Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Darkfall launches [as subscription-based? f2p?] in Korea and Japan on October 30

PWN_FACEPWN_FACE SeoulPosts: 670Member

Here is the link, if you are curious. 

http://darkfall.mgame.com/event/2013/1017_dday/

You will need a national ID #, either your own or a friend's to play. If you find a bunch of mates who speak your language, you can start a clan there and play together if ping isn't a problem.

From what I saw in the videos, it looks like DFUW, so you won't need to worry about the foreign language tutorials if you are familiar with that game. It looks like DF1 is dead and gone.

Regarding subscriptions in Korea, you can usually buy them in increments of 7, 30, or 90 days. You can also by hour-based time cards for like 5 or 30 hours. The hour-based cards are only charged when you're online. The subs run as usual whether you log in or not.

I think their whole business plan is based on exploiting the intense rivalry between Korea and Japan to keep players interested in this game since they will be playing on the same server. If that doesn't work, this game will tank in Korea/Japan. I'm interested to see how it turns out.

Comments

• korbzykorbzy wollongongPosts: 30Member
    I really hope Oceanic players can get on it. I would love 130ms, beats the 250ms I get on NA
  • xpiherxpiher Indianapolis, INPosts: 3,311Member
    You can't. Korea has a law where you can't game anonymously and require you to verify your id through their country's credit rating agencies

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• mmochallengemmochallenge Brooklyn, NYPosts: 11Member
    Originally posted by PWN_FACE

Here is the link, if you are curious. 

http://darkfall.mgame.com/event/2013/1017_dday/

You will need a national ID #, either your own or a friend's to play. If you find a bunch of mates who speak your language, you can start a clan there and play together if ping isn't a problem.

From what I saw in the videos, it looks like DFUW, so you won't need to worry about the foreign language tutorials if you are familiar with that game. It looks like DF1 is dead and gone.

Regarding subscriptions in Korea, you can usually buy them in increments of 7, 30, or 90 days. You can also by hour-based time cards for like 5 or 30 hours. The hour-based cards are only charged when you're online. The subs run as usual whether you log in or not.

I think their whole business plan is based on exploiting the intense rivalry between Korea and Japan to keep players interested in this game since they will be playing on the same server. If that doesn't work, this game will tank in Korea/Japan. I'm interested to see how it turns out.

Nice finally someone translated the page.  I think this rivarly between countries will work.  It will be pretty nasty bind camping...

Take the 30 days MMO Challenge!

• PWN_FACEPWN_FACE SeoulPosts: 670Member
    Originally posted by korbzy
    I really hope Oceanic players can get on it. I would love 130ms, beats the 250ms I get on NA

Korbzy! 

Originally posted by xpiher
    You can't. Korea has a law where you can't game anonymously and require you to verify your id through their country's credit rating agencies

Correct. As far as I know, you need a Korean ID number and then you sign up with an identity verification website, but I don't think a "credit rating agency" as we think of that in the states. The game's website can just verify if you are you through your ID number, address, or other personal info. You would need a friend from Korea to create and account for the Korean client. I'm not sure about the law in Japan, though.

Anyone know? If you could read and navigate the Japanese site, you might be able to create there depending on whether you need a Japanese ID or not.

• gamekid2kgamekid2k Austin, TXPosts: 360Member

per https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?381863-DF-Asia-confirmed-free-to-play&p=6195132&viewfull=1#post6195132

joshuawn stated

his remark about subscriptions shouldn't even be associated with darkfall. although it's somewhat close to how the few remaining P2P games operate, these games' subscriptions are holdovers from the international localizations if the company refuses to make an entirely new transaction system (much like how having to log in through a website for f2p games is a holdover from the korean infrastructure development).

just look at his posts in MMORPG.com's Claus Thread. PWN_FACE doesn't play darkfall and he doesn't know what he's talking about.

too much misinformation being spread around today.

I guess we will have to wait till it goes live.

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

Originally posted by gamekid2k

per https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?381863-DF-Asia-confirmed-free-to-play&p=6195132&viewfull=1#post6195132

joshuawn stated

his remark about subscriptions shouldn't even be associated with darkfall. although it's somewhat close to how the few remaining P2P games operate, these games' subscriptions are holdovers from the international localizations if the company refuses to make an entirely new transaction system (much like how having to log in through a website for f2p games is a holdover from the korean infrastructure development).

[This has to do with Korean law, which requires your real identity for any online transaction involving real money. Presumably, all f2p games have the potential for such transactions.] PWN_FACE

just look at his posts in MMORPG.com's Claus Thread. PWN_FACE doesn't play darkfall and he doesn't know what he's talking about.

too much misinformation being spread around today.

I guess we will have to wait till it goes live.

I haven't played Darkfall since June, it's true. But I was interested in the Asian version, since I'm in Korea and can play. It would be nice to have low ping for once. And I was thinking it might be DF1 (which I played for about a year), which would be nice to revisit. It doesn't look like that now.

I didn't translate the page myself, but I got my information from someone I know who is a professional translator. It's summarized, obviously. She checked the page and gave me the info about the payment model. From the information that was available on the site at the time I linked it, that was the info on the DF payment model for Korea. She is familiar with signing up for games in Korea. So I stand by what I said, for whatever it's worth. I just reconfirmed that this is still the case as of today.

The closed beta, which you obviously had to apply for, was free if you were selected for it. 

As I said, I don't know what the Japanese payment model will be. I haven't checked the page and I don't have access to Japanese translation for that right now.  It may be free. If anyone can check it out, I'd be interested to know.

Update: The translator called mgame directly to ask whether the game was going to be f2p or p2p, about 10 minutes ago. They said the information on the website is just about the foreign version of DF:UW, meaning the one played now in EU and NA. Therefore, the information on the Korean website is somewhat misleading. 

Yes, this is very strange. The mgame CS representative that she talked to on the phone said they were not exactly sure what the payment model is yet, but that they were thinking it would be f2p since it's the industry trend -- meaning free to download and play -- but that eventually, players would have to buy items, etc. "later on." That is not what the website says as of the time of this post.

When the translator pressed for clarification about the payment model and the decision about what it would be when the game goes live in 9 days, the mgame rep was hesitant to answer -- to say they were going to charge for items "later on." He said he would call her back with the answer. Let's see if this actually happens. I will report if he calls back and what he says.

• xpiherxpiher Indianapolis, INPosts: 3,311Member
    Hey pwnface you should send me a PM with the city you live in. Dfo meet up korea lol

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

Mgame cs rep called back and said "highly likely" the game will be f2p and that they will sell in-game items.

Maybe boosts for prowess? What could they be selling?

• albersalbers BiržaiPosts: 181Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by PWN_FACE

Mgame cs rep called back and said "highly likely" the game will be f2p and that they will sell in-game items.

Maybe boosts for prowess? What could they be selling?

Darkfall 1 didint have prowess?