Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Trove: Trion's Next Big Thing

Comments

• iamrtaiamrta Member UncommonPosts: 165
    I want them to make Defiance better instead of wasting resources on this. This F2P thing is starting to leave a sour taste in my mouth.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Originally posted by theglenn3
    Originally posted by Siphaed
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Wow this looks exactly like Cubeworld https://picroma.com/cubeworld

Except, from my understanding you can't build/destroy in CubeWorld.  That game is just explore in a random generated voxel world; where as Trove is explore, destroy, build, and so on.  Seems Trove is more like Minecraft, only better supported than what current Minecraft is...

you can build and destroy in cubeworld

Not like in eqn, minecraft, or trove.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I just don't see it differentiating itself enough from whats already out there. I understand game ideas get stolen all the time. But I'm kind of surprised this game is so close to its originator. Especially coming from Trion. Bigger studios tend to at least try and put their own spin on a borrowed concept (EQN), but this is like literally looking at minecraft with a texture and lighting mod.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Looks like a more polished version of cube world. Cube world is a neat concept, but it controls and plays like garbage
  • SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548
    Come on guys, you have a smart team over at Trion.  Do you really have to make a Cube World clone?  I hope there are signficiant improvements from Cube World.
  • jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598

Visually it doesn't look very interesting, but I still prefer the look to the half assed attempt by EQN.  At least this looks kind of retro, EQN just looks old.  Also from what I have read about EQN building mechanics/concepts EQN sounds kind of weak, which is sad because that sounds like the main part of EQN, where as Troves seems to be more about the adventure.

Either way the looks won't matter if they can nail the gameplay.  Whether or not they can do that is hard to tell at this point.  I wish them the best of luck though because it sounds like they have some good ideas and more good games is never a bad thing.

• EbanyEbany Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Trion should just close it's doors already, make room for a new company with original idea's.
  • A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    A cube world and minecraft ripoff.  How innovative.

And I wrote "Trion milking on someone's idea" and get banned from forums. Mmorpg.com is really starting to feel like it's taking sides. It's not like I was being rude towards other forum user or in fact anyone. Just stating the obvious. It's just another game, trying to ride with Minecraft's success.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Does anyone see a pattern here?

Wow is a big success, lets make lots of clones.

Minecraft is a big success, lets make lots of clones.

Now I don't mind the founding of a new genre, maybe minecraft will create one. But to be a new genre you need to innovate with each new game, to evolve the template. Not just pump out the same game with a new title. But it is only after launch we will be able to say what this is, clone or the next step.

• RavenmaneRavenmane Member Posts: 246

I saw this and thought to myself; "Hey this looks familiar."  Oh yeah it looks just like Cube World.

"If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is probably the answer."
  • ZajjarZajjar Member UncommonPosts: 116
    I am i still living on earth??? THE HELL is this!!!! STOP STOP alrdy with the voxel + minecraft = great bullshit
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by Zajjar
    I am i still living on earth??? THE HELL is this!!!! STOP STOP alrdy with the voxel + minecraft = great bullshit

agreed. 

next month blizzard will announce project titan.  a voxel based building game. 

sad times for mmo players.

• d3ck3rd3ck3r Member UncommonPosts: 17
    seriously Trion? ...
  • ZajjarZajjar Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Indeed, sad times for mmo players...
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

I don't understand what Trion is about anymore. They seem to have a good enough dev team to create a game that will turn heads but then take on projects and don't really make them shine. RIFT and Defiance had the chance to be great games but it's like they stop at 70%. I still have faith though that one day they'll get it right and will prob try this out if it's ftp.

• AtrusVAtrusV Member UncommonPosts: 305
    After seeing the video, I like the concept. However, it looks like a shameless copy of CubeWorld. In fact, Cubeworld only needs the housing system they promised to be a "GREAT" game

• leoo88556leoo88556 Member Posts: 135
    You know... EQNL and EQN are ALSO free to play... just saying...
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    What will there tagline be for this game at launch....."Your not in Cubeworld anymore"? They are doing the same thing as they did for Rift.... taking someones ideas and trying to profit from them.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by leoo88556
    You know... EQNL and EQN are ALSO free to play... just saying...

The differences between EQN and the rest is that EQN is a true genre merge, Trove and all the others are still squarely in Minecraft's genre.

Also, EQN/L doesnt look like its made out of those preschooler legos (duplos?)

• YouSamaYouSama Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Not another Minecraft game.. Dear God, ONE was enough. Stop this.
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by NobleNerd
    What will there tagline be for this game at launch....."Your not in Cubeworld anymore"? They are doing the same thing as they did for Rift.... taking someones ideas and trying to profit from them.

What about WoW - taking Everquests idea and trying to profit for them?

There is an enormous difference between what Blizzard did with EQ -> WoW and Trion did with WoW -> Rift

that said, I dont know enough about cubeworld or trove to know if Trion is doing a direct lift of it vs making a fresh game out of the concept.  Blizzard made a fresh game with WoW, Trion did not make a fresh game with Rift.  If Trove will be fresh or not we just don't know yet.

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

I disagree with the rampant comparrisons of Rift to Wow, they are vastly different themeparks. Is Trove going to be inspired by Minecraft, well that's a no brainer, will it be Trion's own title ... you can be assured of that. Minecrafts a great game, it's fresh air, thank god mmorpg developers are dipping their feet into the water.... I adore terraforming and building in my games.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Eberhardt
    Another minecraft-like game. hmmm.

Nope another Wurm Online-like game, Wurm has been doing this long before minecraft.

Wurm Online is king of terraforming. 

• CenthanCenthan Member Posts: 483

Well, it's good that devs are at least trying things that are different.  The problem is, these "cube" games seem to be the trend now, and all the devs are looking the same trying to look different.

I've always thought gameplay trumped graphics...until I saw Minecraft, and games like them now coming out.  I just can't stand to look at a game where it seems like my Commodore 64 from the 80's had better graphics.  I like the freedom and basic style of games like this, but do we have to now wait another 20 years to get the graphics up to par with at least the year 2000?

Originally posted by Sukiyaki
    Originally posted by syriinx
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by NobleNerd

What about WoW - taking Everquests idea and trying to profit for them?

There is an enormous difference between what Blizzard did with EQ -> WoW and Trion did with WoW -> Rift

"WoW is much more of an EQ clone than Rift is similar to WoW. In fact Rift has nothing to do with WoW. I can name 500 and three things WoW has similar with EQ. If you deny that you are just a blind fanboy in denial of the many objective similarities between WoW and EQ etc pp."

Everyone can make up this nonsense and claim his favourite game holier than another. Dont pretend you opinions and delusions are any better than those of others.

nothing to do with delusions.  comparing at EQ at WoWs launch,  WoW at Rifts launch, and Rift at launch

WoW leveling ->  assign a talent into one of three (fixed) trees.  every 2 levels hit a spell vendor for slightly more powerful versions of older spells.  No progression at max level.

Rift leveling -> assign a talent into one of three (variable) trees.  every 2 levels hit a spell vendor for slightly more powerful versions of older spells.  No progression at max level.

EQ Leveling -> every x levels you buy new spells.  Talent point system starts at high level but points are earned with exp, not given at level up.  heavy progression past max level.  

WoW trade skills -> gathering/production.  Limited crafts per character.  guaranteed success with a combine.  chance of skillup is determined based on level of combine, with skills up automatic if item is slightly lower level than crafting skill.  cant attempt higher combines

Rift trade skills -> gathering/production.  Limited crafts per character.  guaranteed success with a combine.  chance of skillup is determined based on level of combine, with skills up automatic if item is slightly lower level than crafting skill.  cant attempt higher combines

EQ trade skills -> no gathering profession.  Unlimited crafts per character.  No guaranteed skill ups or success.  can attempt any combine at any skill

WoW leveling -> highly quest driven.  questing designed to be done solo.  Dungeons are instanced.  Battlegrounds are an option.  You can grind mobs as an alternative.

Rift leveling -> highly quest driven.  questing designed to be done solo.  Dungeons are instanced.  Battlegrounds are an option.   You can grind mobs or rifts as an alternative

EQ leveling -> group driven.  very few quests.  dungeons are open world.  no battlegrounds.  

There is more where this comes from (the UIs, feel of combat, endgame content, gear color coding, raid style, achievements, etc).  yes, I know some of this changed but just comparing the products at the relevant times.  there is almost nothing shared between OoW era EQ and launch WoW outside of genre staples like leveling, spells, and raiding but there is a LOT shared between wotlk era WoW and Rift launch.