Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Big Is Rifts Game World? Seems Smaller Than WoW And TERA

Macrinus101Macrinus101 Member Posts: 44

Since WoW seems to be the Generic Standard for MMO's, Vanilla WoW world size is about 80 square miles. TERA is 94 Square Miles and that was before they released their mini expansion packs that added some zones.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/978283-/61926265

So how big is Rifts game world?

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/306052

It seems smaller than Vanilla WoW, i can't play a MMO that is smaller than Vanilla WoW except for SWTOR which is probably smaller over all but I am playing it because I really like the story content and I am a star wars fan, I probably won't stick with it after.

Anyway, I don't think I can play Rift, I can't play an MMO that is smaller than vanilla WoW. Is this wrong? Has there been regional addons since 2011 when this thread was made?

Comments

• FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235
    I don´t know about the real size, but RIFT tripled the game world with the Storm Legion expansion. It´s also available for f2p, so nothing is stopping from checking it out :)

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    My digital game measuring tape can only stretch 12 inches. Ill give you an answer in a couple days.
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

I

cant remember the threat but on these here forums I remember it being said that rift had one of the smallest worlds on release. 

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Tera and Rift were both really small for leveling zones at least. There isn't a really good way to measure this since movement speeds vary etc. Rift is one of the smallest games I've played while leveling. I didn't play the expansion so can't speak to it now.

• Macrinus101Macrinus101 Member Posts: 44
    Does the in game wold map also show the Storm Legion expansion? I assume Storm Legion was incorporated into the full game for free when it went FTP.
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Rift's landmass at rleease was easily the smallest ever for a AAA game.  Vanilla Rift plus Storm legion is a decent size now, I would say about as big as Kalimdor/Eastern Kingdoms combined.
  • feena750feena750 Member UncommonPosts: 330
    Storm legion made the size of the world quite large, but at max lv it does not feel very larger since most of the land mass is dedicated to leveling instead of lv 60.  I leveled from 50-60 by utilizing about 20% of the storm legion landmass, but now that I am 60 I don't have a reason to do most of that content since it is not lv 60 content which makes the world feel small at 60.  That is an issue with many MMOs though.
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• CalmmoCalmmo Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by Deivos
    Here?

dont spread misinformation, thats a calculation based on 1.0 nearly 3 years ago.

1.0 Map (Mathosia continent)

1.6 Ember Isle Patch (adds the largest zone at the time)

2.0 + 2.3 zones map (this map shows Two  continents each of which are the size of Rifts zones from 1,0 to 1.6 combined) (Dusken & Brevane Continents)

The Maps I tried to size in a way that shows roughly their actual size compared to each other