Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game blows Diablo 3 away

RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426
 Amazing, just played this for a few days now and I am amazed at how much better this is than Diablo 3. Goes to show that even a billion dollar company like Blizard can be outdone at thier own game. Path of Exile is not just better its WAY better. Crap, even the graphics are better than a company with an unlimited budget. lol. If you have not played this yet give it a least an hour of your time. And its free. wow

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard

Comments

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Path of Exile has a better loot system but Diablo 3 has better combat.  That is how I view it.
  • Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213

D3 has better combat, better graphics, better sound, and a superior skill system.

PoE has slightly better loot, and the leagues (ladders) are handled very well.

While I feel D3 is by far the superior game, PoE is free, and when you consider that (as far as I know) it's the first game most people at GGG have made it's a solid effort. Amateurish, but solid.

• WebferretWebferret Member UncommonPosts: 90

Sixty bucks and over 700 hours on D3 and personally got my moneys worth from it, but if I had the chance I would never of bought it due to its major failings on Blizz's behalf.

PoE, Been playing it since closed beta. Far superior to D3 in every way (My opinion) Even with the issues some are having. I have never had many issues, but I know a few that have with desync etc.

But all in all, they are both worth a little time playing them, But if ARPG's are your thing, PoE is better in strides. RoS wont save D3 I feel, it will be lucky to sell a third of the initial sales.

But we are all different and I know there are D3 diehards (Check the D3 forums and put up a semi negative post to flush them out hehe) in the end try both and see what one you prefer. 

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by Aori
    Originally posted by ThomasN7
    Path of Exile has a better loot system but Diablo 3 has better combat.  That is how I view it.

Which hoping loot 2.0 is going to fix for Diablo 3. Loot 1.5 is working fantastic for the consoles from my understanding. The loot system is good in PoE though the "crafting" can be rage inducing.

Loot 1.5 is bad because Blizzard made gear to accessible and it makes the console very way too easy which makes the game boring. I just hope loot 2.0 does not make D3 like the console version or else D3 will not be worth playing anymore. Too accessible is not good. Good lord I miss D2!

• WikileaksEUWikileaksEU Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Yeah. PoE is an updated version of Diablo 2, they made it even more interesting but it's still not Diablo 2, Diablo 2 gave you that feeling you don't get in Diablo 3 or PoE. I can't really explain it.
  • RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426

Well, I like the fact that is hard to grasp. (PC games should be more complex than others)

I find the loot system much more interesting than D3, I work for gear rather than buy it.

And on my system with a gtx 680 it looks nicer than D3 on max setting to me. Maybe its the art style and the attention to detail but it looks better to me.

The huge build options are what push it over the edge in my opinion.

I am still on rout to max level but so far I am impressed.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• YohanuYohanu Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by Swedish_Chef

D3 has better combat, better graphics, better sound, and a superior skill system.

While I feel D3 is by far the superior game, PoE is free, and when you consider that (as far as I know) it's the first game most people at GGG have made it's a solid effort. Amateurish, but solid.

I can understand your points regarding Combat, Graphics and Sound, but Skill system? Diablo 3 completely streamlined it and removed all the variation and fun you had in Diablo 2. Hell, you don't even assign attribute points anymore. There is no room for unique builds or unconventional playstyles at all.

I played Diablo 3 for about 100 hours and i got my moneys worth, no doubt. However, i've sunk well over 500 hours into Path Of Exile, and i still haven't lost interest, simply because of build variation (i have 11 characters which all play completely differently from eachother, all requiring very personal gear, in some cases uniques).

My conclusion is that Diablo 3 has the polish, whereas Path of Exile has the substance.

• rpg-maniacrpg-maniac Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Anything is better than D3 because this game is trash & belong to garbage bin, PoE is the best ARPG currently by far as long u r not a casual player & have creativity & imagination & want to create your own cls & customize your char in any way u want PoE offers exactly that hundreds of skills to choose from & unlimited combinations this is truly a game for ppl who love to experiment & try all sorts of things.
  • MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Path of exile is good for a free game, I play it as well. However to say it is WAY better than Diablo 3 is pushing it.

Path of Exile has quite a few problems of its own, some kind of game breaking.

Botting/Multiboxing is to easy. The economy for your average player will be impossible to grasp in its entirety. Then to top it off you have a death penalty when coupled with desync and crash/dc's ( its absolutely terrible in this game right now ) leading you to smash your face against your desk repeatedly.

As for the graphics.. well Diablo 3 is far superior in that department. PoE is alright if you like the I can't see wtf I'm killing half the time graphics. They are different styles, PoE the older gritty look and D3 with the stylized "Modern" look.

PoE is great to pick up and try if you like the old styled dungeon crawl. Personally I'm hoping RoS will do for D3 what LoD did for D2.

I think PoE is a good game whether for an F2A or a B2P. I hardly played a better ARPG and I have tried a lot of them since it is one of my favorite genres. PoE might lack some polish and bling but its game systems and mechanics are fantastic. It does not have any really serious design flaws that are game-breaking, unlike D3 for me. There are aspects to D3 that are extremely fun, and there are aspects that are extremely unfun.

I have been seeing some pretty negative criticism of RoS lately. I am waiting for its release too and hoping it will be good enough for me to want to buy it, but I am not preordering it just yet. I am not convinced as of right now that RoS will be LoD number 2. I hope it will be, but as of right now it seems doubtful, so will wait and see what people say about it after it is released.

Originally posted by ThomasN7

This is pretty much how I feel overall, except that I really, really dislike all of the monster CC (walls, jailor, vortex, especially). This is one of the aspects of D3 I find the most unfun, especially since there is very little you can do to counter it other than run away especially at higher levels of difficulty. There isn't anything quite like this in the older Diablo games or in PoE and quite frankly I don't miss it.

Originally posted by Yohanu

Originally posted by Swedish_Chef

I can understand your points regarding Combat, Graphics and Sound, but Skill system? Diablo 3 completely streamlined it and removed all the variation and fun you had in Diablo 2. Hell, you don't even assign attribute points anymore. There is no room for unique builds or unconventional playstyles at all.

I played Diablo 3 for about 100 hours and i got my moneys worth, no doubt. However, i've sunk well over 500 hours into Path Of Exile, and i still haven't lost interest, simply because of build variation (i have 11 characters which all play completely differently from eachother, all requiring very personal gear, in some cases uniques).

My conclusion is that Diablo 3 has the polish, whereas Path of Exile has the substance.

I completely and totally agree with this post. And even so, D3 still has some technical issues despite its polish that are not too dissimilar to the ones I have encountered in PoE. They are just slightly more frequent in PoE.

Overall, I like both, but I have to say that PoE right now is in my opinion the best ARPG to come out of the 2012/2013 crop all round. I will gripe though that D3 should be much, much better considering who is behind it and the production values they have at their disposal. That PoE can be as good as it is and be made by an indie dev really says something, namely "Blizzard get your asses together". I hope they do because us gamers can only benefit.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

I decided to update this a bit since RoS' release. My feelings have changed quite a bit with respect to what I said originally about D3. It has vastly improved, even before RoS with the Loot 2.0 patch. I am glad that Blizzard listened to its playerbase and the expansion delivered on its promises. I noticed that a few ideas from PoE crept into the expansion, such as importance of crafting and shrines that do damage, you know, things that did not exist in Diablo games  prior to PoE.

I have not played the PoE expansion yet but I do plan to get back into PoE. I still think that it is the best ARPG to have come out of the 2012/2013 crop, but with RoS, D3 unseats PoE as the best ARPG for me. I won't explain why here.

That does not mean that I dislike PoE at all. I really like it despite de-synch issues that have cost me quite a bit of time in lost games.

• ozerinxozerinx Member UncommonPosts: 200
    PoE hands down is a better game minus the desync and if you are a hardcore player you take into account that everyone else has desync so man up and deal with it instead of complaining like a whuss. 
  • oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by Redcor

Well, I like the fact that is hard to grasp. (PC games should be more complex than others)

I find the loot system much more interesting than D3, I work for gear rather than buy it.

And on my system with a gtx 680 it looks nicer than D3 on max setting to me. Maybe its the art style and the attention to detail but it looks better to me.

The huge build options are what push it over the edge in my opinion.

I am still on rout to max level but so far I am impressed.

yeah, i left D3 2 months after launch and never looked back......hell, TL2 is even better then D3 imo.

Originally posted by ozerinx
    PoE hands down is a better game minus the desync and if you are a hardcore player you take into account that everyone else has desync so man up and deal with it instead of complaining like a whuss. 

There are aspects to both games I like and dislike. Actually, since RoS, D3 virtually has nothing about it that I dislike. PoE does not have much that I dislike either. It is great to have two ARPGs that are good and are substantially different one from the other.

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096

I bought Diablo 3 when it first came out, and as soon as i saw how they did the leveling, I quit. D2 was all about making cool builds...... Diablo 3 lacked all that. Path of Exile i spent more time then playing diablo 3, just looking over the skill list they have, thinking of different ways i could make my character.

I think blizzard took way to much from world of warcraft, and tried to make a dumbed down version of diablo 2, and it failed badly. I am pretty sure I am not alone here, but making the skill system easier was not what fans wanted in diablo 3. I am glad though path of exile came out and fixed it.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I played this game when it was in beta. I think the elitist hype train for this game is to much. Everyone says this the best hardcore game. I just don't get it. The big thing about this game is the skill tree which also makes it the most exploitable game out there. That massive skill tree and all the top players are all using the top 5 or 6 op builds you can make. Heck they are even posted here and online. I saw utube videos of guys showing how to never take damage ever playing this game from just using the skill tree. One guy was taking on an endgame boss. He was regening more health than the damage the boss was doing to him. He showed his build and posted it for others to use. Which means there's nothing hardcore about this game at all. Its harder when your low lvl is all. But once you learn the builds its a cakewalk. I know this will piss off the hardcore fans of this game but i'm only saying what i saw. I didn't make it up. So with knowing the skill tree and socketing your gear and weapons with regen you can become godlike too. Which i would find boring as heck to play.
  • kosackosac Member UncommonPosts: 206
    i read this before 2 years .. :)
  • The.agGThe.agG Member Posts: 119
    No.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by DMKano

Old thread but even today for me the following holds true

PoE is a good game, but Diablo3 is just overall a much slicker and more polished game.

So no, D3 is still better.

If it wasn't better i doubt that Blizzard would have sold all those millions of copies of the game, shame that it took until the console release for them to 'fix' the PC version though, but yes, imo, its a better game than PoE.. but i bought Torchlight II instead image

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    I don't understand the comparisons to D3. D3 is a shallow game that gets boring after a few weeks. PoE on the other hand is so complex it is impossible to "beat" even if you play it for years. If its netcode wasn't so bad it would be the perfect ARPG.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    I don't understand the comparisons to D3. D3 is a shallow game that gets boring after a few weeks. PoE on the other hand is so complex it is impossible to "beat" even if you play it for years. If its netcode wasn't so bad it would be the perfect ARPG.

Well not impossible to beat, but does offer a great deal more incentive to replay due to how the skill system is set up allow for you to try out different combinations of skills.

Path of Exile while initially wasn't greater than D3, I feel with it's continuing evolution will eclipse all current ARPG's, and become the standard ( perhaps not visually though lol ) of ARPGs to come.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

For me Diablo 3 after expansions wins hands down.

Biggest plus for me in PoE is how good it looks in 3D Vision

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by mindw0rk

For me Diablo 3 after expansions wins hands down.

Biggest plus for me in PoE is how good it looks in 3D Vision

^This. D3 after the expansion is better than even D2 now.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Originally posted by Hariken
    I played this game when it was in beta. I think the elitist hype train for this game is to much. Everyone says this the best hardcore game. I just don't get it. The big thing about this game is the skill tree which also makes it the most exploitable game out there. That massive skill tree and all the top players are all using the top 5 or 6 op builds you can make. Heck they are even posted here and online. I saw utube videos of guys showing how to never take damage ever playing this game from just using the skill tree. One guy was taking on an endgame boss. He was regening more health than the damage the boss was doing to him. He showed his build and posted it for others to use. Which means there's nothing hardcore about this game
    You`ve got a point but you also have the option to not look up builds online and to try to figure it out yourself in which case the game is pretty hard to master and very unforgiving because of the difficulty re-speccing
  • iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Originally posted by Hariken
    I played this game when it was in beta. I think the elitist hype train for this game is to much. Everyone says this the best hardcore game. I just don't get it. The big thing about this game is the skill tree which also makes it the most exploitable game out there. That massive skill tree and all the top players are all using the top 5 or 6 op builds you can make. Heck they are even posted here and online. I saw utube videos of guys showing how to never take damage ever playing this game from just using the skill tree. One guy was taking on an endgame boss. He was regening more health than the damage the boss was doing to him. He showed his build and posted it for others to use. Which means there's nothing hardcore about this game at all. Its harder when your low lvl is all. But once you learn the builds its a cakewalk. I know this will piss off the hardcore fans of this game but i'm only saying what i saw. I didn't make it up. So with knowing the skill tree and socketing your gear and weapons with regen you can become godlike too. Which i would find boring as heck to play.

You`ve got a point but you also have the option to not look up builds online and to try to figure it out yourself in which case the game is pretty hard to master and very unforgiving because of the difficulty re-speccing.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Figured this was an old thread haha, I tried PoE again but didn't last long. I like the whole making my own character however with desyncs considered a "feature" by the community and the whole botting/account sharing thing takes any competitiveness out of the ladder.

I still can't enjoy boss fights, still feels like I am fighting regular NPC's with ridiculous mechanics. Only thing PoE has over D3 is being a build simulator.

Blizzard is just taking to long with their patches these days.

The feature they talk about is the ability to instantly quit a game, and is a built in feature that the developers take into consideration when they design enemys.   I dislike this feature also and I think it skews development too much and is one of the reasons I quit this game.