Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

[Column] General: Visiting Grand Theft Auto: Online

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe Land of AZPosts: 16,572MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

Grand Theft Auto Online has been making a big splash in the game space lately. The Tourist takes a look at the game from the unique perspective of a visitor. See what we discovered before heading to the comments.

Grand Theft Auto Online is not an MMO. This begs the question of why we're covering it at all. Considering that I wrote the column on fake MMOs, it might come as a surprise that I asked to take this on. The answer is simple: MMO players are gamers. They care about more that just MMOs, even if that's their favorite type of game. So MMORPG.com covers that transection and finds the games with just enough crossover to earn the MMO player's heart. GTA:O is one of those titles. It is RPG inspired, multiplayer, and open world. It feels like an MMO, even if we know better. And PC players are likely to have their own client by early-2014.

Read more of Chris Coke's The Tourist Visits Grand Theft Auto Online.

Associate Editor: MMORPG.com
Follow me on Twitter: @MMORPGMom

Comments

• mCalvertmCalvert Tallahassee, FLPosts: 1,283Member
    Every column you write about non mmos could have been a column written about an MMO.
  • fenrisbluefenrisblue hampton, VAPosts: 119Member Uncommon

just a couple things to know if you plan on going back to gta v,

you can use your cell phone to deposit money

you can get your strength up by getting a friend to let you punch there car while they are in it(10 min to max str)

while in passive mode the players can still run you over with a car or blow you up in your car

you can disable visuals like body armor ,hats ,and glasses in the inventory options menu, once you put body armor on it never goes away unless you turn off the visual

• SidQFTSidQFT Kent, WAPosts: 80Member Uncommon
    i'm holding out till it comes out on PC!!  *crosses fingers*  hope i can last!
  • DeanGreyDeanGrey Fresno, CAPosts: 154Member
    Originally posted by SidQFT
    i'm holding out till it comes out on PC!!  *crosses fingers*  hope i can last!

I would give it 6-8 months. That is the average time a GTA game takes to move from consoles to PC. Likely so that Rockstar can get some double purchasers.

• sumo0sumo0 odensePosts: 115Member
    Open platform vs closed platform; I wonder what i would choose.
    ill be waiting for the PC version aswell.
  • flizzerflizzer Manchester, NHPosts: 1,550Member Uncommon
    Waiting for PC and the end of GFWL, only then. 
  • MsFitMsFit Home, ALPosts: 24Member Uncommon
    So it's APB with a bad character builder and made by Crapstar. *yawn*
  • ConleyConley Somewhere in the...Posts: 195Member

GTA Online is more entertaining multiplayer then every mmo since 2010 combined. People complain that every mmo looks alike, GTA offers a multiplayer that plays and feels completely different then anything out there. People complain that they have grind in mmo, this doesn't have it. People complain they want a high quality sandbox, here it is. People want something different from countless sword and sorcery themed games, here it is. 

The only pity is there are only 16 players in a city. If they manage to get more people in one city it would feel even more like an MMO. Something like 128 would go a long way. Hope that the PC version can offer that. And of course even better would be the ability to manage your own custom servers so we can for example set up themed servers for RP for example. 

Oh and by the way it is really nothing like ABP. Comparing ABP to GTA is like comparing a 1970 lada to a F-117 Nighthawk. 

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Austin, TXPosts: 348Member Uncommon
    I've burned a few nights in GTAO, and I've had fun while there.  I agree with Conley about having more players.  I played APB ReLoaded for a while, and while it is a moneypit, I like how their quests/missions are streamlined into the gameplay a little better than GTAO.  I hate waiting in lobbies.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel:

• VoqarVoqar Phoenix, AZPosts: 498Member

"Grand Theft Auto Online is not an MMO. This begs the question of why we're covering it at all. Considering that I wrote the column on fake MMOs, it might come as a surprise that I asked to take this on. The answer is simple: MMO players are gamers. They care about more that just MMOs, even if that's their favorite type of game."

Well, since this is MMORPG.com I come here for MMORPG news and bits, not general gaming bits, so yeah, when I see GTA online or Diablo or other games that clearly are not MMORPGs here I'm like, wot?

There are plenty of sites that do general game coverage.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.