Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A modern Star Wars sandbox is there for the taking

124»

Comments

• AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Its possible swg was exactly that.. The space was awesome too.
  • jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    I too wish the star trek holodeck could be built by a 'just do it' slogan and a piece of string.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

you guys need to let that shit go.

i was a huge fan and disappointed tremendously. i didn't do business with SOE for years after that fiasco.

feel free to miss it all you want, but for gahd's sake quit inflicting it on the rest of us, please.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Between The Repopulation and Star Citizen (and even Elite: Dangerous) the sci-fi niche is filling up. All stuff SW could have done and still been under the SWTOR budget.
  • Yyrkoon_PoMYyrkoon_PoM Member Posts: 150
    Originally posted by apocoluster
    Originally posted by RogueTroopa

None of this old republic nonsense. Huge numbers would welcome a gorgeous looking New Republic Star Wars Universe set in the era we truly want. Total sandbox. Yes we had galaxies but that's dated. 

I want to sit in the Cantina Bar at Mose Eisley deciding on my course of travel to another planet, I want to jump to light speed being chased down by a star destroyer, I want to visit Hoth and set up my dwellings, I want to visit Alderan and see the Jawas, I want to stow away on a cargo ship and infiltrate the Death Star . 

Become a rebel or enlist in the empire and find your own destiny. Explore a massive Star Wars universe. 

Why the hell haven't we got one???????????

Round up about 6 billion dollars ( im sure Disney would only sell at  profit) and you can do whatever you want with the IP  :)

You have never dealt with the Mouse .... it is all about control.  In the end you will build their game, on their schedule, make no money, and you will like it.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    In the post-EQNext world this may be a possibility. If the dynamic world of EQN works out well, there could later be a sandbox MMO based in the trilogies. The limiting factor is that EA has the rights (probably for a long time), so any such game would come from EA.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• KyBoKyBo Member UncommonPosts: 140

Star Wars Galaxies was a decent attempt to do exactly this...for its time.  SWG had plenty of bugs, as well as design and gameplay flaws, that always held the game back.  The attempt to "modernize" the game (the NGE) was a poor attempt at addressing the gameplay issues, and it blew up in SOE's collective face in as spectacular a fashion as any game company has seen to date.

LucasArts, intent on recreating the success that Blizzard had with WoW, pushed SOE to move forward with the NGE over objections from rank and file programmers.  When the NGE failed miserably, LucasArts went to Bioware, who had a great reputation from the KoTOR series, to make a WoW-esque MMO that would succeed where SWG had failed.  EA stepped in and spent over $500 million to buy out Bioware in order to get the lucrative license.  SWG was left to die a long, slow death while Star Wars: The Old Republic was in development.  As soon as SWTOR was ready to launch, SWG was finally ordered closed.

And that is what happened to your open-world Star Wars MMO.

At best, SWTOR was not the smash hit Electronic Arts was expecting.  EA is not likely to drop $200+ million ($700+ million if you factor in the cost of buying out Bioware) to build a Star Wars MMO again anytime soon.  Since Disney gave the company the license to make Star Wars games, no other company will be making an open-world Star Wars MMO either.

There is still some level of hope.  Star Wars: 1313 was originally planned to be a sort of "Grand Theft Star Wars," where players would operate across a large game space like Grand Theft Auto and SWG.  The game morphed a number of times until LucasArts was closed last year.  If a new open-world Star Wars game were to be released in the next 5-7 years at least, this would be the most likely form.

Other than that, you can wait for either the Pre-CU or post NGE SWG emulators to be finished.  The Pre-CU version is playable now, and progress is moving along at a decent pace.  You can log into the post-NGE emu, but there is no combat or transportation at this point.