Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOs of the past only shadows of themselves

2»

Comments

• sparepotroastsparepotroast Member Posts: 10

Makes me wonder if there should be like a "camp" for gamers to appreciate how far the gaming industry has gone through.  Most epic games came from old consoles and only (and I don't mean this in a bad way) old gamers know and understand that by heart.

The gaming industries follow what the gamers of today want...and I think it's not heading the good way at the moment. I'm still positive though...I'd like to think this is that declining part of that arc or something...maybe not even declining but just a bit low part.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    Originally posted by Cecropia
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by maplestone

I'm sceptical of nostalgia.   You can reinstall old code, but you can turn back the clock on the world or the player.  From time to time, I'll go back and dig up and old CRPG and play for a while, but it's never the same for me.  They feel clunky and alien compared to the immersive experiences I remember, despite being the exact same game.

And entertainment is always about new experiences.

The African Queen would bore the crap out of a Millenial for that exact reason. One of the biggest parts of the movie was the wildlife shots - something one is inundated with after just a few weeks on the web.

Earlier than millenials.  The name of that movie sounded familiar, went and looked it up.  I recall watching that movie with my mother in my earlier teens more than 20 years ago and it bored me to tears even then. :)

Very revealing comments guys; keep 'em comin' image

I can't decide if this is sarcastic or insulting or not.  On the off chance it is I'll respond.

The comment was about new experiences and as lokto has stated we have seen better river movies, better filming, better action, better sound, more detailed animal, panoramic shots and scenery, more action... in dozens if not hundreds of movies since this was made in 1951.  No doubt it is considered a good movie, especially for the time it was made, however a new experience for us it is not.  Therefore it is dull.

This is the same reason every time I (and many others) go back to old games we don't last as long, they are old experiences.

This is why we don't last as long in basically any mmo, the gameplay has essentially been the same for 16 years.  They are all old experiences with just a few additions.

I remain firmly convinced that this situation will continue until a game fundamentally changes how we interact with games, just as the first MMO involved significantly different interaction between the game and players than many/most other games.

Word image

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ivanj99ivanj99 Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by qombi

It is a shame new generations will never be able to play Everquest or World of Warcraft as they were originally and arguably to some better than the current versions. MMOs drastically change from expansion to expansion, unlike standalone games such as Zelda where my 9 year old son can still enjoy the way it was intended. I will note and he does!

It is similar to making work of arts such as a sculpture from Michael Angelo and over the years rip an arm off, add a gun, remove the head in place for another head etc. I find that sad because I consider some of these original MMOs work of arts lost forever.

I feel developers when expanding upon their game should leave one server behind with the original game on it for those who want to enjoy the game in that state. When another expansion is released leave one more server available with the game + 1 expansion, and so on and so on. The developers could make money with this design scheme. Players who decide to play on these servers could pay to transfer off of them once they decide to and venture on to the next version of the game, be it live or another legacy server.

The developer could even charge a gold membership for access to the live game and the legacy servers. This would allow people to enjoy the game at different times in history with the option to move to live when you choose of course with a cost.

I haven't played live WoW or EQ in about 5 years now I believe because I didn't like the current version of the game. If this design scheme was in place, I would be there playing now and you know what? Would probably have a live character as well to play around with.

Games like EQ1/AC/ [mod edit] are very different still because the community has changed, no longer is it mainly RP/paper D&D communities/LARPers/Nerds, player base is now filled with all sorts of people that generally ruin communities in my opinion, this happened because of advertising to the general public really, and started with Sony's TV advertisements/Blizzards TV advertisements, brought in all sorts of people...

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

I remain firmly convinced that this situation will continue until a game fundamentally changes how we interact with games, just as the first MMO involved significantly different interaction between the game and players than many/most other games.

RPGs (as descended from Ultima I, at least) just don't seem to have much fertile ground left to plant, do they?

I'm comfortable with MMOs going the way of the Dodo, the side-scroller, the MUD, the Arcardes, and SNES....

Bring on the Next Thing (if we haven't already missed it, because we're watching only the rearview mirrors),

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• rainbowdashunicornrainbowdashunicorn Member Posts: 12
    Once you've found your crown jewel, the rest will be just like pieces of copper or silver...or just rocks...something like that.
  • NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Originally posted by bingbongbros
    EQ1 died when SOE released SoL, LDoN, and PoP

Lets not forget Gates of Discord. That was the final nail that killed EQ1.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Icewhite

RPGs (as descended from Ultima I, at least) just don't seem to have much fertile ground left to plant, do they?

I'm comfortable with MMOs going the way of the Dodo, the side-scroller, the MUD, the Arcardes, and SNES....

Bring on the Next Thing (if we haven't already missed it, because we're watching only the rearview mirrors),

But there are plenty of rooms for hybrid, and variants.

Borderlands, Dishonor, and now even Splinter Cell have some RPG elements, and a lot of stories.