Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Live Forum Q&A with Trion CEO Scott Hartsman -- TOMORROW!

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Join us tomorrow at 7PM ET in The Pub for a live Q&A with Trion Worlds CEO Scott Hartsman.

If you've got questions for Scott on anything Trion this is an event you won't want to miss!

Please keep in mind that tomorrow's Q&A is NOT a discussion thread. Simply submit your questions in the thread (or follow-up questions to any of Scott's answers) and allow him a chance to answer.

Remember to be respectful and courteous with your questions. Disrespectful questions, comments, or outright trolling will be dealt with harshly by our moderation team.

If you have any questions about tomorrow's Q&A, feel free to drop 'em in the comments below.

Comments

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

nice. thank you!

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by Foomerang

nice. thank you!

You're welcome! Hope you guys are looking forward to it!

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

Questions:

Why is there so little information regarding Archeage?

When can we expect a release date for Archeage (+/- 6 months)?

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

@mikeb: did you decide against the AMA format then? i know you recently asked what types of AMA we wanted to see and we specifically said we didn't just want producers or CEOs.

so, just curious.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Originally posted by aspekx

@mikeb: did you decide against the AMA format then? i know you recently asked what types of AMA we wanted to see and we specifically said we didn't just want producers or CEOs.

so, just curious.

These are "AMA format". I asked who would you like us to reach out to for these things.  I've been doing my own poking around, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing opportunities you guys are interested in. Ex. getting AMAs for games or notable industry people I haven't thought of myself.

My questions:
    Your company (Trion) basically set the new pace for content patches in themepark mmos. Do you think this is something that will continue to evolve? Has it created a quantity over quality issue in the industry? What are your thoughts on dev created content versus player created content? How much of the reigns would you be willing to share with your customers as an mmo evolves over years?

Thank you

another question haha
    you dont need to answer all of mine. I'm not gonna bogart the ama.

Rift is an example of an extremely adaptable mmo. Over the course of the game's life so far, you've added entire systems such as 3 faction pvp, housing, more than doubling land masses, the ability to set your level to fit zone content, wedding ceremonies.

The game started relatively small compared to other mmo launches. I know there seems to be a lot of demand for mmo premiering with months of content already made. When you look at say The Old Republilc, which launched with 17 planets, 8 unique single player campaigns, and a space mini game it is a stark contrast to what Rift launched with.

And yet both games ended up finding success in a free to play payment model.

So is it better to start small and work your way up to something bigger? Or start big and ride the wave?

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352

My only question is if I will be wasting my time participating in this Q & A if the only info I care to hear is ANYTHING about Archeage? That is except the standard "we are working on it" response.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625
    Question:  What does Trion have planned for Archeage in regards to 'Westernization'? Are there any plans to remove certain features or items from the game to better suit the masses? (I'm actually hoping this doesn't happen).
  • shifueshifue Member UncommonPosts: 11

I am in the Archeage boat as well i kinda got a few questions as well.

1) Are we going to hear about a release plan/date as this game is highly awaited and we have not hear anything concrete or really anything at all.

2)The westernization as mentioned above will be be just on looks and not changing aspects of the game? And if it's changing gameplay what changes are being made?

3)What is the payment model looking like for archeage as this has been a big area of discussion giving attitudes about the russian model,p2p,b2p and f2p and i know a lot of the big concern here is f2p being a botfest with gold farmers,hackers,and usually includes a fair amount of pay to win (ex items not gained in the game without someone paying real cash for that gives huge advantages) russia new model seems better but i like the buy to play myself with a fluff shop so what system is going to be in place? and details please price etc

thanks for your time.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Scott is a brave man letting the lions and vultures on MMOrpg.com interro... sorry pose some questions to him. Good luck Scott image

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• davidberdavidber Member Posts: 2

As a person who has played Rift since Alpha, why is there no compelling reason to stay a patron?  I realize that the F2P model has given you new revenue streams with a lot of fluff and temporary boost items.  However, the 10% discount, the weekly/daily gift, and the 20% extra marks (on low end currencies) does not justify the subscription.  I am trying to give you money.  I want to support the company and help pay the devs salaries.  I raid, I do not care for dimensions (the sims), fluff items (the sims) and have no need for lower end currencies.  Please find a solution to players like me who want to give you money for something they see value in.

And if I can cheat and sneak in a second question.  Rift has a history of small raids and then some big raids.  GOS/ROS were 5 and 4 boss zones.  Then we get HK which felt massive with 10 bosses, followed by ID with eight bosses.  We just got IG and PB.  Will there will be another massive zone with more than 3-4 bosses in it?  HK and ID felt epic.  IG feels like a glorified dungeon and PB feels like it could have had more than 5 bosses in it.

• HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242

ArcheAge:

1) What is the status? Hint: "It has a status" is not an answer...

2) Is there a Beta date?

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Question:

I was always looking for RIFT faction vs faction conflict.Conflict that would rival the extraordinary features of DARK AGE OF CAMELOT....a persistent 24/7 world of ongoing conflict...castles..towers etc. Any chance Rift could evolve in that direction ?

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

Question:

What did you learn from the Rift's launch and initial year?  What would you do differently if you had the chance?

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Originally posted by aspekx

so, just curious.

These are "AMA format". I asked who would you like us to reach out to for these things.  I've been doing my own poking around, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing opportunities you guys are interested in. Ex. getting AMAs for games or notable industry people I haven't thought of myself.

cool. thanks for the reply.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• ZapzapZapzap Member UncommonPosts: 224

Scott:

Prior to Rift's release you expressed a design concept  of using limited developer resources on a narrow amount of content from level  1 to max combined with a large amount of  fully tested endgame content.  How well do you think that philosophy worked and what would you change in hindsight?

Scott:

What MMO titles in development other than Archeage are you excited about and why?

Scott:

I see a lot of people on forums like these attacking Rift as a failure for in their words not retaining enough players.  Do you define Rift as a success?  Why?  Which brings me to my real question outside of all the hype and hubris we see on forums what is a realistic way of measuring success for a modern MMO?

• KiwiHypeKiwiHype Member UncommonPosts: 233

I love Rift, thanks for coming back to keep steering our game. We have just seen Shard Unification take place and I keep reading Daglars statements over and over but the wording implicates more than states so my main questions is:.

Is this the beginning of the possibility EU & NA shards becoming one region?

I am also a fansite for Dimensions and thoroughly appreciate all concepts. Thanks so much! My other inquiry is with Raiding. This current tier of content is so awesome but because of how long it took to get here we have lost many endgame guilds. I fear we will have no hardcore raiders left soon because this content will also be conquered shortly. My inquiries are:

Will there be any changes in the pace of 20 man content being released? Is there any hope for current raiders to keep playing into 2014?

Thanks for taking the time Scott and Aloha Grakulen, Chief & everyone at Insomniac Gaming especially Kel :)

This isn't the question thread guys. This is just the announcement.
  • General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    MikeB they do this every time LOL

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    Can we expect a PvP server type in AA with a reduction in safe zones?
  • blutigfaustblutigfaust Member UncommonPosts: 129
    how do I get into "The Pub"  to listen , as I'm anticipating questions answered about Archeage as well.

Current games playing: MechWarrior Online
    Games being watched:  Project Genom
    Favorite played games: SWG, RomaVictor, and Xsyon

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    oh defiance, defiance ....where art thou?
This discussion has been closed.