Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: The Need for Respec

2»

Comments

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    Originally posted by Eol-

"Elder Scrolls Online only features four character classes, but each offers an almost infinite number of skill combinations"

Complete BS.

There is no actual freedom in ESO because your skills are LOCKED to the weapon type you have equiped. Its false freedom.

You want to heal? Better have a HEALING STAFF equiped.

You want to use fire spells? FIRE STAFF.

Ice spells? FROST STAFF.

Freedom would mean that I could cast ANY SPELL no matter the weapon and not be limtied to a set.

They made it like this beacuse the developers are trapped in their MMO past with the same limits, the only thing they have learned is how to distort the truth more...which they MUST do to get those box sales...no non-MMO playing TES fan would touch this game knowing what is ACTUALLY there.

Think about it, if you were FREE you wouldnt NEED TO RESPEC. It means there is a LIMIT...yet another thing NOT TES about TESO.

And NO, there doesnt HAVE TO BE limits in MMOs. There is no point to them in a game they are SAYING IS CLASSLESS.

Jesus, they cant even get their lies straight. Guess thats what happens when you are trying to trick both MMO players and SRPG players into getting your game, you have to lie about almost everything.

Almost every statement you made above is incorrect. The class skills can be used with any weapon - weapon skills and class skills are totally different. The Templar class has a whole healing tree, which can be used with any weapon. The dragonknight class has fire skills, usable with any weapon. Etc etc. And BTW they didn't make the weapon skills choices because they are 'trapped in their MMO past', they did it because if every skill was usable with every weapon, it would make weapon choice mainly a visual choice and with little playstyle difference, which would be very boring.

Dont BS me.

Can I or can I not cast any and all spells in an ES game no matter what weapon I have equiped? Yes I can.

Can I or can I not cast any and all spels in TESO? No I cannot. They are weapon based.

Do both have classes? Yes

Do both limit what you can or cannot do via classes? No, only TESO does because its trapped in the MMO past with its vast limitations.

TESO does not have freedom, it has a false sense of it. A sense created by devlopers trying to make an MMO for MMO players and an multiplayer RPG for SRPG players and failing on both fronts.

Dude seriously. You really sound like a troll that has never ever played a single TES game.

Fire up Skyrim. Good Luck shooting a firebolt spell when holding a 2H weapon or 1H weapon+shield.

Good Luck firing Arrows without a bow equiped.

Need to go on? Or you still don´t get it how silly you sound?

• SatyrosSatyros Member UncommonPosts: 156
    Originally posted by iJustWant

I don't recall ever needing a respec in the single player ES games. If I had always used a Sword, then wanted to start learning Axe, I just started using it. My Sword skill was still there; there was no skill cap, so no need to refund anything.

When playing an MMO, I do prefer the option to respec, because game design changes over time, but I don't think I should be allowed to swap my Sword skill points for Axe skill points - I should have to go pick up an Axe.

Yes, exactly.

And let me point out that most people rage against "kids" ruining their MMO by causing their oversimplification.  This thread proves that its not the "casual noobs" who ruin games. 

It's all gamers that should get their facts straight. Do you want everything served in a golden plate infont of you?  If not, drop your sword, go find an axe and start EARNING instead of EXPECTING.

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Whatever makes the game more hardcore oriented and less casual works for me. I doubt ZeniMax will go very far in either direction though since they appear to be trying to appeal to every type of player known to man.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545
    Originally posted by Eol-

"Elder Scrolls Online only features four character classes, but each offers an almost infinite number of skill combinations"

Complete BS.

There is no actual freedom in ESO because your skills are LOCKED to the weapon type you have equiped. Its false freedom.

You want to heal? Better have a HEALING STAFF equiped.

You want to use fire spells? FIRE STAFF.

Ice spells? FROST STAFF.

Freedom would mean that I could cast ANY SPELL no matter the weapon and not be limtied to a set.

They made it like this beacuse the developers are trapped in their MMO past with the same limits, the only thing they have learned is how to distort the truth more...which they MUST do to get those box sales...no non-MMO playing TES fan would touch this game knowing what is ACTUALLY there.

Think about it, if you were FREE you wouldnt NEED TO RESPEC. It means there is a LIMIT...yet another thing NOT TES about TESO.

And NO, there doesnt HAVE TO BE limits in MMOs. There is no point to them in a game they are SAYING IS CLASSLESS.

Jesus, they cant even get their lies straight. Guess thats what happens when you are trying to trick both MMO players and SRPG players into getting your game, you have to lie about almost everything.

Almost every statement you made above is incorrect. The class skills can be used with any weapon - weapon skills and class skills are totally different. The Templar class has a whole healing tree, which can be used with any weapon. The dragonknight class has fire skills, usable with any weapon. Etc etc. And BTW they didn't make the weapon skills choices because they are 'trapped in their MMO past', they did it because if every skill was usable with every weapon, it would make weapon choice mainly a visual choice and with little playstyle difference, which would be very boring.

Dont BS me.

Can I or can I not cast any and all spells in an ES game no matter what weapon I have equiped? Yes I can.

Can I or can I not cast any and all spels in TESO? No I cannot. They are weapon based.

Do both have classes? Yes

Do both limit what you can or cannot do via classes? No, only TESO does because its trapped in the MMO past with its vast limitations.

TESO does not have freedom, it has a false sense of it. A sense created by devlopers trying to make an MMO for MMO players and an multiplayer RPG for SRPG players and failing on both fronts.

You can't cast spells from a hand that has an equipped weapon.

Have you even played any Elder Scrolls games? 

....Go take your meds man

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,976
    Originally posted by Mithrundir
    Whatever makes the game more hardcore oriented and less casual works for me. I doubt ZeniMax will go very far in either direction though since they appear to be trying to appeal to every type of player known to man.

That is the tune that every MMO after Lotro has danced to, by trying to appeal to everyone you end up only satisfying everyone a little. You cannot appeal to all players all of the time but MMO companies will adopt any other strategy.

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598

If you want respec, then roll another character.

I think that all MMOs should lock in your specs. Allowing respecs inadvertently changes the whole core of a game because players will respec at will for different situations. This is a flaw in new MMO design.

If you really really have to allow respecs to help fix mistakes then at minimum there should be a 30-day cooldown on your ability to respec.

Players need to be committed to one build; character development doesn't mean much when you can scramble it around whenever you want.

• Hernan01Hernan01 Member UncommonPosts: 13

I feel the respec is definitely needed in this game.  You have the option here to play anyway that you choose.  This freedom can definitely be used unwisely and ignorantly since the game is not even released yet.  Having a respec at say level 15 should should allow for players that realize their optimal dream avatar hasn't turned out like they thought it would due to game constraints and demands unforeseen by new, ignorant players.  By level 15 you should  have a feel for the game and how you are going to play it.  If you didn't get it right by then, you should just start a new avatar if you consider your current one broken.

I wonder how many here are speaking from real in-game experience with ESO or just spouting off their general opinion of everygame.  Of course the answer will be none since (heaven forbid) there is an NDA in place.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by SBFord

As it stands right now, there is much that is unknown about Elder Scrolls Online, including whether or not respecialization of skills will be an option. In our latest ESO column, we take a hypothetical look at classes, skills, and abilities and some potential issues if respec is -not- included. Read on before leaving your thoughts in the comments.

In the demos I have played for ESO, I had the chance to play the Templar, Dragon Knight, and Sorcerer. The last time I played the game I chose the Sorcerer class since I really like the idea that a caster type character can wear medium armor, swing a big two handed sword, and blast enemies from afar. All Elder Scrolls games feature something like this. One thing, however, that bothered me with Skyrim was my inability to go back and retrain my character. It took me a few attempts with early characters to really settle on something I enjoyed. I used my experiences in Skyrim to think about how Elder Scrolls Online will work.  

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Elder Scrolls Online: The Need for Respec.

respecs are for wuzzies.

you want another specc? level another char. simple.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"