Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

[Column] Shroud of the Avatar: Six Months In

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe Land of AZPosts: 16,643MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

After a successful KickStarter campaign, the Shroud of the Avatar team has been hard at work. A recently released video detailed the past six months and we've got our own unique take on what it all means. Check it out and then head on over to the comments.

At the beginning of the video Richard Garriott, aka Lord British, acknowledges that housing is a large part of their game, and land is going to be at a premium. From the opening we are shown a number of flybys of two different types of settlements. The focus of the housing portion of the video appears to take place in Owl’s Head village. On the outskirts of the village we are show palisades and more rustic homesteads. As players progress to the center of the village we find fortified walls and structures made of stone. This is where the seat of power will reside within the village, which is starting to look more like a city than a village. 

Read more of Rob Lashley's Shroud of the Avatar: Six Months In.

Associate Editor: MMORPG.com
Follow me on Twitter: @MMORPGMom

Comments

• ChaaKChaaK hehePosts: 39Member

Did you just described a video or did I miss the point?

edit : On topic BTW, I'm absolutly not in housing, at least individual. I didn't even made the quest in LOTRO for exemple.

I'm more interested in guild halls or something, which can be a meeting place.

• zellmerzellmer Fakesville, WIPosts: 442Member

Housing is more like "Fine, whatever..." from the video.

But the tail end of that post with them trying to offer up a Steam workshop like service for content providers with real or in game compensation brings a:

"Wait, how are you even going to begin to...  You're freaking kickstarted..."

reaction for sure..

It 's just setting warning signs for me of the "usual" kickstarter stuff full of a hundred promises and the end result being maybe 1-10 of them..

• superconductingsuperconducting Rochester, NYPosts: 843Member Uncommon

Oh, how thoughtful of them to let people in on the plans to create a utopian society that only the wealthy can truly enjoy! Just splendid.

Because It's commonplace to disregard the average backer who believed in this game enough to support it but without completely emptying their wallet, isn't it?

It's well known that these Kickstarter things are just crowdfunding gimmicks where promises don't really mean anything, right?

• JaedorJaedor Denver, COPosts: 1,140Member Uncommon

Originally posted by superconducting
    Oh, how thoughtful of them to let people in on the plans to create a utopian society that only the wealthy can truly enjoy! Just splendid.Because It's commonplace to disregard the average backer who believed in this game enough to support it but without completely emptying their wallet, isn't it?It's well known that these Kickstarter things are just crowdfunding gimmicks where promises don't really mean anything, right?

Kinda feeling this way myself lately, though I was very impressed with the City of Titans campaign.

• OlgarkOlgark BostonPosts: 319Member Uncommon
    You do know you can earn everything in game without having to buy it vie the add on shop on the web site.

• FearumFearum Cinnaminson, NJPosts: 1,166Member Uncommon
    Not into the housing stuff at all so skipped to the part with some combat and crafting. Looks good for only been in development for 6 months though. Dropped some dough into the kickstarter because I liked what he was describing and also just because I have no faith in the AAA titles to come out with anything interesting anymore, so looks forward to seeing what these indie guys are going to come out with in the near future.
  • superconductingsuperconducting Rochester, NYPosts: 843Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by kalen41
    Originally posted by superconducting

Oh, how thoughtful of them to let people in on the plans to create a utopian society that only the wealthy can truly enjoy! Just splendid.

Because It's commonplace to disregard the average backer who believed in this game enough to support it but without completely emptying their wallet, isn't it?

It's well known that these Kickstarter things are just crowdfunding gimmicks where promises don't really mean anything, right?

[mod edit]

You obviously have NO idea who you think you're talking to.

I've been following and backed the game from day 1. Long enough to move from being a full-on fan to being lukewarm and ambivalent. I've participated in numerous discussions about SotA.

I full well KNOW and KNEW it's possible to obtain a house with in-game currency. Point is that in spite of this the game in my view is turning out to be a cash grab. [mod edit]