Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

[Preview] WildStar: Becoming A Mechari Warrior

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe Land of AZPosts: 16,596MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

As part of our continuing hands on look at Carbine's WildStar, we spent some time with a Mechari Warrior during last weekend's New York Comic Con. It's a great preview. Check it out and then let us know what you think in the comments.

For my time at NYCC I chose the Mechari race. I just liked the mechanical look and wanted to play them ever since their announcement a few months back. With limited time on the demo, I chose to randomize my appearance and get started right away. As I entered the world of Nexus the first thing that stood out was the massive power sword. Hopefully Carbine Studios will allow players some customization on this weapon as your level up. It looked great, but orange is not my color. The next thing that stood out was the movement of the Mechari. They seemed to be much slower and more mechanical. David Bass, the Community Manager at Carbine quickly said that they move at the same speed as the Draken and all the other races. The animations are changed to give the Mechari their brooding robotic movement.  This illusion made sense and once in combat I found that the Warriors are quick killers.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's WildStar: Becoming A Mechari Warrior.

Associate Editor: MMORPG.com
Follow me on Twitter: @MMORPGMom

Comments

• ThupliThupli Spokane, WAPosts: 583Member Uncommon

What classes get to use shields?  This is always the most important question for me, since I love the look of shields.

I'm assuming Warriors do?

• TalmienTalmien Hopewell, NJPosts: 78Member
    So far I don't think there is a class using shields. Each class uses one weapon type, and warriors get big two handers, they tank that way as well.
  • Siris23Siris23 Minneapolis, MNPosts: 217Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Talmien
    So far I don't think there is a class using shields. Each class uses one weapon type, and warriors get big two handers, they tank that way as well.

This is correct, though warrior do have some abilities that manifest an energy shield. But no class uses a physical shield that we know of.

• FusionFusion VaasaPosts: 1,391Member Uncommon

10 skills at a given time + variety of weapon choices.... and what a ruckus that made (and still does) in GW2...

Now Wildstar comes with the same execution, but this time with only 1 possible weapon option... isn't that kind of de-evolution?

Currently playing: -

Waiting for: Class4.

Dead and Buried: ESO, NWO, GW2, SWTOR, Darkfall, AO, AC2, Vanguard, CoH/V, EnB, EVE, Neocron, FE, EQ, EQ2, DAoC, FFXI, FFXIV, SWG, WoW, and billions of eastern junks!

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Las Cruces, NMPosts: 354Member Uncommon
    Still waiting on this one. Playing wow for raids and gw2 for PvP to keep in the spirit of what wildstar promises.

• PsychoticHamsterPsychoticHamster Brooklyn, NYPosts: 97Member Common
    Originally posted by Fusion

10 skills at a given time + variety of weapon choices.... and what a ruckus that made (and still does) in GW2...

Now Wildstar comes with the same execution, but this time with only 1 possible weapon option... isn't that kind of de-evolution?

This is so that they can focus on making the animations for each race to look really good. If you think about a game like WoW, all 2 handed melee weapons share the same animations, they're just re-skinned weapons. Basically its a quantity vs. quality situation. At first I didn't like it, but I would give up a lot for good animations/less clipping. Although I am hoping that they will offer skins down the line for different weapon types, or even implementing brand new weapon types at the same high quality that we'll see at launch.

• DemocleaseDemoclease Lansing, MIPosts: 6Member
    Aww man :(, I really want a preview of the esper and scientist path.
    The esper looks super cool but I don't know anything about the scientist path except that you collect data of wildlife and that somehow makes you more powerful.
  • FusionFusion VaasaPosts: 1,391Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by PsychoticHamster
    Originally posted by Fusion

This is so that they can focus on making the animations for each race to look really good. If you think about a game like WoW, all 2 handed melee weapons share the same animations, they're just re-skinned weapons. Basically its a quantity vs. quality situation. At first I didn't like it, but I would give up a lot for good animations/less clipping. Although I am hoping that they will offer skins down the line for different weapon types, or even implementing brand new weapon types at the same high quality that we'll see at launch.

Yes, i know that in most games they're just "skins" / illusions of another weapon type, but in both GW2 and WoW you could atleast wield a variety of combinations, like 2H, 1H + shield, Dualwield. Here it seems you're limited to one exact type of weapon on every class (2H sword for warrior, pistols for gunslinger, claws for stalker and whatever the esper wields).

Also the illusion of variant types of weapon classes, be they just skins or not is more immersive than one would think (atleast for me).

Currently playing: -

Waiting for: Class4.

Dead and Buried: ESO, NWO, GW2, SWTOR, Darkfall, AO, AC2, Vanguard, CoH/V, EnB, EVE, Neocron, FE, EQ, EQ2, DAoC, FFXI, FFXIV, SWG, WoW, and billions of eastern junks!

• Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Harrisburg, PAPosts: 301Member
    I will be playing a warrior and stalker.  I can't wait for Wildstar.  I wish we would get a release (open beta at the very least).  I think we will have a good idea of when this game launces whenever they release the last 2 unknown classes.