Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World or Game?

Comments

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    Originally posted by Shaigh
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa
    How will the game feel, like an online world, or like an online game?

Given that the world is made up of layers of instances hiding other players from sight, and that it is phased and quest based... a game.

Not really... Those layers and instances will add to the character and story immersion.... To be honest 500 people running trough the same dungeon and standing inline to kill mobs kills my worldimmersion..  

The difference between a virtuall world feeling and an online game feeling comes from a beleivable world, where players can truely interact with the world, where as in most online games game mechanics distract from the world instead of immersing people intoo the world ( like people watching the interface instead of the action in the world) 

i think eso will be more of a virtual world, then a game where mechanics distract from the world

For me its a world is when its large, there are no artificial boundaries from loading zones, and it doesn't feel like you are travelling down a road throughout the game and apart from instanced dungeons I think ESO might qualify as a world to me.

Sorry but the game has artificial boundaries and it has loading as well. See those mountains over yonder, well they really look inviting but the problem is unlike Vanguard i can't climb or cross those mountains.

For the love of god will you please stop comparing the game to Vanguard? That game might have had a border less and loading screen less world, but it was a technical mess for years post one of the worst launches in history and if you think we've forgotten that your being naive. ESO is focusing on exploration and though it won't be as open as vanguard, it certainly appears to be open enough without suffering the same technical messes vanguard encountered. Vanguard, what a great game it could have been, but at least it didn't have loading screens.....yawn. The loading screens in ESO seem minimal as far as loading times and it was a minor annoyance in Skyrim, once of the best RPGs ever. Boundaries seem within each zone similar to any other Elder Scrolls game except this has leveled areas.

There Is Always Hope!

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by keithian

Given that the world is made up of layers of instances hiding other players from sight, and that it is phased and quest based... a game.

Not really... Those layers and instances will add to the character and story immersion.... To be honest 500 people running trough the same dungeon and standing inline to kill mobs kills my worldimmersion..  

The difference between a virtuall world feeling and an online game feeling comes from a beleivable world, where players can truely interact with the world, where as in most online games game mechanics distract from the world instead of immersing people intoo the world ( like people watching the interface instead of the action in the world) 

i think eso will be more of a virtual world, then a game where mechanics distract from the world

For me its a world is when its large, there are no artificial boundaries from loading zones, and it doesn't feel like you are travelling down a road throughout the game and apart from instanced dungeons I think ESO might qualify as a world to me.

Sorry but the game has artificial boundaries and it has loading as well. See those mountains over yonder, well they really look inviting but the problem is unlike Vanguard i can't climb or cross those mountains.

For the love of god will you please stop comparing the game to Vanguard? That game might have had a border less and loading screen less world, but it was a technical mess for years post one of the worst launches in history and if you think we've forgotten that your being naive. ESO is focusing on exploration and though it won't be as open as vanguard, it certainly appears to be open enough without suffering the same technical messes vanguard encountered. Vanguard, what a great game it could have been, but at least it didn't have loading screens.....yawn. The loading screens in ESO seem minimal as far as loading times and it was a minor annoyance in Skyrim, once of the best RPGs ever. Boundaries seem within each zone similar to any other Elder Scrolls game except this has leveled areas.

Lotro has many loading screens, yet its one of the mmos that feels most like a world to me, and even tough the whole thing is very linear, that does not matter, there are no gameplay mechanics that distract me from following lore and stories.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Lotro has many loading screens, yet its one of the mmos that feels most like a world to me, and even tough the whole thing is very linear, that does not matter, there are no gameplay mechanics that distract me from following lore and stories.

I totally agree with this as LOTRO was one of my favorite games despite the loading screens. Hopefully ESO will take that immersion to the next level so that NPCS aren't standing around all the time doing nothing. We already know that many quests will be found by exploring and are not just hub based with exclamation marks over static NPCs.

There Is Always Hope!

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    I HOPE...a world.
  • BenjolaBenjola Member UncommonPosts: 843

I like a game to play it not live in it thank you very much.

I can't invest unhealthy amount of time in gaming even if i wanted to and even those that have the free time shouldn't, nomsayin'

Either way, I'll play this game no mater what.

I've been a long time Elder Scrolls fan, especially the simplistic (read: realistic) combat speaks to me.

I care about your gaming 'problems' and teenage anxieties, just not today.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Online Game.

Didn't you get the memo? they don't make online worlds anymore.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• BenjolaBenjola Member UncommonPosts: 843

They don't make 'worlds' anymore because majority of gamers don't demand it anymore.

The days of couples getting divorced because hubby plays too much Everquest are long gone.

Try playing your MMOs for an hour a day only and see if you mind instances, fast travel or auction houses.

You will actually demand them.

And that's the majority of MMO-ers these days and gaming companies are just supplying that demand.

I care about your gaming 'problems' and teenage anxieties, just not today.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

WTH are you babbling about lol, the person i was quoting was talking about artificial boundaries of which TESO has and the games has loading screens. Have you actually played the game lol, seriously because it seems to me you haven't. We are not talking about Vanguard technical messes.

How about we compared it to DF which also has an open world and no problems, fact is WOW is more open than TESO. Now being in beta and having played the game on numerous occasions it's not really a problem but don't try to gloss over the fact that the game is not an open world mmo.

Nope it's not similar to any other TES game, for one the game is made up of instances which they call channels and the game has loading between each area. You go on about lotro but even that is more open than TESO, fact.

You sure you have played the game because going by the nonsense you are spouting it seems not.

Oh, and i've played every single TES game out there, TESO is not the same open world style.

For the love of god at least know what you are talking about before quoting someone lol.

WTH are you babbling about lol, the person i was quoting was talking about artificial boundaries of which TESO has and the games has loading screens. Have you actually played the game lol, seriously because it seems to me you haven't. We are not talking about Vanguard technical messes.

How about we compared it to DF which also has an open world and no problems, fact is WOW is more open than TESO. Now being in beta and having played the game on numerous occasions it's not really a problem but don't try to gloss over the fact that the game is not an open world mmo.

Nope it's not similar to any other TES game, for one the game is made up of instances which they call channels and the game has loading between each area. You go on about lotro but even that is more open than TESO, fact.

You sure you have played the game because going by the nonsense you are spouting it seems not.

Oh, and i've played every single TES game out there, TESO is not the same open world style.

For the love of god at least know what you are talking about before quoting someone lol.

Who said ESO was a pure open world with no loading screens? The question is, is it open enough to satisfy most. If a loading screen isn't dividing cities and feeling super confined like some of Age of Conan's zones or Final Fantasy and the loading itself is super fast, then I don't think most people will care.

My point to you is that there are huge technical and gaming sacrifices an MMO must make when making a game pure open world with no loading screens and no boundaries and any experienced MMOer understands what those would be for a story based themepark which Darkfall is not and I'm glad ESO is not going in that direction. Open world didn't seem to save Vanguard or Darkfall both of which ended up to be niche games. Id rather have a 1 sec loading screen when entering a house (similar to ESO) or a 1 sec loading screen for a HUGE zone than a borderless technical mess like Vanguard was. I believe ESO will feel more open than AOC and Final Fantasy due to the size of the zones and that will be fine to me and most I suspect. Having channels makes sense and if implemented correctly will be a much better choice than not having them.

Cyrodiil is huge and if you can run from one side to another without loading screens (except for dungeons, houses, etc), than that is more than large enough and it will still feel like a world..at least to me.

There Is Always Hope!

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Ill wait 6-8 months after launch to play this game when it goes f2p. Only if I hear good reviews about the story and lore, otherwise I will pass on it all together. because another themepark MMO has 0 appeal to me. But I happen to like elder scrolls lore, see I will see what the players say.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

this issue of virtual worlds has really been my biggest disappointment as the years of mmo gaming have gone by.

i really and truly thought that we would be so much further along in the technology and creative angle when it comes to mmo's.

i really thought we would have fantastical open virtual worlds lying all around us.

sadly, that is not the case.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Who said ESO was a pure open world with no loading screens? The question is, is it open enough to satisfy most. If a loading screen isn't dividing cities and feeling super confined like some of Age of Conan's zones or Final Fantasy and the loading itself is super fast, then I don't think most people will care.

My point to you is that there are huge technical and gaming sacrifices an MMO must make when making a game pure open world with no loading screens and no boundaries and any experienced MMOer understands what those would be for a story based themepark which Darkfall is not and I'm glad ESO is not going in that direction. Open world didn't seem to save Vanguard or Darkfall both of which ended up to be niche games. Id rather have a 1 sec loading screen when entering a house (similar to ESO) or a 1 sec loading screen for a HUGE zone than a borderless technical mess like Vanguard was. I believe ESO will feel more open than AOC and Final Fantasy due to the size of the zones and that will be fine to me and most I suspect. Having channels makes sense and if implemented correctly will be a much better choice than not having them.

Cyrodiil is huge and if you can run from one side to another without loading screens (except for dungeons, houses, etc), than that is more than large enough and it will still feel like a world..at least to me.

The game is more akin to EQ2 because that's how the game feels when it comes to Zones and loading into most buildings or the building you can actually get into.

If you look at this map you can see the brown non playable areas and the brown barriers between each zone within each faction area. The Zones are not massive or not quite quite as small as EQ2 zones but the game is properly zoned off. The game has natural barriers blocking your way.

http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/map/tamriel take away the brown non playable areas and the map really isn't that big.

The game is more closed of than WOW, LOTRO and more akin to EQ2, i personally think many will have a problem with how zoned off the game actually is but we shall see. One thing is that you do feel like you are playing a TES game and the voices and sounds of the world are spot on.

The animation are still as bad as ever imo, believe it or not that's my main gripe with the game. I can take the zones and loading and barriers but the animation are poor for sure.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    [mod edit]

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

I wish it felt like a world, Morrowind style but I fear is going to be a game.

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

The game is more akin to EQ2 because that's how the game feels when it comes to Zones and loading into most buildings or the building you can actually get into.

If you look at this map you can see the brown non playable areas and the brown barriers between each zone within each faction area. The Zones are not massive or not quite quite as small as EQ2 zones but the game is properly zoned off. The game has natural barriers blocking your way.

http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/map/tamriel take away the brown non playable areas and the map really isn't that big.

The game is more closed of than WOW, LOTRO and more akin to EQ2, i personally think many will have a problem with how zoned off the game actually is but we shall see. One thing is that you do feel like you are playing a TES game and the voices and sounds of the world are spot on.

The animation are still as bad as ever imo, believe it or not that's my main gripe with the game. I can take the zones and loading and barriers but the animation are poor for sure.

Well, the map there in the link says clearly "Come back soon to explore more regions of tamriel!"

So, this is only a part of the world you can play in. There will be more regions opened soon.

Why would you think, that they will only open those small regions for the game? Maybe because you dont have a clue (like many of us), but only pretend to do so?

Hodor!

Originally posted by gwei1984

Well, the map there in the link says clearly "Come back soon to explore more regions of tamriel!"

So, this is only a part of the world you can play in. There will be more regions opened soon.

Why would you think, that they will only open those small regions for the game? Maybe because you dont have a clue (like many of us), but only pretend to do so?

I didn't say they are not going to open more regions of Tamriel in the future, that's been said and it's not rocket science to figure that out. Perhaps you have me mixed up with someone who said they were not going to open more regions.

This is all you have until an expansion or a large content update which could be a year or even longer from release.

I know this because i have played the game but that wasn't actually what i was talking about in the first place. Perhaps you need to reread what i'm talking about which is the game being zoned off like EQ2 and made up of instanced channels.

Anyone who has been following the game knows this is the release map, why would you think otherwise?

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    If they got the scale of all the zones from the games right, it should be one massive game world.

Well EQ2 is like my minimum standard of what I can tolerate exploration wise because though it felt less confined than AOC or Final Fantasy, it didnt feel as open as LOTRO or WOW which I agree with. I guess only time will tell how I feel about the size of the zones. If the are EQ2 like but feel alive, than maybe it won't bother me as much. I doubt you have seen and played through most of the zones because I doubt they have released most of it to testers with their focus probably on earlier level stuff, but maybe you have, who knows. Certainly Cyrodiil for PVP which to me felt very very large when playing Oblivion will suffice as that is larger than any EQ2 zone by far.

There Is Always Hope!

• andrelleandrelle Member Posts: 58

Nor mine, good thing that's not how public dungeons work. I'm kind of sick of people pretending that it is. Why don't you actually play a game that has public dungeons before you come up with garbage like that?

And nothing kills immersion faster than a linear pre scripted sequence that magically makes all the other players vanish.

A world is immersive, a themepark ride is not.

Agreed. This screams of SWOTR, which is basically a multi-player version of KOTOR.  Almost completely instanced, no one around.   So ridiculous. Even Blizzard implemented cross-realm play in lower pop areas, so the world would feel more alive with players around. Isn't that what many people want in an MMO? To experience a game with other players? If not, may I suggest the entire Elder Scrolls line of single player games.  Plenty of content there to enjoy solo

• vladwwvladww Member UncommonPosts: 417
    Originally posted by andrelle

Nor mine, good thing that's not how public dungeons work. I'm kind of sick of people pretending that it is. Why don't you actually play a game that has public dungeons before you come up with garbage like that?

And nothing kills immersion faster than a linear pre scripted sequence that magically makes all the other players vanish.

A world is immersive, a themepark ride is not.

Agreed. This screams of SWOTR, which is basically a multi-player version of KOTOR.  Almost completely instanced, no one around.   So ridiculous. Even Blizzard implemented cross-realm play in lower pop areas, so the world would feel more alive with players around. Isn't that what many people want in an MMO? To experience a game with other players? If not, may I suggest the entire Elder Scrolls line of single player games.  Plenty of content there to enjoy solo

Instanced Themeparks = the Plague of modern mmorpg's

Playing : Uncharted Waters Online

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Due to certain rules, I know some people cannot talk about the game.    [mod edit]
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Game.. I bet
  • Badgered86Badgered86 Member UncommonPosts: 175

Game.  Definitely game.

• CatAtomic99CatAtomic99 Member UncommonPosts: 62
    Originally posted by Benjola

They don't make 'worlds' anymore because majority of gamers don't demand it anymore.

The days of couples getting divorced because hubby plays too much Everquest are long gone.

Try playing your MMOs for an hour a day only and see if you mind instances, fast travel or auction houses.

You will actually demand them.

And that's the majority of MMO-ers these days and gaming companies are just supplying that demand.

I'm sure that's an element, but I really think they don't make "worlds" anymore because MMORPGs are expensive to produce, and no one wants to take any risks. They all just seem to think cloning WoW's themepark approach is the safe bet, even though we've seen repeatedly that that is not the case.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Originally posted by artemisentr4

Every "game" is a game and feels like a game while sitting in front of the computer and playing it. Doesn't matter how the game is presented, you will never get "real life" from a game.

Now there will be a day night cycle and weather changes, so that is a plus. There will be weather that changes. After the starting areas, I believe the area to run around in should be big enough for exploration, that is a plus. But there will be static quests and nothing really changing all that much in the PvE world. PvP should be more dynamic with the taking/holding keeps, trying to become emperor, protecting supply lines and so forth.

But when it comes right down to playing a game, it will always be a game. Therepark vs Sandbox makes no difference IMO. You are still staring at a screen with a mouse and keyboard playing a game.

If you feel every game you play is just a "game" and are unable to suspend disbelief and immerse yourself in the experience, then I don't understand why you even play them.

So unlike you when I like a game enough it feels like a "real life" experience.  I experience joy, anger, tears, exhilaration, I am scared out of my chair sometimes, my heart can race and my palms sweat.  That's why I play computer games because they can and do effect me that way.  I'm sorry your missing that experience.