Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Trove: Trion's Next Big Thing

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

What if you could play a game where the sense of newness and awe never went away, because the worlds you explored were different each time you played? That's the fundamental concept behind Trion's Trove, a game the company is calling a "Massive Multiverse Adventure". Read on for what exactly that is, and why Trion's so excited for this new project.

Trove, developed by Trion Worlds, is a Massive Multiverse Adventure game. Your character will live across a series of build-able, destructible, explore-able, and randomly created worlds. Each one will have its own objectives, monsters, buildings, and you'll live in it from the beginning until its end... whatever that may be. Things you might have created in one world, could wind up showing up in the next, as each world will pull from the hundreds or thousands of worlds that came before it. Even though a world might end, you'll carry pieces of it to keep forever in your own Cornerstone, which follows you from world to world and shares your past exploits with friends, strangers, and anyone in the next world. Trove is a game ripe for exploration, creation, destruction, and adventure. It seeks to find that sense of "newness" you experience when you first discover a new world or MMO, and to never let it go by constantly giving you new worlds to explore and conquer.

Read more of our exclusive first look at Trove: Trion's Next Big Thing.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• EberhardtEberhardt Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Another minecraft-like game. hmmm.
  • adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    Is this is the reason we cant get Archeage????  WTF!!

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108
    F2P lol... Probably have to pay for pickaxes and hatchets.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Why would anyone care about this once they get into EQNL?

Trion, I dare you to do something original .

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Actually I think it has some cool ideas. Constantly new worlds with new goals (meaning no frikkin endgame grind :) ), saving stuff to carry over onto next servers, Garriot's SotA-like solo / friend-only / open setting, etc.

Nice preview, I'll put Trove onto the to-do list.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Wow this looks exactly like Cubeworld https://picroma.com/cubeworld

Except, from my understanding you can't build/destroy in CubeWorld.  That game is just explore in a random generated voxel world; where as Trove is explore, destroy, build, and so on.  Seems Trove is more like Minecraft, only better supported than what current Minecraft is...

• shantidevashantideva Member UncommonPosts: 186
    LOL...

"Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night, all day!"

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    Why play tis when EQN looks better and have more interesting combat?
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Well. I love it.

There is certain charm in the blocky worlds where only imagination is the limit.

• theglenn3theglenn3 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Originally posted by Siphaed

Except, from my understanding you can't build/destroy in CubeWorld.  That game is just explore in a random generated voxel world; where as Trove is explore, destroy, build, and so on.  Seems Trove is more like Minecraft, only better supported than what current Minecraft is...

you can build and destroy in cubeworld

Optimizing PC games for consoles is kinda like outfitting your car for a bike trail.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Graphics aren't everything but they are enough of a thing that I won't be playing something that looks like that even for free.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I don't know how to feel about this. On the one hand I think it's great that Voxel based games are taking off. I just like the style. On the other, there is no way that Trion doesn't know about CubeWorld, and the CubeWorld guy has the nearly the most awesome name that a developer can have. Wolfram von Funck. That beats the cr@p out of "Scott Hartsman".

I am further conflicted by the desire to actually play the game and the fact that I think Trion has done decent work with the current crop of stuff, even if it hasn't necessarily been to my taste.

It really does seem like a David and Goliath type scenario, where Trion saw the idea of what von Funck was doing, and thought they could do it better so they co-opted the idea. Unless they bought the idea or brought von Funck in to work with them. That would ease my conscience.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

First of all for those saying EQN looks better, this is a completely different style of graphics so that's 100% your opinion (not to mention EQN's graphics from what I've seen aren't really that fantastic, unless you're someone who enjoys being blinded by the overall brightness of it).

Secondly, for the person who said this looks like Cube World and then linked it to Cube World's site, it's obvious you didn't even read the article as the article mentioned this and they explained that while it may graphically be similar to other games out there they plan on doing completely different things with this MMO.

Third of all, for the person saying that this must be what they were doing instead of working on ArcheAge... Again, you were one of the people who didn't read the article fully apparently because it clearly stated that only two freaking people have been working on this game up until now because now they are getting geared for alpha.

It looks like if people just learned to read their answers would be... well, answered.

Smile

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Sounds good to me. Anything to get away from the static nature of these games is a good thing.

• Iceman8235Iceman8235 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Only a small part of the "magic" of a new MMO is in the map.  The vast majority is in the feeling you get from seeing and understanding the basic concepts for the first time.  If they think random new maps are the only thing they need to keep people from getting bored they're mistaken.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Siphaed
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989 Wow this looks exactly like Cubeworld https://picroma.com/cubeworld

They did not mention player run servers, and keeping worlds running indefinitely doesn't seem like an option. Those are major deviations from Minecraft, and I think CubeWorld. Also, you can build in CubeWorld.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Cubeworld + some minecraft features.

I mean it looks almost exactly like Cubeworld.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Anyone still working on MMORPGs these days? If so does this site still cover them?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767

I have given up on Cubeworld and in my opinion the thing will never see final release. I think what makes me happy about this announcement is that a big company is taking on the whole voxel based game fad.

As much as I love indie games, the voxel based build/rpg/explore games that I have bought are at best crawling towards a release. Aside from Minecraft the games I have supported in this genre are years from completion or have been released and turned out to by abysmal like Ace of Spades or Guncraft as the most recent examples.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Next "big thing" presumes they have at least one big thing already, which they have not.

At last they seem to have found a graphical platform and setting their devs may be able to get performing  -unlike the Gamebryo abomination in Rift.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

Cubeworld + some minecraft features.

I mean it looks almost exactly like Cubeworld.

Cubeworld looks better.

In fact only fault with cubeworld is that its developed by husband and wife that do it as hobby. And have no intention of making nothing serious with it. Including no dedicated multiplayer. Not to say no Massive features.

In fact only real hope for such genre game is Starbound which will have 100 times more features including large dedicated servers , guilds , raids ... you name it.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Anyone still working on MMORPGs these days? If so does this site still cover them?

Molten Studios has an unknown PC game forthcoming in 2015

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/mixing-the-east-and-the-west-why-you-should-be-paying-attention-to-molten-games/

Warhammer 40k is targetting late 2015

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/09/02/pax-prime-2013-behaviour-on-war40k-eternal-crusades-friendly-f/