Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Diablo 3: Playing the Crusader at BlizzCon

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During Blizzcon this past weekend, Diablo 3 fans had the opportunity to check out the Reaper of Souls expansion and the new Crusader class. We've got a hands on report to share so hop through the jump to check it out and then head to the comments to add your thoughts.

Adventure Mode reminds me of Marvel Heroes’ Legacy Quests in that this mode gives you a reason to go back through older areas of the game and tackle new missions.  In Adventure Mode, you use the world map to teleport to any area of the campaign and tackle randomized missions. You’re rewarded with a hefty amount of experience and gold for your efforts, too, so it should be a great way of breathing new life into the game’s existing content. 

Read more of Mike Bitton's Diablo 3: Playing the Crusader at BlizzCon.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

I must admit, the Crusader looks pretty awesome.

Shield and flail? Oh, yeah!

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• TwigmansamTwigmansam Member Posts: 10
    Looking forward to jumping back into Diablo with this expansion. New class looks fun. Now to try & talk my friends into coming back to play it...
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Looking forward to this Crusader class as I wasn't really satisfied with the initial classes.

I don't see myself as a monk or a witch doctor, demon hunter was "ok" and I wanted to play a melee character but I never play barbarians in games.

Crusader is just what the doctor ordered.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Looking forward to this Crusader class as I wasn't really satisfied with the initial classes.

I don't see myself as a monk or a witch doctor, demon hunter was "ok" and I wanted to play a melee character but I never play barbarians in games.

Crusader is just what the doctor ordered.

I agree. I played paladin and druid mostly in D2. None of the classes really appealed to me during the initial release. The crusader looks fun and interesting. The other changes to the game are looking really good too, might have to actually reinstall.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

Have to agree with others here that I wasn't all that impressed with the classes in D3 and now it's looking mighty enticing.  Will finally buy D3 when they release the xpac.

• FaidianFaidian Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Too bad that they thought it would be a good idea to restrict the Crusaders abilities to almost 50% of their abilities requiring a shield.  What about those who wanted to have a 2 handed weapon style Crusader?  "Oh, well, we included a way to use 2 handed weapons as one handers and a shield."  That's not the same thing, at all.  The expansion seems pretty lack luster to me thus far and I will definitely be waiting until a while after release for more information.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Originally posted by Faidian
    Too bad that they thought it would be a good idea to restrict the Crusaders abilities to almost 50% of their abilities requiring a shield.  What about those who wanted to have a 2 handed weapon style Crusader?  "Oh, well, we included a way to use 2 handed weapons as one handers and a shield."  That's not the same thing, at all.  The expansion seems pretty lack luster to me thus far and I will definitely be waiting until a while after release for more information.

Lackluster? No offense intended, but are you living in the same dimension as the rest of us?

Loot 2.0, combined with all the new features, areas, and class included in the expansion, is not only completely obliterating every single PvE-centric complaint about the game to date (most of which were greatly exaggerated anyway), but it's also adding features on top of that such as adventure mode, bounties, clan functionality, an enchanter, runes, new crafting recipes, and a metric ton of other content.

Yet here you are, complaining that a defensively-oriented class can't use a two handed weapon in a very specific fashion. Nevermind the fact that Paladins in D2 were also primarily sword and board (the class which shares its soul with the crusader) and had a large chunk of their non-aura based abilities centered around shield use as well...

Blizzard just can't win, can they? They went with a new approach for D3 and got blasted for it. If they'd gone the 'D2 with better graphics' route, they'd have been blasted & criticized for not trying anything new. Now that they're combining what worked for D2 with what worked for D3, they're still getting criticized and nit-picked to death.

It's very obvious that people such as yourself are never going to be happy with the game, period. I think I speak for the majority of the D3 community (yes, the majority does, in fact, like the game) when I ask that you & others like you just please move on to something else. There are a ton of current and upcoming ARPGs to choose from, all with good and bad points. Go play one of those, and leave the people who enjoy D3 alone to be excited about where the game is going.

So sick and tired of the (mostly) undeserved negativity around this game...

Anyway, looking forward to crusader. The game definitely needed a sword (or flail!) and board character, and those types are also among my favorite type to play, especially when they use the shield as much for offense as they do for defense.

March can't get here fast enough, IMO.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• theniffrigtheniffrig Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Error 37 will be back!
  • xenoracexenorace Member UncommonPosts: 205
    I had to ultimately quite due to the stuttering problem some of us were having. The game was almost unplayable until after about an hour of playing. The game would turn into a slide show every time I moved into the next screen, loading everything as I went along. I wonder if this has been fixed. Called tech support and they told me there was nothing they can do at the time, this was a "known issue".

S.C.I.F.I
    <Sights, Clouded, In, False, Illusions>

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Still waiting for XB1 announcement...
  • sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Looking forward to this. Recently came back to D3 after a long long break and had forgotten how much simple fun it could be with plenty of "dang, have to get to work in 6 hours??" moments.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Still waiting for XB1 announcement...

Ya, I wonder if they made a deal with Sony this time around.

• tehnibitehnibi Member UncommonPosts: 7
    I'm going to pass on Reaper of Souls 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

Everything they added is "nice".  But nothing special really. 

They seem to have abandoned the D2 crowd that has to go to POE  to get anything close to what they want.  POE is nice and deep but I would prefer to get that experience in a game with cool lore and a nice engine like D3's. 

The itemization and crafting changes may be enough to get me back though.  Although the fact that it will take two years and a paid expansion to get it right is irksome.  Yes I know that we can get loot 2.0 without paying but it will be out barely before the expansion. 

It also depends on how the ladders are structured and how long they last.  If they don't have fresh paragons on new ladders then there's no point to the ladders.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    I'm a little disappointed honestly..  It appears we get one act, and one class for how much again?  Probably in the $30 or more category..  Not sure it will be worth an expansion price..  I'll probably pass on buying it unless I hear more that changes my mind..  I was truly hoping for 2 classes and a LONG Act or two.. 
  • onlinenow25onlinenow25 Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet
    Originally posted by Faidian

Lackluster? No offense intended, but are you living in the same dimension as the rest of us?

Loot 2.0, combined with all the new features, areas, and class included in the expansion, is not only completely obliterating every single PvE-centric complaint about the game to date (most of which were greatly exaggerated anyway), but it's also adding features on top of that such as adventure mode, bounties, clan functionality, an enchanter, runes, new crafting recipes, and a metric ton of other content.

Yet here you are, complaining that a defensively-oriented class can't use a two handed weapon in a very specific fashion. Nevermind the fact that Paladins in D2 were also primarily sword and board (the class which shares its soul with the crusader) and had a large chunk of their non-aura based abilities centered around shield use as well...

Blizzard just can't win, can they? They went with a new approach for D3 and got blasted for it. If they'd gone the 'D2 with better graphics' route, they'd have been blasted & criticized for not trying anything new. Now that they're combining what worked for D2 with what worked for D3, they're still getting criticized and nit-picked to death.

It's very obvious that people such as yourself are never going to be happy with the game, period. I think I speak for the majority of the D3 community (yes, the majority does, in fact, like the game) when I ask that you & others like you just please move on to something else. There are a ton of current and upcoming ARPGs to choose from, all with good and bad points. Go play one of those, and leave the people who enjoy D3 alone to be excited about where the game is going.

So sick and tired of the (mostly) undeserved negativity around this game...

Anyway, looking forward to crusader. The game definitely needed a sword (or flail!) and board character, and those types are also among my favorite type to play, especially when they use the shield as much for offense as they do for defense.

March can't get here fast enough, IMO.

I hope you know that a large portion of the content they have advertised is rehashed or was left out in D3.

The mystic was suppose to be in D3.

'Adventure Mode' as they call it was in D2.

Rifts have already been done in other ARPGs, and unless they are as random and varied as crafting maps in Path of Exile will add very little to the game.

We know nothing about loot 2.0.  They have given no examples of it.  Useless affixes are still going to exist.  Thorns will not be buffed to be viable to be worth anything, gold radius, health globe radius, are another few useless item affixes.

Did you watch the video of the crusader as I did?  Did you not see a rehashed Paladin?  Hell half his abilities looked like Blessed Hamer, with one actually looking exactly like Blessed Hammer.

So what is there to be excited about from this expansion?

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

2 years for a company like Blizzard to fix a game gese.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440

I want my... I want my... I want my Necro now...

Ratero.

• ZephlosZephlos Member UncommonPosts: 35
    I have D3, but I think I will stick with Path of Exile all'n'all its a better game.
  • expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Now people are complaning they are adding features from D2 into D3... ah the internet how we love you so.
  • piquetpiquet Member UncommonPosts: 189

Never thought I would say this, but I can't wait to get back to Diablo 3 when the AH is removed and loot 2.0 is in place. The crusader looks like an awesome addition to the game. I only truly enjoyed playing the barbarian, but the crusader looks fun too.

After Blizzard nerfed gold farming, I struggled to get enough gold to get some half decent starter gear on AH. I eventually quit Diablo 3 because no matter how much I played, I still only got crap loot even with a relatively high paragon level and playing on Inferno 8. I don't think I ever found ANYTHING I could use at all, and never found anything I could sell for a lot of gold, I think my record is 5 million gold for an amulet.

To me, the endgame in Diablo 3 feels like running into a wall over and over, hoping some day to get to the other side, but knowing deep down that it will never happen.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361

expansion price not announced yet? >.>