Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game blows Diablo 3 away

Comments

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,367

Funny, I think the art is just fine, and the voice work is great.  The story is better than a ton of other games of much more vaunted reputation.   I played the D3 demo, and it only reminded me why I don't care for a lot of Blizzard stuff.  I even preferred Torchlight's sense of humor to D3's. 

Given that PoE was done by a much smaller team with lots fewer resources, their efforts are pretty dang good.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• BoltonsquadBoltonsquad Member UncommonPosts: 403
    I have played both Diablo 3 to endgame T6 all bosses and Path of Exile endgame (still unable to do endgame bosses due to difficulty) and I have to say even though they are both RPG's they will appeal to different people.

The learning curve of Path of Exile and the depth of the skill tree can be very unforgiving to new players however many improvements have been made and plenty of players on the forums will assist you with the build/guide you are looking for.

My personal opinion Path of Exile offers more in terms of replayability and depth as stated above due to the difficulty of some of the bosses in Path of Exile I'm still unable to achieve them with my current level 91 character.
    However Diablo for me was a cake walk all the way up to T6 and including highend 50+ greater rifts.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    I like both , and play both at differnet times , along with Torchlight 2 and Grim Dawn , all great games and fun , all do some things better than others .. but each has its own merits and downfalls .. None of them are superior to the other imo .... just different .. and thats how it should be
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Grim Dawn is one of the better ARPGs in quite awhile
    Grim Dawn is definitely one of the best medival RPG's I have played, Victor Vran is also another great one
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    edited August 2015
    Niburu said:
    Originally posted by LuciousVictis
    Originally posted by Niburu
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid

although i havent played D3 i would prefer D3 over PoE for two reasons.

1) The console version with gamepad controls and not point and click.

2) The console version has offline mode so i if the servers die i still own and can play the game.

PoE is a very solid ARPG. Despite me hating point and click, PoE is a fun game. But for those two reasons alone i would choose D3 (obviosuly the console version only)

See, thats the point of the whole thread. You prefer a modern, easy mode game created by economics. While the hardcore crowd that played flight simulators with 7 years because it was cool in the 90s wants something that is cool

That has absolutely nothing with what he said at all... Do you people even bother reading thru and understanding what people write here? This is a matter of gameplay style preference, hes clearly not a fan of the point and click and this has nothing to do with D3 being more modern. Being modern is very subjective, technically poe is much more modern with its graphics engine and overall depth of the game. On the other hand, D3 is following this new ``modern`` casual trend with its stylized graphics, shallow gameplay.

If anything, D3 is the cool thing to play since its blizzard crap and overall popularity.

Anyway, i havent played poe in a long time but i still consider it being ONE of the BEST indie game of all time.

playing infront of the tv relaxed with a gamepad usually means console, console means easy games.

see how CoD for consoles ruined shooters, no more UT99

Dark souls says hi to you. More difficult than the majority of PC games.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    PoE has turned into a complete pile of trash. I was in the beginning alpha and CBT tests in 2011, I have thousands of hours played, and this latest "expansion" killed it for me. I'd much rather play D3 if I wanted to play a ARPG right now.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
    OhhPaigey said:
    PoE has turned into a complete pile of trash. I was in the beginning alpha and CBT tests in 2011, I have thousands of hours played, and this latest "expansion" killed it for me. I'd much rather play D3 if I wanted to play a ARPG right now.
    hmph i would figure you as a Torchlight 2 person...
    OhhPaigey said:
    What was it about the expansion that killed it for you?
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Scorchien said:
    OhhPaigey said:
    Is torchlight 2 still active, I completely forgot about that one. I need to give it a try as I bought it ages ago...

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited August 2015
    after you played it some time, you might notice it surely does not "outdo" diablo 3 ^^
    it's a nice and working game. but seriously, messing with diablo? naaaa.

diablo's engine alone wins by miles

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Grim Dawn is one of the better ARPGs in quite awhile
    Grim Dawn is definitely one of the best medival RPG's I have played, Victor Vran is also another great one
    So far I have been dabbling in PoE and Victor Vran.  Both are fun but I prefer Victor vran to be honest.  I haven't heard of Grim Dawn before, gonna go check it out.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• mithossmithoss Member UncommonPosts: 225
    grim dawn is post apocalyptic though
    edited August 2015
    OhhPaigey said:
    I honestly dislike how little trading is involved in the game now. If you want to sell anything you have to undercut yourself by like 50% or let it sit there for weeks before somebody buys it.

Also they've never been able to properly balance certain builds, and 1 patch can bring an item that you bought for like 50 ex, to 5 ex.

The only things that sell are what popular builds are using, and besides the 0.5% of the community that actually makes their own builds and theorycrafts, everybody else just copies.

I feel like what's the point of bragging about a huge skill tree if 99% of your playerbase copies what's on the forums.

Heck, people can't even decide on what talents to take on WoW, and they only have 5 options. Lol.

I mean, the expansion is good, it fixed some things, it changed some things. The biggest improvement was fixing desync, but I think I'm just tired of the same old thing now, years later.
    fivoroth said:
    Scorchien said:
    OhhPaigey said:
    Is torchlight 2 still active, I completely forgot about that one. I need to give it a try as I bought it ages ago...
       yea you can still find some mutli player games .. Some people settin some up thru steam the other day i saw...

I still really enjoy revisiting it .. just got my Outlander to lvl 100

i seem to go thru the 4 in a cycle now D3, POE, Torchlight2 and Grim Dawn .. i play one for 2-4 weeks then move to other ..
        Always stays fresh :)
    OhhPaigey said:
    OhhPaigey said:
    I honestly dislike how little trading is involved in the game now. If you want to sell anything you have to undercut yourself by like 50% or let it sit there for weeks before somebody buys it.

Also they've never been able to properly balance certain builds, and 1 patch can bring an item that you bought for like 50 ex, to 5 ex.

The only things that sell are what popular builds are using, and besides the 0.5% of the community that actually makes their own builds and theorycrafts, everybody else just copies.

I feel like what's the point of bragging about a huge skill tree if 99% of your playerbase copies what's on the forums.

Heck, people can't even decide on what talents to take on WoW, and they only have 5 options. Lol.

I mean, the expansion is good, it fixed some things, it changed some things. The biggest improvement was fixing desync, but I think I'm just tired of the same old thing now, years later.
    yea im part of that 0.5 .. .. Like to find things out on my own ... @ lvl 77 now on the last Difficulty ( Merciless)    .. always fun game to jump into tho
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    The funny thing about POE is that those popular builds were not popular until some streamer tried them out,then everyone jumps on the bandwagon.All you have to do  is be creative and try different approaches to your build.I don't think you can say it is a better game but it is definitely right on par with D3 and for a lot cheaper.

Thing with Blizzard is they could release Diablo 12 and without anyone playing it,millions would buy it on a total whim.point is that Blizzard's success is not based on current products or game design but on past accolades to where millions buy their anything they sell now.

I have played both and hands down i would play POE over Diablo anything and with very little thought into it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    I think PoE is a good game for people who like to mini max and figure out builds. Personally when I play the game I find myself just looking up a build online and not wanting to bother. I save my min maxing for games that have more depth (MMOs) and treat ARPGS much more casually. Diablo 3 suits this much better for me. I also think the gameplay in Diablo 3 feels far superior. PoE feels a little dated to me. 
    Oh yeah, and D3 on console (I played it on PS3) was actually really fun. I've been meaning to get the PS4 version. But I've been keeping busy with other things.
  • SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    @Redcor i m 100% with you :)

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    OhhPaigey said:
    Oh yeah, and D3 on console (I played it on PS3) was actually really fun. I've been meaning to get the PS4 version. But I've been keeping busy with other things.
    Totally agree. I got the PS4 version and don't regret it at all. I actually enjoyed it more than the PC version.

I've played POE, and I do really like it. I think that D3 has more polish, but POE have more depth/complexity. If that's what you're looking for. I found the their system a little overwhelming, myself. Honestly, I have enough games where I need to employ heavy theorycrafting. When I play D3 I just want to kill stuff. Fast. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,177
    I think POE is a better sequal to D2, but I do not think it blows D3 away. While they share the same market, they both cater to different ends of it and those who like both can play both. 
  • wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659
    tried PoE while in beta. terrible game. to say its better than diablo 3 is laughable
  • NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515
     It's a great time for ARPG's. Frankly Diablo 3 just doesn't impress me on any level. I feel like it was a huge step backwards from Diablo 2. PoE on the other hand actually felt like a crossover of Diablo 2 with the skill/materia system of Final Fantasy. I backed it during it's kickstarter and consider it money well invested. Also backed the upcoming ARPG's Grim Dawn and Umbra. Both of which i am also confident about. Also looking forward to the remake of the Van Helsing trilogy which i really enjoyed.

I will give Blizzard some credit though. They are really good at creating "baby's first" games to introduce the mainstream players to niche genre's these days. Diablo 3 is a pretty shallow and simple entry level ARPG in the same way that WoW was a shallow and simple entry level MMO. Over time they do make at least some attempt at complexity with expansions, so perhaps in a few more expansions they may actually turn Diablo 3 into a game worth playing, but by that point it certainly wont be worth the money you have to spend on expansions to get it there.