Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Battlefield 4: 900p on PS4, 720p on XBOX One with less features!

Comments

• Kaelaan21Kaelaan21 Member UncommonPosts: 349
    Originally posted by Tissmogi
    Originally posted by Kaelaan21

1) On some 120Hz/240Hz HDMI televisions, 900p is not going to interpolate the pixels the same way that 720p does. Since most users are using either 720p, 1080i, 1080p  at the moment, it may make for some odd results on televisions older than 2 years (televisions fault).

Both consoles upscale internally so you get a 1080p output. No interpolation needed.

2) Typically, most game companies will pack the textures for the console of the lowest common denominator. Does anyone know if the textures are stored at a quality designed for 720p or did they scale the textures for each console individually? If they are designed for 720p, yes, there will be an advantage with the PS4 - especially with targets in a distance, but not as much of a jump in quality that some people would expect.

Textures are always stored in a format that includes the highest resolution and sized down versions which is called mip mapping (creating multiple textrues of smaller sizes) . The Engine will use appropriate textures for the resolution/distance as needed.

Example Texture:

I think the only reason why I still lean a little more towards the xbox, is that I can't stand the online experience in the PS3 and many games take much, much longer to load and start on the PS3. If the experience is smoother on the PS4 and more intuitive, then I will probably start moving more towards the PS4. Especially since Microsoft just closed down the Xbox Live family plan. Now, instead of $99/year for me and my two kids it will cost $117/year and I don't have a spare 4th account.

You get a lot more bang for the buck on PSN. Have you seen the games they give away for free every year? It's a top seller lineup and can not even be compared to the crap that you get with XBL. I am sure the PS4 will be a lot smoother than the PS3.

Thanks for the info. I knew texture scaling to be this way for PC games, but I wasn't sure for the consoles.

Yes, I have the PSN plus account as well (just for me though). However, Xbox Live started releasing some decent games including block buster titles for free every 2 weeks starting a few months back.

I think at this moment, it's going to be a wait and see how the dashboard vs. bar experience will be. One of my major pet peaves with the PS3 is that it can take over a minute to start and I think a lot of that has to do with the way how the game is not always fully installed on the hard drive. Some of the PS3 games forces itself to install. These tend to start up quickly for me.

The good news is that I begin to prefer the PS4 over the Xbox, I don't have to move an entire game collection over. I'm nearly finished with my current collection and have been trading them in for games that can be traded up for only $10 at Gamestop.

• youngkgyoungkg Member UncommonPosts: 357

PS4 has FXAA.

Sony always wins on paper but never executes...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XqWRACk2zY

"the PS4 offers a superior experience on several fronts"...You have clearly  never used PSN before or have no idea on just how far superior XBL is in comparrison.

PS3 on paper was also a stronger machine that failed to out perform the 360. Just gonna have to wait and see if PS4 actually delivers this time around and as a 360 and ps3 owner i kinda doubt it will.

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Originally posted by muffins89
    im buying xbox cause it's an American company. 

That's hardcore!

• TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286

lol funny microsoft is not  usa anymore its made in mexico and mostly non usa now so for you to think your buying usa  hahaha your not

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Originally posted by Tatercake

lol funny microsoft is not  usa anymore its made in mexico and mostly non usa now so for you to think your buying usa  hahaha your not

They call that out sourcing. It makes a larger profit by using cheaper labor, and paying less for everything else as well or not paying by leasing/using existing equipment they do not have to own.

But the profits go to the same place, its just that instead of hiring more Americans to do the job, some corners are cut.

Its simple, and what you are saying is basically a lie.

I digress, maybe its hypocritical to use cheaper labor out of the US?

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

What really strikes me is that neither system is running at 1080p...

Glad to be a PC gamer.

You make me like charity

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Not only the labor is cheaper...

The components are cheaper...

http://makezine.com/2013/03/26/made-in-china-the-case-for-and-against/

My problem is that in as an engineer, I can't tell you the number of times I've replaced a "new" board and discovered that the parts used to make the board were actually used previously on completely different systems and then desoldered and soldered as new onto this board.  It isn't new.  In fact, I'd bet they took a "trash" board, unsoldered the part, ohm'd it out, and soldered it in.

That isn't new.  That's refurbished at best.  But it's also very untruthful.  If you can't be honest in that, then you can't be trusted for bigger things like parts pricing and quality control.

EDIT:  This wasn't the exact article I was looking for but it does cover what I'm saying: http://spectrum.ieee.org/semiconductors/processors/the-hidden-dangers-of-chopshop-electronics

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by youngkg

PS4 has FXAA.

Sony always wins on paper but never executes...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XqWRACk2zY

I think the PS4 looks a lot better on that video.  The XBox looks like they just jacked the contrast up a bit, and you lose a lot of detail.  Both look pretty bad though.

You make me like charity

• Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430

When is the actual release date for the Playstation 4 and XBox One? When can I in the good ole' USA get my hands on one of these machines?

I play games on both my PC and PS3. Some games are just easier and better to play on each machine. RPG's and such are generally on my PC along with MMO's. Sports games and stuff like that are on my PS3. It's just way easier to invite my friend over and play some NHL Hockey on my playstation on my big screen HD TV in the living room. For in depth and solo games I use my PC more.

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493
    Originally posted by muffins89
    im buying xbox cause it's an American company. 

Yeah I guess everyone already pointed out the fault in this logic.

One of the most uninformed statements I have read in ANY forum. =(

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Tygranir

I love how people still defend the XBox when it is a clearly inferior piece of harware for a higher price tag.

I wonder if they are really excited for the few exclusives that the XBox has or are just truly fanboys.

I agree, it's black and white, the XBOX B720 is an inferior machine no matter how the die hard's want to gloss it over. It reminds me of the die hard iphone followers.

I've always owned a PS and will continue to when the PS4 arrives in the post.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by NightBandit
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    PC 1080p :)

+1 let the console fight it out for whatever place they want...As hard as they try console will never replace the PC end of.

Who said it would replace a PC?

I have a top end PC and i will have the best console on the market, some of us actually play both console and PC games.

• drgrandrgran Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    Originally posted by NightBandit
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    PC 1080p :)

+1 let the console fight it out for whatever place they want...As hard as they try console will never replace the PC end of.

Who said it would replace a PC?

I have a top end PC and i will have the best console on the market, some of us actually play both console and PC games.

agree'd

I never got the idea to even compare.  

If good games out  on the ps4 ill get it. if good games come out on the xbone Ill get it. PC well always have one so that isn't the issue. 

Right now im waiting on which does better and has the better line up so i can decide the one i want to buy first or even if i get the other. 

Games are games no matter what platform . 

ASUS G74sx
    i7 quad core
    16gb ddr3 ram
    3gb ram Nvidia 560M
    240GB SSD & 750GB

• DrevarDrevar Member UncommonPosts: 177

As a non-console user I find the whole "your console sucks, mine rules!" argument hilarious considering they both use CPU/GPUs from the same company: AMD.

"If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it."
    -Luke McKinney, The 7 Biggest Dick Moves in the History of Online Gaming

"In the end, SWG may have been more potential and promise than fulfilled expectation. But I'd rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."
    -Raph Koster

• MMOManiacsMMOManiacs Member UncommonPosts: 191

It looks like the Microsoft bullshit about "balanced systems" and cloud computing is finally falling apart and we see the real difference with a 3rd Party Title. How can anyone even think about buying a XBOX this generation?

"Perhaps the biggest takeaway is that, in this near-finalised state, the PS4 offers a superior experience on several fronts. The resolution is higher at 1600x900, as compared to the tried and tested 1280x720 on Xbox One, suffering as it does for more visible aliasing artefacts. Visually, the PS4 has a marked advantage with ambient occlusion effects too, which simply isn't matched on Microsoft's platform with the build we played." (Eurogamer)

PS4 version rendering 56% more pixels vs Xbox One,900p vs 720p 
    PS4 has anti-aliasing, missing on Xbox One
    PS4 has HBAO ambient occlusion, missing on Xbox One
    PS4 has motion blur in multiplayer, missing on Xbox One
    PS4 runs at a higher framerate in spite of all of the above advantages

The artiocle never says the xbox doesnt have AA, it states there is more alising due to it being a lower resolution.

For sure the PS4 version is suppior, but in that same article, they said that although HBAO wasnt on the xone build they played, HBAO specifically, among other missing things, will be added to the xbox version once it goes live.

Curious why you ommited that info in your OP lol.

• youngkgyoungkg Member UncommonPosts: 357
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Originally posted by youngkg

PS4 has FXAA.

I think the PS4 looks a lot better on that video.  The XBox looks like they just jacked the contrast up a bit, and you lose a lot of detail.  Both look pretty bad though.

The Xbox 1 looked sharper to me but overall yeah...both pretty underwhelming.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    I've cleaned up some overly political stuff and personal attacks. Let's stick to the topic at hand, guys.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• TissmogiTissmogi Member Posts: 177
    Originally posted by deniromonk

It looks like the Microsoft bullshit about "balanced systems" and cloud computing is finally falling apart and we see the real difference with a 3rd Party Title. How can anyone even think about buying a XBOX this generation?

"Perhaps the biggest takeaway is that, in this near-finalised state, the PS4 offers a superior experience on several fronts. The resolution is higher at 1600x900, as compared to the tried and tested 1280x720 on Xbox One, suffering as it does for more visible aliasing artefacts. Visually, the PS4 has a marked advantage with ambient occlusion effects too, which simply isn't matched on Microsoft's platform with the build we played." (Eurogamer)

The artiocle never says the xbox doesnt have AA, it states there is more alising due to it being a lower resolution.

For sure the PS4 version is suppior, but in that same article, they said that although HBAO wasnt on the xone build they played, HBAO specifically, among other missing things, will be added to the xbox version once it goes live.

Look, i don't care if they have the more "balanced system" and can magically pop a rabbit out of the Kinect in the release version. Fact is that the XBOX can not deliver 60FPS in 720p, you really think they throw in FXAA and HBAO to drop the FPS further you are delusional. It's clear that the hardware with the THREE Operating Systems is massively underpowered.

This test has shown that all the cloud and "balanced system" talk was nothing but marketing bullshit.

Originally posted by Kaelaan21

Thanks for the info. I knew texture scaling to be this way for PC games, but I wasn't sure for the consoles.

Youa re welcome. These consoles are PC's now and the advantage is that they can use the same technology they use on the PC.

Yes, I have the PSN plus account as well (just for me though). However, Xbox Live started releasing some decent games including block buster titles for free every 2 weeks starting a few months back.

I need to take a look at that, thanks for the info.

I think at this moment, it's going to be a wait and see how the dashboard vs. bar experience will be. One of my major pet peaves with the PS3 is that it can take over a minute to start and I think a lot of that has to do with the way how the game is not always fully installed on the hard drive. Some of the PS3 games forces itself to install. These tend to start up quickly for me.

The good news is that I begin to prefer the PS4 over the Xbox, I don't have to move an entire game collection over. I'm nearly finished with my current collection and have been trading them in for games that can be traded up for only $10 at Gamestop.

I am not decided on either although highly favour the PS4 right now. I don't need the Kinect or TV or Skype and from the tests it seems that all this uneccessary crap has cost them a lot of performance.

Once developers will get more familiar with these consoles the difference will just get bigger.

Look, i don't care if they have the more "balanced system" and can magically pop a rabbit out of the Kinect in the release version. Fact is that the XBOX can not deliver 60FPS in 720p, you really think they throw in FXAA and HBAO to drop the FPS further you are delusional. It's clear that the hardware with the THREE Operating Systems is massively underpowered.

This test has shown that all the cloud and "balanced system" talk was nothing but marketing bullshit.

Why are you talking about FPS and "balanced systems"? I dont care what microsoft says about their system, its far inferior to the PS4

So lest go back to my actual comment. Your OP says the xbox doesnt have HBAO.....the same article you quoted says that although it wasnt in the build they tested, DICE confirmed they were adding it in the xbox version before launch.

Why did you omit that in your OP?

Why are you talking about FPS and "balanced systems"? I dont care what microsoft says about their system, its far inferior to the PS4

So lest go back to my actual comment. Your OP says the xbox doesnt have HBAO.....the same article you quoted says that although it wasnt in the build they tested, DICE confirmed they were adding it in the xbox version before launch.

Because it came in an update after i posted here. Reading comprehensions my friend.

" [Update: DICE's tech mastermind Johan Andersson has been in touch to say that AO will be the same on the final Xbox One version.]" 

Because it came in an update after i posted here. Reading comprehensions my friend.

" [Update: DICE's tech mastermind Johan Andersson has been in touch to say that AO will be the same on the final Xbox One version.]" 

That "update" was added in that article yestersay...

Your post went up today...

[mod edit]

That "update" was added in that article yestersay...

Your post went up today...

[mod edit]

Maybe in your timezone, not in mine. When i posted there was no update, that came much later.

[mod edit]

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Tis good to be a PC gamer. Don't have to worry about the static downgraded hardware that the consoles have. 900p and 720p... lol. Not to mention the terrible controller control scheme for an FPS... mouse and keyboard/Mouse and Joystick will always outperform a controller. 

Play on boys/gals with your aim assist on the consoles. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

Originally posted by Vunak23

Tis good to be a PC gamer. Don't have to worry about the static downgraded hardware that the consoles have. 900p and 720p... lol. Not to mention the terrible controller control scheme for an FPS... mouse and keyboard/Mouse and Joystick will always outperform a controller. 

Play on boys/gals with your aim assist on the consoles. 

Agree 100%, it's sad both are next gen and still ahve not made the step to 1080p, hence my reluctance in buying either of them.

FPS with controllers is something i can never understand. I am probably too stupid to do it. For racing however i prefer a controller even on the PC.