Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The story of a wow player base - but it could apply to many games now

Comments

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

The thing is, it's all based in Korea. You can earn big bucks in Korea playing PC games (esports).

I can see how people can lose perspective when money rules. :)

I like how the guy spoke up about it. Is it that bad in the western world?

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,672
    Originally posted by immodium

The thing is, it's all based in Korea. You can earn big bucks in Korea playing PC games (esports).

I can see how people can lose perspective when money rules. :)

I like how the guy spoke up about it. Is it that bad in the western world?

Not as black and white as that example, which is extreme. But unfortunately there are a growing number of people who would fit that hate brigade description pretty well in the West.

What I could never see happening over here is the kind of general turnaround toward a player to help them out, as described in the article.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

This isnt a Korea issue and this isnt a WoW issue.

There is an ever increasing percentage of MMO players that are dicks.

Just look at the widespread usage of "words" like 'derp' and 'baddies'.  People like to feel superior by insulting others and lack the patience to help others.

The overall MMORPG  community is significantly worse now than it was 10 or even 5 years ago.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,360

well , i was a noob in my 1 mmorpg too (EQ) , after the 1 mmorpg , u learn waaaaaaay faster how things works (

How he didnt know that STR boosted DMG? (str gems) , or hell even crit , STA gems on a dps warrior ? that makes no sense whatsoever....even for a newbie ....in 90 levels he didnt learned anything but still got a warrior to 90?

but yeah im faulty for avoiding "newbies" in endgame content , but just with strangers , i dont mind going to a endgame with a person i know even if his/her 1 time.

Maybe we are all tired of "wiping" or wasting time because some1 didnt bother to learn by the time they hit max lvl

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

not surprising at all for this to happen ... my question is ..

Why is this "outcast warrior" so apologetic? It is just a game ... ok .. he is really bad at it (now how do all the elitists here who claim wow is "dumb down" and "easymode" feel now?), but did he really apologize to a bunch of essentially elitist a-h**les?

There are other games, and community he can join .... wow obviously is not the only game in-town.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

There are other games, and community he can join .... wow obviously is not the only game in-town.

this is NOT a WoW issue.  this happens in most games.

Originally posted by syriinx

this is NOT a WoW issue.  this happens in most games.

yes, but i doubt he is bad at all games. And even if so, he can always find a social guild.

• darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581

One thing I hate about this world that I live in with the rest of you people is bullying, which I sometimes wish was never born but with the increasing population of douchebags, assholes, and jerks that are not being punished enough or overlooked by the GM's, it's not surprising there is so much people who treat others like shit over the lack of knowledge of doing better or becoming stronger, knowing the game. We are all newbies once, we all started to the very low, not knowing how to play the game well, where we all end up playing the game just to have fun, and not worry about requirements and dps competition, and other bullshit community rules like that.

People these days need to learn how to have a heart, you see someone who is underpowered, give him the head up of what he is doing wrong but not in a negative way to make him feel unwelcome... I want less people saying "omg, you fucking stupid dumb motherfucker, WHY DID YOU NOT DODGE THAT BLOW! WHY THE FUCK! DID YOU NOT DODGE YOU STUPID PIECE OF SHIT!", and more people saying "hey, you need to dodge that blow, it will one-shot you, try to stay alive and less about DPS Racing each other".

We the people need to learn to throw away our rude attitude towards people and be kind enough to help out other people in times of need.

Originally posted by darkedone02

We the people need to learn to throw away our rude attitude towards people and be kind enough to help out other people in times of need.

Why?

The internet is full of mean people .. sure. Shouldn't games be where they can let of steam, as opposed to do it in real life?

And it is a level playing field. No one forces you to put up with another one. Hit the quit group button when you don't like someone. Play another game if this one gives you grief, or put everyone give you grief on ignore.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Why?

The internet is full of mean people .. sure. Shouldn't games be where they can let of steam, as opposed to do it in real life?

Absolutely not.   There's still people behind those "toons".

If they want to let off steam they can go to a gym or participate in some sort of physical activity.

Allowing people to be douchebags because they can be /blisted or ignored, is still allowing people to be douchebags.  They have to learn as some point and allowing them to get away with stuff isn't going to help anyone.

• darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581
    Originally posted by Alders

Why?

If they want to let off steam they can go to a gym or participate in some sort of physical activity.

Allowing people to be douchebags because they can be /blisted or ignored, is still allowing people to be douchebags.  They have to learn as some point and allowing them to get away with stuff isn't going to help anyone.

very true

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Alders

Why?

This. 

Plus, nariusseldon's question assumes there is some actual quantitative amount of pent up rage that must be released by some means or another, when that's really not the case at all.  There are several ways to deal with feelings of anger/frustration/rage/whatever, and none of the healthy ones involve 'letting off the steam' on other human beings, behind a computer screen or otherwise.  The metaphorical steam doesn't have to be let off on anyone.  

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

Or people could just grow up and not act like a-holes to other people either online or offline. Decent people don't need to "let off steam by treating others like crap." and just because a lot of people act like douchebags on the internet and it's hard to stop them doesn't make it acceptable or excusable behavior. I liken it to people who think its perfectly fine to pirate all their media "because everyone else is doing it and I won't get in trouble." Pretty piss-poor excuse for doing something you know is wrong.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785

Old story...

Good for them, they got their lessons. Bad for western players - you want to help and teach them, they will just ignore you or leave raid cursing and swearing at you - "You think I'm a retard so you need to teach me how to play? - No, I don't, but I ask you why we wiped? - /ignore". Here and there popups very, very, very few newbies with a lot of questions willing to learn about gameplay. Those are really nice people, I like more to play with them, other than some "pro" or "elitist". They don't took game too seriously, they only play for fun. Sooner or later, they are already "pro", they starting doing even heroics raids. At least, after every wipe you can hear only laugh and everyone have fun, no insulting each other or blaming someone for wipe. No matter you kill boss this week or month later, it's pleasure to have people like them. But... problem is, because of real noobs and idiots from begging of this post, you can't find anymore normal people. They just stalk people equal to them, they can prove that they are "better" than them, then show starts: "you fking moron, idiot, jerk, retard, l2p, noob, asshole...". In the end, normal ones quit game because of toxic idiots and you get community full of retards which think they know everything (by watching yt videos, yeah, right).

It's from Wow, but sadly, we got those cases in more and more games...

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Indeed, an old thread recently bumped.  Regardless of whether it is truth or fiction, an idea doesn't resonate like that unless there is some underying truth or fear its tapping into.

I've never been able to get into raiding (or formal grouping of any kind) personally.  I like to buid my characters to roleplay first and "win" second and wander down my own path.   That mentality just doesn't lend itself to boss mechanics that focus on squeezing every ounce of dps out of a ruleset or interdependance of a team.  For the sake of the sanity of my fellow players (and my own sense of fun), I tend to just avoid formal grouping.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Skuall
    STA gems on a dps warrior ? that makes no sense whatsoever....even for a newbie
    For a normal non mmo individual, that would actually make some sense. adding a bit of health to your character seems like a very logical step in traditional rpg's. A person may not comprehend that you "need" to build a dps character like an "arrow" in wow.

....in 90 levels he didnt learned anything but still got a warrior to 90?

Well, that's what people cried for, and now that's what they got. Easy non group based progression anyone can do. jokes on them.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development