Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you youtube dungeons or raids before your first run?

13»

Comments

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

This is why MMOs feel like having a second job.

Study stupid guides and watch other people play on youtube.

If you like to explore the game world, try and fail and try again untill you figure it out, then play single player games.

MMOs are for people in need of a second (or maybe only?) job.

Not eliteist to get upset because other people like to play games not watch youtube videos? Of course it is eliteist.

• Gymrat313Gymrat313 Member UncommonPosts: 154

I will look for a synopsis of the fight before I try it.

I have been using the duty-finder almost exclusively for dungeons and primal HM's. I do it as a courtesy to the random people that I am paired with and so I don't waste the groups time by causing a wipe needlessly. I also do not expect people to tell me what the dungeon is about because that is pretty much the same thing as me going to a webpage to view it.

Basically I just do it out of courtesy, I wouldn't mind busting my head against the wall figuring it out if it was just my time at stake.

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805

i have never viewed a youtube for dungeons. its stupid to do so they are easy enough as it is. spoils my fun.

And i also never youtube a raid before going there. As a tank im more of a lets see what happens kind of guy. Only thing i need is someone to tell me what im suposed to be doing and i will feel my way trough the encounter.

When ToT came out in wow thosse encounters where the best fun i had in a long time. Nobody had a clue about what to do so without looking at skill lists at first we just winged it and observer what was happening. Yes we wiped  a couple times but it was alot of fun trying to devise a plan on how we would overcome the encounter.

When you have to youtube the stuff it becomes a job. because omg if we wipe it is your fault blabla. It takes away alot of Fun.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by EvolvedMonky
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Being the fact FF14 dungeons are timed its bad form not to have watched a guide or read up on the dungeon so you know your job in each fight. I have   /blacklist more then one player who did not care to take time to prepair and because of to many chain wipes we faild to finsh the dungeon. Done!

I know right its not like its a game or anything... Its not like your playing with kids or maybe someone who could be playing there first video game.

No not at all cause your not an elitist, because if you were so l33t you would be in a hardcore FC and wouldnt be playing in a public group with varying degrees of skill and mindset toward games.

So What I have learned from this post is...

1. Most of the ones who cry on how short and easy mmos are.... actually infact take a shortcut if you will and read up on how to defeat the hard challenges and search on the quickest way to achieve cap.

2. Most who complain about no community in current MMOs... Are rude and judgemental holding strangers to a standard of professionalism when this is a game not a paid job. 

My main 2 jobs are Dragoon and Monk, Lately ive been lvling a Glad and a Mar and running low level dungeons even the lvl 15 fish one (satashahahdha whatever) And im pretty much like a tour guide, I show people the areas and explain why we get this key or read this object and for what reason. Ive noticed most tanks dont talk much just mark a mob and speed run a dungeon with everyone else just following his lead and never learning anything....

And as a tank if we wipe repeatidly (I had one group omg i was about to pull my head) I calmed the mood down like a leader and got it done. Explain macros to the healer when we finished and also had to explain interactive objects during boss fights to the dps........  

Call me an elitist jerk but I am in fact a casual player who only gets to play 2-8hrs a week. Last 2 weeks I have gotten to play a few hours and I am unhappy to say that its all been on 1 dungeon over and over again to try and progress my story. Every time I have entered the dungeon everyone in the team but my wife and I do not know the dungeon at all.

I go over each boss in detail but regardless till you see a mechanic someone telling you in text only gives you a very small picture. That being said, we have failed for 2 weeks on every run and its a real pain as a casual player with limited time on my hands to be hindered by players who refuses to take 5 min to get ready to deal with a few bosses. 

This game is fun but the dungeons past level 35 start using raid mechanics to teach people to raid. This is not tank and spank trash mob crap. Level 40 the trash mobs start to get really hard if you dont know your job in the team. People need to start getting ready like they do for any raid in any other MMO. This is hardcore. But what would you know spending the bulk of your time hanging out in level 15 dungeons.  

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711
    For the first run, no, I don't use Youtube.  I'd rather try to figure out the mechanic first.  If we start having problems, then and only then, do I pull up a Youtube video.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • DarkagesDarkages Member UncommonPosts: 96
    No i don't watch the fight mechanics on my first run.
  • xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    Originally posted by EvolvedMonky
    Being the fact FF14 dungeons are timed its bad form not to have watched a guide or read up on the dungeon so you know your job in each fight. I have   /blacklist more then one player who did not care to take time to prepair and because of to many chain wipes we faild to finsh the dungeon. Done!

I know right its not like its a game or anything... Its not like your playing with kids or maybe someone who could be playing there first video game.

No not at all cause your not an elitist, because if you were so l33t you would be in a hardcore FC and wouldnt be playing in a public group with varying degrees of skill and mindset toward games.

So What I have learned from this post is...

1. Most of the ones who cry on how short and easy mmos are.... actually infact take a shortcut if you will and read up on how to defeat the hard challenges and search on the quickest way to achieve cap.

2. Most who complain about no community in current MMOs... Are rude and judgemental holding strangers to a standard of professionalism when this is a game not a paid job. 

My main 2 jobs are Dragoon and Monk, Lately ive been lvling a Glad and a Mar and running low level dungeons even the lvl 15 fish one (satashahahdha whatever) And im pretty much like a tour guide, I show people the areas and explain why we get this key or read this object and for what reason. Ive noticed most tanks dont talk much just mark a mob and speed run a dungeon with everyone else just following his lead and never learning anything....

And as a tank if we wipe repeatidly (I had one group omg i was about to pull my head) I calmed the mood down like a leader and got it done. Explain macros to the healer when we finished and also had to explain interactive objects during boss fights to the dps........  

Call me an elitist jerk but I am in fact a casual player who only gets to play 2-8hrs a week. Last 2 weeks I have gotten to play a few hours and I am unhappy to say that its all been on 1 dungeon over and over again to try and progress my story. Every time I have entered the dungeon everyone in the team but my wife and I do not know the dungeon at all.

I go over each boss in detail but regardless till you see a mechanic someone telling you in text only gives you a very small picture. That being said, we have failed for 2 weeks on every run and its a real pain as a casual player with limited time on my hands to be hindered by players who refuses to take 5 min to get ready to deal with a few bosses. 

This game is fun but the dungeons past level 35 start using raid mechanics to teach people to raid. This is not tank and spank trash mob crap. Level 40 the trash mobs start to get really hard if you dont know your job in the team. People need to start getting ready like they do for any raid in any other MMO. This is hardcore. But what would you know spending the bulk of your time hanging out in level 15 dungeons.  

tbh. Instead of blaming their inability to view something on youtube you shouuld rather blame it on their inability to play the game. The reason i tend to seek out people with a clue and try to group as much as posible with them (luckely i have 3 very close friends with a clue :) ). Doing everything with randoms is not worth the hassle (there are just so many bad people around)

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    I hate how people rely on YouTube for instructions which should be written.  I can read things faster than I can watch a video.  Sometimes, yes, a video is better for showing how to do something.  Take computer issues as an example.  Would you rather watch a 5-minute video showing you how to install something or spend 30 seconds reading how to click the "Next" button and uncheck the adware boxes that the program wants to install with the free program you just downloaded?  That was an overly-simplified example, but people post their entire dungeon runs as a strategy and if I'm only having trouble with a certain boss, I don't want to have to sit through 15 minutes of video just to get the strategy for the one boss.  A text-based instruction delivery method is almost always better than a long YouTube video.
  • It really depends on who I am with if I read up on a fight or watch videos. If I'm with friends they will know if I've never done the dungeon and they're probably going to walk me through it. If I'm pugging something for the first time, I go as DPS. I don't like to watch videos or read tactics - spoils any surprises the boss might have. If I am having serious problems killing a boss then I will look up how other people killed it and compare my strat to theirs. 
  • ZhauricZhauric Member UncommonPosts: 292
    Nope. Rather gain the experience from actually doing it and there is a level of thrill and excitement. Not going to spend a ton of time researching a fight for a game which is for entertainment and fun. I have a job for that. Plus, these things aren't that complicated. I use to do all that youtube, research and crap when I raided seven days a week then realized it was tedious and becoming a second job. As for the whole 'common courtesy!'...it's a game. If someone takes it that serious then they need to get out more. You won't succeed at everything you do. Sometimes you fail, learn from it and go again. Not that big of a deal. If it is to you, then more power to ya.
  • mysticalunamysticaluna Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Never. You want to not wipe you explain the fight to people, that is how it has always been done and should always be. Just kindly point out to people and socialize, that is why we play mmos to actually talk to each other ).