Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think its over.

Comments

• Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213
    About sums it up.
  • sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Want to know how to cut a MMORPG budget in half? Cut out the voice over work and cut scenes :)

That's totally not true.

The only way to cut the costs in half is cut down on the music/sound quality and on graphics. You need to use some already available music and generic "I hit you with a sword" sounds. You need to pay less attention to details on gear, provide lower resolution textures and tone down on all the particle effects. 

Unfortunately, if you do all that you end up either with Minecraft or with a game "feels incredibly fake and cheap, we are not in the 90s any more".

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Currently also pretty burned out by MMOs. GW2 kept me interested for a few months, but after the addition of ascended weapons it just turned into a horrible grind. Tried FFXIV and decided after 10 minutes that I've seen this game a dozen times already, and uninstalled.

As it seems there are no interesting MMOs coming out for the rest of the year, I've been enjoying many single-player games since. Finally finished my playthrough in Dark Souls, finally got around to play both Batman games, DmC Devil May Cry and Brütal Legend. Now playing through all the missed Assassin's Creed games (just finished Brotherhood and now playing Revelations). I got a coupon which secured me the third Batman game, plus AC IV Black Flag and Splinter Cell Blacklist. I also intend to get AC3 before I delve into AC4, so I'd say I should be well occupied into December and maybe even next year.

Oh and I haven't even touched Dishonored yet...

Good times to not be an MMO-junkie.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by IG-88

Unfortunately.....i fully agree with you. It used to feel like you were missing out on something when you didnt play for a day, but now...who cares?

Perhaps im getting old too.

My views exactly.  I wish they'd stop releasing games that are essentially the same with just slightly different graphics.  I get more fun playing Minecraft than I do playing MMOs these days.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Dont look at me.

I even stopped playing Vanguard.

And theres certainly no other MMO out there that looks interesting enough to play it.

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605

It's been over for a while. MMOs stopped being cool when they became mainstream. It's the natural process of art becoming entertainment. If WoW hadn't done it, another game would have, it was inevitable.

There still is art in video games I imagine, it's just a case of finding it.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by tristanryan

Im honestly tired.

Tired of trying.

Tired of searching.

Tired of gimmicks and false advertisement.

Tired of rude communities.

Tired of lazy and/or scamming developers. (usually both)

Maybe im just getting old. What happened to the addictiveness, the spark, the magic, the difficulty and the competition. Every single game is the exact same bullshit. They are all one month wonders with zero longevity designed for someone with the intelligence of a gnat overpopulated with people that think they are genious. What the hell happened? I remember 10-12 years ago just day dreaming on what was ahead and what this genre would become. I remember wondering how amazed we would all be. I remember wondering about how amazing the virtual worlds would be that we would all explore. I remember real difficulty and the penalties if you died or failed. The comraderie and teamwork. I remember real communities. Real friendships and relationships that carried over off the screen. Now its just a huge cesspool no matter what game you enter its total rudeness and hate.

We should be treated with more respect. We spend thousands and thousands of dollars on games and keeping our systems up to spec to stay on top and its all just full of regret now. Total waste of time and money. Tell me a game thats worth the time and i will explain how ive played it and the problems it has.

I work 40-60 hours per week, i take very, very good care of my family but i still have the night. I mostly drink beer, read forums and wonder what the fuck happened.

Sorry for the rant.

You need to step away from mmos. Seriously people get like you when they focus on one genre too long.

As an example if i played nothing but fighting games, I would have typed the same exact post about the superiority of Street fighter Alpha 3 and how the genre has been crap since then. 

Obviously this isnt true but too you it is because not only have you overstayed your welcome and become addicted you have these old nostalgic feelings dictating if you can have fun or not... 

Step away.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• page975page975 Member Posts: 312
    [mod edit]

+1

I agree with you 100% with this and your OP.  But whats going on here is that Most people here are not REALLY MMO PLAYERS. They filtered in here after the 30 day games came about.....They are video game players not mmo players !

Thats why you get people sticking up for the crap we have now !!!! ....Add to the fact many are freebee players looking for something free to play.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Originally posted by Scot
    MMORPG's died and have been replaced by cash shop easyMMOde games. I only still play them because I enjoy being in a guild, if it was not for that I would be long gone.

This..  the catering to the casuals and f2p base has completely ruined the genre for me.

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    I had walked away from the genre for a good time at least twice. Right now I am hard set to not spend a dime on anymore subpar MMORPGs. I don't even stick to the free ones because of quest hubs.

I am happy just dabbling and what seems to be some change with not every game coming out being a WoW clone.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Hmm lately i've been wondering where i put myself in terms of categories the op presents.

on the one hand, I did not come into the genre in the 90's i came in with the 'slightly' pre wow era.

And the other, A huge rpg fan with a love of large virtual worlds.

We don't get those worlds anymore. in terms of virtual worlds we get segregated, fast travel maps instead of worlds. skyrim for example, you can "hot drop" anywhere in the world effectively making it a series of levels instead of a world.

Amusingly, but somewhat related, I was looking for a solution for a repeating world map in the style of finial fantasy games and found just about no-one knew how to do them anymore. which imo speaks volumes about development fundamentals being taught today.

Ideally, Fallen earth embodies most fundamentals of world design that i applaud. Even though it is a map, you transverse said map with vehicles of your own crafting, harvested from the the map. There is player towns a cities where people congregate and trade and bunker bars for people to socialize and gamble to complete the post appoc experience.

Its my belief that where FE fall down, and mmo's today fall down is 2 fold.

+There is no social interaction.
    social interaction was a big deal coming out of the 90's and 2000's mmo's where better than a chat room because you could actually move in a physical space to play games together. Now, we have all kind of social media sits such as facebook, youtube, ect that it kinda losses its magic.

+You cant live in the world.
    You cant carve out your own piece of the world to live on. in regards to fallen earth it would be nice be able to let your clan build a persistent compound in the desert to survive in something maybe akin to the mad max petroleum compound.

Typical response to this would be "go outside and dig holes + if i want a job i would go to work" well, unless your an astronaut you cant fly in space can you? virtual worlds allows your fantasies to be come trasversable.

On last thing, people will probably call me a sandbox guy. I'm not. the terms "theme park' and 'sandbox' are totally irrelevant for a virtual world.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    most of the game had to devolved to Cather to more people.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

I still remember a old quote "god created world in 7 days , we can create a (virtual) world in 7 years" or something like that.

But now we get some games and where is (virtual) world ?

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

OP I felt the same as you do. Since I got involved with Star Citizen a year ago. This game is pretty much the last straw...If this game will fail to deliver (and Im very postitve that this game will be good) Im done with MMOs.

So I hope for you, that you might find a project like I did, where you can feel to be a part of the community and you really have chances to influence the game and the work in progress.

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by ThomasN7
    Unless Blizzard comes up with something amazing in their next mmo I think the mmo genre is pretty much done

That's the case if you only use WOW as a MMO template.

There are other type of MMOs around which are doing just fine and where their communities are just laughing when ppl think the MMO genre is dead when they get bored of WOW or see WOW is losing subscribers as their players reach adulthood.

There are other flavors out there, look for em.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Muke
    Originally posted by ThomasN7
    Unless Blizzard comes up with something amazing in their next mmo I think the mmo genre is pretty much done

That's the case if you only use WOW as a MMO template.

There are other type of MMOs around which are doing just fine and where their communities are just laughing when ppl think the MMO genre is dead when they get bored of WOW or see WOW is losing subscribers as their players reach adulthood.

There are other flavors out there, look for em.

Well if you're really really fed up with vanilla ice cream, switching to strawberry is only going to work if you are fed up with vanilla and not ice cream itself.

Not that I believe anyone could actually get fed up with ice cream. Some things have more longevity than others.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Arglebargle
    You guys are burnt out.   Even if they came up with your exact perfect niche game, it wouldn't be the same.   You never step in the same river twice.

Bullshit. I don't know how many enjoyable games i've played over the years each different but good in there own way.

Mmo's tho, really does feel like they have been shoveling shit at me for the last 5-10 years.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

The OP seems to be blaming the industry for him playing the same type of mmo over and over again. Contrary to belief their are still some mmo's that are not the GW2 and NWN or any of the fex ex mmo of today.

Don't moan if you get caught up in the hype.

Why isn't the OP playing Ryzom, Wurm Online, Age Of Wulin, Vanguard, atitd(a tail in the desert) or any of the other numerous mmo's that offer what he says is missing.

It's because he pretends he wants something deeper but falls for the hype and the new shinny with great graphics.

I don't really think he want what he claims he wants or he would be enjoying the games i've mentioned instead of making attention seeking threads on mmorpg.com.

Go play https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueIzp5w2QzY

Features http://wurmonline.com/about-the-game/

• SteelhelmSteelhelm Member UncommonPosts: 332

@op

When you point something outside the box, people will say "go away" because they don't see outside the box. try to get involved in the game making process in some way and try to contribute to that. I think that would help us all.

Talking about games where thousands of players exist simultaneously in a single instance and mechanics related to such games.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I'm currently taking a "leave of absence" from MMO's to recharge my batteries with some solid single-player games. It's always good to exercise a different set of "gaming muscles" every now and then.

MMO's are not "over" for me, just on hold for a while. Could be a few weeks, could also be a few months...

But I'll be back ! image

• AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353
    Originally posted by tristanryan

Im honestly tired.

Tired of trying.

Tired of searching.

Tired of gimmicks and false advertisement.

Tired of rude communities.

Tired of lazy and/or scamming developers. (usually both)

Maybe im just getting old. What happened to the addictiveness, the spark, the magic, the difficulty and the competition. Every single game is the exact same bullshit. They are all one month wonders with zero longevity designed for someone with the intelligence of a gnat overpopulated with people that think they are genious. What the hell happened? I remember 10-12 years ago just day dreaming on what was ahead and what this genre would become. I remember wondering how amazed we would all be. I remember wondering about how amazing the virtual worlds would be that we would all explore. I remember real difficulty and the penalties if you died or failed. The comraderie and teamwork. I remember real communities. Real friendships and relationships that carried over off the screen. Now its just a huge cesspool no matter what game you enter its total rudeness and hate.

We should be treated with more respect. We spend thousands and thousands of dollars on games and keeping our systems up to spec to stay on top and its all just full of regret now. Total waste of time and money. Tell me a game thats worth the time and i will explain how ive played it and the problems it has.

I work 40-60 hours per week, i take very, very good care of my family but i still have the night. I mostly drink beer, read forums and wonder what the fuck happened.

Sorry for the rant.

Sadly, i agree. Unfortunately, todays games are aimed toward that crowd of people that believe music's quality improves if you turn the bass up high, that the song is better if you simply repeat the same few chords enough times in a 3 minute time frame, that with more and 'bigger' explosions a movie is better, and jokes are funnier if they can catch the 'fart' sound clearly enough.

Basically todays 'entertainment' has to be fast, simple, and not 'strain' the grey matter too much, or they get bored and move on. Just isn't enough people around who WANT to think, be challenged, and who enjoy the 'deeper meaning'

Don't think that? Go look at the last 100 movies and their 'user ratings' - most of the ones rated high (8-10 out of 10) are just simply derpderp boomboom derp derp action flicks with no substance, and if any 'talking' happens its retarded humor. Any recent movie with any real 'meat' to its story is likely rated low (3-5) and thats even IF its a decent movie(Watch and judge for self)

Same goes for music. I think its just all around the same for all, simply easier and more profitable to target the larger audience. (Go watch Idiocracy for an idea of our future...lol not the best movie, but it sadly makes sense with our 'current' trend in entertainment.)

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    No more so than the old ones.

Yeh.

I remember .. i stopped playing MMOs after some time at EQ, just because it was not to my liking. And i did not come to forums to rant about it.

I just quit ... went do something else. It was not until WoW fixed many of the programs before i came back to play MMOs. I expect to leave again if games are not to my liking.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    No more so than the old ones.

Yeh.

I remember .. i stopped playing MMOs after some time at EQ, just because it was not to my liking. And i did not come to forums to rant about it.

I just quit ... went do something else. It was not until WoW fixed many of the programs before i came back to play MMOs. I expect to leave again if games are not to my liking.

The sad part is, that's what this site is becoming. The place where mmo players go to die. It's like an old folks home here where everyone sits around talking about how great everything used to be and how it all sucks now. They think because there are other old burn outs around them agreeing it must be the way it is for everyone.

The world outside this rest home gets on just fine without them. It's only the end for the ones wanting to die.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I agree.

But I think a lot of that is the curmudgeonry that one generation always seems to have for the one that comes after them. There is a pretty clear divide, in my opinion, between the culture in gamers that are in their lower 30's-upper teens and those that are older than that bracket. I'm not saying one is right or wrong, or that there aren't exceptions to the rule (and funny how everyone seems to think they are an exception).

But I think we are seeing the generation gap. Games are being developed and published for a different culture than the one I started playing with. I've just accepted that, for better or worse, and I take what enjoyment I can from what there is out there, and try not to dwell too much in what once was.

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

I'm right there with you, OP. 

Gave up on mmorpgs for now and am playing heavily modded Skyrim lately only.

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius