Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Perfect Booty

2»

Comments

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

imho loot has lost its value nowadays mainly because everything can be planned. Want an epic item? simply grind away the tokens required.

If there was a randomness in loot drops, to the point where one could not plan which boss/encounter to grind, if some really good items were extremely rare, loot would be meaningful again.

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

In my opinion this is where Diablo 3 and quite a few other games that used Diablo as a model make their bigger mistake. I don't think most people want "loot explosions" with 20 items dropping from a boss, from which only 4-5 are the appropriate rarity that we'll even bother to pick them up, and even those that we do bother to pick up have 99% chances to be utterly useless. Looting needs to be less about "lots of crappy drops" and veer towards "stuff doesn't drop very often, but when it does, it counts".

Looting a piece of gear or a crafting pattern should be a unique moment that makes you all excited as you unbox the goods, not a monotonous routine of quickly skipping over the stats of dozens of items that you just throw into the "vendor trash" bag slot.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer

In my opinion this is where Diablo 3 and quite a few other games that used Diablo as a model make their bigger mistake. I don't think most people want "loot explosions" with 20 items dropping from a boss, from which only 4-5 are the appropriate rarity that we'll even bother to pick them up, and even those that we do bother to pick up have 99% chances to be utterly useless. Looting needs to be less about "lots of crappy drops" and veer towards "stuff doesn't drop very often, but when it does, it counts".

Looting a piece of gear or a crafting pattern should be a unique moment that makes you all excited as you unbox the goods, not a monotonous routine of quickly skipping over the stats to just throw "vendor trash" bag slot.

people need to feel rewarded. i'm going to go ahead and guess that the vast majority of people would rather see crappy stuff drop than nothing at all. sure, give bosses loot tables based on their archetype / level or even on the boss itself but don't restrict them to dropping all or nothing at a low chance. camping a specific mob for days to have it finally spawn and only drop whiskers and a tooth was not one of the fun aspects of the original EQ.

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445
    For there to be Good loot, there has to be bad Loot,

Quit trying to even out everything, Noone wants to play wow anymore.

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750
    Originally posted by killahh
    For there to be Good loot, there has to be bad Loot, Quit trying to even out everything, Noone wants to play wow anymore.

I think there can be a middle ground here.

Items decay on use::

This gives a need for skilled crafters. You can make a living as a crafter by repairing other people's items for a fee.

regular mobs have a loot table::

Comes in 3 varieties...   1. direct crafting ingredients (fire beetle eye)......2. common loots that can be used or broken down for base crafting (rusty dagger with minor stats).......3. chance for rare crafting component or rare drop (blazing fire beetle eye,, Dagger of the Dead....great stats and changes you into a walking dead when equipped.

special named mobs would also have a loot table::

1. Dagger of the Dead....great stats and changes you into a walking dead when equipped.

2.  rare crafting component and powerful weapon/armor that is 3 lvls above you in stats.

3. Chupacabra, the Dagger of Fear.   This would be a very rare drop that has a mist of purple skulls floating around it. This weapon has stats 4 levels above you and has a clickable Fear spell duration 5 seconds with refresh timer of 20 seconds.

All of this would need to be tradable, sellable, and maybe only class driven for equipping. Let the various mob and area tiers be the part that makes one weapon or armor not as good. So basically an iron golem won't really get hurt by a person running around with a copper sword, or a person shooting a tier 1 fireball. Also the person using the copper sword would get it worn out very quickly and the person shooting the tier 1 fireball would obviously run out of mana or get killed fast.

• LaiquendiLaiquendi Member Posts: 73

I agree 100%.  EQ1 had some really awesome random drops in some areas, and the world rare didnt do them justice.  Like the GBS in the hills out side of qeynos, I remember camping that with someone in California ( Im in NY) in shifts for weeks to make sure we got one.  Then, once we got it, we ran to EC caves and sold it and slip the plat.  We were so well off from that one rare drop, we were on easy street for a long time. 

But theres nothing like that any more.  Rares like that should be out there for the soloers or none raiders. 

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

It wouldn't hurt if they did have a booty slider during character creation though.   I'd like my character to have a nicely toned backside if possibe. 

=P