Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Thinking about playing

TheCoonTheCoon Phoenix, AZPosts: 39Member

My brother and I are looking for a game reminiscent of Ultima Online. We don't get to see each other often and gaming is a way for us to "hang out". So, would we be able to enjoy this game together just the two of us or even solo? Or do you have to join a clan and run in large groups to survive/have fun?

Comments

  • mmochallengemmochallenge Brooklyn, NYPosts: 11Member
    Originally posted by TheCoon

    My brother and I are looking for a game reminiscent of Ultima Online. We don't get to see each other often and gaming is a way for us to "hang out". So, would we be able to enjoy this game together just the two of us or even solo? Or do you have to join a clan and run in large groups to survive/have fun?

    In order to take part of large siege you need to be in a clan.  Otherwise with 2 you, you will be able to enjoy 90% of all the game content.  You will both get into a lot of 2vs1, 2vs2, 2vs3 .  I think you will have fun.  

     

     

    Take the 30 days MMO Challenge!

  • apocolusterapocoluster newport news, VAPosts: 1,321Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by TheCoon

    My brother and I are looking for a game reminiscent of Ultima Online. We don't get to see each other often and gaming is a way for us to "hang out". So, would we be able to enjoy this game together just the two of us or even solo? Or do you have to join a clan and run in large groups to survive/have fun?

    Yah go give it a try. Lord knw they can use your money

    No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

  • LustmordLustmord Mt. Gilead, OHPosts: 1,095Member Uncommon
    As a 2 man group you can still scroach a siege, and try to pick off stragglers and ninja loot graves for quick profit.

    Yes I think you should try it. It's the best option for a UO style game we have on the market.
  • WightyWighty Westbury, NYPosts: 665Member Uncommon

    This game is very much a clan vs clan game... Everyone seems to pack hunt... If you and your bro are out just doing your thing and killing mobs... Expect to be steamrolled often, maybe you will be lucky and your corpse will not be picked clean.. at least in the early "level" of the game...

     

    If you are in a clan... your only option is to stick with and group with the clan... if you are solo and tagged chances are you have a lot of enemies that you are not even aware of.

     

    The game is definitely not for the light hearted and soloer as I have learned in my experience in the first few months of play... Maybe it is different now and the population and griefers thinned out.

     

    Best bet for this type of game play would be Pathfinder... same basic ruleset only a little more forgiving in that you can "thread" (not drop some of your items) and also seems to have a criminal system as opposed to vigilante justice.

     

    Pathfinder is a ways out there so it may be a while...

    What are your other Hobbies?

    Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

  • SnoepieSnoepie RotterdamPosts: 470Member
    Originally posted by TheCoon

    My brother and I are looking for a game reminiscent of Ultima Online. We don't get to see each other often and gaming is a way for us to "hang out". So, would we be able to enjoy this game together just the two of us or even solo? Or do you have to join a clan and run in large groups to survive/have fun?

    if your hardcore UO player you wont like this game tho..

     

    Uw does  not have a single sandbox element ingame..

    its a moba on a big map without any siege equipment

     

    O wait... well you can farm prowess whole day long by doing sort of quests: kill 10 rats upto 500 kils a mob

     

    have fun

  • MardukkMardukk Posts: 1,557Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Wighty

    This game is very much a clan vs clan game... Everyone seems to pack hunt... If you and your bro are out just doing your thing and killing mobs... Expect to be steamrolled often, maybe you will be lucky and your corpse will not be picked clean.. at least in the early "level" of the game... If you are in a clan... your only option is to stick with and group with the clan... if you are solo and tagged chances are you have a lot of enemies that you are not even aware of. The game is definitely not for the light hearted and soloer as I have learned in my experience in the first few months of play... Maybe it is different now and the population and griefers thinned out. Best bet for this type of game play would be Pathfinder... same basic ruleset only a little more forgiving in that you can "thread" (not drop some of your items) and also seems to have a criminal system as opposed to vigilante justice. Pathfinder is a ways out there so it may be a while...

     

    This is not the case anymore. The pop is down a bit. I have soloed to 50k
    prow mostly through open world pve and not had huge problems. Granted I've never won when someone got the jump on me (usually due to low health or stamina from fighting mobs). Greatworld to explore...have fun op.
  • the420kidthe420kid Hamilton, ONPosts: 440Member Uncommon

    dont think about it just do it this is the best hardcore game on the market atm.  Is it perfect? no  Is it fully completed?  Hell no..  But it is still the best PvP action your gonna get in a current game atm

    Get the game, harvest safely for abit, sell the materials on AH, buy a fishing trawler..  Use that trawler to go around the ocean when your afk or semi afk for excellent prow gain especialy at low level.  When your fully playing farm some easy mob feats, if you get in a clan / alliance with a city I suggest you farm the relevant mobs around that city then your bound close and you have a place to run for help from PvP. 

    With abit of farming, some harvesting / crafting and trawlering when afk you can be pvp viable in 2 days.  Get in a clan and you might get a trawler for free or materials to craft for free which can speed it up as well but it wont take you long to get enough prow to be viable.  Once you have enough prow duel your buddy and everyone else in your clan to learn combat, then steamroll players in the world and take all there loots its a beautiful thing :)

  • klagmireklagmire fenton, MIPosts: 94Member
    I would like to try it, but its 40 to buy and 15 to sub. Do you get the first month free? I just cant see paying 65 bucks for the first month and the retail price. Really with all the F2P games they should make it like 10 to sub and free download.

    Played:SWG(pre NGE/CU sucked)Yep its true, anyone who quit SWG because of the NGE/CU missed out on a much better combat system. DCUO, Fallen Earth, STO, The Secret World. Battlefield series. Planetside 2. Still playing SWG.

  • LustmordLustmord Mt. Gilead, OHPosts: 1,095Member Uncommon
    Yes first month is free.
  • korbzykorbzy wollongongPosts: 30Member
    Yes first month cost only 40 and includes 30 days gametime. The game is well worth it even if you play with you and your bro. Later in you can decide to join a small clan or a zerg, depends what you want. Goodluck mate!
  • gamekid2kgamekid2k Austin, TXPosts: 360Member

    The game comes with 30 days of game time and you will get a good feel of it by the end of first month.  Remember this is meant to be like EVE Online.  So you can be some what PvP viable in a week, but to get all crafting masteries, and end game stuff it will take months. 

    This is not Battlefield where you can jump into action withing the first hour.  It is a MMO with many time sink element.

    If you are looking for a MMO and not "quarter" based Arcade game, this is a must pick at the moment.

    Linking a video of small scale pvp.

    Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

  • xpiherxpiher Indianapolis, INPosts: 3,311Member
    This game is closer to sb than Uo. The game closest to Uo is MO and that game is terrible for various reasons (customization isn't great as it could be because of the need to min-max everything in order to be viable at all)

    image
    Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

  • MrBootsMrBoots a, ALPosts: 277Member
    If you like a pseudo sandbox  battle arena with a small population, very little content, poor performance, slow updates, almost no developer interaction, bugs, and loads of hackers, this is definitely the game for you.
  • MakidianMakidian Liverpool, NYPosts: 207Member Uncommon
    If you do try it out send me a message and I will run around with you guys, I just started and some company would be good.
  • gamekid2kgamekid2k Austin, TXPosts: 360Member
    MrBoots that will cover 99% of all mmo in the market right now

    Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

  • eHugeHug HamburgPosts: 224Member
    Originally posted by MrBoots
    If you like a pseudo sandbox  battle arena with a small population, very little content, poor performance, slow updates, almost no developer interaction, bugs, and loads of hackers, this is definitely the game for you.

    If you like a mmorpg with lots of sandbox elements, with a population that allows small and medium scale fights and sieges at any time of the day, acceptable performance (80FPS in town with ~50ppl on the screen on i5-3570/660TI), enough content to keep people that love pvp and play 2-3h  a day playing for months and hardly any hackers (didn't read a single complaint in 2 months of playing this), I suggest you to try Darkfall Unholy Wars.

  • xpiherxpiher Indianapolis, INPosts: 3,311Member
    There isn't a lot of sandbox elements don't lie to people

    image
    Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

  • TheCoonTheCoon Phoenix, AZPosts: 39Member
    Thank you for all the responses. We have been checking out Mortal Online's unlimited trial the past few days. That game has pretty much all the features we could ever ask for in a game, however the gameplay is really buggy and the population is extremely low. I will definitely be popping in from time to time though to see how it improves. Anyhow, we both just bought Darkfall today and hopefully we end up liking it. Right off the bat we could tell it plays so much cleaner than MO. The ui is going to take some getting used to. Well, I'll try keep you guys posted on our experience. Thanks again.
  • MakidianMakidian Liverpool, NYPosts: 207Member Uncommon
    Yea the ui took me some time to figure out.
  • Cristina1Cristina1 xxxPosts: 369Member
    I bought Darkfall a few days ago as well, fun game!
  • xpiherxpiher Indianapolis, INPosts: 3,311Member
    Originally posted by TheCoon
    Thank you for all the responses. We have been checking out Mortal Online's unlimited trial the past few days. That game has pretty much all the features we could ever ask for in a game, however the gameplay is really buggy and the population is extremely low. I will definitely be popping in from time to time though to see how it improves. Anyhow, we both just bought Darkfall today and hopefully we end up liking it. Right off the bat we could tell it plays so much cleaner than MO. The ui is going to take some getting used to. Well, I'll try keep you guys posted on our experience. Thanks again.

    First bit of advice, ignore the radial menu and hard bind all your skills to different keys. 

    image
    Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

  • TheCoonTheCoon Phoenix, AZPosts: 39Member
    Originally posted by xpiher
    Originally posted by TheCoon
    Thank you for all the responses. We have been checking out Mortal Online's unlimited trial the past few days. That game has pretty much all the features we could ever ask for in a game, however the gameplay is really buggy and the population is extremely low. I will definitely be popping in from time to time though to see how it improves. Anyhow, we both just bought Darkfall today and hopefully we end up liking it. Right off the bat we could tell it plays so much cleaner than MO. The ui is going to take some getting used to. Well, I'll try keep you guys posted on our experience. Thanks again.

    First bit of advice, ignore the radial menu and hard bind all your skills to different keys. 

    Thanks for the tip

  • gamekid2kgamekid2k Austin, TXPosts: 360Member
    Run into the newbie dungeon in safe zone.  Farm 2000 rawhides.  Sell them in AH.  Buy yourself a fishing trawler (10,000 gold each).  Drive it around the world far away from land.  The prowess return is super high.  You are expected to loose to pirates but it doesn't matter.  The prowess gain is worth it until you are 30,000 prowess. 

    Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

Sign In or Register to comment.