Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Heartstone "Giveaways" and member loyalty

Hello everyone, I'm like many others have been trying ot get a Heartsone beta key. Nothing too special here.

I've an account from past years and I've been dwelling those forums quite silent for most of the time. I didn't care much about this game, until a friend told me he is playing it. So I figured why the hell won't I sign up for the give away , Maybe I'll get lucky (Song refrennce here).

so I signed up for the giveaway and took a part in 3 lotteries/giveaways . then I came to notice that most of the applicant to the beta are acutally accounts made soley to get the key and forever consumed empty bits on the hosting server. I mean that the accounts were made in the dates 10/29/13 to 11/7/13 . you can also safely assume that the people who have created them have created more then one acocunt , and they're propobley are goning to sell thier key.

And just before the "FINAL DAY" of the giveaway, I ran into a post notifing the Administarators/ Forums Editors that this phenomenon is occouring. and HAZZA! They acutally read it and at the last giveaway They've added this part to the giveaway post. :"Also, keep in mind that creating duplicate accounts to submit more than once WILL disqualify you. Please do not do this."

Therefore I figured yay, no more thousands of day 1 made account's with no posts at all that are going to win all they key's! HAHA I might stand a chance!

However it appear's that this messege was there only for show, and no one is actually going to do any kind of backround check. Yeah I know that checking crossover IP on accounts is shitload of work, and people can always use proxies and other tools. However it is safe to assume that account's made IN THOSE DATES THAT THE LOTTERY TOOK PLACE ARE DUPLICATE ACCOUNTS.

so I've been checking, not much. I checked like 2 names from the latest "Winner list" and guess what ? Accounts made in "11/02/13" also won. And I even sent a PM to the one posting the giveaways to try to make sure he is aware of those people with sleven accounts made during the giveaway just to get a key.

But there's member loyalty for you. I must mention that since I acutally PM'ed "MikeB" I did not expect to win a key , but simply to see some justice in the forums.

Comments

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

For this site, the Hearthstone giveaway was never about rewarding members, it was simply a means to generate traffic for ad revenue, and perhaps pull in 1-2% of the people who registered just to try to win a key who will come back.

Would have been nice to have 5 days of keys given away to anyone (day 1 accounts who clearly only joined for the HS key included) and then 5 days  after that where only members who have been registered at least say, a month or something, would be eligible to win.  

But again, this was never to reward members.  

• holiestholiest Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by RollieJoe

For this site, the Hearthstone giveaway was never about rewarding members, it was simply a means to generate traffic for ad revenue, and perhaps pull in 1-2% of the people who registered just to try to win a key who will come back.

Would have been nice to have 5 days of keys given away to anyone (day 1 accounts who clearly only joined for the HS key included) and then 5 days  after that where only members who have been registered at least say, a month or something, would be eligible to win.  

If so it makes me kind of sad.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

I'm sorry, but 13 posts in 5 years means....what?

And I'll reiterate, its a beta key for a free game launching in a few weeks. Too many panties in too many wads around here lately.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

you should know that this isnt community site, even if number of people that are active is pretty small and traffic they generate is small too, there wasnt single giveaway that was catered towards members , and I been here for almost 10 years.

There is pretty much one and only one reason people come to this website and that is easy access to forum, no-one comes here for news, they are far apart and very few, website template is based on forums , noone like those old , what did they call them? podcast? no something else, I mean those were just horrible, columnist  replaced them, or is basically same, and noone read those anyway.

I know this website likes to imagine that they are big and mighty, but thats nonsense, there is only one draw to this website, and they should build community around it but they wont and probably never will

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by holiest
    Originally posted by RollieJoe

If so it makes me kind of sad.

Just because someone is a new poster because an extremely desired thing is being offered by this site, does not automatically disqualify them as being a duplicate account.

The poster is correct, the main intent of give away type contests is to increase site awareness.

To get more people to visit MMORPG.com and to post on it.

It worked.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Smikis

you should know that this isnt community site, even if number of people that are active is pretty small and traffic they generate is small too, there wasnt single giveaway that was catered towards members , and I been here for almost 10 years.

There is pretty much one and only one reason people come to this website and that is easy access to forum, no-one comes here for news, they are far apart and very few, website template is based on forums , noone like those old , what did they call them? podcast? no something else, I mean those were just horrible, columnist  replaced them, or is basically same, and noone read those anyway.

I know this website likes to imagine that they are big and mighty, but thats nonsense, there is only one draw to this website, and they should build community around it but they wont and probably never will

Actually I disagree with the highlighted portion.

Many of the giveaways here give you bonus tickets the more you log in, which does reward members for their activity / loyalty.

• MoLoK_MoLoK_ Member UncommonPosts: 307

Yeah this sites hearthstone giveaway was just a sad show.

After day 1 of the giveaway i suggested that they should reserve half the keys or something to those who had registred before the giveaway started.

But no. 95%+ of the keys should go to the 1-posters who registred duplicate accounts just for the purpose of getting a key. Thats what mmorpg.com wanted.

I dont really care anymore since I got my key from another giveaway.

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 874
    Ya I was watching the beta requests and offer thread http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/6061764/Hearthstone-Beta-Request-Offers-Thread-Read-before-Posting.html#6061764 they setup if you have a key and want to give it away. One guy said he had won a key so I messaged him and he wanted 30 dollars for it pretty lame.
    Originally posted by Laughing-man
    Originally posted by Smikis

Actually I disagree with the highlighted portion.

Many of the giveaways here give you bonus tickets the more you log in, which does reward members for their activity / loyalty.

and I never once won from that,  and that benefits everyone, you dont have to login daily either,  most of us keep lots of tabs open, leave mmorpg tab open and you are done, next day you start your computer, power up firefox/any other browser, mmorpg will automatically load and log you in without you doing anything , well now you actually need to click on the tab for website to load ( atleast in firefox ) , you didnt had to do that before

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Funny that the word loyalty keeps coming up in a thread with people complaining about how crappy the site is.
  • holiestholiest Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Funny that the word loyalty keeps coming up in a thread with people complaining about how crappy the site is.

Well, Sure when we complain how crappy the site is. but how about the 1 post members that acutally got a key and you'll never see them ever again.

is this loyal? btw I love the site it's the only site I use for my mmo needs and that's the site's porpuse.

• ToutaiToutai Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by holiest

Well, Sure when we complain how crappy the site is. but how about the 1 post members that acutally got a key and you'll never see them ever again.

is this loyal? btw I love the site it's the only site I use for my mmo needs and that's the site's porpuse.

That's true and I can agree I mainly did this account to get a heartstone key but I can when I have to prove I have only 1 account. So yeah probably most of the new people made more accounts to get a heartstone key faster and when I had the bad timing.

Btw I stopped playing WoW 2011 (that's when my ex. girlfriend broke up with me the day after) and when I still played WoW I can't really call it playing WoW when it was 3-6 days a month because I got bored of it (liked Warcraft 2 very much and Warcraft 3 I liked it 50-50 didn't like WoW mainly because it cost too much but heartstone should be free)

If ur lucky in games then if I'm in that team ur luck will reverse, but if ur in a tight spot I'll most likely save u

because the harder to hit the better success I have and the easier the more I'll fail

isnt that loyalty definition ? no matter how crappy site is we stay here, or maybe we are just stupid..

• FrogsReliantFrogsReliant Member Posts: 4
    I've been lurking on this site for years. Decided to make an account for the key give away. Moral of the story, people will always be unhappy with something.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

the contest was never about loyalty

the contest was about *advertising* for mmorpg.com and blizzard

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Nadia

the contest was never about loyalty

the contest was about *advertising* for mmorpg.com and blizzard

This is exactly right. Anyone thinking otherwise is living in a fantasy.

Tell you what though.. lurkers coming out of hiding and moaning about loyalty is just taking the piss tbh. I've been here longer than most. I've wrote guides for certain games, contributed to and submitted news and all that stuff over they years.. you don't see me moaning that I didn't get a key. That's because I'm not a spoilt prick.

I did get a key for HearthStone, amazon.co.uk randomly sent me a key. It's an ok game but it isn't worth all this whining.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Similar topic already here on the front page: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/398801/Users-making-multiple-accounts-for-beta-keys-all-2910-.html

We're hoping to keep this forum for game-related discussion.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.