Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game blows Diablo 3 away

Comments

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Originally posted by thinktank001
    Originally posted by Aori

Figured this was an old thread haha, I tried PoE again but didn't last long. I like the whole making my own character however with desyncs considered a "feature" by the community and the whole botting/account sharing thing takes any competitiveness out of the ladder.

I still can't enjoy boss fights, still feels like I am fighting regular NPC's with ridiculous mechanics. Only thing PoE has over D3 is being a build simulator.

Blizzard is just taking to long with their patches these days.

The feature they talk about is the ability to instantly quit a game, and is a built in feature that the developers take into consideration when they design enemys.   I dislike this feature also and I think it skews development too much and is one of the reasons I quit this game.   

You do realize that this feature makes HC viable right? Ever wonder why nobody plays hc in D3? Because if you disconnect/crash it is almost always certain death.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    I played thousands of hours in D1 & D2 and a few hundreds in D3. I may admit that D3 is a game of higher quality in almost every aspect than PoE, but i cant explain why i like to play it more than D3. It has a certain feeling that i m missing from D3. I dont know exactly what, but it does makes me feel the way a rpg should.

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

I honestly think the game is on par.

Sure path of exile has way more content and things to do in general, and on top of that It's free and gets free expansions regularly, and did they ever fix the annoying desyncing?

But It's camera angle is wonky, and diablo 3 runs way way better, and i often find that a smooth framerate and feel goes a long way to making a game more enjoyable.

I honestly can't pick which one is better, but this is all a personal opinion ofcourse.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Originally posted by kairel182
    That's not saying much.  EVERY ARPG on the market, especially it's predecessor D2, blows it away.

Not even close, sorry. After playing D3 I can't go back to D2; it's like trading in a Ferrari for a Yugo. Take off those extra thick rose colored glasses.

Gotta love how being able to cheat and DC instantly when you're about to die in HC 'makes it viable'. Should I remind people that D3 is no different than D2 in that respect? Also, I've also been killed during races due to the desync 'jumping' me into groups of mobs. It's not a feature, its a god damned bug that GGG can't fix because they'd have to completely redo most of their netcode. So they tout it as a 'feature' instead, which is about as dishonest as it gets.

The game isn't bad at all, and it does do a number of things incredibly well. But it's an amateur effort, and it shows.

Oh, and D3 has a relatively small but thriving HC community, in much the same way D2 did. Personally I think the bigger challenge for HC players to overcome are the oftimes incredibly cheesy enemy ability combinations for the rares and elites.

Frozen, vortex, molten waller = Dead HC character unless the correct ability combinations to counter that are slotted. Very frustrating.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

Originally posted by Solar_Prophet
    Originally posted by kairel182
    That's not saying much.  EVERY ARPG on the market, especially it's predecessor D2, blows it away.

Not even close, sorry. After playing D3 I can't go back to D2; it's like trading in a Ferrari for a Yugo. Take off those extra thick rose colored glasses.

Gotta love how being able to cheat and DC instantly when you're about to die in HC 'makes it viable'. Should I remind people that D3 is no different than D2 in that respect? Also, I've also been killed during races due to the desync 'jumping' me into groups of mobs. It's not a feature, its a god damned bug that GGG can't fix because they'd have to completely redo most of their netcode. So they tout it as a 'feature' instead, which is about as dishonest as it gets.

The game isn't bad at all, and it does do a number of things incredibly well. But it's an amateur effort, and it shows.

Oh, and D3 has a relatively small but thriving HC community, in much the same way D2 did. Personally I think the bigger challenge for HC players to overcome are the oftimes incredibly cheesy enemy ability combinations for the rares and elites.

Frozen, vortex, molten waller = Dead HC character unless the correct ability combinations to counter that are slotted. Very frustrating.

First off: Why are you talking about desync when we are talking about instant logout / disconnect detection? You realize those are two completely different things right? Instant logout is a feature, it makes the game more fast paced and allows hc players to take more risks. Overall it makes hc a lot more fun and the huge number of hc players in PoE shows that. Desync is just bad coding and it is irrelevant to the conversation.

Second: Yes D2 also almost always killed you when you dc'ed near enemies. That's why HC players are/were only 4-5% of total players in both D2 and D3, while in PoE they are 30-40% and maybe more.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by boxsnd

First off: Why are you talking about desync when we are talking about instant logout / disconnect detection? You realize those are two completely different things right? Instant logout is a feature, it makes the game more fast paced and allows hc players to take more risks. Overall it makes hc a lot more fun and the huge number of hc players in PoE shows that. Desync is just bad coding and it is irrelevant to the conversation.

Second: Yes D2 also almost always killed you when you dc'ed near enemies. That's why HC players are/were only 4-5% of total players in both D2 and D3, while in PoE they are 30-40% and maybe more.

Huh?? Being able to disconnect to avoid HC death looks to me like an exploit. HC means nothing if you can pull the plug before your character bites the dust: it completely removes the main challenge of HC. If you are so scared of losing a character permanently, just play softcore instead of doing something "cheat-y". I doubt seriously that this was an intentional "HC feature" of the game.

In my view PoE's HC mode is not real HC since you can continue your character in softcore the first time he dies as if nothing happened. You have very little risk in PoE's version of HC.

That is why I did not bother with PoE's HC and went instead with D3's version. There is a real bite if your character dies: you can never, ever play him again and all of his gear is lost. Fights can become extremely exciting in higher difficulties and for the right reason. No it is not for everyone.

As for the desynch issue, it is a real bummer. D3 servers are very good though at times they can have lagspikes too when there is a big patch or some such. On the contrary, it is persistent in PoE and can make the game at times unplayable. There is no way to excuse it, it should be fixed. Period. If GGG fixed it, this game would totally rock and I would come back for a while. As it stands now, the desynch and other server problems completely override the positive aspects of the game for me.

Such a shame.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• EldrachEldrach Member RarePosts: 406

This game is a great free to play game.  There are several reasons i don't like the game as much as D3.

1. The environments are really boring, the only one that stands out is the Temple of the Sun, which is awesome.

2. Instead of tweaking current skills to be more interesting, they just keep adding new ones. (yes, i know they are balancing them, but i think the skills could get a bit more love in terms of morphing abillities besides support gems and new particle efffects).

3. The items are REALLY boring, due to the complicated sockets / support gem system..the actual stats on the items is so "general" that the items feels just ..Meeh.

4. I hate vendor recipies, anything that in reality forces you out of the actual game to search for these hidden things was cool in 1999, but today it feels like a chore

5. Upgrades that are not upgrades. You can get an awesome item with the wrong socket combo and never use it because you re-roll the sockets 150 times without result

6 The lore, while not the Most important part of an aarpg, it still counts..and in PoE its just gibberish (yeah, they've tried to improve upon it, but it's as interesting as watching a chinese soap opera without subtitles).

7. The mobs, also..boring.

8. The map system was cool, but quickly became repetative.

7. The inventory system is horrendous..you can talk as much about "hardcore" as you want, but the only thing their inventory accomplishes, is frustration.

8. The passive skill tree is so bloated to feel "extensive" that it feels overwhelming and if you thread wrong when levling, you're mostly stuck with your choices unless you find an abudance of regret orbs.

Originally posted by MurlockDance
    Originally posted by boxsnd

Huh?? Being able to disconnect to avoid HC death looks to me like an exploit. HC means nothing if you can pull the plug before your character bites the dust: it completely removes the main challenge of HC. If you are so scared of losing a character permanently, just play softcore instead of doing something "cheat-y". I doubt seriously that this was an intentional "HC feature" of the game.

In my view PoE's HC mode is not real HC since you can continue your character in softcore the first time he dies as if nothing happened. You have very little risk in PoE's version of HC.

That is why I did not bother with PoE's HC and went instead with D3's version. There is a real bite if your character dies: you can never, ever play him again and all of his gear is lost. Fights can become extremely exciting in higher difficulties and for the right reason. No it is not for everyone.

As for the desynch issue, it is a real bummer. D3 servers are very good though at times they can have lagspikes too when there is a big patch or some such. On the contrary, it is persistent in PoE and can make the game at times unplayable. There is no way to excuse it, it should be fixed. Period. If GGG fixed it, this game would totally rock and I would come back for a while. As it stands now, the desynch and other server problems completely override the positive aspects of the game for me.

Such a shame.

In D2 you could also logout instantly which is exactly the same as alt-F4ing. So is D2's HC also not real?

No HC player continues playing their dead HC char in softcore. Most of us either instantly delete them or (if very high level) keep them for future experimenting / testing builds since every few months we get full respecs. I think it's a nice feature targeted mainly to softcore players who want to try their luck in hardcore. I know it has converted a lot of people from sc to hc.

About D3: Let's not forget that for a long time you could actually ressurect your dead D3 hc char if you told blizzard that you were hacked. And then there is the whole D3 not being challenging issue. I don't see how someone can claim that D3 is more hardcore than PoE with a straight face.

• TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827

D3 has really nice graphics, animations, and the combat feels nice.

It is also very boring. Where you could put in thousands of hours in D2, you will be burned out in D3 within 100 hours.

In that, PoE is more like D2.

Someone else said it before in this thread. D3 has the polish, PoE has the substance.

• perran7691perran7691 Member UncommonPosts: 34
    With the release of the next gen console versions of D3:UEE and the ability to play with your friends local co-op D3 has hit it's stride. The smooth framerate, 1080p and controls (which btw work incredibly well). It's freaking amazing sitting on the couch playing UEE on a 55" tv and drinking some beers with friends. This to me is what separates D3:UEE from POE.
  • ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686
    Originally posted by perran7691
    With the release of the next gen console versions of D3:UEE and the ability to play with your friends local co-op D3 has hit it's stride. The smooth framerate, 1080p and controls (which btw work incredibly well). It's freaking amazing sitting on the couch playing UEE on a 55" tv and drinking some beers with friends. This to me is what separates D3:UEE from POE.

To be fair I don't think PoE is aimed at those who want to sit back and play on their TV with some friends a some beers.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    What I find funny is that everyone says that yet so many more people play D3.  I played POE for awhile, I liked it but had some issues.  I also played D3 for awhile as well.  ( I also came back to both on and off and still do as I like both games) The population on D3 is always strong and groups are incredibly easy to find and get into.  When I play POE, the population is much less.  Understand I am not trying to put down either game, but I am trying to wrap my head around why almost everyone says POE is better yet it seems like so many more play D3.  I get the bigger company and marketing strength of blizzard, but gamers usually flock to the better game, just haven't see that here.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Yes it blows away D3 : with massive lag spikes, pay2win game system, disgusting grinding, bad storyline and ..well i have lost count. 

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• markh777markh777 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Jester...you are a dolt...there is no pay to win here as cash shop is cosmetic only...so explain that plz??
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Redcor

Well, I like the fact that is hard to grasp. (PC games should be more complex than others)

I find the loot system much more interesting than D3, I work for gear rather than buy it.

And on my system with a gtx 680 it looks nicer than D3 on max setting to me. Maybe its the art style and the attention to detail but it looks better to me.

The huge build options are what push it over the edge in my opinion.

I am still on rout to max level but so far I am impressed.

errrrrm if you don't like the customization possibilites, i don't really see where you come from here.

that's where PoE truely shines, and THAT is most likely the main point for saying "it's better than d3, huehuehue"

if you think PoE has a better gfx engine, i gotta tell you, it does not.

d3's gfx engine TOTALY rocks and that's not even a personal opinion but plain and simple a fact.

Originally posted by jesteralways
    Yes it blows away D3 : with massive lag spikes, pay2win game system, disgusting grinding, bad storyline and ..well i have lost count. 

and how the hell is PoE pay to win? because you can buy skins?

seriously, i suggest you stop throwing terms around, unless you know what they mean....

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Sometimes people just make it painfully obvious they never even played/tried the games that they bash.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184
    I was glad Path of Exile was a free to play game because I would have regretted the purchase.  I know the trendy thing is to hate on Blizzard, but I really enjoyed D1, 2 and 3.  I just couldn't get into Path of Exile.  I've tried it 3 times now, and could not log more than an hour total.  I can't quite figure out what it is that makes me dislike it, but D3 and Marvel Heroes capture my attention far more than this one could.
  • LuciousVictisLuciousVictis Member CommonPosts: 123
    Originally posted by Thane
    Originally posted by Redcor

Well, I like the fact that is hard to grasp. (PC games should be more complex than others)

I find the loot system much more interesting than D3, I work for gear rather than buy it.

And on my system with a gtx 680 it looks nicer than D3 on max setting to me. Maybe its the art style and the attention to detail but it looks better to me.

The huge build options are what push it over the edge in my opinion.

I am still on rout to max level but so far I am impressed.

errrrrm if you don't like the customization possibilites, i don't really see where you come from here.

that's where PoE truely shines, and THAT is most likely the main point for saying "it's better than d3, huehuehue"

if you think PoE has a better gfx engine, i gotta tell you, it does not.

d3's gfx engine TOTALY rocks and that's not even a personal opinion but plain and simple a fact.

and how the hell is PoE pay to win? because you can buy skins?

seriously, i suggest you stop throwing terms around, unless you know what they mean....

POE is the real D3, end of the story. D3 has nothing to do with D2 other than maybe lore but i couldnt care less about that. D3 doesnt have terrible graphics, it is very artsy, creative but POE capture the same feel and atmosphere we had in D2, which in my opinion is much better. Not only is poe much more complex, deep with endless customization but it has better setting and graphics than D3.

Blizzard fanboy will defend this game to death. Imo, i cant stand these kids graphics and how casual the overall game feels. I didnt regret buying D3 but i didnt play it more than my first run.

GGG came out with sooo many amazing new idea with this game, its insane. Just imagine how great it would have been with bigger budget, maybe they could have fixed this god awefull desync and lag issues.

I didnt play poe for that many months but i totally agree with the op.

So much respect for GGG, really. 

• Varex12Varex12 Member CommonPosts: 357
    D3 was slightly better at launch.  Now?  It's not even close.  D3 is vastly superior on every level.  
  • iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Originally posted by Varex12
    D3 was slightly better at launch.  Now?  It's not even close.  D3 is vastly superior on every level.  

....in your opinion.

Hey, Some people like simple consolofied games with childish graphics, little build diversity and RMT (OK at least they finally took the last thing out after a year or two.)  Oh don't forget a single-player game that requires you to be always online for no reason. 

Personally I'm happy I never wasted money on D3. Wouldn't touch that shit if they gave it away free. PoE on the other hand I'd strongly consider paying for if they asked.

• Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469

I agree, minus the last 3 words in the title.

And despite that opinion, it is still superior to D3.

-Chuckles
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

although i havent played D3 i would prefer D3 over PoE for two reasons.

1) The console version with gamepad controls and not point and click.

2) The console version has offline mode so i if the servers die i still own and can play the game.

PoE is a very solid ARPG. Despite me hating point and click, PoE is a fun game. But for those two reasons alone i would choose D3 (obviosuly the console version only)

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid

2) The console version has offline mode so i if the servers die i still own and can play the game.

PoE is a very solid ARPG. Despite me hating point and click, PoE is a fun game. But for those two reasons alone i would choose D3 (obviosuly the console version only)

See, thats the point of the whole thread. You prefer a modern, easy mode game created by economics. While the hardcore crowd that played flight simulators with 7 years because it was cool in the 90s wants something that is cool

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Niburu

See, thats the point of the whole thread. You prefer a modern, easy mode game created by economics. While the hardcore crowd that played flight simulators with 7 years because it was cool in the 90s wants something that is cool

point and click doesnt make a game more hardcore. To me personally only make it annoying to control. But both are different gameplay options, same game, same difficulty. If Blizzard made the console version easier then well that sucks...... but controls arent the reason behind it.

Offline mode doesnt make a game any more casual either as long as the difficulty is there. As for the economics, well if im purchasing a game that is not an mmo service then i expect to own the game. And if the servers ever die i still have a playable game that i paid for (offline mode).

• LuciousVictisLuciousVictis Member CommonPosts: 123
    Originally posted by Niburu

That has absolutely nothing with what he said at all... Do you people even bother reading thru and understanding what people write here? This is a matter of gameplay style preference, hes clearly not a fan of the point and click and this has nothing to do with D3 being more modern. Being modern is very subjective, technically poe is much more modern with its graphics engine and overall depth of the game. On the other hand, D3 is following this new ``modern`` casual trend with its stylized graphics, shallow gameplay.

If anything, D3 is the cool thing to play since its blizzard crap and overall popularity.

Anyway, i havent played poe in a long time but i still consider it being ONE of the BEST indie game of all time.