Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft: On Hating Warcraft and Loving Hearthstone

2»

Comments

• xop9159756xop9159756 Member Posts: 1

hate Warcraft.??NO~~it is the best game on the world 

The hearthstone is the different game then Warcraft more brainstorm ?more fun

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Is this more of a blog post then a feature...?

Because.........

• Sajman01Sajman01 Member Posts: 204
    Polish and simple design is a winning formula.

Why video games these days continue to push complexity with a ton of unpolished features is a mystery to me.
  • sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431

Hearthstone is a new genre for Blizzard.

And surprise, surprise it will set a new reference and money making standard yet again.

MTG just scratched the surface, certainly in its digital form.

You could call MTG on line the EQ of digital CCG's.

HS is the new WoW in CCG land without a shadow of a doubt.

It doesn't cost 400 dollars every 4 months, its mechanics are not clumsy for on line play, everyone can win and you don't need to pay anything to have a fast10 minutes of dueling fun.

It is simply great.

• pvuekpvuek Member Posts: 3
    wow! its really great game!
    Originally posted by Sephastus

Warcraft is just the story world where all those version of the game happen. Heck, there could be a warcraft themed chess or monopoly (and there probably is), and it has no reflection on what you think about the game itself. You could love chess, yet hate monopoly too. Now my honest warning:

Veteran Card player here. Phases of Card games:

1) Learning the rules + initial lust

2) Finding your personal likes + looking for "best deck for all occasions"

3) Deciding to invest to get that "holy grail" deck.

4) Realizing it is a huge waste of money since there will always be new cards and your deck will never be up to par, unless you are investing tons of money. Or spend tons of money in tournaments to get super rare (powerful) cards.

5) Either quit, or go back to 3.

I have quit card games, even though at one point I had spent tons of money on actual cards, and at one point, digital cards, when I played in the EQ2 version of the game.

I can understand you Seph. I like to play card games too.

But lately this CCG genre has evolved. And the shameless money grabbing techniques and milking were tuned down in newer products.

It was a shame indeed that excellent CCG's like Magic, Star Wars (the older from the 90's), Star Trek (90's too) all milked their fan base dry in around 20 months time with expansions every 4 months and a cost of approx; 400 dollars !!! to buy all cards per expansion.

The end result of course was an ever tiny player base after X months time of nerds willing to pay 1000 dollars per year to keep up...

But I must say lately new forms showed up that limit the costs, like an excellent solo (co operative) CCG like Lord of the Rings where the total cost never exceeds 90 dollars per year, ALL cards included and new adventure packs delivered to have fun.

-

That being said Hearthstone can be played free AND feels rewarding since the game is delivered with lots of powerful basic cards and you can earn a free pack of cards every 2 days just by doing one daily quest ... per day...

I think Blizzard stroke a great deal for players who don't want to pay anything in a F2P game. Also your rating will seed you with other players of the same win/loss ratios, so the people you'll meet have your ratings (whether they bought packs or not).

What's more important: once you see the free to play options in HS (and free rewards every 2 days), you will NEVER want to go back in the money scam of these other card games.

In fact Hearthstone lets you craft new cards... by disenchanting (destroying) your extra ones and so you can even choose the cards you want to add (a rare one costs 100 dust, while destroying one costs 20 dust). So you will never get all these useless cards in your collection and you can build the cards you want. Maximum number per deck is 2, so you'll destroy anything over 2.

My daily today is " win 2 games with a druid or hunter" . I'll get 40 Gold from that and one extra win will give me 10 Gold.

For 100 Gold I ... get a pack of cards for free...with at least one to two rares/epics or a Legendary...

You can't get much more free play than that really.

So try it: you'll be in for a sursprise.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    I have a feeling that Hearthstone is going to be a feature in the next expansion of WoW.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by SirFubar

Look at all these people who fail to read and here to spam....

On topic, I don't understand how could someone hate warcraft. The lore was so rich, deep and fun before WoW. The WC3 campaign was such a blast to play, one of the best campaign of any RTS so far. And wc2 was a really awesome game too back in the days. I guess you either never been an RTS fan or you just never took time to follow the story.

There are more flavors than just yours.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Originally posted by Mors.Magne
    I have a feeling that Hearthstone is going to be a feature in the next expansion of WoW.

Seperate games.

They won't include HS within WOW.

But they could have deals on both games ... like getting free card packs for an active WOW subscription per month would be very tempting if you like both games. Like 5 free packs for one monthly WOW sub.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by sportsfan
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

Seperate games.

They won't include HS within WOW.

i wouldn't be surprised if it was within WOW

and would be consistent with Blizzard keeping all hearthstone regions separate for card collections

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/974/view/forums/thread/398878/Hearthstone-cross-region-playing.html

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Hearthstone-Could-Playable-Within-World-Warcraft-58781.html

in a new interview, Hearthstone lead artist Ben Thompson said that it's possible that the two games could become intertwined someday.

"Sure, I think that fantasy is sure floated around from time to time," Thompson told AusGamers when asked if WoW players would be able to challenge each other to Hearthstone matches within the MMO. "Something like that could be cool, but right now we’re really focused on making Hearthstone the best game it can be. Maybe there’ll be cool interactions down the line, but for now we’re really focused on Hearthstone a great stand-alone."

• JuaksJuaks Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Originally posted by Homitu

If Blizzard is good at anything, it's making 'niche' genres accessible to a much broader audience.  They introduced millions of new players to RTS games with the Warcraft and Starcraft series.  (I know people who have only played two games in their entire lives: Pac Man and Starcraft.)  They made one of the most widely played action adventure games in the Diablo franchise.  Then, of course, they opened the world of MMOs to millions and millions of people who had no idea what the acronym even stood for.  

I can't help but feel Hearthstone is following suit perfectly.  

There's no barrier of entry - it's free for anyone to try.  It's solely a video game, meaning there's no obligation to dump hundreds of dollars on packs of real cards.  The game hands you 8 basic starter decks and introduces to you to every class in a no-pressure environment against AI then advanced AI.  Even playing against other players is a lot less stressful than many people have come to expect.  Matches are super quick, lasting between 5 and 15 minutes, making it even more accessible for quick pick-up matches than popular MOBA games like DOTA 2 and League of Legends.  There's no chat, so no chance for harassment.  And there's no obvious penalty for losing.  You simply quickly move on to the next game.  In Arena, you're rewarded well enough to not demoralize you even if you go 0-3.  

On top of that, there's all the lighthearted humor and lore of the Warcraft universe which creates an air of familiarity to the millions of people who have interacted with Warcraft at one time or another but who may never have played a TCG or CCG before.  

I totally agree with this post. Blizzard will do it again with this new IP. Hearthstone will be HUGE.

• wulala9527wulala9527 Member Posts: 6
    Both of the two games are great, I liked.
  • darkspy07darkspy07 Member Posts: 2
    i love this game :)
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

Nice to see some others who don't like the Warcraft thing.  Don't care for their brand of humor, their world lore was generic and poorly written, the initial implementation (wow) poorly set up, etc.   Whatever their special sauce is to most gamers, it doesn't apparantly effect me.  Haven't cared much for a single game of theirs, so this one will get a bye too.  

One of the advantages of having so many games out there, you can probably find one that will give you what you need.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182
    Originally posted by Mikey_Hazard

I totally agree EXCEPT…

My buddy has earned like 10 booster packs through playing, not spending a dime, over the course of a month or so.

Imagine having been able to earn 10 packs of Magic: The Gathering cards a month just by playing. Also, you are earning XP for both yourself and each of your classes (sense of progression), you get like 300 bonus gold for every 100 wins, and you can disenchant cards and/or win arena matches to get dust and create EXACTLY the next card you want in your collection.

Will I spend money on this game? Yes… Here and there, absolutely.

Will I spend anywhere NEAR as much as I needed to with M:TG? No way… There’s zero reason to do so.

You should compare Hearthstone to Magic 2014: Duels of the Planeswalkers, where you can unlock all the cards by playing the game.

The best feature of Hearthstone is the arena where you build a deck from random cards, so it doesnt matter if you have all the cards or not.

If you win 7 times or more you get admission gold fee to join again.

Its just bummer if you win 0-5 times and have to make gold by playing constructed games.

You can learn about arena by watching a stream on Twitch, the streams are very popular, Trump is constantly pulling 10k viewers.

• ZajjarZajjar Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Originally posted by crack_fox
    Originally posted by Rockniss
    How can anyone hate warcraft? This is the grand daddy mmorpg and all the parasites that feed off of it that you "love" wouldn't be around today if it wasn't for WoW introducing mmorpg's to the world. 

Is this proof of the existence of a parallel universe? That's not quite how it happened in my reality.

LOL.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by JudgeUK
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Is it possible to hate Warcraft and yet love Hearthstone? It sure seems like it! Read on for our thoughts.

I hate Warcraft. I have since I first saw my friend playing Warcraft 2 at his house back when I was a teenager. My disdain for the series continued when I tried to play Warcraft 3 and, of course, when World of Warcraft took the world by storm in 2004. Yet, here I am roughly a week into the closed beta of Hearthstone and I’m having a great time. Sure, I find myself annoyed as I’ve always been with the Warcraft style of humor. I cringe every time I hear a Murloc’s arblgarbl or “Mind if I roll need?!” whenever I play a Loot Hoarder card, but I’m still addicted to the game.

Read more of Michael Bitton's On Hating Warcraft and Loving Hearthstone.

Bill, I can never understand people who go out of their way to say they hate "game". If a game is not to your tastes, then there are lots of others out there.

Some peoples hate for a game can easily slide into disdain for the people who do like it - and that's never a good road to travel.

So, yeh, Bill didn't even write it. Doubtful you even read it. Shhhh now.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • annonnymoussannonnymouss Member Posts: 1
    I am Alan from Finland and I have always look forward for this day to tell the world about the the great powers of Dr.Zabaza. This great man called Dr.Zabaza was able to bring back my lover who left me, And within the space of 48 hours Dr.Zabaza brought my lover back and since then my love life have been more lovely and peaceful than i ever had. You can also strengthen your relationship or get your lover back by contacting Dr.Zabaza on [email protected] or call him on +2348182620374 and i assure you that you will get a better relationship after the help of Dr.Zabaza