Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

C.R.E.D.D. (Poll and Discuss)

2»

Comments

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

IMO, buying gold is cheating.  Pure and simple.  If you play a single player game and you open a console and give yourself resources, health, unlocks, whatever - you are cheating.  They're called cheat codes for a reason.  Buying gold is the same thing, but it's worse since you are paying to cheat (since cheating is pretty weak to begin with so paying cash to cheat is...lame beyond words).

In a single player game, nobody cares if you cheat - it's your game, do whatever you want.  In a multiplayer game, it's a different story.

Facilitating cheating is bad enough in F2P games where they're doing pay to win.  In a game with premium box price and premium subscription price, it's ridiculous to also facilitate cheating just to skim a little extra off the top.

Play to win.  If you can't, don't play.  Simple.  If you can't be bothered to play the games and the only way you can get thru them is to buy your way thru with cash, then just don't play.

Why is it a big deal for a game like an MMORPG?  Because MMORPGs are all about loot, doing stuff, finding stuff, EARNING stuff - by playing the game - not by throwing cash at the game because you're too much of a scrub to be bothered to play.

My accomplishments don't have as much meaning if I know some loser in the area just bought his character, or bought his loot, or buys his way thru the game with gold.  I don't want to have to even consider that people around me might be so gutless and worthless that they can't even bother playing the video games they buy and pour extra cash into buying their game data and game accomplishments too.

If you don't actually want to PLAY the game and are just going to buy your way thru it...why even bother playing?

MMORPGs moreso than most games are about time.  If you don't have the time to play as much as you want...bummer.  Play less and accept that it'll take you longer to get stuff, or play games more suited to your limited time.  Cheating and buying your way thru the game is only an option for losers.

I really don't care about PvP and think all MMORPG is lame, grief filled garage ...but some people DO care about PvP.   Doesn't it bother you that YOU might work hard to be good at PvP and EARN your rewards just to face off against some scrub that just fired up the game today and bought someone else's geared account and bought a bunch of new items with cash...then slaughtered you without even knowing how to play just because they threw extra cash into the system?  Yeah...that's quality there.

I mean, RMT has been considered cheating in MMORPGs since there were MMORPGs.  So if it's ok for gold selling to occur if the hosting company is the one skimming profits instead of a third party, then it must be ok for people to buy and sell accounts and indulge in all other forms of cheating.  And if cheating is acceptable now, why not let people use client hacks, speed hacks, and everything else?  Crank up your botting software, make gold in your sleep, and sell it to some sucker for CREDD to pay for your sub.  Garbage.  You can't just say that ONE form of cheating is now somehow ok and everything else isn't, right?

The saddest thing to me in regards to CREDD is that WildStar looks like a potentially cool game.  Very cool even.  They're going with premium pricing (box and sub).  They don't need to facilitate gold buying to skim a few extra bucks - even though NcSoft is publishing and is amongst the royalty of MMO sleaze.  It's also a weak copout to dealing with RMT in-game; instead of dealing with RMTers, bots, and all the related junk, they will BE the junk.  It's just a weak angle for a game selling a supposedly premium product to take.

For me, I don't condone cheating of any kind.  I guess it's also sad to me that so many players DO condone cheating and/or cheat themselves.  Dunno if it's the internet or what that has lead people to just care less and exhibit or tolerate crap behavior.  But for me having CREDD in WildStar makes the game unappealing, because I don't want to play a game where I KNOW that players are cheating WITH HELP FROM THE COMPANY THAT RUNS THE GAME.  I grew to feel the same way about gems in GW2 (an idea that seemed cool at first but is ultimately ANet facilitating cheaters) and I lost respect for Trion over REX in Rift (even though I had and gained tons of coin in Rift and got $100+ stuff thru their store without spending anything because of selling to cheaters) and it's one reason I lost interest in Rift.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• DaessarDaessar Member Posts: 204
    Originally posted by Voqar
    But for me having CREDD in WildStar makes the game unappealing, because I don't want to play a game where I KNOW that players are cheating WITH HELP FROM THE COMPANY THAT RUNS THE GAME.

Thank you for showing everyone that you have no idea what you are talking about. If you do end up not buying and playing the game, which I highly doubt,  then it will be better for the Wildstar playerbase in the longrun.

• itsTortitsTort Member UncommonPosts: 125
    I personally don't care either way. Both CREDD & a cosmetic cash shop are whatever. It just gives the Developers more money to work with, to bring us a better game. Just so long as the cash shop doesn't include any power, life is good. Buying CREDD from another player, and making a bit of gold off it doesn't bother me either, as there aren't really any MMOs these days where buying items with gold can make you the most powerful, only give you temporary power for a few levels.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Ramonski7
    I'm not to thrilled about the CREDD system honestly. Why introduce a currency and cash shop to appeal to a gamers impulsive side if you are using the sub model anyway? 

Because ten years ago UO proved it was a sound strategy. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ColdMadnessColdMadness Member Posts: 7

Alright, I'm looking forward to the release of Wildstar, but I'm still sceptical about the CREDD system. According to the official explanation people who want to buy things for gold but don't have the needed amount  can buy  one CREDD for like 17$. But what is gonna actually make them buy CREDD?

I mean, let's take mounts for example. In most mmorpgs you can purchase a mount once you've reached the needed lvl. Usually you have already enough gold to do that. So for the CREDD system to work well there have to be faster mounts which can't be purchased right away if you don't want to buy CREDD. 

What about gear? Well, as far as I know there is gonna be bound gear like in WoW. So you can't even spend your 17$ on better gear when you've reached the endgame. 

What do you people think about that matter? 

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

Too early to tell, but I will look at it from a subscriber perspective and CREDD does not affect the game in anyway.

This allows a game to have a hybrid payment system which seems similar to allowing a p2p game and a f2p/b2p game.

If a person wants to not sub they can still play the game, and its not cheating... in fact it could be argued the other way that its cheating the subscribers by not giving them enough reason to sub.

The problem is one the game borders on f2p, the f2p players want to have a f2p experience that borders a p2p expereince. The proposition that is cheating is ignoring how to have p2p and a f2p system integrated.

So by simply saying it is cheating and not maybe saying to for example how to pay for an MMO service is an ignorant complaint. Its also very complicated to come up with a suggestion, so while it is important to express an opinion, and if there is enough opinion to influence a decsion then that is great, but to complain and think its actually cheating is not even logical. Its not cheating, but maybe its a system that many do not like and want an alternative. I myself would prefer the game to be b2p, and sub based for something that is more exclusive for pvp and pve with dev interaction in the server. That is something for example I would like to see implemented as a payment model... but maybe that is too risky, and thus unfeasible.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• EaglertEaglert Member Posts: 12
    As a gold buyer (both in games where it's legal and affiliated through game systems and through 3rd party websites), I'm glad that Wildstar will be having the CREDD system. It will likely reduce the number of bots and exploiters in the game who are trying to profit off of selling gold because the bought CREDD can't be resold for real-life money. If the game can turn gold buying into an additional way for more people to join the community and pay for free, that sounds great!
  • RPGForeverRPGForever Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Better from the developers than from other people, they are moving on the right direction.