Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SotA is just another carebear game

Comments

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

FYI, calling people carebears is a bit, well stupid. The term is thrown around a lot and many of its 'excuses' for it tends to sound more so like someone was looking to 'grief' or 'kill the weaker and cash in on them', you know the type of player who rather the big guy butchers the little guy and pretending it takes skill. Yes, we all know thats what happens and how players with that 'carebear' mentality (at least a good majority who cry about things being imbalanced towards established players). And yes, players know the supposed 'skill' you claim for the system is actually a lie as skill plays very little part in such a system.

None the less, as far as I know much of these 'negatives' as you claim had been stated in the kickstarter to begin with. While I don't agree with everything, it was put up and mentioned.

• PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Originally posted by Aragon100

Important thread so that my old UO hardcore PvP friends dont misplace their money.

I thought that Richard Garriott would be the guarantee to guide this game towards a less trammel influenced gameplay. 

But i was wrong.

In Shroud of the Avatar there wont be any non-consensual risk vs reward gameplay, no consequences. Full loot seem to be out of the window cause the carebears said so.

PvP will be a cardgame where cards pop up on your screen randomly and you have to choose one of these cards. You cant cast the spell that you wanted to cast. Developers call this a skillful PvP system. I call it giving in to the players that seek easy mode PvP. There is even talk about making PvP turn based.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/does-anyone-else-hate-the-proposed-card-system.3128/page-4

So if you seek the next hardcore oldschool UO game just move along cause this aint it.

Maybe its time to step aside, the Care bears rules the gaming industry..Welcome to the New Generation!! Old fart gaming generation is dead..image

I retired retroactively..Haha

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Popple

Important thread so that my old UO hardcore PvP friends dont misplace their money.

I thought that Richard Garriott would be the guarantee to guide this game towards a less trammel influenced gameplay. 

But i was wrong.

In Shroud of the Avatar there wont be any non-consensual risk vs reward gameplay, no consequences. Full loot seem to be out of the window cause the carebears said so.

PvP will be a cardgame where cards pop up on your screen randomly and you have to choose one of these cards. You cant cast the spell that you wanted to cast. Developers call this a skillful PvP system. I call it giving in to the players that seek easy mode PvP. There is even talk about making PvP turn based.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/does-anyone-else-hate-the-proposed-card-system.3128/page-4

So if you seek the next hardcore oldschool UO game just move along cause this aint it.

Maybe its time to step aside, the Care bears rules the gaming industry..Welcome to the New Generation!! Old fart gaming generation is dead..image

Nah. They just need to either accept the fact they'll never again freely farm the sheep who can't fight back, or up their game and play games that have consent-only PvP. You know, where you actually only fight people who are prepared and willing to fight back.

It's a shocking thought to a lot of these "hardcore" PKs.

OP, you claim you weren't a griefer and you only fought other PKs. Can you tell me why you can't just play any of the games that offer consensual PvP, where you will only meet other PKs on the battlefield?

• PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Originally posted by tom_gore

But i was wrong.

Nah. They just need to either accept the fact they'll never again freely farm the sheep who can't fight back, or up their game and play games that have consent-only PvP. You know, where you actually only fight people who are prepared and willing to fight back.

OP, you claim you weren't a griefer and you only fought other PKs. Can you tell me why you can't just play any of the games that offer consensual PvP, where you will only meet other PKs on the battlefield?

Agree..

I am sure if the playing field is level out..No uber gear and no skills and no level the op be crying because he cant gank anyone or he dies to often..I seen a lot of pk ganker cry in Guild wars because they could not go around and pawn anyone..Makes me wonder who the care bear?image

I retired retroactively..Haha

• Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686

But i was wrong.

It is not just about non-consensual PvP. It is also about what type of consensual PvP we will see in SotA.

I think i quote some wise men over at SotA forums cause they explain the problem well -

CaptainJackSparrow point out one of the main problems developers have to solve in these lines and i quote -

"  I think I can answer that now, which was something I didn't catch before. Ok this is how it goes. Right now there are crafter RP types sitting on the fence, maybe they wanna try PvP, maybe they do want to PvP but the problem is they do not want to take risks nor lose their valuable crafter RP type stuffs to us rabid maniacs foaming at the mouth to get their robes and chairs and stuff.

So without the color, basically they want to PvP but in a perfectly safe sterile environment, so by going into OPO and having PvP it is "forcing" them into PvP(which is full loot) they don't want. This is also a very large issue for PvP players, as when we go into PvP we really want full loot, hard core rules for hard core gamers should apply when we go for it.

Two types of PvP players mixed into both the Crafter/RP group and the Rabid/PK group, and this is where the sweet spot will be for the devs to program for. I do NOT envy them, it seems no matter what they end up doing, it is going to cause issues "

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-glass-is-half-empty-a-look-inside-why-people-are-opposed-to-open-pvp-and-full-loot.3140/page-13

This is a problem and it wont be easy to solve.

Many dont understand what non-consensual PvP is. It is not griefing, it is as GimmeUOPls write on the SotA board and i quote - 

" That right there. Right there. It is so painfully clear that you just simply do not get it. Nonconsentual PvP does not equal griefing, it equals an actual role playing game with villains and heros.

People have their option for OPO PvE, why can't we have a seperate option for OPO PvP with seperate characters? How would that force anything on anyone? In my very short time here the only people I see that are trying to infringe on anyone's playstyle are those that are against a PvP version, and I see all of them spreading misinformation saying that somehow we want everyone to be forced to PvP and that nonconsentual pvp is automatically griefing (clearly you don't understand what defines griefing. Clearly.).

NO, we just want it seperate and not just with an on/off switch, for those of us that love the incredible depth that good/evil gives to an RPG when it is put into the hands of the players. "

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-glass-is-half-empty-a-look-inside-why-people-are-opposed-to-open-pvp-and-full-loot.3140/page-12

Solving griefing in non-consensual PvP can be done with a harsh ruleset for them. In UO statloss removed most PK:s and lets take it abit further and you wont see griefing as the one we saw in pre-trammel.

But i was wrong.

Agree..

I am sure if the playing field is level out..No uber gear and no skills and no level the op be crying because he cant gank anyone or he dies to often..I seen a lot of pk ganker cry in Guild wars because they could not go around and pawn anyone..Makes me wonder who the care bear?image

Why dont you read the thread before posting?

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/397921/page/3

Carebear is a good name for all PvE players.

You called me a carebear without knowing me nor my playstyle, huge difference, you made it personal.

I played felluca after trammel and it was nothing like a graveyard, it was more populated then before trammel, I was there.  Were you there? 

That felucca was so unpopulated after trammel is a common lie carebears uses to point finger on how unsuccessful UO was during the non-consensual era and that trammel saved the game. Trammel didnt destroy anything in felucca, the Europe server was more populated then ever and it was actually the best time i had in UO. 

My guild were fighting similar players in chaos/order/factions or we killed PK:s. We often helped new players out when we had the time since we knew that would be good for the game in the long run. So you see i were never the griefing asshole so many carebears fear getting into their game. I really despise the kind of players that seek out the weak, it only make themself weak. We gave them some playerjustice and often it worked very well when they realized there is some better players arround that wont accept my griefing playstyle.

Playerjustice is better then doing it like SotA are doing it. Consensual PvP will remove alot of potential players from the game.

I never saw PK:s as a hard problem after statloss was introduced. They could have made the penalties even worse but instead developers chickened out and created trammel and a split population.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

sota seems to be a minimal morpg, nothing of mmo in it.  it states its a lobby game like diablo on its front page and not an open persistent world, which you would need for pvp in the first place.

lobby + full on carebear carealot land = wasnever made for pvp.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by InsaneMembrane
    Originally posted by charlizd

So what exactly is the problem here? because the game is not catering to the OP's needs it needs to have a pointless thread stating it is carebear because again it is not catering to there needs? People who have backed this game know what they are backing and if they don't then they need to learn to read.

Personally i think SC is doing so well not because it has some risk to PvP but because it is a damn nice looking game, it will have it's crowd of ppl who like it just like SotA.

Again tho i am unsure what the goal of this thread is, is it to try and derail ppl for wanting to play it? is it to try and enlighten peopl eot the fact that it is not a FFA PVP game? what is the point. If people want to know what it is about i am sure they can get off there fat asses and go check for themselves without the OP seemingly just trolling the game.

I believe it is the OP just, what you said begins with T word cos if I say it, I get banned for 48hrs. Thats all.

Yet OP can say carebear all he wants

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Today that is out of the question and reason for that is carebears over at SotA forums jump every PvP thread and want to make consequences less harsh, playerskill less demanding, no full loot and on and on and on. No risk vs reward.

Have you ever been to a party and you can't figure out why nobody wants to talk to you? You probably have. Let me help you with that, it IS you. 

While I can appreciate how you want to play the game, there are a couple of very, VERY big factors that prevent developers from doing that. First, there are obviously more people, who also Kickstarted the project by the way, who would prefer less harsh PvP. Secondly, your absolute lack of respect for other players does NOTHING to help your cause. In fact, a developer would look at this thread and say, "Wow, this type of person is exactly what we DON'T want in our game." It's unfortunate that you've decided to represent the pro-PvP camp in such a negative light because it doesn't do anything except to cast a negative light on them. If you'd like to make the argument for non-consensual PvP, then do it with logical arguments and less name calling. Finally, you can't throw out a relatively accurate definition of what a "carebear" is and then, almost immediately afterwards, say that you just feel like all PvE players should be called carebears. Again, it doesn't help your argument, it just makes you look petty, like a little kid who didn't like how the game was being played so just started calling everyone names. We talk an awful lot about community on this forum and you've given a great example of how the MMO community has become rotten. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• DeVoDeVoDeVoDeVo Member UncommonPosts: 106

You called me a carebear without knowing me nor my playstyle, huge difference, you made it personal.

In a previous thread, a PVPer objected to essentially being called a Sociopath in the Sota forum.  Apparently, some of the people in that forum thought that was a good name for his style of play.

How do you feel about PVErs sticking derogatory names on *your* style of play?  I’m sure they can come up with quite a few.

• AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Originally posted by syriinx

Yet OP can say carebear all he wants

No doubt. But I always compare the use of the word in discussions about mmo's as a variation of Godwin's Law. The one who uses the word has already lost the argument and the discussion from that moment on centers around that word instead of anything substantial, and drags on and on.

It takes one to know one.

Originally posted by cheeseheads
    Originally posted by ste2000

FFA PvP and Full loot are guarantee of player exodus, there is so much people can lose before quitting the game.

You mean like this game?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/

Star Citizen with FFA PvP and full loot seem to do pretty well, dont you agree?

There will be non-consensual PvP and full loot in Star Citizen and it seem to do alot better then Shroud of the Avatar.

How could that be?

im sure Star Citizen is so hardcore with the offline mode.  ya keep telling youself

Well i wasnt talking about offline mode. There is a online mode you know.

• InsaneMembraneInsaneMembrane Member Posts: 130
    Originally posted by DeVoDeVo

In a previous thread, a PVPer objected to essentially being called a Sociopath in the Sota forum.  Apparently, some of the people in that forum thought that was a good name for his style of play.

How do you feel about PVErs sticking derogatory names on *your* style of play?  I’m sure they can come up with quite a few.

[mod edit]

That is not correct, again you are working on outdated information. The community manager FireLotus unbanned that word. And as I have already said, you'd have to understand why they attempted to ban it in the first place. Because people like me and you use it to troll crafters and RP players hard by calling them carebears, I mean that is the sole reason that term is here for.

Again, I please ask you very kindly with no sarcasm at all, and I am not trying to troll you either, I just want you to go and read and post your suggestions over at SotA instead of casting rocks from this forum.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Neo_Viper

If it means the game will have less people insulting others with childish appellations like "carebear" just because they have a different play style and preference than their own, then it can only make this game's community better.

Just saying.

Care bear is my opinion on players that want a risk free game with no risk vs reward and no consequences. And it is a fully accepted term in the MMO community.

Even better, it's moderator-approved, allowing you to flame on without risk of spanking!

The forum equivalent of punching your little brother (but only if mom's not looking).

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by CrazKanuk

Today that is out of the question and reason for that is carebears over at SotA forums jump every PvP thread and want to make consequences less harsh, playerskill less demanding, no full loot and on and on and on. No risk vs reward.

First, there are obviously more people, who also Kickstarted the project by the way, who would prefer less harsh PvP. Secondly, your absolute lack of respect for other players does NOTHING to help your cause. In fact, a developer would look at this thread and say, "Wow, this type of person is exactly what we DON'T want in our game." It's unfortunate that you've decided to represent the pro-PvP camp in such a negative light because it doesn't do anything except to cast a negative light on them. If you'd like to make the argument for non-consensual PvP, then do it with logical arguments and less name calling. Finally, you can't throw out a relatively accurate definition of what a "carebear" is and then, almost immediately afterwards, say that you just feel like all PvE players should be called carebears. Again, it doesn't help your argument, it just makes you look petty, like a little kid who didn't like how the game was being played so just started calling everyone names. We talk an awful lot about community on this forum and you've given a great example of how the MMO community has become rotten. 

There havent been any poll on that and i believe more players then you understand want a oldschool UO game to play.

I am not here to make YOU or any carebear my friend. I reacted to the biased moderators over at SotA that allow certain even worse descriptions of the non-consensual PvP players. Carebear on the other hand isnt allowed over at SotA. There are different rules for the carebears.

I dont want the carebears affecting my game and turn SotA PvP into carebear land. I would never play SotA if the only PvP game available is turned into a PvP game where carebears had the last word -

CaptainJackSparrow point out one of the main problems developers have to solve in these lines and i quote -

"  I think I can answer that now, which was something I didn't catch before. Ok this is how it goes. Right now there are crafter RP types sitting on the fence, maybe they wanna try PvP, maybe they do want to PvP but the problem is they do not want to take risks nor lose their valuable crafter RP type stuffs to us rabid maniacs foaming at the mouth to get their robes and chairs and stuff.

So without the color, basically they want to PvP but in a perfectly safe sterile environment, so by going into OPO and having PvP it is "forcing" them into PvP(which is full loot) they don't want. This is also a very large issue for PvP players, as when we go into PvP we really want full loot, hard core rules for hard core gamers should apply when we go for it.

Two types of PvP players mixed into both the Crafter/RP group and the Rabid/PK group, and this is where the sweet spot will be for the devs to program for. I do NOT envy them, it seems no matter what they end up doing, it is going to cause issues "

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-glass-is-half-empty-a-look-inside-why-people-are-opposed-to-open-pvp-and-full-loot.3140/page-13

You see it as negative the way i describe carebears but you know what, i dont care what you think. You and me will never play the same game and im very glad for that. I play with my 100 member guild and we have a blast in the games we enter. See what i did there, my playstyle is appreciated by my members and having a tight 100 man guild tells me that i dont do so much things wrong or they wouldnt be there.

Do you have such a guild enjoying your gamestyle? I doubt it. 

[mod edit]

That is not correct, again you are working on outdated information. The community manager FireLotus unbanned that word. And as I have already said, you'd have to understand why they attempted to ban it in the first place. Because people like me and you use it to troll crafters and RP players hard by calling them carebears, I mean that is the sole reason that term is here for.

Again, I please ask you very kindly with no sarcasm at all, and I am not trying to troll you either, I just want you to go and read and post your suggestions over at SotA instead of casting rocks from this forum.

So carebear is allowed over at SotA?

Good then i guess they read my thread and finally understood how wrong they treated the ones that favor non-consensual PvP.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

You see it as negative the way i describe carebears but you know what, i dont care what you think. You and me will never play the same game and im very glad for that. I play with my 100 member guild and we have a blast in the games we enter. See what i did there, my playstyle is appreciated by my members and having a tight 100 man guild tells me that i dont do so much things wrong or they wouldnt be there.

Do you have such a guild enjoying your gamestyle? I doubt it. 

When you're a Jet, you're a Jet all the way.
    From your first cigarette, to your last dyin' day.

--#WestSideStory

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Neo_Viper

If it means the game will have less people insulting others with childish appellations like "carebear" just because they have a different play style and preference than their own, then it can only make this game's community better.

Just saying.

Care bear is my opinion on players that want a risk free game with no risk vs reward and no consequences. And it is a fully accepted term in the MMO community.

Even better, it's moderator-approved, allowing you to flame on without risk of spanking!

The forum equivalent of punching your little brother (but only if mom's not looking).

Great point! One could almost draw the conclusion that moderation is completely and maybe randomly subjective.

P.S. - I'm a carebear. I think it's funny and sort of ironic that the carebears have PK'd the griefers in the meta game and booted them. I got some dirty satisfaction from that.

The OP should probably play a game more suited to his tastes like Pathfinder Online. There is a game with free ganking and griefing. It seems just what the OP is looking for.

Why dont you read the thread before posting?

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/397921/page/3

I played felluca after trammel and it was nothing like a graveyard, it was more populated then before trammel, I was there.  Were you there? 

That felucca was so unpopulated after trammel is a common lie carebears uses to point finger on how unsuccessful UO was during the non-consensual era and that trammel saved the game. Trammel didnt destroy anything in felucca, the Europe server was more populated then ever and it was actually the best time i had in UO. 

My guild were fighting similar players in chaos/order/factions or we killed PK:s. We often helped new players out when we had the time since we knew that would be good for the game in the long run. So you see i were never the griefing asshole so many carebears fear getting into their game. I really despise the kind of players that seek out the weak, it only make themself weak. We gave them some playerjustice and often it worked very well when they realized there is some better players arround that wont accept my griefing playstyle.

Playerjustice is better then doing it like SotA are doing it. Consensual PvP will remove alot of potential players from the game.

I never saw PK:s as a hard problem after statloss was introduced. They could have made the penalties even worse but instead developers chickened out and created trammel and a split population.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Have to clarify what one considers 'risk versus reward' here, because that doesn't seem to be a condition that can only be met through player competition.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Calling someone a carebear isnt allowed over at SotA forums but saying you have a mentally disorder and need professional help cause you enjoy a different playstyle with risk vs reward and consequences is allowed. Thats why i made that thread.

Moderators over at SotA are biased. They favor the carebears for some reason. There is different rules for these different playstyles.

If carebear was a allowed word over at SotA then that thread would never have been made. They brought it on them themself.

So carebear is allowed over at SotA?

Good then i guess they read my thread and finally understood how wrong they treated the ones that favor non-consensual PvP.

lol you don't deserve to be treated any better than you are. Expecting kid glove treatment is exactly where the carebear definition stemmed from - people didn't want to have the bad consequences of pvp so they asked for kid glove pvp. You just lost the pvp match at sota. Deal with it. It's amazing how many gankers and griefers are really carebears in disguise, expecting some special treatment when they don't get their own way. Sometimes you win in pvp and sometimes you lose. This is like permadeath, just for your pvp style is all.

Your right that is the name of the thread.

Originally posted by Deivos
    Have to clarify what one considers 'risk versus reward' here, because that doesn't seem to be a condition that can only be met through player competition.

I consider that risk vs reward. Add consequences as full loot to it and its pretty much as it should be.

Explain what in carebear world you would consider risk vs reward, im interested.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

In PvE, risk vs reward would be the same as anywhere else. effort and cost can be as much of a factor wherever you go.

For example, you say full loot PvP, and the PvE equivalent already exists in the form of corpse runs to recover your stuff. You can modify that equation by letting NPCs wield your equipment, and that gives the double effect of having to recover your gear while at a loss, and bridge the gap of retaking it from a foe as if a person had taken it.

Your premise is built on the notion that the problems one faces in PvP is functionally any different than that which one would face in PvE, and not realizing that both are bound to the exact same subject of what rules define the overall game.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Originally posted by Deivos

In PvE, risk vs reward would be the same as anywhere else. effort and cost can be as much of a factor wherever you go.

For example, you say full loot PvP, and the PvE equivalent already exists in the form of corpse runs to recover your stuff. You can modify that equation by letting NPCs wield your equipment, and that gives the double effect of having to recover your gear while at a loss, and bridge the gap of retaking it from a foe as if a person had taken it.

Your premise is built on the notion that the problems one faces in PvP is functionally any different than that which one would face in PvE, and not realizing that both are bound to the exact same subject of what rules define the overall game.

Yes there is effort but there is no risk, just rewards. And there is very little consequences.

Corpse runs usually mean you run to a body that never decay or you just have your loot on you when ressurect. 

In the PvE world some games use insurance to lower the risk loosing anything. I can go on alot longer but there is a huge difference.

• Dwarfman420Dwarfman420 Member Posts: 207

Pvp in UO =

Reds - pvp spec'd/geared

hunting

Blue players -  pve spec'd/geared trying to pve.

roflmao

w/e 2 hardcore pvp in UO

what a joke

• g0m0rrahg0m0rrah Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Originally posted by TiamatRoar
    Originally posted by Zajjar

We try so hard to incorporate reallife and realism into mmorpgs, yet, the thing the entire earth is evolving around is PVP.

I praise the day, we get an adventure mmo, where u claim what u kill.

I dunno, I haven't PVP'd a person in real life in like, 16 years, so I wouldn't say my real life revolves around real PvP. 

This statement is pretty absurd.  Every time you apply for a job, get in an argument, drive your car in traffic, ebay, place an offer on a house, you engage in PvP.  We are constantly competing for resources, land, etc.

I do not understand why people hate risk vs reward so much when it comes to video games.  If it comes down to choice, then risk vs reward options are a good thing.  NPC content becomes stale and must constantly be evolved to make things interesting and involving.  With PvP, varied character development and varied player skill keeps you guessing and I find this kind of combat much more interesting.