Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA Reveals that their SW deal done in May 2013 lasts a full decade

Comments

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Bioware focused on the Storyline With full voice overs. That's where all the Money went. Was never a Secret!

That is not true.  James Ohlen stated the following earlier this year:

"[Voice acting] was a known entity, and cost was quite low in comparison to the cost of the rest of the project."

Source:  http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/03/29/gdc-2013-james-ohlen-on-how-f2p-saved-swtor/

James Ohlen is the Pinocchio of Bioware. Come on now.

If you read his entire quote, you can perfectly read that he is contradicting himself!

He is just trying to put out the flames, because the game was being bashed on that and nothing else.

It's the primary reason why they will do general planetary storylines only from now on and discontinue the personal class storylines.

Simply because it's too expensive. They don't get the funds for it anymore.

Here have a look at this: http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/01/06/star-wars-the-old-republic-scoops-guinness-world-record-for-voice-acting/

Come back to me when you've read that and tell me that Voice overs didn't eat a HUGE chunk of their Development Budget.

For sure it was a massive cost. 200 voice actors and 200.000 lines? Yeah if they even used half decent actors, which from the sound of it they did, that would cost tens of millions. And I read somewhere else that it took 12 full time writers over two years to write all those lines. Think about that and how much that costs.

And when you look at the rest of the game. Relatively small ThemePark worlds and licensed Hero Engine, where else was the huge production time and money spent?

try looking at the intro cinematics

they were made by a different studio, and they dont look cheap

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

SWG will always be a more immersive MMO than SWTOR will ever be.

Quite sad really......if you're a SWTOr developer/publisher.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by LoverNoFighter

That depends on what you find immersive, doesn't it?  If the thing that most helps your immersion is a quality narrative, TOR is lightyears beyond SWG.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• ArzhAngelArzhAngel Member Posts: 427
    true
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

As with all Swtor threads this has been derailed long ago by the trolls who simply bitch about SWG and Swtor.

Not even sure why there is a Swtor forum here or why people bother with a subject line if all that happens is "SWTOR ... SWG ... bitch ... moan ... bitch ... moan ..."

You stay sassy!

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Originally posted by TeknoBug

lol SWTOR 2 will never happen, most of Bioware disolved anyways. There will be other SW based games, Battlefront will be one of them, but I have no faith in EA, they continue to go in a bad direction no matter what. I'm disappointed in this because I'm a long time SW fan and EA is one of the worst gaming companies so this paints a sour image for the future of Star Wars.

Now I only hope JJ Abrams does a good job with the next Star Wars movie, that's all that matters to me, screw SW based games.

Man, the lens flare will be spectacular. The plots entirely magical with Sith super-blood saving the life of Luke's son while Leia and Han's daughter and her boyfriend argue about relationship issues in the background before the big imperial showdown that will be set to thumping yet classical sounding music and amount to a big laser flash show where you only see the image of the ships because he is artistic that way. It'll sell millions of tickets but we will not remember the details by the time the sequel hits theaters. But for some reason like five year olds who heard a cool sound moments ago, we will still ogle and awe like it's cool.

Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

lol SWTOR 2 will never happen, most of Bioware disolved anyways. There will be other SW based games, Battlefront will be one of them, but I have no faith in EA, they continue to go in a bad direction no matter what. I'm disappointed in this because I'm a long time SW fan and EA is one of the worst gaming companies so this paints a sour image for the future of Star Wars.

Now I only hope JJ Abrams does a good job with the next Star Wars movie, that's all that matters to me, screw SW based games.

Man, the lens flare will be spectacular. The plots entirely magical with Sith super-blood saving the life of Luke's son while Leia and Han's daughter and her boyfriend argue about relationship issues in the background before the big imperial showdown that will be set to thumping yet classical sounding music and amount to a big laser flash show where you only see the image of the ships because he is artistic that way. It'll sell millions of tickets but we will not remember the details by the time the sequel hits theaters. But for some reason like five year olds who heard a cool sound moments ago, we will still ogle and awe like it's cool.

Amusing, but let's not forget that either of the Abrams Trek movies was better than any other Trek product for what, about 15 years?  And the worst thing the man has ever touched is still better than any of Lucas' prequels, or the Endor portions of RotJ.

The Force shall free me.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Originally posted by CazNeerg

Amusing, but let's not forget that either of the Abrams Trek movies was better than any other Trek product for what, about 15 years?  And the worst thing the man has ever touched is still better than any of Lucas' prequels, or the Endor portions of RotJ.

True enough man. But his films are fast food summer movie flicks that might be a better grade of mental fertilizer than your typical grind house film but none the less are in the same category of crap. Even if they are likely to be better than the current series of Wars books.

• shane782shane782 Member Posts: 23

I played SWG for 6 years and it always had its ups and downs....... i remember people complaining about grinding and why cant we have missions like this new game wow. I remember when people complained that getting jedi was too hard and that no other game out there had a god class. There were people who wanted less buffs, people who wanted the best weapons to be looted instead of making them, people who wanted a third faction, people who were sick of openworld pvp and would rage log because thier faction got a beat down and cried because there were other games that had arena pvp or instance pvp.

SWG was killed because slowly everyone in it found games that catered to them and left but they never realized until it was to late that SWG had many good things in it. Hundreds of customizable classes, Massive player crafting community, massive PVP battles, Everything in the game was for he most part custom. I loved the game but ive moved on i dont get into many other games but thats because that was the game that did fit me .... maybe it didnt fit everyone but hey i had fun it was fun while it lasted.

Oh and they did make a game that was just like it....... it was called Fallen Earth. I think if the combat was better that game would of been huge.

True enough man. But his films are fast food summer movie flicks that might be a better grade of mental fertilizer than your typical grind house film but none the less are in the same category of crap. Even if they are likely to be better than the current series of Wars books.

star wars+ Disney= Family entertainment

this is big business now, they will go for the widest appeal

ill have to see the movies, before i rate them

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

A new Star Wars game by Disney and Luasarts coming in 2014, looks similar to GS but with Original Trilogy ships

http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-attack-squadrons-space-combat-game-coming-soon.html

Originally posted by superniceguy

A new Star Wars game by Disney and Luasarts coming in 2014, looks similar to GS but with Original Trilogy ships

Snooze.  It looks like somebody took a real single player Star Wars space sim with a tiny amount of tacked on multiplayer content, then inexplicably scrapped the actual game and decided to just release the afterthought quality multiplayer.

The Force shall free me.

Snooze.  It looks like somebody took a real single player Star Wars space sim with a tiny amount of tacked on multiplayer content, then inexplicably scrapped the actual game and decided to just release the afterthought quality multiplayer.

yup, and its from LA

maybe i check it out, if i can get it really cheap

but at full Price? no chance

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by simplius

yup, and its from LA

It is free to play, but they will probably get money from a cash shop

It is immediately better than GS as it can handle 16 vs 16. GS is only 12 vs 12

Battlefront will probably beat it with 64 vs 64

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Not from LA the software studio of course - Disney having gutted the software studio side of LA after they took over. Makes sense for Disney to leverage the LA brand name however.

And whether Disney develop it in house or out source chunks .. ?

Wouldn't be surprised if EA knew about this when they did their deal - it would make sense for EA to ask what they might be planning. Which may have influenced when they released the SSSP. Maybe not of course.

It does underscore that Disney retained the right to develop / publish SW games themselves - although in this case Area 52 had done a deal with LA (or Disney?) before the deal with EA. 

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

That depends on what you find immersive, doesn't it?  If the thing that most helps your immersion is a quality narrative, TOR is lightyears beyond SWG.

I'd rather make my own story than play one handed to me.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by CazNeerg Originally posted by LoverNoFighter SWG will always be a more immersive MMO than SWTOR will ever be. Quite sad really......if you're a SWTOr developer/publisher.

Then why are you playing video games? The vast majority of games exist to present the player with some sort of narrative. Very few exist for the player to create their own narrative. Even SWG presented the player with a narrative.

I'm not knocking the idea, but it just seems that the hobby you're choosing to participate in runs counter to your goals.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

yup, and its from LA

It is free to play, but they will probably get money from a cash shop

It is immediately better than GS as it can handle 16 vs 16. GS is only 12 vs 12

Battlefront will probably beat it with 64 vs 64

a star wars game, stsrting as F2P? thats new..i Wonder, why?

after the abysmal BF2, im not trying BF3, not even for free

Given the average quality of "RP" stories I have seen people creating in games over the last couple decades, I'll take the professionally developed ones, thanks.  Bad fan fiction is one thing, but most of what passes for RP in online games would need about a thousandfold improvement to aspire to the label of "bad."

The Force shall free me.

Given the average quality of "RP" stories I have seen people creating in games over the last couple decades, I'll take the professionally developed ones, thanks.  Bad fan fiction is one thing, but most of what passes for RP in online games would need about a thousandfold improvement to aspire to the label of "bad."

one of swtors missions would have the player poison a field , that is smaller, than a stamp

on a planet, that they, apparantly, are about to conquer

this is just as bad , as any user created mission, ive ever tried

you have the choice, not to play user created content yourself

but, taking that choice from others..?

one of swtors missions would have the player poison a field , that is smaller, than a stamp

There is a difference between "user created content" and what most people mean when they say "making your own story."  User created content is when the developers provide you with a toolset you can use to actually, you know, create content.  What most people are talking about when they gush over how much better it is to "make your own story" than to play professionally developed content is using the chat channels and /emotes in the online equivalent of the "special" class at an elementary school's contribution to a school play.

SWG did not have the tools for users to create content, and the contrast between SWG and TOR is what myself and the other poster were discussing.

The Force shall free me.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

There is a difference between "user created content" and what most people mean when they say "making your own story."  User created content is when the developers provide you with a toolset you can use to actually, you know, create content.  What most people are talking about when they gush over how much better it is to "make your own story" than to play professionally developed content is using the chat channels and /emotes in the online equivalent of the "special" class at an elementary school's contribution to a school play.

SWG did not have the tools for users to create content, and the contrast between SWG and TOR is what myself and the other poster were discussing.

SWTOR doesn't have a toolset either.

It does have an array of emotes, but most of them cost money to buy.  Even if subscribed.

Point lost.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    Originally posted by BadOrb

Will this news shut up the SWG people from asking for a SWG2 ? No , obviously.

Of course it won't! Only because SWG was the best game ever and SWTOR will never measure up to it ever and I hate SOE and Lucasarts and Bioware and EA and WoW and the general assembly.......

Not for nothing, but with everyone cloning everyone else, SoE (If they wanted to) could easily clone SWG and lose the SW part of it. This could have been done years ago. But I'm pretty sure they won't

Next best thing in this area is The Repopulation, but I'm not putting much stock in that title. 

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Of course it won't! Only because SWG was the best game ever and SWTOR will never measure up to it ever and I hate SOE and Lucasarts and Bioware and EA and WoW and the general assembly.......

Not for nothing, but with everyone cloning everyone else, SoE (If they wanted to) could easily clone SWG and lose the SW part of it. This could have been done years ago. But I'm pretty sure they won't

Next best thing in this area is The Repopulation, but I'm not putting much stock in that title. 

Shh.. EA might buy them out too!

Of course it would be fitting if they did. :-(

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Originally posted by Karteli

SWTOR doesn't have a toolset either.

It does have an array of emotes, but most of them cost money to buy.  Even if subscribed.

Point lost.

Your reading comprehension is a bit off, isn't it?  Nobody said TOR has a toolset.  Someone responded to my post about "making your own story" through bad RP in SWG not holding a narrative candle to professionally developed content in TOR with a post about user created content being better than some quests in TOR, and I pointed out that user created content had nothing to do with a discussion of TOR vs. SWG.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

It wouldn't take much to do it, since there was barely anything SW about vanilla SWG in the first place.

The Force shall free me.