Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A modern Star Wars sandbox is there for the taking

Comments

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG
    Originally posted by skyline385

Because game limitations. You can not simply put everything in a game. Have you thought about this at all?

If you are gonna randomly warp anywhere in space you need a full detailed galaxy for it. Ever seen X series? It only has space exploration and has almost non-existant textures and graphics and yet the game is over 8GB just for the space design...

It just can not be done in today's standards.

Not true. Not true at all.

Even with the limited technology Frontier: Elite was able to full system galaxies and able to jump anywhere. SWG was doing some of that was well, not to mention EVE is doing it on a massive scale.

You hypothesis is wrong. You don't render every single object in a space game/mmo. Generally they use the coordinate system and render only what the player can see at any particular instance in time. This is fact. It is written in papers about game development if you google it.

Read the full post please and don't take parts from my post to re-frame it into something i didn't mean.

I already mentioned Elite and all but the fact is that they are full time space games. They don't have planets, dungeons, etc.

Also, you need to read it carefully as well. I never said about rendering the whole Universe which is impossible. I said the whole universe must be modeled so that wherever you warp to, the game is able to model that on your arrival. That's what i said, no game will be able to render a full universe or world at once. They all gradually load it while you are moving, that's no rocket science. Anyone who thinks otherwise shouldn't be talking about game development.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

The Star Wars IP is not a good basis for an MMORPG. Both MMORPGs that have been based on this IP have had serious flaws with regard to the Jedi. They are super heroes. They should be OP. So, everyone has to be a Jedi or nobody can be a Jedi. If you play mix and match where non-Jedi can compete with Jedi, then you really don't have Jedi.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Because game limitations. You can not simply put everything in a game. Have you thought about this at all?

If you are gonna randomly warp anywhere in space you need a full detailed galaxy for it. Ever seen X series? It only has space exploration and has almost non-existant textures and graphics and yet the game is over 8GB just for the space design...

Even with the limited technology Frontier: Elite was able to full system galaxies and able to jump anywhere. SWG was doing some of that was well, not to mention EVE is doing it on a massive scale.

You hypothesis is wrong. You don't render every single object in a space game/mmo. Generally they use the coordinate system and render only what the player can see at any particular instance in time. This is fact. It is written in papers about game development if you google it.

Read the full post please and don't take parts from my post to re-frame it into something i didn't mean.

I already mentioned Elite and all but the fact is that they are full time space games. They don't have planets, dungeons, etc.

Also, you need to read it carefully as well. I never said about rendering the whole Universe which is impossible. I said the whole universe must be modeled so that wherever you warp to, the game is able to model that on your arrival. That's what i said, no game will be able to render a full universe or world at once. They all gradually load it while you are moving, that's no rocket science. Anyone who thinks otherwise shouldn't be talking about game development.

Your point is still invalid because if you read David Braben's paper and notes he DID NOT modelled that whole universe back in Frontier:Elite. A lot of it was calculated.

Do you realise how many star systems was in Frontier:Elite in WHICH you can enter atmosphere or skim gas giants? All of them that has planets. And how big was that game? only like a couple of  MBs. That should tell you that the information of star systems is NOT that big itself, it is the graphics that were taking up the space the other additional elements.

Even back in Origin's Space Rogue (which is even more primitive then Frontier: Elite) the planetary position and rotation around the sun's was kept by the game- everytime you travel back to the system it is in a different position and is time accurate. All these smart guys like David Braben, Paul Neurath and Chris Roberts has figure out ways to deal with these a long time ago.

It is not even remotely impossible. It just takes some smarts. There are always ways to go around things.

You don't seems to know space sims as much as you made out to be and just trying to find excuses for not doing things while there wasn't one.

• SabbicatSabbicat Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Originally posted by RogueTroopa

None of this old republic nonsense. Huge numbers would welcome a gorgeous looking New Republic Star Wars Universe set in the era we truly want. Total sandbox. Yes we had galaxies but that's dated. 

I want to sit in the Cantina Bar at Mose Eisley deciding on my course of travel to another planet, I want to jump to light speed being chased down by a star destroyer, I want to visit Hoth and set up my dwellings, I want to visit Alderan and see the Jawas, I want to stow away on a cargo ship and infiltrate the Death Star . 

Become a rebel or enlist in the empire and find your own destiny. Explore a massive Star Wars universe. 

Why the hell haven't we got one???????????

Sign me up.

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Originally posted by Sabbicat

None of this old republic nonsense. Huge numbers would welcome a gorgeous looking New Republic Star Wars Universe set in the era we truly want. Total sandbox. Yes we had galaxies but that's dated. 

I want to sit in the Cantina Bar at Mose Eisley deciding on my course of travel to another planet, I want to jump to light speed being chased down by a star destroyer, I want to visit Hoth and set up my dwellings, I want to visit Alderan and see the Jawas, I want to stow away on a cargo ship and infiltrate the Death Star . 

Become a rebel or enlist in the empire and find your own destiny. Explore a massive Star Wars universe. 

Sign me up.

This.

Except for the Jawas on Alderaan part. That would be immersion breaking. Unless... they have Flying Sandcrawlers that Time Travel! See? A solution has been found!

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Yeah, would be awesome, would love it etc. Not going to happen though etc. Cant do shit about it.

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

I imagine a game of that magnitude is too ambitious for most development studios now. The maintenance and bug squashing must be a ridiculous drain given the numerous game systems and depth.

The poor management of the SWG product and the NGE debacle will be the games legacy instead of both (a) how amazing the game was and (b) how the developers made the best of the NGE and actually turned it into a fun game again. That perceived legacy will steer most studios away from taking similar risks. The sheer glut of MMOs on the market with their cookie cutter systems just shows that there's a proven formula for profit. No one - except for maybe the Repopulation - is willing to try.

I'm all in for the Repopulation! Anyone who loved pre-CU SWG should absolutely read up about this indy MMO.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Cecropia
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Because most players want to play Jedi fighting sith with light sabers instead of sitting in a virtual bar planning travel?

Sounds like some quick shits and giggles; like a nice fighting game. But why in the world would anyone want that in an MMORPG when it could be soooooo much more? That would just be careless and wasteful. Silly.

You don't understand not everyone in the world like the "so much more" as you do? People have different preferences. What is silly is that you think your is the "correct" one.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

The Star Wars IP is not a good basis for an MMORPG. Both MMORPGs that have been based on this IP have had serious flaws with regard to the Jedi. They are super heroes. They should be OP. So, everyone has to be a Jedi or nobody can be a Jedi. If you play mix and match where non-Jedi can compete with Jedi, then you really don't have Jedi.

I don't disagree. In fact, TOR would probably be a much better game if it is not a MMO.

However, if you have to make a Star war MMO, you may as well give players what they want. I doubt most players would choose playing some bartender over a Jedi, or a bounty hunter.

Your point is still invalid because if you read David Braben's paper and notes he DID NOT modelled that whole universe back in Frontier:Elite. A lot of it was calculated.

Do you realise how many star systems was in Frontier:Elite in WHICH you can enter atmosphere or skim gas giants? All of them that has planets. And how big was that game? only like a couple of  MBs. That should tell you that the information of star systems is NOT that big itself, it is the graphics that were taking up the space the other additional elements.

Even back in Origin's Space Rogue (which is even more primitive then Frontier: Elite) the planetary position and rotation around the sun's was kept by the game- everytime you travel back to the system it is in a different position and is time accurate. All these smart guys like David Braben, Paul Neurath and Chris Roberts has figure out ways to deal with these a long time ago.

It is not even remotely impossible. It just takes some smarts. There are always ways to go around things.

You don't seems to know space sims as much as you made out to be and just trying to find excuses for not doing things while there wasn't one.

I am guessing English isn't your first language because you still can't understand what i am trying to say. And what i said was that putting a Space sim in a classic MMORPG is impossible because of the work involved. It will be like 2 different games in one where both already take 5+ years to build.

• TheRealBanangoTheRealBanango Member UncommonPosts: 89
    People need to slow down with all the negativity. The only reason this can't happen is licensing, it's not because it's a niche market or it's going to take 80 years or any if this nonsense we don't know about...because that's the thing, we don't know. So instead of complaining why don't we use out brains and think of creative solutions to the obstacles we encounter in making a game like this.

Designing an mmo is complex, requires a big team, and many hours, yes, but should that stop people from making it? It obviously hasn't, because even with the tremendous amount of resources required, there are still people passionate enough to make the games that you play. /end

Maybe different parts of the galaxy are in fact different servers so when you warp to a different star system, the game actually puts you into a different server, account information could be stored into a USB drive so that no matter where in the galaxy you are, or what server, your character stays the same.

See I hypothesized a solution (granted a bad one) but now someone that knows more than me can comment about it...
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

Star Wars blows!!   It died with Jar Jar Binks.  Unless its possible Abrams can resurrect it.  

More likely is that we will see a Next Gen console game made like they did with Star Trek and just about every other big summer blockbuster  movie.   Don't get your hopes up for an MMO anytime soon.

Something based on Firefly would be more appealing to me.  A little grittier and hard edged world, where you have to learn to trade and survive on your wits, seems more challenging than just whacking everyone with light sabers.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    According to this thread's logic, 'creating the Star Trek Holodeck is easy! Just.. put some smart people onto it!'

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

until a company that is very competent with mmorpg development and no greed over their head gets the SW license we will never see what the OP wants. I would say if Rockstar had mmo knowledge they could make an awesome GTA-esque Star Wars sandbox mmorpg. I dont like real world inspired mafia stories so i dont like GTA but a fantasy or sci fi world build like a GTA or Prototype type of game could be what we need in mmos when it comes to the openness of the maps (no invisible walls),  freedom and interaction with the world around you. Add a very indepth crafting and Throw in some mass effect-esque important decision making that affects the world around every player and youll have an mmo worth playing and paying for.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Rockstar touching ANYTHING online is an absolutely god-awful idea.

Hello? GTA-Online?

HELLO?!!

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Originally posted by rojo6934

until a company that is very competent with mmorpg development and no greed over their head gets the SW license we will never see what the OP wants. I would say if Rockstar had mmo knowledge they could make an awesome GTA-esque Star Wars sandbox mmorpg. I dont like real world inspired mafia stories so i dont like GTA but a fantasy or sci fi world build like a GTA or Prototype type of game could be what we need in mmos when it comes to the openness of the maps (no invisible walls),  freedom and interaction with the world around you. Thow some mass effect-esque important decision making that affects the world around every player and youll have an mmo worth playing and paying for.

GTA is barely the game the OP is dreaming of. Because of budgets and time constraints only one of the three things below are possible.

1) A huge seamlessly connected region as found in GTA V and WoW and many other huge MMO games. These itself take over 5 years to develop along with a gigantic budget.

2) A huge fully modeled galaxy as seen in Elite Dangerous and X series with warp jumps and complete freedom to roam and explore which again takes more than 5 years and a hefty budget.

3) A compromise between the 2 above as seen in SWTOR with lots of medium sized region and dungeons connected by fixed space travel and simple cut-scenes. The budget to do a hybrid itself was crazy for SWTOR.

What the OP wants is a complete mixture of (1) and (2) without any compromise which is just impossible by today's standards. In the future, definitely since technology keeps on improving but right now we don't have it to undertake such a massive project.

This is not like landing on the moon where we will get years of funding in Billions of dollars from the government without any pressure to get the money back through commercial success.

Originally posted by jpnz

Rockstar touching ANYTHING online is an absolutely god-awful idea.

Hello? GTA-Online?

HELLO?!!

i said if they had knowledge of mmos. I am still pissed with them for not fixing the hacker problem in Max Payne 3 on PC. But if they knew how to handle mmos im sure they would have better control of their online stuff.

Originally posted by rojo6934

until a company that is very competent with mmorpg development and no greed over their head gets the SW license we will never see what the OP wants. I would say if Rockstar had mmo knowledge they could make an awesome GTA-esque Star Wars sandbox mmorpg. I dont like real world inspired mafia stories so i dont like GTA but a fantasy or sci fi world build like a GTA or Prototype type of game could be what we need in mmos when it comes to the openness of the maps (no invisible walls),  freedom and interaction with the world around you. Thow some mass effect-esque important decision making that affects the world around every player and youll have an mmo worth playing and paying for.

GTA is barely what the OP is dreaming off. Because of budgets and time constraints only one of the three things below are possible.

1) A huge seamlessly connected region as found in GTA V and WoW and many other huge MMO games. These itself take over 5 years to develop along with a gigantic budget.

2) A huge fully modeled galaxy as seen in Elite Dangerous and X series with warp jumps and complete freedom to roam and explore which again takes more than 5 years and a hefty budget.

3) A compromise between the 2 above as seen in SWTOR with lots of medium sized region and dungeons connected by fixed space travel and simple cut-scenes. The budget to do a hybrid itself was crazy for SWTOR.

What the OP wants is a complete mixture of (1) and (2) without any compromise which is just impossible by today's standards. In the future, definitely since technology keeps on improving but right now we don't have it to undertake such a massive project.

This is not like landing on the moon where we will get years of funding in Billions of dollars from the government without any pressure to get the money back through commercial success.

that makes sense. And i think Rockstar would only need the knowledge in mmo development and management. They have the budget (GTA V made over a billion dollars in sales the first week only, and the game isnt out on PC or next gen yet). But yeah, it wont happen because they arent mmo devs and they probably wont have the SW license any time soon.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by General-Zod
    Originally posted by Holophonist
    Hey wait a second.... jawas aren't from Alderan!

Ha, I thought I was the only one that noticed that....

He wants to see the Jawa vacationeers  lol

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

Round up about 6 billion dollars ( im sure Disney would only sell at  profit) and you can do whatever you want with the IP  :)

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

If you are gonna randomly warp anywhere in space you need a full detailed galaxy for it. Ever seen X series? It only has space exploration and has almost non-existant textures and graphics and yet the game is over 8GB just for the space design. Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous will be fully space games with modern textures and then you will see how much big the games can get just in Space design.

Want full planets with complete design? Ever though about the workforce required to design them? WoW, a 10 year old game with a huge world and again outdated graphics has a 25+GB size just one for one big region. Most modern MMOs with big worlds go above 35GB. And it takes the devs years to design just one world. How do you think they will do a minimum of 10 worlds? Also, what about the infrastructure required to connect the happenings on multiple worlds seeing you want a full sandbox?

Most of the people here engage in wishful thinking not realising the practical possibility of it at all.

You would be the first employee I would fire. It's possible. Employees such as you would hinder innovation.

Originally posted by Dauzqul

If you are gonna randomly warp anywhere in space you need a full detailed galaxy for it. Ever seen X series? It only has space exploration and has almost non-existant textures and graphics and yet the game is over 8GB just for the space design. Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous will be fully space games with modern textures and then you will see how much big the games can get just in Space design.

Want full planets with complete design? Ever though about the workforce required to design them? WoW, a 10 year old game with a huge world and again outdated graphics has a 25+GB size just one for one big region. Most modern MMOs with big worlds go above 35GB. And it takes the devs years to design just one world. How do you think they will do a minimum of 10 worlds? Also, what about the infrastructure required to connect the happenings on multiple worlds seeing you want a full sandbox?

Most of the people here engage in wishful thinking not realising the practical possibility of it at all.

You would be the first employee I would fire. It's possible. Employees such as you would hinder innovation.

Of

course you would fire him. You would be going out of business. You wold be firing every one =)

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609

Another Star Wars MMORPG won't happen as long as SW:TOR is up and running.

Same for Lord of the Rings... I'd love a more sandboxish LoTR game, closer to the original lore, but that won't happen either.

My computer is better than yours.

Originally posted by Dauzqul

There is difference between innovation and Delusion.

If it's possible, open up your own studio and go for it. I won't even join you lest i hinder up the "Innovation" in your studio.

• actionreactionactionreaction Member Posts: 82

It's not because of limitations, I know other posters will tell you this, the number one reason is that most "consumers" do not like hard or in depth games.

The reason the EQ2/WoW model works so well is because most people are little bawing sheep, and anything that makes them think get's thrown out of the door instantly compared to something that encourages and facilitates a learning experience.

Look it up under social experiments, 7 million MMORPG consumers would rather have the hand held then play something like AC/Pre patch SWG/Pre patch EQ1, which have a player base in the thousands.

So for every 1 person that players an easy game, .0001 people choose to play hard. in the end, MONEY TALKS.