Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pathfinder Online: Salvaging, Harvesting, Gathering, Oh My!

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The latest Pathfinder Online developer diary has been published on the official site. This time the team tackles the nitty gritty of crafting-based activities including salvaging, harvesting and gathering.

Salvage

We've simplified the salvage items concept since our earlier post on this topic. We may still eventually add a system to salvage crafted items, but that has some hard-to-predict effects on the economy, in addition to requiring a fairly complex system to figure out what you should get out of an item (since they're made out of a lot of variable-quality refined items). So, that's going to come a little later.

In the meantime, salvage items are very similar to a raw material: You can give them to someone with the appropriate refining skill and they can use them just like a unit of raw goods. A refiner might throw a goblin's armor scraps in with a bunch of ore to get enough to make an ingot. Unlike raw materials, salvage items are more likely to count as two different components (for example, those armor scraps might count as ore for the smelter but leather for the tanner).

Read more on the Pathfinder Online site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Is there an estimated date that this game is going to be released at or is it completely unknown? I get the feeling that this game won't be out until at least 2016...

Smile

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062

Just found this on the site link.

"Our team is on schedule to begin Early Enrollment in the 3rd quarter of 2014. Between now and then we're focused on getting to that initial playable game for Early Enrollment. Early Enrollment itself is expected to run for about 18 months. We should be ready to begin unrestricted territorial warfare in the first quarter of 2016"

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    Is there an estimated date that this game is going to be released at or is it completely unknown? I get the feeling that this game won't be out until at least 2016...

See above. They're providing an "MVP" Minimum Viable Product for Early Enrollment. These blogs are currently fortnightly updates.The mmorpg.com staff have been quick on this week's posting I see.

So the result is faster delivery and slower scaling up of features/systems. There's the risk of soft launch / agile development hell but for a budget mmorpg it's starting effectively as a smaller game for a smaller playerbase with regular updates and limited uptake of new players as it's the only way it would ever see the light of day under such budgetary constraints.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

MMO take time if you people  keeping rushing, you will get the same trash we have been , wish people would stop worring about release dates .

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Darkcrystal

MMO take time if you people  keeping rushing, you will get the same trash we have been , wish people would stop worring about release dates .

I wasn't "rushing" anything. I was genuinely curious to know if there was estimated release date for the game.

Smile

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Giantbomb site says Q1 2017 but doubt thats official

info from Paizo

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2pj2m?How-Long-Will-Early-Enrollment-Last-Before

Ryan Dancey CEO, Goblinworks
    Our current plan is that we'll begin Early Enrollment in Q3 of 2014, and Open Enrollment in Q1 of 2016.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Following mmo's is just wishing your life away. in 2016 nobody will care about this game.
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    I hope they keep encumbrance as detailed in an earlier blog entry. It will make it much more interesting to try and take down a caravan if you can't actually carry the wagonload worth of goods in your invo due to weight.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275
    This game will save sandbox mmo's from a life of obscurity.
  • MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Originally posted by ignore_me
    I hope they keep encumbrance as detailed in an earlier blog entry. It will make it much more interesting to try and take down a caravan if you can't actually carry the wagonload worth of goods in your invo due to weight.

You betcha ass they are keeping that: In this blog they mentions caravans are a future blog post.

Originally posted by nerovipus32

Following mmo's is just wishing your life away. in 2016 nobody will care about this game.

Agree the dev cycles are too long. But EE is Q3 2014 and *touch wood* GW have to stick to that to be on budget. I also think smaller mmorpgs with smaller budgets and playerbases are the way forward for that particular problem. Who knows maybe MMOs will all go Oculus Rift in 2016 and be played on Steam Boxes with motion control combat?! ;)