Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR....the money maker...

From its very conception SWTOR was designed to make as much money as fast as possible.  It was over-hyped by all the computer magazines.  I wonder how that could happen?     During beta it was getting great reviews from the magazines,  but poor reviews from the beta testers.  I wonder how that could happen?   During beta I could see that SWG was far better mmo than SWTOR.  That did not matter because SWG had already been killed off so Star Wars fans would only have SWTOR to play.    During beta I could see that SWTOR was designed for the casual player.  Just enouph content to get the casual players money.   Everything was handed to the player during drops so this made crafting worthless.   During beta all of us testers complained thier was not enouph content. We also complained the space part of the game was a joke.    We told them the game was not that fun to play.    Management did not care. They were going live after only 2 weeks of beta testing.  Even if the game was a mess they knew it would bring in large amounts of money because it is Star Wars.   When the game started failing they went to free to play so they could wring out a little more money from the players. I would not be surprised if a sequal to SWG was already being planned so they can kill SWTOR and make even more money. Only this time they will have Pledge Packages so they can get the players money before they have to develope any content!!

Comments

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by RexGarvin

From its very conception SWTOR was designed to make as much money as fast as possible.  It was over-hyped by all the computer magazines.  I wonder how that could happen?     During beta it was getting great reviews from the magazines,  but poor reviews from the beta testers.  I wonder how that could happen?   During beta I could see that SWG was far better mmo than SWTOR.  That did not matter because SWG had already been killed off so Star Wars fans would only have SWTOR to play.    During beta I could see that SWTOR was designed for the casual player.  Just enouph content to get the casual players money.   Everything was handed to the player during drops so this made crafting worthless.   During beta all of us testers complained thier was not enouph content. We also complained the space part of the game was a joke.    We told them the game was not that fun to play.    Management did not care. They were going live after only 2 weeks of beta testing.  Even if the game was a mess they knew it would bring in large amounts of money because it is Star Wars.   When the game started failing they went to free to play so they could wring out a little more money from the players. I would not be surprised if a sequal to SWG was already being planned so they can kill SWTOR and make even more money. Only this time they will have Pledge Packages so they can get the players money before they have to develope any content!!

Uhh 2011 called they want their rage post back

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Too late for a reboot. I'll wait for a new SW MMO along the lines of SWG or just play Star Citizen
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    I think the game is alright.  it's just not for everyone.  you can only blame them so much for marketing the game to the masses.  ultimately is the individuals decision to buy or not.
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Here we go again, another ¨why swtor is not SWG2¨ post. But you are right in something, they are making a lot of money with the cartel market, i know people spending more than $1000 in cartel packs just to get a mount, a special armor or item, but is all cosmetic stuff that you can get with ingame credits, and all that money is helping them to make new content and stay on track with the 8 weeks content update plan. I mean we got the 2.4 updatea a few weeks ago, and the 2.5 with space update in 8 weeks or so.    

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    Originally posted by hikaru77

Here we go again, another ¨why swtor is not SWG2¨ post. But you are right in something, they are making a lot of money with the cartel market, i know people spending more than $1000 in cartel packs just to get a mount, a special armor or item, but is all cosmetic stuff that you can get with ingame credits, and all that money is helping them to make new content and stay on track with the 8 weeks content update plan. I mean we got the 2.4 updatea a few weeks ago, and the 2.5 with space update in 8 weeks or so.    

So new content every 3 to 4 months? Nothing impressive, some actual games give content every two weeks... for free.

My computer is better than yours.

• IridescentOrkIridescentOrk Member Posts: 157

I remember back in the days if you said something negative about this title, you would be market as an heretic around here. Now, about the beta testers, the ones that think they are special, guess what, you are not. I am glad I beta tested this piece of garbage and uninstall it after the reality check. The bext big IP, TES. I got the popcorn ready.

gameplay > graphics

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by PWN_FACE

I'm starting to think any kind of big IP that goes mmo is just going to be less than satisfactory in the long run. Let's see what Pathfinder becomes, but I am pretty certain there will be more Pathfinder loyalists who are disgruntled with that game than are satisfied, by far, for whatever reasons. I think it sounds pretty cool because I don't play Pathfinder pnp and I'm not a Pathfinder fan per se. But what I've heard of the game on it's own merits sounds like it will be cool if the devs can pull it off. 

I am cautiously optimistic about TESO, but there will be (and have been) lots of gripes about how it strays from the core of what TES is all about.

The difference between an IP like Pathfinder or TES and SW is that the former two are already games with certain rules and gameplay mechanics. SW is just lore, so BioWare was free to do whatever they wanted with it. Putting the few disgruntled SWG fans aside, SWTOR was judged on its own merits and the judgement was far from positive.

• maxima29maxima29 Member Posts: 203
    [mod edit]
    I stand corrected, it's 2 to 3 months indeed (lately).

• Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301
    [mod edit]

You must be joking.  GW2 two week content is not equal to most mmos content patches.  2 weeks from now, GW2 getting new cash shop items and a quest.  YES!!! Super awesome mmo that provides so much content.....and takes it away.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Like all EA games OP.

• C.L.O.U.DC.L.O.U.D Member UncommonPosts: 365

So...you got made that a marketing company marketed a game...then it didn't live up to the hype that was created by those companies. Gee, don't think that has ever happened before, you just might be on to something.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by PWN_FACE

I'm starting to think any kind of big IP that goes mmo is just going to be less than satisfactory in the long run. Let's see what Pathfinder becomes, but I am pretty certain there will be more Pathfinder loyalists who are disgruntled with that game than are satisfied, by far, for whatever reasons. I think it sounds pretty cool because I don't play Pathfinder pnp and I'm not a Pathfinder fan per se. But what I've heard of the game on it's own merits sounds like it will be cool if the devs can pull it off. 

I am cautiously optimistic about TESO, but there will be (and have been) lots of gripes about how it strays from the core of what TES is all about.

LOTRO, draw your own conclusions, but I would say it didn't live up to what was hoped for by community or devs as a game or from a business point of view.  Same for SWG, regardless of how cool a game you think it was. I think it was pretty good even in it's debased form at the end of its life. But that doesn't mean it was successful.

And none of the IPs I've mentioned really comes close the the level of Star Wars, except maybe Lord of the Rings. 

Original IPs are where to look for new and creative games that might do something to take the mmo world by storm. Let's see what the future brings. Big-time IPs are mostly likely going to be money first and gameplay second, lowest common denominator affairs. Let's see.

LOTRO was on the verge of being great several times, and it still is one of the better themeparks on the market today, IMO.  It has soul, and it feels/plays like LotR should, but it has been mismanaged and expansions have been weak.  I'm not even a big sandbox fan, and I still find this game more enjoyable than anything that has come out for the last few years.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Originally posted by Sho0terMcgavin

You must be joking.  GW2 two week content is not equal to most mmos content patches.  2 weeks from now, GW2 getting new cash shop items and a quest.  YES!!! Super awesome mmo that provides so much content.....and takes it away.

Misinformation at its best. GW2 puts out more new content over time than any other actual MMORPG, and for free. The associated cash shop items are all 100% cosmetic and optional.

The fact that you like the content or not, you personally, is irrelevant here.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by apocoluster

From its very conception SWTOR was designed to make as much money as fast as possible.  It was over-hyped by all the computer magazines...... [snip]

Uhh 2011 called they want their rage post back

Yes indeed.  It's a bit late in the day to point the finger at SWtOR now!  :D  

The plain fact of it is that ALL of the F2P games are designed to make as much money as possible.  Just look at them - Aion, EQ2, Secret World, you name it... they all do it.  The vast majority of people realise this from Day One and harbour no illusions about it, but some people have an Epiphany well after the fact, finally cotton on to the fact that F2P is out there to make as much money as possible and seem to think the rest of us don't actually get it.  

We do. We really do.  Those people who spend almost nothing in-game?  That's us. 

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

From its very conception SWTOR was designed to make as much money as fast as possible. 

Name an MMO, particularly an AAA one that wasn't made with this goal in mind. Face it, all big publishers care about is the money. SWTOR has actually been notoriously bad as a money maker.

Bioware tried to make a single player RPG and tack on MMO aspects to it. You can't really blame them, single player RPGs are what they're good at (Dragon Age 2 aside). But SWTOR just ended up as a below average RPG mixed with a bad MMO which pleased virtually no one.

Originally posted by MindTrigger

... it feels/plays like LotR should ...

Definitely not agreeing.

During Shadows of Angmar, I would have agreed to some extent. The game was really feeling like LotR, despite some already important lore digressions, like hobbits running all over the place tanking orcs, elves having a drink at the Pony, Loremasters were quite off-limit too, and Angmar rising again is just totally against LotR lore. The game still felt like Middle-Earth enough to be enjoyable by a Tolkien fan.

Then came Moria...

- We get Mines of Moria brighter and more colored than a disco singer's outfit.

- We get Runekeepers, farting more lightning than an angry Sith Lord in Star Wars.

- We get ridiculous goat mounts... yes, even for elves.

- Elves get turned into pincushions without any pity by they fellow Lothlorien elves unless they grinded some reputation.

- Dwarfs run freely in Lothlorien after grinding the same reputation...

That was the beginning of the end when it comes to "feeling/playing like LotR should". Later came even more silly stuff, like e.g. a group of random adventurers entering Orthanc and "defeating" Saruman.

LotR is now just another generic fantasy MMORPG. It's no long true to Middle-Earth, except the location and NPC names. When I want Middle-Earth, I watch Jackson's movies (extended of course!), even with all their digressions from lore, they still feel 1000x more like Tolkien than LotRO nowadays.

I consider SW:TOR to be closer to Star Wars lore than LotRO will ever be from Tolkien Lore again.

Originally posted by Neo_Viper

Misinformation at its best. GW2 puts out more new content over time than any other actual MMORPG, and for free. The associated cash shop items are all 100% cosmetic and optional.

The fact that you like the content or not, you personally, is irrelevant here.

Funny, same could be said about your opinion.  I play GW2 casually.  That content you speak of is swallow and at the end of the day nothing special.   Other then one or two patches.

I removed the insulting parts in my quote.

What in my post is opinion? That GW2 puts out more content over time (aka over the same period of time) than any other actual MMORPG? When another games release content ever two months, GW2 will have released 4 content patches. For free! 100% free, no hidden costs, no need to pay a cent to access that content. That's not opinion, that's hard facts. That the cash shop items are 100% optional? Again, hard fact, not opinion.

And as I said, your opinion about the content is irrelevant, as is mine. No matter what we think about it, it is content. Or shall we also dismiss any (e.g.) raid content if we happened to dislike such content? Shall I say that SW:TOR's content is shallow and nothing special because they added some raid?

Definitely not. Content is content, no matter if you like it or not. Up to you to choose the game which content suits you best. Being vegetarian doesn't mean the steak house is not selling any food.

Anyway, my point when mentioning this was that there were other games out there without any subscription which have way less greedy cash shops than SW:TOR or even LOTRO, and that provide massive amounts of content for free at very short intervals. And the SW:TOR guys already removed some restrictions of the free version after massive player uprising, like e.g. the limited amount of hotbars. SW:TOR is definitely out there to milk as much money as possible by literally forcing players to purchase convenience UI features that even games like LOTRO didn't dare to make people pay for.

EDIT and PS: Since this thread has been moved, just know that I would never have posted in it if it wasn't initially posted on the "Pub" forum. I think it's an important precision for the readers, since the thread moved from a general discussion forum to a game specific forum.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

With an investment like that, can you really blame them for trying to make good on what is probably their biggest mistake ever? They should never have tried to make an MMO out of what they had. They saw WoW and thought "OMG look at the amount of money they're making of subscriptions with crappy graphics like that! We'll just make a SW version of that game and everyone will start paying us subscription money! We'll make a fortune!".

Alas they didn't (and probably still don't) really have a clue what MMO's are about. They should have stuck to doing what they are/were good at.

imageimage
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by DocBrody
    Too late for a reboot. I'll wait for a new SW MMO along the lines of SWG or just play Star Citizen

Definetly.

I played Wing Commander many years ago, and I liked it a lot.

Star Citizens could be just as good.

SWTOR deserve to rot in hell.............. with EA if possible

• Masonic1Masonic1 Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by maxima29
    Originally posted by ste2000

Definetly.

[mod edit]

how can you insult someone who had his game taken away?

you don't understand how much work we in the swg community put into swg only to have it robbed from us.

• FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336

People have been bashing TOR into the ground for YEARS!  I'm not really sure what this thread is adding.

The horse is dead..... Stop hitting it. Just bury the damn thing and move on.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    Originally posted by Masonic1
    Originally posted by maxima29
    Originally posted by ste2000

Definetly.

[mod edit]

how can you insult someone who had his game taken away?

you don't understand how much work we in the swg community put into swg only to have it robbed from us.

To be honest, you played a video game based on an IP. The video game was not making enough money to satisfy the holder of that IP. The game was shutdown because that IP holder (Lucas) and the producer (SOE) agreed to do so. The decision was "mutual". You were not "robbed".  You never "owned" anything. You simply were a "user" of software that you enjoyed.

Btw, communities / guilds survive game switches all of the time. My brother in law has been playing with the same group since EQ1 days (through WoW - AoC - SWToR).  They will most likely migrate to ESO next year. The bond is between people in the community not in the game.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

From its very conception SWTOR was designed to make as much money as fast as possible.  It was over-hyped by all the computer magazines.  I wonder how that could happen?   ..

I wonder much more why you and others like you bother so much with game that are obviously not playing and have obviously not played?

• bobdole1979bobdole1979 Member Posts: 210

From its very conception SWTOR was designed to make as much money as fast as possible. 

i'm sorry did I miss something?

Is there a video game that is NOT designed to make as much money as fast as possible?  Even indie games are designed to make money as fast as possible. 

This discussion has been closed.