Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] WildStar: Choose Your Weapon

2»

Comments

• DwarfuriousDwarfurious Member UncommonPosts: 25
    This sounds like the opposite of 'choose your weapon', since every class is locked to one kind of weapon. You choose your class, thats it. If each class had a SELECTION of weapons then it would be something but im tired of hearing the same line from games who couldnt be farther from it.
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Talmien

Can't say I'm happy about having 3 different sets of gear for different aspects of the game. I'm the kinda guy who likes to design his character one way and play that way throughout all aspects of the game. And having to collect 3 different sets of gear to be able to enjoy it all get anoying, and painful to manage. 

Being myself altholic I agree fully with you. :-) I have no problem with classes that are designed from scratch to have multiple roles (giving up usually being top in each of this areas which is again normal) but never liked concept every alt being able to be everything.

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    How jaded some gamers are these days. Constantly finding sillier things to complain about with every new game.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

You can of course do everything and more with multiple weapon choices,i will be the skeptic and determine that their reason of one type weapon per class is for another reason.It is to save on animation,that added effort that goes into making characters fun to play.Carbine talks of higher end graphics and the need to see exciting combat animations yet they are making a low poly game,kind of going against themselves there.

Maybe i misunderstand them,perhaps you can wield any weapon but only one is a signature weapon?

Even still,it comes down to depth and effort again as always,signature weapons have almost no bearing IF there is no depth in the system.Example if your weapon is a cleaving weapon,it should have added abilities versus creatures weak to cleaving  but be not so effective versus other type mobs.That is why you need versatility to make it the best and most fun combat/character combination.

FFXi as usual still leads after all these years for depth in systems,not only your type of weapon can matter but also your element factor and Renkai,day even to lesser extent moon phases and day/night.

You should have a lot of choice to allow for speedier combat or stats that aid avoidance or perhaps accuracy,again it creates a fun design to player choices for combat.In FFXI you could use accuracy food then go everything else on damage,or go attack food and utilize some accuracy gear,it just gives more versatility to the whole system.

Bottom line is if you simplify it all,it might please some but i doubt it would please many as most people are looking for versatility and lots of choice.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by Maelzrael
    How jaded some gamers are these days. Constantly finding sillier things to complain about with every new game.

Fair point, but...Let's also discuss how developers are lazy and full of excuses these days. Isn't it sad that modern MMO's are launching with less and less options for players to chose from, while they should be giving players more. Something was already done 10 years ago, but somehow, it's not possible anymore?

• TolrocTolroc Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Originally posted by Psistorm

I think the general idea is sound, and frankly it serves to solve a few issues. Granted, not everyone is going to see it like that, but this is what I think:

- they made it look like solo/small group gear is a sort of base gear setup, with X amount of stats. raid gear would be X + raid stats, and pvp would be X + pvp stats. This implies that not only will raid/pvp gear not be interchangeable, but neither raid nor pvp gear will dominate the small group/open world etc gear.

- the lack of raid gear dominance is important. because unlike most other themeparks, where ad the endgame you go from solo to dungeon to raid, you have more progression paths. So you don't HAVE to run that raid if you want an upgrade. But instead you are able to refine your gear setup doing the content you actually enjoy.

- lack of raid dominance also makes story and solo content more meaningful, because you will get something relevant out of it, namely gear for said content. if WoW did solo story content after their first tier of raids, people would outgear it, and I would bet you a lot people would never even bother with it, because ew solo content, it only drops weaksauce pve gear and is too easy.

- limiting the power creep. this also is a big potential. because you don't have to have a daily/dungeon progression first, only to build into a raid progression. instead, you can get people into raids faster, thus letting them do what they want, and you don't have this linear progression of daily -> dungeon -> tier 1 -> tier2 -> next expansion. instead, you deal with a potentially shallower gearing curve, thus lessening that awkward feel of "I'm in tier xyz raid gear, and this quest green just replaced my legendary.." whilst also avoiding the effect where enemies quadruple in hitpoints from lvl 50 to 51 etc, like many other games do. It won't eliminate it, but I think it can lessen the effect, because now not only raiders progress in gear, but you allow everyone to progress, just in specialized ways.

- some people say this will lead to chaos. But from the current impression I've got, I have to say that Carbine are a bunch of smart cookies. I wouldn't put it past them to give us a gear manager similar to what FF14 does. Which frankly, is hands down the best gear management I've seen in my personal MMO history. the armory chest is wonderful. it could use some quality of life stuff, but that aside, just lovely. So if we get something like that for wildstar, then honestly, managing 3-6 gear sets really won't actually be all that hard.

- stat stick talk. personally, i don't mind. most games really dont give many meaningful choices, and staff versus wand + offhand or something like bow vs crossbow really is only cosmetic. imho thanks to their stylized art style, not only do the races have character, but the classes are gunning for the same. so having one set of weapons just creates a stronger impact on what the class is about. think tf2 here, every class had a signature weapon in the beginning, and a personality. this same effect happens in wildstar, at least in my eyes. I'm finding myself attracted a lot to the characters and classes, simply because compared to other games, they just have more character and personality. they have a distinct feel that they convey.

- lastly before i forget. the whole idea of raid-gear pride. I agree that raids are hard, i dabbled in them a bit. they damn well should be, and wildstar is again aiming to please here and make raids fiendishly difficult. (anyone who says telegraphs = easymode, theres the door. just because you can see the read doesnt mean the red won't hunt you down and make you suffer :D). but that said, ultimately you dont get the strongest gear in the game necessarily. but what you do get is two things. strong /raid gear/, meaning stuff that helps you with - surprise - the content you enjoy playing, and on the other hand, gear that looks badass. imho, its not about pure stats. if someone sees your shiny, complete T1 raid set, they will know that you worked hard for it. and imho THAT feeling beats raw power. heck it even puts you a bit more on par with open world players and you actually get to play WITH them arther than just faceroll your way through the open world event stuff and leave the "lesser mortals" in the dust.

- ok one last thing. its 4am and im being creative. content diversity. now that raid gear isnt the OP end all, be all of gear, you actually can design for the soloers/small group people. I really enjoyed raiding in wow, but honestly, thats all i got to do. i farmed my dailies, and then that was literally done with. then i got my pre-raid set complete, and i raided. once a week. i also farmed mats to make raid pots. and thats /it/. the entirety that there as to do. I actually wouldve really liked meaningful content in the open world or on small groups that challenged me, and that gave me cool gear. and guess what, in wildstar I can refine my solo gear. I would imagine a ton of people actually enjoy the idea, soloing or doing small group stuff, and tweaking their gear, while not having to stand in the shadow of someone who got carried through a 20-man and got two purples out of it. it just opens up the late/end game way more, and more importantly, it lets people enjoy the content they want, and carbine design content for enthusiasts. solo content/dungeons for people who really love that experience, and raids for people who love to raid for the experience of it, not just smash their face into it because of lolepics

Very good post!

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Originally posted by DeniZg
    Originally posted by Maelzrael

Fair point, but...Let's also discuss how developers are lazy and full of excuses these days. Isn't it sad that modern MMO's are launching with less and less options for players to chose from, while they should be giving players more. Something was already done 10 years ago, but somehow, it's not possible anymore?

Its partially the fault of copy rights. Really, if copy rights get in the way of progress, then whats the point to the benefit of the whole?

Everything has a cost from the manufacturing perspective towards society. These costs are to ensure a long and better future. They cut into the costs of the manufacturerer. 

However, a copy right just gives a right for people to tax others more than they should. Its detremental to improving the gaming industry.

Sure certain respect and decorum should be upheld, but not to the point that people start from ground zero everytime to avoid incuring large costs due to copy rights.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• Homura235Homura235 Member UncommonPosts: 167
    I don't mind only having 1 weapon per character, as long as there is diverse character customization and different weapon looks or "skins," to choose from. What's annoying is every other character looking like yours. GW2 has done a good job of making characters and weapons look unique, because there are so many to choose from. I often walk around the capital city just looking at other characters and their weapons.
  • derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Can't wait to try spellslinger. love the dual pistols.

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• SevalaSevala Member UncommonPosts: 220

Class based weapons = fail, for a game that was suppose to have customization this is starting to sound worse and worse with the more information they release.

Why is it so hard for new age MMOs to let go of dumb preconceptions and just let players do what they want with what gear they want regardless of outcome instead of trying to turn everyone into cookie cutter clones. The weapons thing is dumb, and just the use of the word "trinity" makes me throw up in mouth now.

~I am Many~