Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I need a MMORPG to play, and I can't find one.

2»

Comments

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Originally posted by Nitth

Fallen earth is indeed an mmorpg.

Pointing your gun at an enemy just highlights them. its the granddaddy of what companies are trying to push now, (mouse over instead of tab target).

That's a pretty tall claim, as games with this sort of mechanic have been out long before 2009.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

This is a particularly bad time for MMORPGs, just play something else for a while. A whole bunch of stuff is coming that looks decent if they can pull off the basic gameplay which a lot of titles tend to fail at. Right now I'm playing TSW and your snippet on it pretty much sums the game up. I'll play all the way through and go try something else.

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've played C9. Generic Korean grinder. I need a game with good story and atmosphere.

Dragon Nest, I need an art style that feels cool. That is not Dragons Nest.

As for burning myself out / taking a few weeks off, it's been more than a few weeks. It's been a long time since I've actually played any game / MMORPG. I've had plenty of time for my batteries to re-charge, the sad fact is though, that the only MMO's we've had in the last year are Korean grinders, or WoW clones. When I ask people "Is there any MMORPG out there that requires party play to advance the game / player interaction" People only list Lineage 2, FFXI, and DAOC. MMORPGS well over 10 years old. My only option is a game I've played to death, FFXI, Lineage 2 which I liked somewhat, but the grind became pretty boring (4 hours for 10% of a level around level 50, max level is like 80)

So basically, I am looking for a MMORPG where you can't just play solo to max level / experience the story.

GW2 is a very sore spot for me, because of several factors. I loved GW1 with a passion. The world, the story, the gameplay. I even worked on filling my HoM until I had everything unlocked. Then disaster hit, the only case of my account ever being stolen in all my years of online gaming(since 1998), was my GW account...days after I filled my HoM. Contacting NCSoft was futile, they would not help, even providing all the CD keys, credit information, and actual transaction IDS for stuff from their online store, they said they could still not verify it was my account - and to "resolve the issue" merely shutdown the account perma. Including all other games on my NCSoft account, account's.

So I lost all those as well. Still, I had bought GW2, so, broken as I logged in and saw someone in their Heritage armor, which I worked hard to get, I played on. I found myself enjoying it somewhat, but something felt wrong. These large group events...they lacked charm...it was a random mob, no one was talking...just killing or doing mundane tasks...the novelty of this was good for awhile. There was no need to party up. There was no need to ever interact with players really - and the world was boring, the soundtrack was limited(Less music than GW1 with no expansions), the story seemed so generic, a shame after GW1 made me have faith a MMORPG could do a good story with voice acting, and damn, GW1 had so much better voice acting, I -cringed- at GW2's and just wondered "What happened to Guild Wars? This is basically WoW & Warhammer" Oh, the lack of any real penalty for dying sealed the deal as well. Not to mention "Downed state" in a MMORPG...ugh.

What sealed the deal on GW2 for me was when I reached around level 64, the story glitched every mission and I had to re-do them frequently, and I fought this large World Boss, a giant Crystal Dragon, and thinking "Oh man, this will be epic!"

As about 100 people stood there and just attacked him...over and over...and maybe 2-3 people hit downed state, but we revived them...this large boss...this horror that was supposed to be such a challenge...was shit. Then there is the fact that Gear almost makes no difference! I decided I wanted to try another weapon than Greatsword out, I Switched to a LV1 Sword and my DPS / Damage went down almost unoticably...I could still kill enemies my level just as easily.

I had alot of hope in GW2, and it seriously burned me when they took the infinite potential they had with GW1 and decided it's time to "WoW it up" and well, hell, it worked for them, based off sales...still. Then FFXIV ARR did the same thing, WoW & Warhammer bastard child...and lo and behold, extremely successful.

I think MMORPGS aren't designed for the social gamer anymore, that's my problem, maybe MMORPGS just aren't for me anymore. Everyone wants to be a solo warrior of badassery with the best gear and stand around town all night, showing it off, hitting max level and quitting to another MMORPG. MMORPGS are fast food today. I can go back to most MMORPG's of the early 2000's and 6 months later I wouldn't have completed half the content in them, even if I played a ton. That's why those MMORPGS still exist - longevity. Most MMORPGs you can complete all the story / content within a few weeks. People rush to do this before their free month runs out, instead of enjoying the game.

I don't know, my list may come off as kind of an asshole thing, I get that, people have said that, but I truly enjoyed what the genre was, but what it is becoming...is not what I played MMORPGs for.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• HothloveHothlove Member UncommonPosts: 126
    You've turned down all the suggestions and I can understand your reasons. 'good but too old to catch up or korean grinder or good but plays like a single player'. You better wait to EQnext, Camelot unchained or Eso come out since there aint no good one around. Maybe lotro online it aint that bad with population just remember all the games that are bit older are top heavy  so you have to suck it for the first 3 weeks.
  • epicarox90epicarox90 Member Posts: 2

I have been looking for a new MMO for a long time. I was so hopeful for FF XIV and may still spend the $80 to get me through until the next great one comes out. Is anyone out there utterly disappointed with FF XIV ? If so why? Is there another game that is along the lines of MMORPG you honestly recommend? I appreciate all responses.

I can wait if there is any hype regarding something new and wonderful coming out, I do not object to beta and glad will listen to any suggestions here. I have also found I do prefer pay to play games as in my experience, which I admit is limited, the gamers tend to be more devoted to the research and proper development of the character. Don't rage please, I did say my experience was limited.

For my part in adding a review; I did make the Aeria games mistake, You spend lots of money, they take it, then respond to RT's with "not our responsibility" even in the case of game glitches. I do not recommend this company.

• AtlysAtlys Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by epicarox90

I have been looking for a new MMO for a long time. I was so hopeful for FF XIV and may still spend the $80 to get me through until the next great one comes out. Is anyone out there utterly disappointed with FF XIV ? If so why? Is there another game that is along the lines of MMORPG you honestly recommend? I appreciate all responses.

I can tell you that I got invited to the FFXIV beta, and absolutely loved every second of it (until I got locked out due to 3102) I picked up the game two days before early access started, and was so excited to get back into the world. I played for 3 days after and then quit. I realized how much of an absolute grind the game is. There are so many class/crafting options, and not enough ways to get them leveled. After you level your primary class you have to get your secondary class up to half that level in order to unlock your "specialized class". Except you have already used up your quests leveling your primary, so its grinding mobs or doing dailies for your second class.

And if you do what I did and decide the class you previously wanted to shoot for isn't for you anymore, than it's even more grind. There is a good number of people who are sticking with the game, and I can say that the people who do enjoy it REALLY enjoy it. I feel like the game just lost it's magic too quickly. Maybe check out some reviews on it.

As for MMO suggestions, I feel like I must have tried them all, and I am still at a loss of what to play. Just today alone I've REtried Ragnarok 2 and Neverwinter, and can't get into them. I actually came to the site to find more suggestions. So if you find anything, let me know. :P

On the eternal quest for that one perfect MMO.

• bestadamirebestadamire Member Posts: 13
    You picked every MMORPG on the market and nitpicked little things out of each of them that for you, ruin the game. I am the same way but i have came to realize you must ignore the tiny wrongs of certain games and focus on the rights to have a good time.
  • strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    This guy could make his own mmo, still find problems and then quit.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• HappyFunBallHappyFunBall Member UncommonPosts: 221

My played list might be longer than yours.  Tried and played almost everything since Meridian-59.

For me, the good old days of difficult, group-based games, where you can actually EXPLORE a world that changes, are long gone.

All that's left now are easy-mode cake-walks, or I should say God-mode single player MMO themeparks.  No exploration, mindless dungeon grinding, no open-worlds, boring crafting, etc.

I have dozens and dozens of ideas for a new, innovative MMO, but no producer is gonna care.  They only care about mass-appeal and money.  They don't care about making real MMOs.  I couldn't be more sick of anime-looking characters if I wanted to be, and even the same goes for WoW looking cartoony characters.  I can't believe EQ next chose that WoW look.  Bleah!

In most MMO's today, I rarely ever die.  What's the point if there is no danger?  If I do die, it's because I'd walk away from the keyboard, out of boredom, and could care less if I die.  It's not like there's a death penalty anymore.

If I wanted to be spoon fed, I'd smack a brick across my head and spend some time in rehab.

I can't find one single game that interests me.  They're all the same mindless garbage geared at 12 year olds.

• SmellyNannerSmellyNanner Member Posts: 152

Hello OP!

I too, as well as most gamers like you and I, are more-less shit out of luck..

My played list is EXACTLY like yours.

The OldSchool Runescape is the only MMORPG right now that can keep me some what occupied, but the grinding kills me.

So, like most, I'm waiting for EQ:N, The Elder Scrolls Online, and WildStar. I'm really thinking either or both EQ:N and/or WildStar will fill the empty hole in my MMORPG heart. I'm not a huge Elder Scrolls fan, although the game looks fun.

So.. My best advice to you, although I respectively know and recognize you are looking for a MMORPG, is to take a break from the genre and try something else. That's what I'm doing. 

I'm currently playing Smite (a MOBA that's very different from the others) and War Thunder. They keep me very entertained. 

My suggestion to you, if you haven't already, is give Smite a try. It's tons of fun, just pure fun. I love it. First MOBA i've ever thoroughly enjoyed.

http://www.hirezstudios.com/smitegame/ - If you'd like to check it out.

If you DO find a great MMORPG, please tell me, lol.

• AralvarAralvar Member Posts: 34
    You could try Fantasy Realm Online. I didn't like it because you lose all your items with a couple exceptions on death after level 30 (I like a death penalty just not to that extent, I like to keep certain items on death). Since you like "hardcore" death penalties, you could try it out.