Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No more instant-gratification from blizzard?

Comments

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by xeniar

We had to ulock it how? by buying it? honestly your not reading what im typing at all.  the thing wich has been changed is that you need to do a specific long questline in order to unlock it now not just handing over some gold. wich means that you have to work abit to get it unlocked. workign for something is the opposite of instant-gratification.

its a very small step away from the hand holding but it is a step.

the issue here is flying who said anything about groundmounts?

I never said this makes the game less of a grind game. I'm saying that by this action blizzard took a small step away from holding evryone's hand.

My god learn to read please.

Oh I am so sorry, I had no idea they implemented an instant gold function to where you log in after an expac and suddenly you have enough to buy flying again...I forgot that is something you don't have to work towards getting anymore...

Yeah...forgot about that bit didn't you?

You are just looking for things to bitch about...and again all while avoiding trying to explain how this doesn't also apply to ground mounts...

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Flying in the game removes all mystery;

Think back to vanillia WoW we have the greymane wall, the AQ gates, Diremaul, Zul'gurub, caverns of time and more, all content we could not access but the mystery was there.  

A great example are the discs you get as a drop in uldaman (http://www.wowwiki.com/Discs_of_Norgannon) dungeon, they task you with traveling to Tanaras to a set of locked gates, you cannot get passed the gates but the discs tell a story and thus the mystery of what is behind is there in full colour.  You cannot do that in todays WoW and that's a great shame.

What if Flying was not in the game with WOTLK, image the cool server wide event they could have staged to progress the opening of icecrown, those 4 or 5 walls before the main citiedal imaging an AQ style server event to take down eacj of those gates with a massive world boss to defeat once the wall is down.

Why do you think they disabled flying in patch 5.2 or what the thunderking patch was, done cus the content was gated, it had to be have have good pacing and story, proof if ever needed that flying is a hindrance to the game and adds nothing.

I want it removed 100% from the game.

• suckm3suckm3 Member UncommonPosts: 187

Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by LadyPvP I liked the game more when there was no flying.
    Agreed

+1

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”? -Albert Einstein 

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    Originally posted by jtcgs

We had to ulock it how? by buying it? honestly your not reading what im typing at all.  the thing wich has been changed is that you need to do a specific long questline in order to unlock it now not just handing over some gold. wich means that you have to work abit to get it unlocked. workign for something is the opposite of instant-gratification.

its a very small step away from the hand holding but it is a step.

the issue here is flying who said anything about groundmounts?

I never said this makes the game less of a grind game. I'm saying that by this action blizzard took a small step away from holding evryone's hand.

My god learn to read please.

Oh I am so sorry, I had no idea they implemented an instant gold function to where you log in after an expac and suddenly you have enough to buy flying again...I forgot that is something you don't have to work towards getting anymore...

Yeah...forgot about that bit didn't you?

You are just looking for things to bitch about...and again all while avoiding trying to explain how this doesn't also apply to ground mounts...

oh you mean the gold stack wich you get from doing the quests on the new continent? And having exxes gold when u get to 100? Im sorry what was i working for again?

And about the ground mount thing please reread what ive posted before. it has nothing to do with instant gratification because nothing has changed for them. if you would need to unlock your groundmounts trough a questline asswell then that is another step towards less handholding and giving u some actual goals something to work towards.

oh you mean the gold stack wich you get from doing the quests on the new continent? And having exxes gold when u get to 100? Im sorry what was i working for again?

And about the ground mount thing please reread what ive posted before. it has nothing to do with instant gratification because nothing has changed for them. if you would need to unlock your groundmounts trough a questline asswell then that is another step towards less handholding and giving u some actual goals something to work towards.

Oh wait, so having to do quests to get gold makes gold easy but somehow having to do quests to get flying means no more instant gratification.

Hypocrisy...exposed.

This is nothing more than a bitchfest. WoW is a grind, period.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Oh wait, so having to do quests to get gold makes gold easy but somehow having to do quests to get flying means no more instant gratification.

Hypocrisy...exposed.

Now you are taking things out of perspective. you do those quests so you can level up to 100 in that timeperiod you get enough gold to buy the new flying. So your not doing quest to purchase flying your doing them to get to 100. thats a big diffrence.

Now when you get too 100 you can normally purchase your flyskill instead you now have to do more quests in order to unlock your flying. You have to actually do something now in order to unlock it.

apearantly your the only one here who fails to see what the entire blue post is saying.

What am i bitching about? i gave blizzard a compliment on taking a step in the right direction. your the one bitching about stuff.

Originally posted by expresso

Flying in the game removes all mystery;

Think back to vanillia WoW we have the greymane wall, the AQ gates, Diremaul, Zul'gurub, caverns of time and more, all content we could not access but the mystery was there.  

A great example are the discs you get as a drop in uldaman (http://www.wowwiki.com/Discs_of_Norgannon) dungeon, they task you with traveling to Tanaras to a set of locked gates, you cannot get passed the gates but the discs tell a story and thus the mystery of what is behind is there in full colour.  You cannot do that in todays WoW and that's a great shame.

What if Flying was not in the game with WOTLK, image the cool server wide event they could have staged to progress the opening of icecrown, those 4 or 5 walls before the main citiedal imaging an AQ style server event to take down eacj of those gates with a massive world boss to defeat once the wall is down.

Why do you think they disabled flying in patch 5.2 or what the thunderking patch was, done cus the content was gated, it had to be have have good pacing and story, proof if ever needed that flying is a hindrance to the game and adds nothing.

I want it removed 100% from the game.

Alot of people want flying removed. Blizzard even want flying removed. but i geus 50%ish of player are quite happy with flying. Because flying is nothing more then convienience while it takes alot more away from the game as you said.

I don't think blizzard will remove it entirely but it might depend on how patch 6.0-6.1 goes. who knows mabey people will like it and blizzard will act upon it.

Hypocrisy...exposed.

Now you are taking things out of perspective. you do those quests so you can level up to 100 in that timeperiod you get enough gold to buy the new flying. So your not doing quest to purchase flying your doing them to get to 100. thats a big diffrence.

Now when you get too 100 you can normally purchase your flyskill instead you now have to do more quests in order to unlock your flying. You have to actually do something now in order to unlock it.

apearantly your the only one here who fails to see what the entire blue post is saying.

What am i bitching about? i gave blizzard a compliment on taking a step in the right direction. your the one bitching about stuff.

Hypocrisy...exposed.

You place things into the context you must in order to lend weight to your argument which does not stand up to criticism. You must do quests for gold to get your flying and thus it isn't being handed to you...ground mounts however are, because you do not need to pay anything, do any quests or even go to a trainer to make it available. Its just there, because you trained it previously.

Hypocrisy...exposed.

BTW, apparently you don't get the point of my argument, hypocrisy. You only like it because it fits into your overall disliking of even having flying mounts in the game. Otherwise, you would be pushing for ground mounts to become locked as well as faction rep and everything else thus increasing the amount of grind in the game.

Hypocrisy...exposed.

Hypocrisy...exposed.

You place things into the context you must in order to lend weight to your argument which does not stand up to criticism. You must do quests for gold to get your flying and thus it isn't being handed to you...ground mounts however are, because you do not need to pay anything, do any quests or even go to a trainer to make it available. Its just there, because you trained it previously.

Hypocrisy...exposed.

BTW, apparently you don't get the point of my argument, hypocrisy. You only like it because it fits into your overall disliking of even having flying mounts in the game. Otherwise, you would be pushing for ground mounts to become locked as well as faction rep and everything else thus increasing the amount of grind in the game.

i dont need to pay anything for ground mounts? so i never had to spend a copper on em? neat did not know that.

i don't have to do quests to get gold. i could do BG's asswell, there more activities to get gold in WoW. Whatever you do to get to lvl 100 will get you enough gold to get the flying ability. and u need to be level 100 to get flying again. So leveling to 100 is more important then getting gold. because the gold gets handed to you on the side. So in that light u do not have to work ur ass of to get gold because you already have it. wow hard to understand aye?

Lock groundmounts i don´t care id glady work for em again as i have in vanilla. IT makes the game have some sort of meaning instead of just a gearthreadmil. But you apearantly do not understand why blizzard is locking flying in the first place.. have you read the blue post?

Yeah i am basicly vouching for more grind to the game. wanna know why? it takes a idiotic 2 weeks to level to cap and that is just wrong. 

But anyway we are discussing blizzards slight change of heart regarding flying. That they are looking away from the instant-gratification because getting a reward is more epic if you actually had to work for it.

Yeah i am basicly vouching for more grind to the game. wanna know why? it takes a idiotic 2 weeks to level to cap and that is just wrong. 

And yet adding quests to unlock flying does nothing to change that and also mutes every previous point you made...congrats. This is what hypocrisy gets you...and you did that all while defending ground mounts staying unlocked which will still make getting to the new cap a breeze...hypocrisy.

• KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829
    i'm going to respond to the title of this thread.  giving you a lvl 90 character isn't instant gratification? This type of spoonfeeding the player base is what made me quit this game.
  • expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

I don't think blizzard will remove it entirely but it might depend on how patch 6.0-6.1 goes. who knows mabey people will like it and blizzard will act upon it.

And make the thousands of flying mounts some people collected over the years, some of which are very hard to get rares, obsolete? If you believe that, you and me don't live in the same kind of reality.

All flying mounts can run across the ground, they ain't obsolete.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    it took me almost 2 years to save up enough gold to be able to fly.  im glad the developers see that certain things in the game should be a challenge.  I hope that the quest line or whatever it is they decide players must complete in order to fly in the expansion is a challenge.
  • UmbroodUmbrood Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Would it not be better to kind of keep it the old way?

In no expansion did you have flying from the get go, you got it at max lvl for that exp pack or one or two levels earlier.

Keep it that way and up the ante a bit, lvl 100 requirement, some fairly grotesque quest chain on top of that, and just remove it slowly.

Some nice reward as well for that chain to make it worth doing even after the requirement is lifted.

Better still, make it a community quest of some sort, were everyone can chip in.

Do not just artificially remove it and then tack it on, that is almost as immersion breaking as a dead world with "people being airborne at all times".

I am sure this can be done within the context of the game, and perhaps even add to the experience, rather then the opposite?

Even if this still ends up with flying being unavailable for the first couple of months, I do not think people would mind as much.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• TjedTjed Member Posts: 162
    I think it's awesome.  If they stick to their guns here then I'll really be looking forward to playing this expansion.  I skipped pandaria after not really liking cata.  I would love to do a new expansion with everyone grounded for a while. 
  • sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431

And make the thousands of flying mounts some people collected over the years, some of which are very hard to get rares, obsolete? If you believe that, you and me don't live in the same kind of reality.

Not obsolete but restricted for new content could be done really.

Since these things are pure "show offs" letting them fly over the cities is great.

But not using them for a quest: "Get on the top of that hill to open the Holly Grail chest" with 2 tribes encircling the mountain...

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

It's a rather dumb thing because people will complain that Blizzard are, 'taking something away', or, 'making it too difficult to gain something'...much like the idiotic idea of reverting back to rep grind and valor gear in MOP was.

You can't let people have something and then take it away and say that's better for them. The perception is just that a companies making it more difficult for the playerbase to progress, regardless of how it might make the game, 'better', overall..

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• falconhandfalconhand Member UncommonPosts: 50

I liked the mop system with flying. You hit end level, you get for decent amount of gold the right to fly.

Having a epic questline like the cloack is not fair for the fly option.

My girlfriend and I are casual players, at least in fight skills :)

But we like to make things with our crafters and like to gather the materials.

Making flying at the level 100 cap elitish is a game breaking situation.

We do not care for not having the epic cloack. But having not the flying option when gathering materials compared to players who have the flying option is a to big of difference.

Some are loving the garrison idea and gathering materials and crafting. But do not care about raiding etc.

With mop we at least did know that at level 90 we can get the flying option.

Maybe all the responders before me are not gathering or crafting, I do not know, but for those who are, do all know the feeling during the leveling 85 - 90 in mop you see on the map a node, fight your way to it, and when allmost there a player on flying mount gathers it just before you reach it.

When making flying elite, like some want, is a to big disadvantage.

Again we do not care we die a lot, we do not care our ilevel is to low to enter some of the instances, we do not care we are one shotted at pvp, but at least let us have our crafting and gathering materials by using like in mop at end level the flying mount.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Flying should never have happened, ever. Flying mounts are in my opinion a mistake in any ground based MMORPG.

But now it's part of the game, some people have spent months farming the most rare flying mounts, no way Blizzard is going to piss those people off. And personally, the way they implement this will decide when I buy the expansion, if I buy it at all.

Flying mounts are both a curse and a blessing.

They're a curse because the magic and wonder of the land disappears, and the chances of PvP occurring are practically nil so a lot of the excitement evaporates as well.

They are a blessing because they make you realise what a waste of time a lot of MMORPGs are: What you want are the 'elusive' rewards. Mounts make the rewards less elusive, so when you get them without the effort (and faster per-unit-time) it's easier to appreciate that MMORPGs are a massive waste of time when it starts becoming like a job.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    This makes me very glad that I quit wow with my 5 wow accounts way back I get tired of the constant nerfs that Blizzard makes and now changes like this they should leave it open to the customer how they want to play the game and give flying at the same level you get a regular mount its very stupid that I can't play wow and enjoy the game the way I want to.
  • palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651
    WOW world is to huge without flying. It is the best thing for me 
  • WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    Originally posted by Renoaku
    This makes me very glad that I quit wow with my 5 wow accounts way back I get tired of the constant nerfs that Blizzard makes and now changes like this they should leave it open to the customer how they want to play the game and give flying at the same level you get a regular mount its very stupid that I can't play wow and enjoy the game the way I want to.

WoW is themepark, not sandbox ... players always played the game how developers wanted them to :) nothing has changed

Originally posted by Omnifish

The perception is just that a companies making it more difficult for the playerbase to progress, regardless of how it might make the game, 'better', overall..

Exactly. To me, its sounds just like an excuse to slow down people and add another grind to the game.

What rubbish.

EXAMPLE:

There is a great chest lying on the top of the Hill.

Surrounding the Hill are 2 tribes with mobs and 2 wandering Elites.

No mount: You must overcome the challenge with the specs of your class: like Stealth (rogue), pull a small corridor (hunter, mage) or brute force (warrior, paladin) and stay out of the way of the Elites.

Mount: You mount, you fly to the top; open chest.

EVERY time Blizzard does something good and great to bring challenge you have[mod edit] moaning.... about anything really.

And ... 4 months later ....in patch 6.1 .... and when everyone has had their main or second character leveled through, yep you can fly...

[mod edit]

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

One of the two main reasons that I return to WOW is flying. I just love flying around. Yes, it may trivialize content and I would not be upset if they made flying in WOD un-available to max level. But, take away flying and it would be the next to the last nail in the coffin for WOW for me.

Originally posted by tordurbar

One of the two main reasons that I return to WOW is flying. I just love flying around. Yes, it may trivialize content and I would not be upset if they made flying in WOD un-available to max level. But, take away flying and it would be the next to the last nail in the coffin for WOW for me.

You are too stupid to understand it then. Look at my example above.

These dudes can't be taken serious really.

There is NO reasoning in hell that you can counter my example above, in NO way, except if you would look to your post as pure and utter trolling.