Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Client Side Exploit Discovered

2»

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

It's out there. The portion that was mod-edited is all over the web. 

SE has reacted way to slow. Find it, fix it, announce what will be done. Unless it is as nasty and deep as OP originally claimed image

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by bcbully

SE has reacted way to slow. Find it, fix it, announce what will be done. Unless it is as nasty and deep as OP originally claimed image

Point being...it's been out there and was confirmed over two weeks ago.  Granted, you had to actually read the forums to know that - but hey, why read official forums when you can do deep investigative journalism via Reddit!

SE usually is pretty mum about this kind of stuff.  I sort of think they like entrapping players and swinging the ban hammer.

I wouldn't talk much about how I'm fixing exploits either.  I'd vaguely say it's being addressed and leave it like that.  Why would I want exploiters to know how I'm going to stop them?

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Alamareth

Point being...it's been out there and was confirmed over two weeks ago.  Granted, you had to actually read the forums to know that - but hey, why read official forums when you can do deep investigative journalism via Reddit!

SE usually is pretty mum about this kind of stuff.  I sort of think they like entrapping players and swinging the ban hammer.

I wouldn't talk much about how I'm fixing exploits either.  I'd vaguely say it's being addressed and leave it like that.  Why would I want exploiters to know how I'm going to stop them?

Look at what I said. Find it, fix it, announce what will be done, as in how the will damage be fixed. 

I will assume they can find it. If that is true why has step two taken place? If step two has taken place, why haven't corrections been announced?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • LizardEgyptLizardEgypt Member UncommonPosts: 333

This article is really unprofessional, mainly because the reason it's not being discussed and having threads all over the internet about it, is because the people posting it are weird conspiracy white-knights, and because it's being covered up to prevent people from continuing to exploit this hole (Basically the people giving you this information are the same people posting it everywhere and being shut down, I've seen the same user post the same cry wolf in three different locations, it's not credible, even if the issue does exist). It's actually really awful that an official outlet is now spreading this unconfirmed, potentially dangerous bit of information. 

I don't mean to directly insult your article or website, but your own forums are absolutely NOT a source of credible data. 

It's almost the equivalent of alerting the community and dev team about a private server on the official forum for the game, essentially advertising the free alternative at it's official source, and then complaining again about why your complaint thread was removed. 

Currently playing - FF14ARR
    Previous games - SWG, World of Warcraft, ShadowBane, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall, Planetside Asheron's Call, Everquest, Everquest 2, Too many.

• FandinFandin Member UncommonPosts: 55

It's not unconfirmed... and it's hardly news. Or even news worthy. In fact, this just seems to be little more than an attention grab for hits on search engines for the multitude of trackers they allow on this site to make money with.

And at the very least, don't link to a thread that provides a link... to the link... that explains the entire thing. That's like putting out a bowl of candy and telling a kid you don't want them to have any, or explain how to undo the wrapping, but its right there if you want some anyways.

Look at what I said. Find it, fix it, announce what will be done, as in how the will damage be fixed. 

I will assume they can find it. If that is true why has step two taken place? If step two has taken place, why haven't corrections been announced?

It's been found.  Unconfirmed on the fix, but they tend to just lump everything into one "HA GOTCHA" announcement (remember the whole gil removal thing?).

They don't have to say anything more than what they said....that they are aware of it and will handle it.  Follow up with boilerplate about report cheaters, ect. ect.

You seem to expect something that SE just...doesn't do.  It also happens to be something I don't think they have to do.  How they fix exploits should be solely their business.  Just tell me how many people you banned after the fact...

I've done the whole GM thing at one point too...I never allowed anything out about exploit testing and fixing.

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418

This thread is on par with the average tabloid rag on the shelf at your local super market or a TMZ TV program. This isn't journalism. This is just sad.

It's sensationalism. Poor form OP... & poor form MMORPG.com for allowing this to exist.

• LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184

Posting the exploit in a very public way, (such as these forums) does quite a bit of good.  In no particular order:

1. Forces the game developer to address the problem.  Banning exploiters and removing cash address symptoms, not the cause of the problem.

2. Allows gamers to make an informed choice about the state of a game, and the associated risks in subbing.

3. Explains the reason for market forces and inflated prices within the game economy.   

I

Originally posted by Lugors

Posting the exploit in a very public way, (such as these forums) does quite a bit of good.  In no particular order:

1. Forces the game developer to address the problem.  Banning exploiters and removing cash address symptoms, not the cause of the problem.

2. Allows gamers to make an informed choice about the state of a game, and the associated risks in subbing.

3. Explains the reason for market forces and inflated prices within the game economy.   

A) For the last time THEY ALREADY SAID ITS BEING ADDRESSED.

B) Fine, but at least make an informed decision.  This "news" story does no one any services.

C) What inflated prices?

• SimsuSimsu Member UncommonPosts: 386

I don't see how MMORPG.com thinks this is a "news story."

Give me 5 minutes on Google and I could find cheats/hacks/bots/exploits for 90% of the big name MMOs on the market and a pretty good selection of the smaller ones. There are "services" out there who've been offering hack programs for games for years and not once have I ever seen MMORPG.com make a "news story" anything remotely like this in regards to them.

It would be completely different if this story were part of a greater commentary on exploits, had some information showing how the game/players have been effected or had some information from the developer. Right now this has zero journalistic integrity. It's a hack job (and not what I've come to expect from MMORPG.com in the 10 years I've been coming here).

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Seriously?  You are referencing a post in your forums that links to Reddit and calling it news?

Whoa there Giraldo.

SE knows about the exploit, confirmed on 10/1 on the Japanese forums.

Might want to tell LaughingMan that. He seems determined to undermine and question its authenticity.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

However, it doesn't forgive lazily researched information and/or needless fearmongering.  The official forums exist for a reason, to confirm or deny things like this.  It's been beaten to death on the NA forums alone, at least half a dozen threads all with the same picture.  Granted they lock the threads that specifically call out a player, but that is forum moderation SOP.

"needless fearmongering"?

Holy hysterical hyperbole, Batman.

How is it "fear mongering" to make note of a news item; especially one that folks, like yourself, have been doing your best to downplay and cast doubt on since it was first posted about here, making the seriousness of it all the more apparent.

The existence of this specific exploit poses no risk to your account.

Well, if there's no risk to anyone's account, then where does the "fear mongering" come in that you accused the MMORPG.com staff of?

Oh, right. It doesn't. That was just you being hyperbolic in your attempt to - yet again - defend SE for one of their screw-ups.

I realize you and a couple others are in Damage Control Overdrive Mode right now, but you might want to reel yourself in a bit. You're contradicting yourself in the course of a single post.

Edit: What is the deal with this site's forum software? That entire last part of my post was buried inside the quote box.

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Seems  that people upset about this article are awfully defensive.  We wouldn't want your game to look bad or anything right?  Because it does.  
  • KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by Skymourne
    Seems  that people upset about this article are awfully defensive.  We wouldn't want your game to look bad or anything right?  Because it does.  

Seems to me that the majority of the complaints are in regards to the fact that this particular story has zero facts or evidence to accompany it, and regardless of that it was front paged.

It's become a common issue with this site over the last year or so, particularly when Suzie posts "news". It's almost always at least a few days late, is no longer "news", and rarely has any real merit.

Frankly, this site could use some fresh meat in terms of the Staff. Some of the current roster are quite clearly burned out, or just not interested in doing a quality job here any longer, and it shows.

Might be time to move on. Food for thought.

• FandinFandin Member UncommonPosts: 55
    This isn't about the game looking bad. I could not give two hoots about a reboot of a failed game. It seems to be doing ok, aside from this. This is everything about this site looking bad. I've been a long time lurker, and the quality of "News" around here have taken a serious turn down the toilet in the past couple of years. Which is sad, and a little aggravating considering I've seen some real great articles run here in the past.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Fandin
    This isn't about the game looking bad. I could not give two hoots about a reboot of a failed game. It seems to be doing ok, aside from this. This is everything about this site looking bad. I've been a long time lurker, and the quality of "News" around here have taken a serious turn down the toilet in the past couple of years. Which is sad, and a little aggravating considering I've seen some real great articles run here in the past.

Ok, so you're both white knighting, you're only tsk-tsking and shaking the stern finger different organizations.

Quit it out, Mrs. Grundy.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I'm way past caring about bugs, hacks, exploits, dupes and gold buying in MMO's. Cheating is rampant in all PC-based MMO's it would seem. If I enjoy playing the game, that's all that matters.

It gets to the point where you never really know whether the person that "beat" you at something did so honestly, or if they were cheating in one or more ways. Are they really good at the game, or are they really good at cheating in such a way that they are never caught ?

Any fool can use an exploit, it takes true genius to use it and never get caught...

Perhaps the only solution to this is to move all MMO's to console.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

It would be nice to know in what way the game is affected. Is this related to character/level modification, gold/item duping, or other areas?

I'm glad you're reporting on this and hopefully Squeenix will feel pressure to acknowledge a problem.

If they will be successful as they are with gold spammers ... I do not have high hopes. But again, left for good. But as I once loved a lot FF on console I still keep one eye on new posts mainly for any change. But they did so many thing wrong again (imo of course), that I seriously doubt any patch can fix anything.

• SimsuSimsu Member UncommonPosts: 386

Oddly enough this exploit was explicitly talked about in the most recent letter to the producer where Yoshi flatly stated this exploit was not working and the video in question was posted after a fix was in place, but made out to make it look like it was still working.

Lets see if there's a news post from MMORPG concerning this information.