Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Considering the market is GW2 worth it?

Comments

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Originally posted by Mantees

Hi everybody. I have read really good things about GW2 and I'm considering buying it. But then my question is: considering all the great f2p mmmorpgs around, like Tera, Rift and others, is Gw2 really so much better that it is worth to buy it? And if yes, what makes it so?

This game is worth buying, but I don't play it anymore.   I considered it a pretty fun single player / multiplayer experience for a couple months.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Depends on your playstyle...I'd say Ender4 said it best and some other people.

If you played games  like WoW and can't live without trinity, raids, and some gear to grind for to then grind for some more gear to then do the same for endgame, don't try GW2. Also grinding for gear that is stronger isn't bad as GW2 has you grind for cooler looks and now Ascendent weapons are that type of rare gear you'd like to work for, then it's about having fun like all MMORPGs do.

Comments you should stay from OP is the single player comment, those make no sense, only by the people who go out their way to be that ignorant, the social aspect is within the player, GW2 doesn't force you to be something you are not, if you are not social and would like to be more social you would have to come to a decision on whether you want to be social or not then do it. If you want to fight in a group then you should decide on that, when it comes to being social it's always the player never the game. This actually goes for any MMORPG, social people and those who like playing with others never will call an MMORPG a single player game because they are the ones that make that experience social and "MMORPG" like.

Umm me being  GW2 fan, well of course I'd tell you to buy GW2, but then again for future reference and to avoid future drama, I would want you to research yourself, keep note of your play style, and understand that GW2 is different from majority of the MMORPGs out to date, not saying it'd be better for you, but it is different, so this is your warning, do not go playing then act bummed out because there are no 40 man raids or because you can't keep getting stronger gear, if you decide to ignore all this then so be it but to then turn around creating a complaint post I'm just going to say "You've been warned and you still insisted on b/sing." 

Anyway haters, fans, and observers...cheers image

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    If you want an extremely casual game then this is the game for you. It is regularly updated and is quite fun for a diversion. The extent of enjoyment you will get out of the updates varies as they are small in scale and opinions vary widely as to the depth of the content. It does lack tangible progression and is not a "group" oriented game. If you are looking for that kind of content then I would stay away. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

Definitely.

WoW is old, boring and looks like crap. Tera, SWTOR, Rift, AION, Secret World are all dead.

GW2 is by far the best MMO out there right now. It oozes quality and the combat makes even WoW feel incredibly dull and skilless. After playing with dodge and the casting on the move, and the responsiveness of GW2, it's pretty much a synch.

I do miss not having DPS meters, but for all the rest being so much better, who cares really. That's pretty much the only thing I'd add to GW2, dps meters.

Raids are coming and they won't be the Simon-says dance borefest WoW raids are these days.

Also the graphics pretty much make every other MMO look like crap.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

Personally I think it's a really poor game and the direction Arena Net are taking will only make it worse, however, the time it takes to get to 80 will make your purchase feel worthwhile even if you don't stick to it any further, with the upside that you can drop back in at a later date.

My only concern would be how difficult the scripted events are in the lesser populated zones.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

I guess it depends on your income level.  It was worth it for me, even though I ultimately decided that the game is a shallow train wreck wrapped up in nice packaging.  I got probably a good 40 hours of play time with it, which for a $50 price tag, isn't too bad.

Worse-case scenario is to just buy it assuming you'll 10-20 hours out of it, like you would any other AAA action type game.  

You make me like charity

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

I didn't play it nearly as long as I had hoped.  I enjoyed the leveling process, though not nearly as much as SWTOR, but once at end game I quickly got bored.  I didn't like the non-trinity instances, I didn't like the lack of group finders and I didn't like the fact that you could get almost BiS gear from the trading post.

WvWvW was just a big zergfest and didn't hold my interest.

If they have a free trial I'd definitely say give it a shot and decide based on that.  But with the high quality F2P MMO's out there it's hard for me to suggest buying GW2 for more than $20.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Having recently started TSW it shames me how awful the GW2 personal stories are in comparison. The personal stories completely failed, the grouping completely failed, the dynamic events are mediocre at best and the dungeons are a complete failure. I was a big GW2 fan at one point but to be honest it is just another cruddy MMORPG at this point.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Originally posted by Ender4

Having recently started TSW it shames me how awful the GW2 personal stories are in comparison. The personal stories completely failed, the grouping completely failed, the dynamic events are mediocre at best and the dungeons are a complete failure. I was a big GW2 fan at one point but to be honest it is just another cruddy MMORPG at this point.

Well, just to chip in my 2 cents.  I liked the GW2 personal story: it tells the lore and gets the job done.  Not amazing, but I wouldn't say poor either.

I like GW2 but am waiting on more variety in weapon skill builds.  That is the biggest downfall, IMO.  Also, supposedly they said they are adding new weapon skills before the end of the year.  We shall see.

To be fair I should add that it is an extremely high quality cruddy MMORPG. That alone puts it ahead of most of the games to be released in the past 5 years.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

If you're a casual player then you can't beat GW2 with anything else out there. It's a game where you can log in for a couple of hours and achieve something. No need to get on at that hour, have grinded for this and that, learned the drill of this particular raid and hope something useful drops and you have gathered enough DKP to get it and have nobody steal it from you.

There is no trinity either, so no LF tank, LF healer, it's about as casual and solo-friendly as you can get. No clearly defined class rolers might not be to your liking, or it might. No forced grouping either, well it's automatic really. If you want a second job as your MMO then go for WoW or RIFT or something.

The PvE and personal story rely on you being a good guy, so it's a bit restrictive if you live to annoy the crap out of others. There is no open world PvP, so no ganking others while they PvE.

The combat is a bit more actiony than other MMO's, but it's still mainly a tab-target MMO, nowhere near the headshot-action from an FPS. If you've got crappy gear in WvW you'll get owned one on one, no reasonal amount of skill difference will make up for that.

In GW2 you can enjoy sPvP without any grind at all, and maybe some WvW without all that much of a grind (better PvE to level to 80 and grab at least an exotic set though, even if you're supposed to be able to level 80 in WvW alone).

It's a quality game, if you like the look, check out some videos for that. It might take some getting used to, it's different, but I still play it after more than a year. It's more than enough for me to get my fix, a few hours of relatively stress-free gameplay after work.

imageimage
  • JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347
    GW2 has all the makings of a wonderful mmo , but it has not roles so i find is rather boaring

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

If you enjoy lore / story that makes sense than GW2 is not for you.

The personal story in GW2 just makes zero sense in many places and some don't even get referenced by 'you' later on.

There are more than one instance where you are shouting 'WHY IS MY TOON NOT REMEMBERING?!'

Gameplay wise, it is a solid game with lots of people still playing. At $60 (recently there's been multiple sales of 25-50% off) you can do worse.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Mantees

Hi everybody. I have read really good things about GW2 and I'm considering buying it. But then my question is: considering all the great f2p mmmorpgs around, like Tera, Rift and others, is Gw2 really so much better that it is worth to buy it? And if yes, what makes it so?

the game is worth it if you play it just for fun and you don't feel the need to be forced to login every day because you are expected to raid 90% of your spare time to satisfy your guild leader's gear addiction.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• StarS0ftStarS0ft Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Originally posted by thark
    Originally posted by Ender4

You can do the research on features etc yourself because that is a very personal thing.

The one thing that stands out in GW2 compared to all those other titles you talked about is overall production quality. The pacing of combat, the movement, the animations etc are just so much better in WoW and GW2 than in a game like AION or Tera or Rift etc. That doesn't mean you'll like the game better mind you but once you get used to a game that does it 'right' it is hard to play a sluggish game like a Rift anymore.

Odd,,,When I played GW2 I thought it was Gw2 that was the "sluggish" and a poorly animated game, I felt tottally diconnected to the World while playing it..

So I guess It depends on whos playing..I also thought the sk story in the begiinner areas was way to childish for me to get any kind of feeling for it..

For me GW2 gave the opposite feeling of low production quality

Are you crazy? you compared worst animated ugly-looking game-Rift with GW2 and talk about quality? LOL

• StarS0ftStarS0ft Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Originally posted by Greyhooff

Also the GW2 graphics pretty much make every other MMO look like crap.

This.

• ganntakganntak Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Well for the price you ll get a good game,stunning graphics and constant updates. To me its more like a single player arcade kinda pick up n play game not something that has bought any long term plans for myself or ex guildies. Very good fun but imo GW1 was just better,it aged well and had something the others didnt today . If your into end game raiding etc this wont be for you but if you want a really nice stress free pick up n play game then for what £30 you really cant go wrong. Sadly because of the nature of the game guilds dont have the stability of some of the older mmo's and i think the guild missions came along too late. They really should of launched with the game as there was nothing in the game that promoted guild play or interaction other than the wvw and not everyone is into pvp. 
  • MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Nadia

[...] my advice is to wait for another GW2 trial period to decide for yourself

Pretty much this.

If you're on the fence, play Rift while you wait for another GW2 trial to come around -- with the holidays approaching there's bound to be some offer or other. Rift is a decent game, if sadly near fatally damaged by some glaring weak spots and a lot of bad decisions by Trion.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Originally posted by StarS0ft

Are you crazy? you compared worst animated ugly-looking game-Rift with GW2 and talk about quality? LOL

Rift is not an ugly looking game. It actually has some of the nicest landscapes I've seen outside of modded up Skyrim or The Witcher 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyqTaE3mMG4

Guild Wars 2 has pretty graphics too but it is just BS to call Rift ugly.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by iridescence
    Originally posted by StarS0ft

Rift is not an ugly looking game. It actually has some of the nicest landscapes I've seen outside of modded up Skyrim or The Witcher 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyqTaE3mMG4

Guild Wars 2 has pretty graphics too but it is just BS to call Rift ugly.

Back in the days when I played RIFT I found it rather good looking too, but if that video is the best RIFT has to offer, then it's probably simply true that GW2 makes all the rest look like crap. I can't believe I used to think RIFT looked pretty good. GW2 looks so much better, just looking at that video you linked makes my eyes hurt.

imageimage

Rift is an ugly game while you actually play it. When you zoom out at a normal play level the characters and mobs do look very ugly. Then you see a rift in the distance and you are like wow! Rift has decent graphics but they did less with more and were left with a pretty ugly looking game while you play it.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Originally posted by Nadia

it's hard to answer without knowing your playstyle

I enjoy GW2 but my advice is to wait for another GW2 trial period to decide for yourself

great answer.

op   for myself i wish i had not purchased it.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Without trying the game and without doing any homework,i would say the OP is not really interested.I personally tried the game and did not like it.

just because i don't like it does not mean others can't but reading into the OP i can say this would most likely be a good choice but perhaps EQ2 is a better one because you can play it totally free.

Personally i feel it comes down to weather or not you feel your time is valuable,i won't hang out in a game just to pass time or join the crowd,i NEED to really like the game.For myself my time is MUCH more valuable than any market value or cost of sub fee or cost of game,you can always recoup your money spent but never time lost.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

Well I guess I should've said that I find Rift pretty when I played it. I'm not one to micro-analyze polygon count and things like that just that I find Rift a very visually pleasing game to be in on the whole (granted most of my time playing it was when it first came out a couple of years ago.) I really like Rift's art style and find GW2's artstyle a lot more generic and boring  in many places, although it has a couple of zones I really love like Divinity's Reach and the Sylvari starting zone. 

Hell, I still find a lot of areas in LOTRO very pretty to look at and that is definitely an old game graphically now but it has a very nice art style. :)

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

in my personal opinion GW2 is worth every penny over the F2P mmos you mention on your OP. However, if you like the more generic traditional playstyle then you will probably be better off playing those F2P. GW2 is really good, but dont go in there expecting just another option to the same WoW-like geargrind gameplay.

What makes it so worth the box price? everything in it. But GW2 is not for threadmill and holy trinity fans.