Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else happy with the MMORPG genre?

124»

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by ZombieKen

Am I happy with the MMORPG genre?  I don't play the genre, just individual games.

I have a couple games that I play semi-regularly, and I'm happy with them.  Overall, most of the games in the MMORPG genre don't appeal to me, so I don't play them.  That's fine since I enjoy the ones that I do play.

The way I've come to look at things, the genre could be doing great, or the genre could be going to crap, but either way it's not really my problem.  If something releases that looks good, I'll check it out.  If not, I don't really care.  It's not worth the stress getting frustrated over entertainment.

This ^^^^

Like any entertainment genre, some MMORPGs are fun to me, some are not. And at the end of the day, they are just entertainment products.

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415

I am happy with the games that evolved (and are continuing to evolve) from the mmorpg genre.

The classical mmorpg? Just about as dead as EQ1 (which is to say, clinging to dwindling relevance in relative obscurity) and PnP and MUDs and Arcades and DOOM clone shooters.

The mmorpg "genre"? Played out and done, stick a fork in it.

Welcome to the future; the next genre to evolve, already in progress, with or without the reader.

Our website may want to begin seeking a new domain title...though I suppose it's a matter of waiting for the next Big Dog advertiser to name it with a new acronym. "MMORPG" is something that marketing is (already) seeking distance from.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Antiquated

I am happy with the games that evolved (and are continuing to evolve) from the mmorpg genre.

The classical mmorpg? Just about as dead as EQ1 (which is to say, clinging to dwindling relevance in relative obscurity) and PnP and MUDs and Arcades and DOOM clone shooters.

The mmorpg "genre"? Played out and done, stick a fork in it.

Welcome to the future; the next genre to evolve, already in progress, with or without the reader.

Our website may want to begin seeking a new domain title...though I suppose it's a matter of waiting for the next Big Dog advertiser to name it with a new acronym. "MMORPG" is something that marketing is (already) seeking distance from.

Yeh.

I am very interested in games like Destiny and Division. Whether they are called MMOs or not is irrelevant to me.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by Kopogero
    At least the WOW killer didn't happen so I could go back to WOW and enjoy PvP. I did save a lot of $ by not being attracted to new MMORPG since DCUO (January 2011, for $35 with promo).

WOW did bleed subs and it was a wake up call. Now they fighting to keep the remaining subs at all cost, which is a good thing.

I also believe there won't be another Pandaria, Narnia or any new expansion with another big dragon to slay unless Blizzard is truly suicidal.

Paying $15 for PvP is obvioslly a ripoff, but Blizzard deserves it for the MMORPG they created and maintained and they are still improving it. They abandoned "Titan" and are focused on WOW more than ever in my opinion. With directx 11 enabled and SSAO the graphics look as good if not better than modern MMORPG's.

Bottom line, I'm happy with the state of the MMORPG genre. Bad MMORPG's dying and good ones remaining and improving, nothing new here. Now at least they are dying quicker than ever as the MMORPG market becomes more experienced with the genre.

Only MMORPG that captures my attention right now is Star Citizen (mainly based on word of mouth, but with it's budget it won't be the next WOW). Everything else like Everquest Next (which I really hope for the best) will flop hard for not truly understanding the concept of sandbox with the way its combat is designed.

Are you promoting WoW or actually trying to say something different lol

And whats up with WoW been DX11 are you kidding or did i miss something did they upgrade the whole warcraft frozenthrone engine which is even based om dx8 and upgraded for dx9 and xp to new frostbite-crytek-unreal4 nex gen engine or what?
    So WoW have have tessalation now?

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• dorugudorugu Member UncommonPosts: 184

its a pretty good genre pity theyve mostly chosen 2 listen 2 th ppl tht treat it as a race 2 max lvl.

the exploration of the world is a part of th game not to rush to end game atleast it is fer me

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    Considering that my preferred game is a 2006 version I somehow found access to... no.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Antiquated
    I am happy with the games that evolved (and are continuing to evolve) from the mmorpg genre.The classical mmorpg? Just about as dead as EQ1 (which is to say, clinging to dwindling relevance in relative obscurity) and PnP and MUDs and Arcades and DOOM clone shooters.The mmorpg "genre"? Played out and done, stick a fork in it.Welcome to the future; the next genre to evolve, already in progress, with or without the reader.Our website may want to begin seeking a new domain title...though I suppose it's a matter of waiting for the next Big Dog advertiser to name it with a new acronym. "MMORPG" is something that marketing is (already) seeking distance from.
    I actually agree about the direction (not necessarily "better"). I do not see the "genre" heading backwards to the smaller numbers (and lesser monies) anytime soon. Players today (who did not like the old MMORPGs) just do not want that kind of experience. They want FPS, action combat games that are handled much better in many other genres.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR