Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Credibility

NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

One guy builds a computer specifically for an MMO and keeps his hardware updated. He spends money on MMOs and considers playing MMOs as a hobby. He has invested time and money. He has a sense of attachment to his character and wants to play it to its full potential.

Another guy owns a pre-built computer that he bought at Wal-mart eight years ago and never upgraded it because it "does the job". He casually hops from MMO to MMO every few weeks to play free content and considers playing MMOs are entertainment (like watching tv and movies). He doesn't really care about his character because he'll uninstall the game in a few weeks anyways because he HAS to find another MMO to play do to limitations set by F2P.

When discussing MMOs of the past and the direction MMOs should be heading, which player has more credibility?

*Update*

I noticed a few people focusing on the computer part of this scenario. To clarify, too many times have I read that a game sucks, later finding out that the game "sucks" because the game lags, graphics are bad, and freezes up. Then find out after further prodding that they have a 1999 P4 chip set and 2G RAM running Windows XP.

So yes, it matters what hardware a person has.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by NorseGod

One guy builds a computer specifically for an MMO and keeps his hardware updated. He spends money on MMOs and considers playing MMOs as a hobby. He has invested time and money. He has a sense of attachment to his character and wants to play it to its full potential.

Another guy owns a pre-built computer that he bought at Wal-mart eight years ago and never upgraded it because it "does the job". He casually hops from MMO to MMO every few weeks to play free content and considers playing MMOs are entertainment (like watching tv and movies). He doesn't really care about his character because he'll uninstall the game in a few weeks anyways because he HAS to find another MMO to play do to limitations set by F2P.

When discussing MMOs of the past and the direction MMOs should be heading, which player has more credibility?

And you don't realize at all how you're coming across right now? Seriously?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Both opinions are valid.

And I fit firmly into the first example. I dont consider myself a gamer, Im a hobbyist.

I have and will spend thousands of dollars on my hobby.

The problem lies in what the developers are doing. Its not the players ruining the genre. Its the developers who focus only on one aspect of this MMO market.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • DiodemDiodem Member Posts: 52

I don't understand the question.... credibility? As far as what is concerned?

How do you expect to find better games unless you try new ones?

So you built a computer for an MMO and think that makes you cool....?

So far I haven't found any mmo's that are worth buying a single computer for, not even when I've pre-ordered games.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
     I don't quite get at what you're coming at with this thread. I guess you're starting another "hardcore vs. casual" debate. Neither people have any more or less credibility. Ones preference does not rule someone else's out.

No, I'm just interested in knowing who you guys would give more weight to.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
    Originally posted by Hokie

Both opinions are valid.

And I fit firmly into the first example. I dont consider myself a gamer, Im a hobbyist.

I have and will spend thousands of dollars on my hobby.

The problem lies in what the developers are doing. Its not the players ruining the genre. Its the developers who focus only on one aspect of this MMO market.

I know exactly what you are implying in regards with developers. I agree.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
     I don't quite get at what you're coming at with this thread. I guess you're starting another "hardcore vs. casual" debate. Neither people have any more or less credibility. Ones preference does not rule someone else's out.

No, I'm just interested in knowing who you guys would give more weight to.

My guess is the hardcore guy weighs more, but if you had to get on the scale with the computer you never said how big the case was for each. So we really don't have all the info.

:)

this isn't the way it works in real life, I used to own several pre-built computers until I started setting them up on my own.

I used to avoid online games way way back, and by now I've played alot of them.

You can't exclude people just because they're trying different things and prefer other things than the elitists.

The real issue is lack of good games, not players.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    None of what you wrote gives one side more credibility over the other.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

Originally posted by Diodem

this isn't the way it works in real life, I used to own several pre-built computers until I started setting them up on my own.

You can't exclude people just because they're trying different things and prefer other things than the elitists.

You're missing the point.

I gave examples of both extremes. The hobbyist that puts everything (time, money, and thought) into gaming and the guy that "doesn't give a shit" and is just here for "free entertainment".

Which one would you want representing you if a gaming company asked for their opinion about MMOs?

• TheAncientTheAncient Member Posts: 67

It's an apples versus oranges arguement.

I've played computer based games for 35 years, my 21 year old son has played for 18 years. Both of us has invested a ton of cash & time in our gaming pursuits, so who has the most credibility?

Neither of us.

We disagree on many things in our gaming hobby, he has as many MMO hours under his belt as me, but has a somewhat different experience as you might expect. We're just different people, but both our opinions are valid.

If Joe NewtoMMORPGS walked in and and tried a title, his opinion would be important also, because if that title didn't appeal the you can bet the creator of that title would want to know why, simply because they want everyone to be interested enough to lay down cash.

Grammar edit.

That depends on how you're looking at it, If you're a developer and you see that said customer doesn't give a shit. Maybe you'll try to cater towards that customer so that they'll come back more. They've already made the hobbyist a returning customer so there's technically no reason to appease them.

Do they ever come back? When should a company give up on those that bail in the first 30 days and work on retaining the hobbyists for years straight, like the way it use to be? Isn't 200K greater than 50K? Out of all games listed on this site, how many have more than 200k active players (US/EU)?

Originally posted by TheAncient

It's an apples versus oranges arguement.

I've played computer based games for 35 years, my 21 year old son has played for 18 years. Both of us has invested a ton of cash & time in our gaming pursuits, so who has the most credibility?

Neither of us.

We disagree on many things in our gaming hobby, he has as many MMO hours under his belt as me, but has a somewhat different experience as you might expect. We're just different people, but both our opinions are valid.

If Joe NewtoMMORPGS walked in and and tried a title, his opinion would be important also, because if that title didn't appeal the you can bet the creator of that title would want to know why, simply because they want everyone to be interested enough to lay down cash.

Grammar edit.

And I would say that you both are hobbyist and have experience. I would listen to what you and your son, even if having opposing views, would have to say about MMOs.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

The one with more credibility is the one that doesn't feel the need to resort to claiming that the hardware he owns gives him more credibility.

Actually, the one with more credibility is the one who can type coherent forum posts that lucidly communicate his point.  Given two random MMORPG players, the probability that both can type coherent forum posts is pretty low, so let's assume that at least one of the players in the original post cannot.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    I can't believe anyone took this seriously.
  • FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906

That depends on how you're looking at it, If you're a developer and you see that said customer doesn't give a shit. Maybe you'll try to cater towards that customer so that they'll come back more. They've already made the hobbyist a returning customer so there's technically no reason to appease them.

Do they ever come back? When should a company give up on those that bail in the first 30 days and work on retaining the hobbyists for years straight, like the way it use to be? Isn't 200K greater than 50K? Out of all games listed on this site, how many have more than 200k active players (US/EU)?

Well, at that rate you can do any combination of 3 things.

Please the crowd that's staying within the game.

Please the crowd that's starting to leave the game.

Please the crowd that has yet to pick up the game.

Not much point in sticking with an mmo for more than a month when there is no vision or commitment to it. If it's disposable to the makers it will be to the players as well.

CCP and EVE are about the only major mmo to have any commitment.

I guess that would fall under "staying" in your list?

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

Originally posted by DamonVile
    I can't believe anyone took this seriously.

We get it man. Some how this fictitious scenario hurt your feelings. Hit report, make up a reason, and move on.

I don't see anything wrong with their replies to my OP and I enjoy reading their opinions.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well i think the OP misses his own point.

When you watch a movie and it is good,you watch it to the end,you even become attached to the characters,plot everything is intriguing,your on the edge of your seat.When a movie is bad,you might just leave or only watch it if you spent the money on it to rent it.

If you are hopping game to game there is no excuse other than the games are not for you.There is NEVER any time constraint excuses because nobody is in a rush here,well many are ,does not mean you have to be.

The biggest point of all is YOUR TIME.If you just hop in and out,then you are not becoming attached and not really enjoying them,you are wasting TIME of your life that you will never get back.

On the other hand,if you spend a lot of time in a game,then you obviously found one you like,therefore enjoyment and NOT wasting your time.

The point actually becomes even more relevant if you are using the excuse that time is valuable.If it is so valuable to use as an excuse then you better darn well find something you enjoy so much as to not waste your time away.

I could probably pick ANY form of entertainment and i bet that if it was all made faster and cut in 1/4 people would feel slighted.

I don't hear people saying,oh man this movie is awesome,i hope it only lasts 10 minutes.Junior gets all his new hockey equipment for Christmas,goes outside to play with his friends and says,man this is fun playing hockey,let's quit in 5 minutes,i don't have the time.Point is people are investing a lot of time in the same hobby over and over because they enjoy it,they ONLY make excuses of the cost,not that fun lasts too long.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by FinalFikus

Well, at that rate you can do any combination of 3 things.

Please the crowd that's staying within the game.

Please the crowd that's starting to leave the game.

Please the crowd that has yet to pick up the game.

Not much point in sticking with an mmo for more than a month when there is no vision or commitment to it. If it's disposable to the makers it will be to the players as well.

CCP and EVE are about the only major mmo to have any commitment.

I guess that would fall under "staying" in your list?

Do you think TSW falls into that as well? Smaller player base, but they are there to stay it seems.

Maybe too early to say. Not sure.

Originally posted by Wizardry

Well i think the OP misses his own point.

When you watch a movie and it is good,you watch it to the end,you even become attached to the characters,plot everything is intriguing,your on the edge of your seat.When a movie is bad,you might just leave or only watch it if you spent the money on it to rent it.

If you are hopping game to game there is no excuse other than the games are not for you.There is NEVER any time constraint excuses because nobody is in a rush here,well many are ,does not mean you have to be.

The biggest point of all is YOUR TIME.If you just hop in and out,then you are not becoming attached and not really enjoying them,you are wasting TIME of your life that you will never get back.

On the other hand,if you spend a lot of time in a game,then you obviously found one you like,therefore enjoyment and NOT wasting your time.

The point actually becomes even more relevant if you are using the excuse that time is valuable.If it is so valuable to use as an excuse then you better darn well find something you enjoy so much as to not waste your time away.

I could probably pick ANY form of entertainment and i bet that if it was all made faster and cut in 1/4 people would feel slighted.

I don't hear people saying,oh man this movie is awesome,i hope it only lasts 10 minutes.Junior gets all his new hockey equipment for Christmas,goes outside to play with his friends and says,man this is fun playing hockey,let's quit in 5 minutes,i don't have the time.Point is people are investing a lot of time in the same hobby over and over because they enjoy it,they ONLY make excuses of the cost,not that fun lasts too long.

When the movie is over, do you keep watching it over and over or toss it aside?

You're missing the point.

I gave examples of both extremes. The hobbyist that puts everything (time, money, and thought) into gaming and the guy that "doesn't give a shit" and is just here for "free entertainment".

Which one would you want representing you if a gaming company asked for their opinion about MMOs?

They don't ask for an opinion, they look at what sells. To game companies it's about what makes most money, or what they think is most profitable.