Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: New Expansion Taking Flight in December

Comments

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by Grand_Nagus
    Still does not fix the problem with the space combat.  It needs to be completely redesigned.  I don't know anyone that plays this game that does space missions.  Sure there are some, but they are a tiny minority.  Allowing pvp with these ships is just a joke.  Trying to justify all the customization options.  You would expect this design in a 90's game, not something trying to be contemporary.

This IS a complete redesign. It never ceases to amuse me how people comment on articles that they havent even read x)

I beg to differ.  They just took their bad design and took it off the rails.  Big deal.  SWG had a better design 10 years ago which is a lifetime in this industry.  Stop trying to make this something it is not.  EA is not going to commit the money to fix this, hence you just get mediocre changes that impress few.

This will not bring people back to the game.

Pretty much this. I believe some people aren't true Star Wars fans or never played SWG because otherwise there is no way you could look at SWTOR and say it was a great game. Boring linear progression, space that doesn't do the Star Wars IP justice, and an obvious lean towards cinematics vs. good gameplay features.

Some people will remain in denial forever though. They'll even go as far as saying SWTOR is one of the best MMORPGs out there (hilarious right?).

Smile

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    Originally posted by RebelScum99
    Still does not fix the problem with the space combat.  It needs to be completely redesigned.  I don't know anyone that plays this game that does space missions.  Sure there are some, but they are a tiny minority.  Allowing pvp with these ships is just a joke.  Trying to justify all the customization options.  You would expect this design in a 90's game, not something trying to be contemporary.

This IS a complete redesign. It never ceases to amuse me how people comment on articles that they havent even read x)

I beg to differ.  They just took their bad design and took it off the rails.  Big deal.  SWG had a better design 10 years ago which is a lifetime in this industry.  Stop trying to make this something it is not.  EA is not going to commit the money to fix this, hence you just get mediocre changes that impress few.

So, taking a space mini-game rail-shooter and turning it into a free form PvP dogfight isn't a complete redesign of the space missions?  Some people are very hard to please, I guess.

My issue isn't with the re-design.  In fact, I like what they did with the space system.  I would have preferred free-form exploration, but we knew that wasn't going to happen.  But this is a very nice change.  My beef with it is that this is the ENTIRE expansion.  No new planets.  No continuation of the class stories.  Just the space re-design.  As nice as that is, I can't understand how they can consider this an actual expansion.  

SWTOR was released nearly two full years ago.  Pre-release, I remember Daniel Erickson (I believe) talking about how easy it would be to continue to add content in the form of new planets.  In fact, he made it sound like we would be bombarded with new planet after new planet.  Two years later, we've had two expansions, and a grand whopping total of ONE new planet added to the game.  One.  New.  Planet.  

I think they're bringing updates at a good rate, but they aren't bringing in enough new content, unless you consider changes to the cash shop new content.  

The last update added another Planet Oricon and two new Operations. As for the content, most people on the official forums tend to think they are doing at a very good rate. We have got tons of operations over the last couple of years along with 2 planets and stories. I am quite pleased with it as well.

• maxima29maxima29 Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by Razeekster

Pretty much this. I believe some people aren't true Star Wars fans or never played SWG because otherwise there is no way you could look at SWTOR and say it was a great game. Boring linear progression, space that doesn't do the Star Wars IP justice, and an obvious lean towards cinematics vs. good gameplay features.

Some people will remain in denial forever though. They'll even go as far as saying SWTOR is one of the best MMORPGs out there (hilarious right?).

The haters can talk until their blue in the face. It does not matter what they do you haters will cry about it. If swg was the almighty grail of MMOs or even star wars game it would still be available. How can mature grown adults still cry about a video game two years in? How do grown mature adults cry about a video game they don't play? At what point do you move on?
  • skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    Originally posted by Razeekster

So, i clearly listed out how this is nowhere close to Space PvE without the rails and you still go and agree with the guy who Falsely and Ignorantly claimed otherwise. Just shows how you wanna deny the truth so that you can continue hating a game which you don't play but which so many others seem to enjoy while going forward to insult those people who are having fun. You need to sit down and look at your life.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by skyline385

So, taking a space mini-game rail-shooter and turning it into a free form PvP dogfight isn't a complete redesign of the space missions?  Some people are very hard to please, I guess.

My issue isn't with the re-design.  In fact, I like what they did with the space system.  I would have preferred free-form exploration, but we knew that wasn't going to happen.  But this is a very nice change.  My beef with it is that this is the ENTIRE expansion.  No new planets.  No continuation of the class stories.  Just the space re-design.  As nice as that is, I can't understand how they can consider this an actual expansion.  

SWTOR was released nearly two full years ago.  Pre-release, I remember Daniel Erickson (I believe) talking about how easy it would be to continue to add content in the form of new planets.  In fact, he made it sound like we would be bombarded with new planet after new planet.  Two years later, we've had two expansions, and a grand whopping total of ONE new planet added to the game.  One.  New.  Planet.  

I think they're bringing updates at a good rate, but they aren't bringing in enough new content, unless you consider changes to the cash shop new content.  

The last update added another Planet Oricon and two new Operations. As for the content, most people on the official forums tend to think they are doing at a very good rate. We have got tons of operations over the last couple of years along with 2 planets and stories. I am quite pleased with it as well.

I stand corrected, then.  Hadn't realized they added a new planet in the last update.  That's good to see.  

• Acebets70Acebets70 Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Didnt have to bring fuel to this fire, this game is made of balsa wood!!!
  • HellCasterHellCaster Member UncommonPosts: 234
    This is a nice addition to SWTOR and a good motivation to invest in improving my ships. Maybe this will give birth to new off-rails PvE group and operational space missions.

Playing: varies every day it seems.

• Originally posted by HellCaster
    This is a nice addition to SWTOR and a good motivation to invest in improving my ships. Maybe this will give birth to new off-rails PvE group and operational space missions.

i wouldnt start buying the gear for your class ships just yet.  looks like we will be using seperate starfighters that will likely have their own upgrades.

there will also be a seperate leveling and prgression system for them

EricMusco

2nd Digital Expansion | 10.08.2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elminster_cs View Post
    Can you explain what:

"Maximum leveling and progression"

does it mean? We will able to level this ships?
    Although I cannot go into specifics yet, what I can say is that there is a system of leveling and progression for Galactic Starfighter itself, and just like the rest of SWTOR, subscribers will get a bonus to that progression.

-eric

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by guy232
    SWG JTL absoutly sh**s on this thing.   they are trying to beat a dead horse but tis done man.  

SWG doesn't shit on anything anymore.  

Which is worse: swg's JTL shited on swtor's PVP space before it was even born, lol

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

It has been confirmed there will be no PvE missions in this expansion:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6824326#edit6824326

That means if you are a PvE player, you are going to be stuck with the same sucky space combat you currently have.

I'm surprised they did PvP only. Not sure why they didn't give the PvE story loving audience some love.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

I may be reading too much into it, but it looks like "multiple combat roles" means: Choose one of three ships: "healing ship", "tanking ship" or "dps ship". Maybe I'm wrong.

Looking at this makes me long for SWG: JTL. That was an entire MMO unto itself, living in harmony with the core SWG MMO. This looks like another instanced warzone that you pop into from wherever you were standing; a fully detailed mini-game. But that paradigm fits with the game at large. Hopefully it's what everyone was hoping for in the space expansion. It's not for me.

• GMan33GMan33 Member UncommonPosts: 79

That is an expansion? Wow. Talking about taking a word and crapping on it. Expansions were always about expanding the game in many different areas of the game.

This just one area, thats catered to just one type of gameplay.

Too bad i wasnt in charge of this game, id bring it back from its never ending useless updates that never cator to the core reasons why the masses left.

Continue to enjoy this failed excuse of an mmo.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

Loved the story in SWTOR. Hated the PvP. Dislike the boring and grindie missions they give you at max level. I don't care for f2p in general. Really disliked the tunnel shooter that was their pve space game.  And lastly, this looks like it is 3rd person pov....NO THANKS!

If I am wrong on that "3rd person pov" statement then I will just say wait and see. I have yet to see otherwise.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• Dward127Dward127 Member Posts: 46
    so this is pvp on rails?
  • jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    No, free form flight. Looks similar to Xwing vs tie fighter which was the best space combat game ever.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• Maleus666Maleus666 Member UncommonPosts: 75
    If I played this game for 5 hours was much. Blargh game.

Go to hell!

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Maleus666
    If I played this game for 5 hours was much. Blargh game.

Well, then please keep your comments to yourself.... only playing a starter planet means you have no idea at all what this game is all about

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• WildscrapperWildscrapper Member Posts: 15

Well this looks ans sounds great.Cant wait to try it out.

Also nice to see subs getting a headstart and that also

preferred status and F2P players get something.

Everyone i talk to is by default a moron so the only valid opinion is mine.joking

• pwainpwain Member UncommonPosts: 115
    wow that's nice.  Occulus Rift support and SWTOR = win.
  • JRonnie1976JRonnie1976 Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Originally posted by jpnz
    No, free form flight. Looks similar to Xwing vs tie fighter which was the best space combat game ever.

Sorry, but as someone who put a lot of hours in to the Xwing games, this really doesn't look 'anything' like Xwing v tie fighter.  This reminds me far more of the space combat in Star Wars Battlefront II.  Fun side game, but certainly dumbed down space combat from the xwing series.

Originally posted by JRonnie1976

Sorry, but as someone who put a lot of hours in to the Xwing games, this really doesn't look 'anything' like Xwing v tie fighter.  This reminds me far more of the space combat in Star Wars Battlefront II.  Fun side game, but certainly dumbed down space combat from the xwing series.

Course this is factually correct since we haven't seen the SWTOR Space expansion in its entirety yet. /Facepalm

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642
       If it has no PVE then I wont be getting it,
  • WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

This is not an expansion it is a content patch.  I really dislike it when normal meanings for things are used for "in my opinion" marketing spin.

If GW2 or WoW called everything they did expansions the whole house of cards would fold and no one would understand what was what, it would in the words of Vork "be utter chaos".

At least the swtor dev team are making an improvement though all be it a "patch".

Originally posted by Wicoa

This is not an expansion it is a content patch.  I really dislike it when normal meanings for things are used for "in my opinion" marketing spin.

If GW2 or WoW called everything they did expansions the whole house of cards would fold and no one would understand what was what, it would in the words of Vork "be utter chaos".

At least the swtor dev team are making an improvement though all be it a "patch".

According to this logic, EVE never had 'Expansion' packs.

Gdemami -

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Originally posted by Wicoa

According to this logic, EVE never had 'Expansion' packs.

Correct, however EVE is a different type of game entirely. I would argue the only thing connecting EVE with  GW2, WOW, SWTOR etc is the word MMORPG.

I would argue that when EVE calls something an "expansion"  the content drop is on quite a large scale, usually involving a whole bunch of content, bug fixes and amazing graphic (engine) upgrades.

Plus SWTOR isn't really competing with EVE is it? SWTOR's competitors imo call patches like this, well, patches. I stick to my point that the market it competes in labels things like this differently.

I am a skeptic but I believe in my opinion on this.