Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I dont know how this is popular.

Comments

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by Kyleran

From what I've read from multiple sources, it's a well made, standard theme park MMORPG, around a popular IP.

People like those, look how many have sold previously since WOW firmly established the model, not surprising this title is doing well. 

Also they had very fortunate timing, there's nothing new of substance anywhere near their launch, so they benefit greatly by being the only thing new in town.

TESO, Wildstar and some others will all go through this same cycle when they launch, with varying degrees of success.

Well I didnt follow Wildstar, due to I think the graphics look terrible. But I will try Elder scrolls, based on that the character creation has so many options, It looks akin to Aion. 

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by ZizouX

I think you came in knowing you wouldn't like and ended up confirming your own predisposition.  Good luck finding that suits your tastes.   Good news is, you won't have to repeat your mistake by subbing to the game.

I think that's a rather silly assertion to make. 

I'd say someone willing to spend ~$30 on a game, and spend enough time playing it to get several characters leveled to at least 15 (plenty of time to get a basic feel for any MMO) is much more likely to want to enjoy it. 

To put it another way: How often do you spend money on things, just so you can "confirm your predisposition" to not like it? How many people do you know who actually spend money on something they know, or suspect they won't like... just to "prove it"? 

Consider it a lesson learned and move on.  You don't have to understand why we like it, you just have to move on to another game.  Good luck.

Yet, if someone comes in here and just says "they don't like it" without any specific reasons, the first thing many will hit them with is "Well, you didn't tell us why you don't like it, so we have nothing to go on". 

Seems to me if it's relevant to know why someone doesn't like something, then it's just as relevant to wonder why people do like something, no?

Or is that just another of the myriad double-standards this game's community operates by?

• thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408
    I'll admit it's hard to take someone's opinion seriously when they're so profoundly negative about nearly every aspect of a solid game.  On the strength of the game's armory system, crafting, art and animation, and polish alone the game sets itself up as being decent.  I didn't play past my free month but that had more to do with the shaky launch and a sub fee that didn't feel justified than it being a shoddy game.  Maybe it's just that I've played MMOs that were a lot worse than FFXIV.
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by thecapitaine
    I'll admit it's hard to take someone's opinion seriously when they're so profoundly negative about nearly every aspect of a solid game.  On the strength of the game's armory system, crafting, art and animation, and polish alone the game sets itself up as being decent.  I didn't play past my free month but that had more to do with the shaky launch and a sub fee that didn't feel justified than it being a shoddy game.  Maybe it's just that I've played MMOs that were a lot worse than FFXIV.

No less difficult than it is to take people who are overly positive about everything, and completely dismiss or ignore anything that actually deserves criticism, which is how a large portion of this game's fan-base is.

Yet, I don't see anyone calling those people out.

The double-standards in this game's community are amazing to watch play out.

• thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408
    Originally posted by TangentPoint

No less difficult than it is to take people who are overly positive about everything, and completely dismiss or ignore anything that actually deserves criticism, which is how a large portion of this game's fan-base is.

Are you talking about me or are you talking in general?  Because if you're going to quote me then make comments about double-standards, I'd quite appreciate you putting a bit of evidence on the table that I'm guilty of that.

You are right about one thing, though, it is no less difficult to take a person's sunshiney opinion about the flawless virtues of a game seriously.  Let's be honest here, though.  On this site, there's not a positive thread for any game that doesn't see people called out for being fanboys or having a rose-tinted or biased opinion of some game.  There's hardly a double standard at play when you're as apt to find zealots arguing on either side of every single game, feature, thread, or topic.

• akkedis86akkedis86 Member UncommonPosts: 123

While your points might be valid, consider the following:

1)This not a AAA MMO that requires AAA fees and subs. There are better games that are free to play.( and that says something)

2)This is a unvoiced MMO.(in this day and age for a sub MMO that is absolutely unacceptable).

3)Main stories and cutscenes are largely unvoiced.

4)The initial exclusion of PVP is essentially presenting half a game (in my opinion).

5)Painfully boring combat and monsters.

There is nothing that could let me stay. I resubbed, played for ten minutes, then stopped.

*Grabs Popcorn

• MMOredfalconMMOredfalcon Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Umm without dissecting every last part,i will point to the credibility of the statement here.

Boss=Ifrit just using ONE example,he is like all the other mobs you face only a bigger version?It is not even the same type of combat anymore and definitely much more difficult.

I will agree the combat is not as good as it should be,but that is comparing it to FFXI which has the best.If i compare it to other games,then it is basically the same thing but with mutli classing offers MORE to the game.

The statement of killing creatures over and over,umm ya what do you think combat is suppose to be?

The opening quests/movies are the same?Are you serious lol,they are actually better than any game's opening quests on the planet,they are really nice 3d animated cut scene movies.They piut a ton more effort into creating those than simply dropping you down in the middle of nowhere and have EVERY player run to the EXACT same yellow marker hoping to get some meaningless quest to gain xp,then run to the next yellow marker,rinse and repeat.

At least in this type of game you get CHOICE,you can go to several different places to kill mobs,or if doing the boring daily routine like every other game,at least you have choice in what Fates or what Leves to do,you are not FORCED to follow in a linear fashion to the NEXT yellow marker.although this game has some of that as well.

I have no idea what game the OP is looking for or has played,but won't be finding it judging by  reading  those inaccurate game analogies,because every other game is the same or WORSE,aside from FFXI which was the first to multi class and do things differently.

You see i have played 99% of all mainstream games and they are ALL identical,follow the yellow question marks around,no need to think,just watch your level numbers until you hit end game ,then you can toss around terms like L33t and Raiding and hardcore.

I don't t hink you played the same game as the OP...or myself? As I recall...the opening movie was the same for every character I created. No matter what race it was. In that carriage and those freaky winged fat cats trumpeting away. After making a fifth character...I couldn't handle the opening movie n shut it off and never went back. And then you get dropped down into a city and every player is running the same or similar marker hopping. How is that really different? And killing mobs is no different in this game than any others. You grab a quest to your level and you go out n grind away. Don't say it is vastly different than any other MMO. It is the same. 

And FFXI is not the first to multi class, nor have they done anything differently. 

I too have played almost all of the mainstream games since starting MMOs in 97 with UO. This one is pretty much identical to all the rest. There is no need to think, just follow from one quest to the next. Run threw small zones.  And just level up till you hit endgame so you can raid over and over again for better equipment.

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Because no other MMO has come out recently. That's about it. People will get bored of this quickly, like all other WoW based themeparks.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

FF is a decent game yet incredibly repetitive.  One of the most repetitive I've ever played.  But it just goes to show you how large a sub market still exists.  Most of the people playing this game aren't even FF fans they just want a polished game that doesn't daggle a cash shop in your face every 2 mins.  A game that places all honest players on a level playing field.  Not based on how much money you spend.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    I took a break to play Assasin's Creeed 4. When i came back, our entire FC is empty...and the last person logged in 28 days ago...I think they ran out of things to do that they hadn't already done several times.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by spankybus
    I took a break to play Assasin's Creeed 4. When i came back, our entire FC is empty...and the last person logged in 28 days ago...I think they ran out of things to do that they hadn't already done several times.

Erm...so you took a close to one month break and was surprised that your FC either quit or went to a different FC?

Color me surprised.

Heck, my FC absorbed 4 FCs in the last week alone and we are picky and small.  Just think about what the larger ones are doing.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I dont know how this is popular.

Dedicated crafting and gathering classes with their own resource pools, stats, gear and abilities.

The ability to craft high quality goods with your name on it, dye system, and melding risk vs reward.

A dynamic economy that has multiple facets of supply and demand.

Player and guild housing on the way starting with FC housing next month.

Chocobos that you can level up, customize and soon breed and race.

Great graphics, sound, and music.

A dedicated development team backed by a solid company and a commitment to pay to play model.

Those are some reasons why this game is popular. It may not be reasons you like. But you seemed to want to know, so there you go :)

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

You don't have to know why this game is popular, it's not your job to do so. All you can do is give your opinion on the game, which might I add I disagree with you. But, that is all you are going to get from the forums, peoples opinions. They aren't (myself included) in a position as to why it is or not. We can only tell you what we like and don't like. You don't like this game? That's fine. Don't play it, find a game that calls to you, a game that you like playing and enjoy it. Better time spent. 

As to why I enjoy this game:

1) I like how the game actually feels like a Final Fantasy game, to which I am a big fan of their franchise.

2) I like the story and the dialog. I like how characters have personality. 

3) I like the graphics. 

4) I like the dungeons, the raiding, the community in general. I tend to have a lot more fun talking to people via linkshells than I do an FC though. 

5) I like how I have the option to do everything on one character, which is ideal if you only bought into that level of sub. I took the higher one, so I actually make new characters rather than grinding content. 

6) I love the cities, the lore and environments as well as the monsters which come from other Final Fantasy Franchises.

7) I like the animations, for both character and monsters. 

8) I love the crafting system, I really enjoy it in fact. 

9) I love exploring the world and finding vistas 

10) I love the fact that people tend to group up a lot more with the content than just the dungeons and raids. 

There's a lot of things I like, there are also some things I dislike as well. But, the pros outweigh the cons for me and as long as I keep enjoying it I'll keep playing it. 

I also play other MMO's too, so I get a nice break when I need it to play other things. Currently enjoying WoW and The Secret World. 

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

2 of my really good E-friends are really into FFXIV and every night after raiding they jump in Path of Exile and play with me and try to tell me about how great raiding is and how much farming weekly dungeons for their raiding/dungeon currency.  I usually let them tell me how great it is while ignoring everything they say because none of that style of play interests me in the least.

But then again they both are just as callous toward my passion with Elder Scrolls Online so I suppose it's a give and take trade off sort of relationship.  But I do hear ya OP, I feel FFXIV is really bad in terms of new and unique systems.  Not only that but apparently theres only a handful of classes that are suited to endgame with so many classes being used for leveling/farming but not suited to endgame activities.  Pretty stupid if you ask me. 

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• hammarushammarus Member UncommonPosts: 196
    I like the game. I am going to play for awhile.  Only two things bother me about the game one being the reliance on dungeon events to advance your storyline (this can take from 5 to 45 minutes of wait time depending on class). And Fates being the major driver for XP, and seal (a type of coinage), for the game.
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by drivendawn

I see people on both sides with bad behavior so I don't see the double standard here.

I agree with Driven.  There is no double standard on these forums.  It is simply a case of both sides taking their opinions to the extreme. 

Final Fantasy is neither the "Best game ever!"  nor is it "Rubbish".   It is simply a game with good points and bad points which depending on your preferences, means you may enjoy it or you may not.

Instead of calling out people on double standards we should be calling for more objectivity when we post our opinions on games, either positive or negative.   A good place to start is not entitling your post " I don't know how this game is popular"  Right away that confers that people who do like the game are "Insert derogatory comment here" .   A better way to start would be "Final Fantasy was not the game for me, here is why."

It seems rather than a double standard, many people on this site just consider their opinion to be infallible, and want to incite others who don't agree with it.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Boneserino
    Originally posted by drivendawn

I see people on both sides with bad behavior so I don't see the double standard here.

I agree with Driven.  There is no double standard on these forums.  It is simply a case of both sides taking their opinions to the extreme. 

Final Fantasy is neither the "Best game ever!"  nor is it "Rubbish".   It is simply a game with good points and bad points which depending on your preferences, means you may enjoy it or you may not.

Instead of calling out people on double standards we should be calling for more objectivity when we post our opinions on games, either positive or negative.   A good place to start is not entitling your post " I don't know how this game is popular"  Right away that confers that people who do like the game are "Insert derogatory comment here" .   A better way to start would be "Final Fantasy was not the game for me, here is why."

It seems rather than a double standard, many people on this site just consider their opinion to be infallible, and want to incite others who don't agree with it.

Can't agree with you more.  But I think him calling out only this game's community is a double standard in itself when every forum on this site you go to you see the same things happening.  Makes one think that he has an agenda.

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874
    FFXIV is only doing decently well atm cause it came out in a time where no new MMOs are coming and wont be for probably 6 more months. It is just a case of a well timed release, that is all. 
    Originally posted by Otakun
    FFXIV is only doing decently well atm cause it came out in a time where no new MMOs are coming and wont be for probably 6 more months. It is just a case of a well timed release, that is all. 

Or maybe it's actually a good game and people actually enjoy it?  Is that so hard to believe?

Originally posted by vandal5627

Or maybe it's actually a good game and people actually enjoy it?  Is that so hard to believe?

Not debating if the game is good or not from that statement. There have been plenty of good games that don't last decently well but get dropped due for the next big game release. It's just how people's mentalities are with MMO gaming. Though, to consider FFXIV a good game? Hardly, it was a horrible game that was remade to be playable. That is all. 

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Not debating if the game is good or not.... Though, a good game? hardly, it is a horrible game remade to be playable. 

Contradicting statements. Game has pros and cons. I think its a well made mmo and has long term sustainability.

Not debating if the game is good or not. There have been plenty of good games that don't last decently well but get dropped due for the next big game release. Though, a good game? hardly, it is a horrible game remade to be playable. 

Wait, did you just say you're not debating if the game is good or bad and come out saying the game is bad?  I respect your opinion and I respectfully disagree.  To each his own.

Originally posted by Foomerang

Not debating if the game is good or not.... Though, a good game? hardly, it is a horrible game remade to be playable. 

Contradicting statements. Game has pros and cons. I think its a well made mmo and has long term sustainability.

I editted the post to more convey what I meant to say more properly. 

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

To be honest the games just ok, when you put it up against quality mmos it pales. Hmm perhaps quality and pale are the wrong words to use. The game has a certain style, you love it or hate imo, playing lotro again today you realize what a beautiful looking world and fantastic story the game has.

Both games have their good points.

What are these quality mmo's you speak of? Speaking of lotro that game has some of the worst character models and combat animations i have seen in an mmo, but the world does look nice.

Not debating if the game is good or not from that statement. There have been plenty of good games that don't last decently well but get dropped due for the next big game release. It's just how people's mentalities are with MMO gaming. Though, to consider FFXIV a good game? Hardly, it was a horrible game that was remade to be playable. That is all. 

Even though you're not debating in that statement, my response to your statement is that maybe the game doing well has more to do with it then just good timing?  I agree with you on the initial lauch of the game, it was horrendous.  I can't even say it was a good game without a straight face but with ARR, I can honestly say the game is good to me with a straight face.  :)

This discussion has been closed.