Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen or Elite: Dangerous?

Comments

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389

I say play both.  Seamless persistent universes...awesome...

....Add in oculus rift and hotas...image

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Would anyone that's following both games care to give their opinion on which you think will have better PvE aspect?    

As much as these games will obvoiusly have PvP, i'm pretty much a PvE-only player and the one thing that I always felt was lacklustre in EVE was good PvE.   I am not talking necessarily about just having single-player campaign playthrough (sounds like SC has this), but long term and meaningful co-operative PvE.  

Just looking for opinions, not links to stuff, i'm reading up as is.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• I think you will find good PvE in both games. Elite will have mind-boggingly more content through its procedural generation, but Star Citizen will offer a more handcrafted experience through Squadron 42, similar to the games like Wing Commander and Freelancer for which Roberts is so famed. In short I think you can find value in both games. Over time Elite's PvE might start to feel a little generic, so by the time Star Citizen comes out, Squadron 42 could be just the thing. I think SC will have the better setup in terms of PvP since that's not a major focus of Elite.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Both, but if I absolutely had to pick one I'd go with Elite: Dangerous. Why? Because of the two projects, it's the only one which has anything to show other than pretty spaceship models, and that despite the fact it's working with about 1/10th of the budget. Plus I don't exactly trust Chris Roberts either, as everything he's been involved in post Wing Commander (the games) has ranged from lackluster to pure crap.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• I have to say I loved Freelancer even if it played arcade-y.

• screecwescreecwe Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet
    Both, but if I absolutely had to pick one I'd go with Elite: Dangerous. Why? Because of the two projects, it's the only one which has anything to show other than pretty spaceship models, and that despite the fact it's working with about 1/10th of the budget. Plus I don't exactly trust Chris Roberts either, as everything he's been involved in post Wing Commander (the games) has ranged from lackluster to pure crap.

Uhh...you do realize that Elite: Dangerous is being made by a studio that didn't have to worry about ramping up a brand new studio, already has Publisher money ontop of their crowdfunding(soo your 1/10 budget is wrong), and has been in development for 7 years.

• Frontier publishes the game themselves.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    I'll try both but Elite seems more of my thing, especially with that planet landing and animal system they are working on

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• TalonSonOfRichardTalonSonOfRichard Member Posts: 6

My real interest was the multiplayer promise of both projects and I backed both projects very early on.

I was really passionate about Star Citizen and backed Elite Dangerous more to be supportive to both projects, given back in the day I played and loved them both. To be honest I was more of an "elite guy" but thought the big bucks of Star Citizen would mean they would come up with the benchmark game.

Over time I've gone off Star Citizen. 

My issue is that while Star Citizen are very good and drumming up funding and creating hype there is a real lack of clarity as to what game they are making.

Under the 'I love space faring games" banner comes a whole range of different player profiles, people who come from games like wow, people who prefer games like EVE, simfans, one player, multiplayer, casual, hardcore, you name it.

In their preoccupation with selling ships Star Citizen appear to be telling every single profile whatever they want to hear, rather than making a choice and being clear about who the core for this game is within the broad category of space faring game. You may think this it's possible to keep everyone happy, or that by having 40 million this will be somehow possible. But personally, and regardless of 40 million funding, I really don't, and instead believe that in the end a lot of people will be somewhere between unsatisfied and very angry, especially given the prices involved for Star Citizen and the money gamers have spent.

While others praise them for being very communicative with the community, (in fact they love to praise themselves for this) for me they dodge the big questions and often just come across like that saleman who says "yes" to every single question, so In the end I've had to disregard the hype, the techno babble, future promises and just decide for myself by reading between the lines as to what game they are making.

This is the conclusion I came to:

They are going to make a great one player game with lots of high quality content, voice actors, mocap, crafted locations etc.

The mulitplayer game will always be lacking by virtue of being relatively small, both in terms of the universe size, instances sizes and player numbers per instance. I dont care what they say or how much money they have because for me it stands to reason you can either go primarily hand crafted locations and use the cryengine to have million polygon ships but end up with small universe, small instances, small player counts - or you go the other way. Yes elite starts off at 32 per instance but I suspect it already has larger instances and numbers per instance will steadily go up, added to which I wont be on a 'map' with a space background tightly bound by invisible barriers and cut scenes, but actual an area where that planet is a real scale physical object out there I can fly to and land seemlessly on etc. 

Also in terms of realsim/whatever you want to call it, flying around in third person using a gamepad is not the kind of game I want to play. And regardless of what they say about this, given they want to/have to by this point keep everyone happy rather than make a choice I think in the end this is what we will be looking at.

Also when I discovered elite, aside from also being visually stunning, will also have it so you are the player not your ship, walk around etc, this was a real game changer for me, especially when you add it to the huge universe, black holes, binary stars  etc etc. 

So in the end because I was looking for a game that is very focused on a particular profile of player rather than one that is trying to be all things to all people (impossible in any case in my view) then the fact they have 40 million funding is actually, for me, a millstone around their neck, and one that it is now too late to do anything about.

Anyway I just wanted to share my thoughts and highlight this lack of clarity issue/wanting to please everyone which, after reading the first 10 pages of this thread in one siting, I noticed no one had really focused on. And the fact that in my view this 40 million so many people are holding  up as some kind of silver bullet to every potential issue, is in my view actually far from it. Perhaps you find this counter-intuitive but seen in this light the 40 million is actually a potentially huge problem that will never go away. And in the end why, as someone interested in a more sharply focused open world, realistic, sandbox multiplayer space faring game I made Elite Dangerous my game of choice. With the real frustration being all the hype from Star Citizen meant it took me a while to work this out.

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827

to the OP. TBH I have no intention of throwing $ at vaporware. If/when there is a product on the market I'll decide then.

Originally posted by BMBender

to the OP. TBH I have no intention of throwing $ at vaporware. If/when there is a product on the market I'll decide then.

I'm playing elite now. It's already very impressive, visually stunning and in 28 days (May 30th) I'll be playing it in a 20 cubic light year volume as it goes into premium beta.

Also if you did want to wait for both projects to be finished, and its the multiplayer you're interested in, you should know recent comments from Chris Roberts now suggest a 2016 release date as opposed to this year for ED. 

This is easy enough for you to google and confirm.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381

Makes Elite look pretty interesting.  Will have to keep an eye out  for the finished version.

For Star Citizen, I have every reason to expect it to continue to slip.  Instead of a workflow where you have programmers come up with cool things they can do, pitch it to the brass, it gets the go ahead and becomes a stretch goal, you get something rather different:   Grandiose vision, becomes a stretch goal, then the programmers get word from on high 'Figure out how to make this work!'

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Originally posted by Arglebargle

Makes Elite look pretty interesting.  Will have to keep an eye out  for the finished version.

For Star Citizen, I have every reason to expect it to continue to slip.  Instead of a workflow where you have programmers come up with cool things they can do, pitch it to the brass, it gets the go ahead and becomes a stretch goal, you get something rather different:   Grandiose vision, becomes a stretch goal, then the programmers get word from on high 'Figure out how to make this work!'

Funny you say that because I've now just heard its not 2016, but end of 2016. Ho hum

• wuckswucks Member UncommonPosts: 114

Originally posted by TalonSonOfRichard
    Originally posted by Arglebargle Makes Elite look pretty interesting.  Will have to keep an eye out  for the finished version.   For Star Citizen, I have every reason to expect it to continue to slip.  Instead of a workflow where you have programmers come up with cool things they can do, pitch it to the brass, it gets the go ahead and becomes a stretch goal, you get something rather different:   Grandiose vision, becomes a stretch goal, then the programmers get word from on high 'Figure out how to make this work!'

Funny you say that because I've now just heard its not 2016, but end of 2016. Ho hum

Because end of 2016 isn't 2016? Logic.

• Unless Elite somehow manages to suck, which it right now doesn't look like it does, I see no reason not to get one's space combat fix there until Star Citizen is out.

Originally posted by wucks

Originally posted by Arglebargle Makes Elite look pretty interesting.  Will have to keep an eye out  for the finished version.   For Star Citizen, I have every reason to expect it to continue to slip.  Instead of a workflow where you have programmers come up with cool things they can do, pitch it to the brass, it gets the go ahead and becomes a stretch goal, you get something rather different:   Grandiose vision, becomes a stretch goal, then the programmers get word from on high 'Figure out how to make this work!'

You may not have been aware but there was a time it was end of 2014, early 2015. Then up until 2 weeks ago it was some time in 2015. Then it slipped out following CR being asked by a game journo that it would be early 2016. Now we are hearing end of 2016. Hope that's clearer for you now.  

Although just speculation, but based on track record I won't be surprised if sooner or later we hear it will be beginning of 2017. Perhaps they should consider, instead of towels, adding in cockpit zimmer frames as their next stretch goal because by the time this game comes out we all might just need them.

Elite meanwhile, said 2014 since day one, never changed that statement, and I'm very confident it will be 2014. As I mentioned before I'm already playing the alpha and will be playing the beta on May 30th which is the multiplayer game including trading, bounty hunting, piracy etc, within a 20 light year volume of space encompassing several systems.

But as far as this track record of SC moving the release date for the PU goes, and facetiousness aside, I appreciate we all desperately want to believe, even to make excuses for them, but still it does not fill me with any confidence. And having said that, if you read my first post on the subject (post 136) you'll see this is far from my main concern. It is in fact a lengthy post in which I never mention this particular issue even once. 

Originally posted by wucks  

You may not have been aware but there was a time it was end of 2014, early 2015. Then up until 2 weeks ago it was some time in 2015. Then it slipped out following CR being asked by a game journo that it would be early 2016. Now we are hearing end of 2016. Hope that's clearer for you now.

Although just speculation, but based on track record I won't be surprised if sooner or later we hear it will be beginning of 2017.

Elite meanwhile, said 2014 since day one, never changed that statement, and I'm very confident it will be 2014. As I mentioned before I'm already playing the alpha and will be playing the beta on May 30th which is the multiplayer game including trading, bounty hunting, piracy etc, within a 20 light year volume of space encompassing several systems.

But as far as this track record of SC moving the release date for the PU goes, I appreciate we all desperately want to believe, even to make excuses for them, but still it does not fill me with any confidence. And having said that, if you read my first post on the subject (post 136) you'll see this is far from my main concern. It is in fact a lengthy post in which I never mention this particular issue even once. 

None of this, however, is relevant to the end of 2016 still being 2016.

Having played video games for more than 5 minutes I'm not in any way surprised that a huge project, which is far larger in scale than originally planned, is being delayed.

[mod edit]

Here's something for you to sink you teeth into. As the guy who brought it to my attention said, there really aren't enough faces or palms in the world to properly deal with it, or indeed the numerous other comments like it.

The comment is from a backer, and was made on one of the most recent RSI youtube vids:

"Star Citizen is by far the best game ever made. Period. Give them every dollar you can afford. Please. They are changing the way Games are made. Chris is the man. Sandi is the best Head of Marketing in the industry. The team is comprised of the best of the best of the industry. Chelsea is the best customer service rep you could ever ask for. Thank you CIG, you truly have outdone not only everyone expectations but even our greatest imagination."

• I'm actually quite fine with people putting more money into these two games, as long as it's not me doing it. Mua... Ha... Hahah... MUAHAHAHA! (Arhahahhaha)

At best, I get a better game out of it. At worst, someone who isn't me lost some money for no reason.

Originally posted by Axxar

I'm actually quite fine with people putting more money into these two games, as long as it's not me doing it. Mua... Ha... Hahah... MUAHAHAHA! (Arhahahhaha)

At best, I get a better game out of it. At worst, someone who isn't me lost some money for no reason.

LOL.

This is why you are smarter than me!

Especially when you consider the Star Citizen Ship market could end up being a modern day version of Tulip Mania.

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

I have backed Elite Dangerous because David Braben is a genius and I would give him £100 just as a thank you for the 100s of hours of fun my teenage self had in Elite. Hope it turns into a game I enjoy, but even if not from my perspective, I will be happy to see the next generation of Elite come to life.

I am watching SC closely and may end up playing it. I just haven't backed it since it doesn't look like they need the money.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534
    Either way, we have two excellent space sims that will deliver. I see this as a Win/Win with both games.
  • strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by Heretique
    Either way, we have two excellent space sims that will deliver. I see this as a Win/Win with both games.

image I can not agree more, I am looking forward to both. The only thing that bothers me is the fact they both do not seem like mmos and are like lobby games. I want more than "32 players max" to able to join me. I will play both, but with the grouping system I really dont think either will totally pull me away from EvE. 

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

Originally posted by strawhat0981

Originally posted by Heretique Either way, we have two excellent space sims that will deliver. I see this as a Win/Win with both games.
     I can not agree more, I am looking forward to both. The only thing that bothers me is the fact they both do not seem like mmos and are like lobby games. I want more than "32 players max" to able to join me. I will play both, but with the grouping system I really dont think either will totally pull me away from EvE. 

Agreed also, not really sure why so many people feel they have to pick one and hate the other. Having two come along at a similar time can only be a good thing for the player.

As for mmo vs lobby I think a lot of people are going to be a bit surprised when they finally get ingame and find how un-mmo like the game plays. I'm still not really sure how you have anything like, say, an economy within the persistent world if you can just go and do everything in your own little bubble. Time will tell...

• screecwescreecwe Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Originally posted by strawhat0981
    Originally posted by Heretique

image I can not agree more, I am looking forward to both. The only thing that bothers me is the fact they both do not seem like mmos and are like lobby games. I want more than "32 players max" to able to join me. I will play both, but with the grouping system I really dont think either will totally pull me away from EvE. 

In regards to Star Citizen, where are you getting this from?

This discussion has been closed.