Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The first victims of MS Games for Windows Live shut down are...

GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Batman Arkham Asylum and Batman Arkham City.

MS has given Steam DRM control of these games. The victims are your now non-existent save games and possibly your long-format product key.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/200260/announcements/detail/1909817119598626547

Read some of the comments for more info on the product key fuck up.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

The only game I have that runs under GFWL is Bioshock 2, and I used the .dll that lets you run the game without it and save games locally.

Microsoft is so not a gaming company. It's amazing that their entertainment division is the only division in the company that turns a profit. Though, given the irrational brand loyalty people have towards Microsoft, I guess I shouldn't really be surprised.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Holy cats. Age of Empires Online will cease operations as well. That game hasn't even been out that long.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/19/4637694/microsoft-games-for-windows-live-service-ending-july-2014

Why is this not a bigger news thing?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Holy cats. Age of Empires Online will cease operations as well. That game hasn't even been out that long.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/19/4637694/microsoft-games-for-windows-live-service-ending-july-2014

Why is this not a bigger news thing?

Because no one is paying anyone to "cover" it, which should be another huge tip-off to how good "games journalism" isn't.

But they'll do 3 articles/previews for patches for certain games... :P

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Grunty

Batman Arkham Asylum and Batman Arkham City.

MS has given Steam DRM control of these games. The victims are your now non-existent save games and possibly your long-format product key.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/200260/announcements/detail/1909817119598626547

Read some of the comments for more info on the product key fuck up.

I think Arkham City is the only game I own that required GFWL, though I could be wrong about one from a a while back and just not remember it.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

I use GFWL to play Super Street Fighter 4 AE.

The good news is that Ultra Street Fighter 4 will be released (available on Steam) before GFWL shuts down.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by lizardbones

The only game I have that runs under GFWL is Bioshock 2, and I used the .dll that lets you run the game without it and save games locally.

Microsoft is so not a gaming company. It's amazing that their entertainment division is the only division in the company that turns a profit. Though, given the irrational brand loyalty people have towards Microsoft, I guess I shouldn't really be surprised.

I see you post that a lot. Do you have a reliable link to support that claim because I'm pretty sure their business division is profitable and accounts for a huge portion of their revenue.

Office and SQL Server are probably their biggest money makers.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville