Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will the decline of the PC hurt MMO's??

13»

Comments

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Ozimandeus

With things like Steambox and Steam controllers on the horizon, with Oculus Rift and crap loads of innovative stuff coming on the horizon, the likely victims will be the consoles over the next 5 years.

^ This.

Consoles are the actual dying breed here - this is because tablets and smartphones can easily replace the type of gaming that console provides. And even if they can't (because of the type of controller/peripherals), PC could've easily took care of that.

Thus consoles basically and other such proprietary OS devices that are exclusively developed for gaming have no reason to exist anymore. They can easily be replaced by devices that uses open OS platforms (such as android) or already existing multi-purpose proprietary OS platforms (such as Windows or Mac).

Console therefore IS the dying breed, not PC.

• HardangerHardanger Member Posts: 226

what

ever

• cyriciancyrician Member UncommonPosts: 189

Meh what rubbish ...

I have heard for years the decline of the P.C

This will never happen.....

people are just making their own.

Long live the P.C 

May consoles burn in hell....( Monsterhunter 3  Ultimate players excluded from this comment.)

Current games;
    Star treck online
    Rift
    Eve online
    Firefall

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

The decline in PC sales is because most people who need a desktop already have one and don't feel the need to upgrade it.  Desktops often last a long time.  Smartphones and tablets, not so much.

• BaowoulfBaowoulf Member UncommonPosts: 18

I have to disagree with consoles being the ones dying. There are some games I think are better on consoles just like some games are better on PC.

I prefer FPS on the PC but platforms on the console for one. While a mouse and a keyboard are great and I prefer them for a FPS game. A controller is much better for me at least when say playing a platformer. Also I know you can connect a controller to a PC but it still isn't the same in my opinion. The feel of it just is better on a console just like with a PC and FPS games. Obviously there are exceptions thou. I liked playing the Halo and Resistance series of games.

The main threat is like happened to Nintendo and the Wii. Nintendo had a good hardcore base with the solid games it had on the SNES/N64/GC but then it seemed like they totally forgot about their hardcore base. They may have fixed it later on but I actually forgot they were around after being a fan of theirs having tons of systems and handhelds.

If something does happen it will come from within. Tablets, smartphones pfft they aren't PC's and consoles.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Atrocitus

Massive declining sells of the PC are making news articles columns. The death throes of the pc are in full effect

as the smart phone and tablets take the vacated throne.

Will this switch effect MMO gamers? Is buying a gaming PC going to become difficult?

"Massive decline" in sells of PCs is mith that will not happen. Never ever will that silly tablets, smart phones, .... replace 22" monitors with good pc.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

I feel the 'decline' is mostly those not very tech savy grabbing the tablets/smart phones and it being enough for them. PC gaming as far as I know is actually on the rise (granted maybe I'm talking out my rear end). As mentioned, its less that people aren't having pcs at all as much as more people become tech savvy and are able to 'fix' their own computers easier. I'm sure big companies like dell and hp are losing business as people learn better their systems are generally overpriced and bloated, leading the chance for other businesses to prop up and take sales from them.

Over-all, I just don't see a decline, just an improvement on how much people know about computers. Sure, mobile gaming is rising rapidly, but PC is no where near a decline, if anything I'd say consoles are currently hurting the most.

• sorattasoratta Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by Purutzil

I feel the 'decline' is mostly those not very tech savy grabbing the tablets/smart phones and it being enough for them. PC gaming as far as I know is actually on the rise (granted maybe I'm talking out my rear end). 

I second this part. Prior to the rise of smartphones/tablets, people could only turn to PCs for e-mail, surfing, internet (pre-wifi days), and would have to buy them regardless of how tech-savvy they were. Even then, the people who bothered to upgrade or modify their PCs were the tech-savvy and/or businesses. They might just be comparing PC sales versus that of the increase of smartphone/tablet sales and just went ahead and said that "PC is dying" when it honestly isn't, for reasons already mentioned before.

It just happened that the people who didn't truly need the full spectrum of PC usage can opt for something else that meets their wants/needs.

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    nVidia, AMD, Oculus Rift, and Steam Machines/OS/Controllers are going to blow the roof off this mutha. 2014 is going to be a very interesting (awesome) year for PC gamers. This is the first time I haven't been excited for a new console gen, and IOS/Android games might catch the casuals on the go, but nothing will kill the PC this coming year. Nothing.
  • goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    What decline?

Pc accounted for around 1/3rd of the gaming market 5 years ago.

Today pc is around 50% of the gaming market.

Sure people like dell are selling less pcs, but more people are building their own, upgrading or going independent retailers.
  • SacriaSacria Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by Atrocitus

Massive declining sells of the PC are making news articles columns. The death throes of the pc are in full effect

as the smart phone and tablets take the vacated throne.

Will this switch effect MMO gamers? Is buying a gaming PC going to become difficult?

Come with me I will take you back to where you belong, don't worry the nice men in white will take good care of you...

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

The decline is at office PCs and low-end laptops, which are being replaced by tablets.

Custom-built gaming PC sales have been growing since forever and still keep climbing.

Only thing that might decline is the dominance of Windows as the only viable PC gaming platform.