Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO recommendation

qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170
Hello, I am looking for a MMO with great group content that requires strategy. Would anyone point me to a game that requires a group to work together inside of dungeons using crowd control and strategy to succeed? I am interested in content similar to the old dungeons of classic World of Warcraft when a group would work together to achieve. Does not have to necessarily be fantasy theme but fantasy is welcomed. Looking forward to your suggestions, thanks!

Comments

• DalanoDalano Member Posts: 116

FFXIV seems to be shaping up that way, from a healer's perspective. It's not completely there yet, but it's new.

I've got a cousin that swears that The Secret World's nightmare mode is the most challenging MMO PVE going on at the moment, but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

Playing: FFXIV, EVE

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    Rift and tsw have good dungeons
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    FC has great dungeons in the Secret World and Age of Conan, A+
  • ChochChoch Member UncommonPosts: 157

Check this out.

http://trialsofascension.com/guide/

Read the features of this game and you will be blown away. Kickstarter for this game also starts on Monday!

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170
    Originally posted by goldtoof
    Rift and tsw have good dungeons

My friend just tried Rift and he stated no one used crowd control in dungeons, the tank held them all and people AOE'd the monsters. I am looking for the traditional strategic experience where if some of the monsters on a pull are not CC'd then you will wipe, the tank can only hold 1 - 3 at a time, and dps have to assist. I haven't had any experience with The Secret World though.

Originally posted by DocBrody
    FC has great dungeons in the Secret World and Age of Conan, A+

What is FC?

Originally posted by Dalano

FFXIV seems to be shaping up that way, from a healer's perspective. It's not completely there yet, but it's new.

I've got a cousin that swears that The Secret World's nightmare mode is the most challenging MMO PVE going on at the moment, but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

I will have to read up on FFXIV. Thanks

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    Everquest 2

I would have though EQ2 would have been right there with WoW, AOE zerg fest in dungeons. If this isn't the case, I may try it and see how it has progressed.
  • ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    There's always everquest and vangaurd ....
    Originally posted by Zorgo
    There's always everquest and vangaurd ....

How is Vangaurd doing? I know EQ1 is garbage since PoP was released and continued to become a bigger pile as time went on. I tried Vanguard when it was released but I thought SOE may have ruined the design by now instead of just fixing bugs and performance issues.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by GimiZigi

Check this out.

http://trialsofascension.com/guide/

Read the features of this game and you will be blown away. Kickstarter for this game also starts on Monday!

Perma death is a killer for me. I like open world pvp, and don't even mind if defeated characters are lootable, but perma death is something I couldn't bother with.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by evilprey
    Guild Wars 2 is the best MMO on the market atm since 1 year and probably will be for next years too

In your opinion.

I think it's a solid EXTREMELY casual friendly mmo, with terrible instanced pvp, course most mmo's these days don't know how to do open world pvp right anymore :(

So if you're a very casual player, that can't pay a subscription fee, and don't mind the game not being a seamless world and having instanced pvp bg's and WvsW then it's the game for you.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• jfoytekjfoytek Member CommonPosts: 150

The game that is the best at what you are describing is the Game you already play.... World of Warcraft...

If you want to move on from WoW for whatever reason then you will have to deal with games that have a less polished and refined raiding system....

UO,Shadowbane,SWG,Darkfall,MO,Wurm Online,Secretworld,GW,GW2,PotBS,LotR,Atlantica Online,WWII Online,WoT,Battlestar Galactica,Planetside2,Perpetuum,Fallen Earth,Runescape,WoW,Eve,Xsylon,Dragon Prophet, Salem

Originally posted by jfoytek

The game that is the best at what you are describing is the Game you already play.... World of Warcraft...

If you want to move on from WoW for whatever reason then you will have to deal with games that have a less polished and refined raiding system....

You didn't even read what I wrote .... WoW is horrible now. Dungeons take no strategy to complete. I want to play a tank again where positioning matters, moving targets away from CC'd targets matter .. I want to play a game where people assist and watch their agro ... a game where people time CC properly to allow multiple targets to be crowd controlled on a pull.

People zerg in WoW now ... AOE everything while the tank sits there .... IF someone was to crowd control which they don't ..... the monsters don't mind if one of their friends are CC'd they will just stand there .... how stupid is that! The game is built for the mentally challenged now. My time is limited, I guess I am considered "casual". I don't mind shorter chunks of content but I am insulted to think developers also relate time restricted players with mentally challenged. I like challenge, I want to spend my short time in game doing something fun and challenging.

I think I am going to wait for Wildstar.

• ForeverdreamForeverdream Member UncommonPosts: 141
    what your looking for is age of conan, a true mmo, with difficult dungeons
  • AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476
    As a tank in lotro i have to say that agro is a huge factor.. Be warned lotro is packed full of instance noobs that dont understand the concept of agro and threat generation.. Many a time a high dps player takes agro and gets us all killed.. Like hunters... these guys are mostly key mashing retards. The bane of my tanking experience.
    Wow is THE dungeon running game in terms of both quantity and usually quality, although some dungeons are better than others.

If you want an alternative. Both tsw and Aoc have the quality, right up there with the best wow dungeons, but they lack quantity.

Rift has almost the quality and almost the quantity, its the closest game too wow, other games have tried to copy wow more, but failed. The other thing with rift, when you're bored of the dungeons you can go do the endgame rifts instead. or if you're bored of quests you can get a group and go farm the leveling rifts
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

None of the games mentioned have dungeon that are even close to Vanguards dungeons. Many group dungeons are vast and take days to complete spanning multiple levels. On top of that they are all open world dungeons, no instances dungeons.

This is an old list, they are more in the game http://vanguard.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Dungeons

Vanguard follows the old style of mmoing but has healers that are not your typical healers.

Yeah which is great for people looking for an EQ / daoc / ac pve experience, but not neccessarily what someone looking for a wow like experience would enjoy.
    Yeah which is great for people looking for an EQ / daoc / ac pve experience, but not neccessarily what someone looking for a wow like experience would enjoy.

"Hello, I am looking for a MMO with great group content that requires strategy.  Vanguard

Would anyone point me to a game that requires a group to work together inside of dungeons using crowd control and strategy to succeed?  Vanguard

I am interested in content similar to the old dungeons of classic World of Warcraft when a group would work together to achieve. Vanguard

Does not have to necessarily be fantasy theme but fantasy is welcomed. Looking forward to your suggestions, thanks" Vanguard

Old WOW is based on EQ, Vanguard is as close to old EQ as you can get, are you sure you know what you are talking about?

Wow is THE dungeon running game in terms of both quantity and usually quality, although some dungeons are better than others.

Sorry but EQ2 trumps WOW for quantity and quality.

Originally posted by Foreverdream
    what your looking for is age of conan, a true mmo, with difficult dungeons

Thanks I will have a look
    Savage
    I don't subscribe to the wow is an EQ clone school of thought.

EQ (and daoc, ac & vanguard) are about open world pve with open world dungeons.

Wow is about running instanced dungeons and raids with your guild / friends over a single evening without other people turning up.

Personally I prefer the 1st system, but someone who really likes early wow dungeons, the dungeons in rift, tsw, Aoc and indeed the instanced ones from eq2 are more of the same thing.