Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Media] General: Pay to Win

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In our weekly comic, artist Blaz Klaric brings us his irreverent look into the foibles of the MMO worlds we love, and love to hate. Check out "Pay to Win" and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830
    That is right on the mark. What is the point in playing a game if you skip progression and just purchase everything?
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

OP should post it under every game that has a "jump to max level" option, especially EQ2 with the upcoming "purchase max level" in store :)

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    Originally posted by Po_gg

OP should post it under every game that has a "jump to max level" option, especially EQ2 with the upcoming "purchase max level" in store :)

well its not a max level character you can buy in EQ2 soon, its a lvl 85 - max level is 95. But as someone who have leveled many chars already, the free lvl 85 seems great, since Id just spend the time power leveling anyway, if there were any classes left Id like to have  :p

and as someone who doesnt care to do the 1 million solo quests, I could understand some may stay away from the game, or only play for a short while.

the main thing I dislike about this new bought, almost, max level character is that they will have a new class in the, soon to come, expansion - at that point it wont be free anymore.....just screams cash grab

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

The cartoon above is very philosophical. However, once a player knows the philosophy of computer gaming, much of the fun goes. This is because the player can now anticipate what is going to happen.

Therefore, cartoons like the one above, and deep discussions on this website, do not encourage players to play more games - they turn players into 'BitterVets' who then quit computer games in general.

• c0existc0exist Member UncommonPosts: 196

Please tell me this is not true.  Dark days just keep getting darker for the mmo genre.  I'm shocked if this is for real. 

• TwigmansamTwigmansam Member Posts: 10
    "I'm gunna pose in front of the bank, I guess"

Couldn't have been more spot on.
  • SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

Please explain the actual game that the context of this comic is pulled from. Is there one?

The reason I ask is because all this comic is doing is pushing the stereotype that cash shops are bad "pay to win" areas in games.   It may be common place in Korean MMOs and those of the East area, but not Western MMOs (well, admittedly I'm not sure about SW:TOR, LotRO, Champions, or STO).  

Originally posted by Hedeon

the main thing I dislike about this new bought, almost, max level character is that they will have a new class in the, soon to come, expansion - at that point it wont be free anymore.....just screams cash grab

My bad, it's only lvl85 indeed... only ;) and yep, I ment those times when the freebie option expires and it will be available to anyone via money.

• caiozetcaiozet Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Originally posted by Siphaed

Please explain the actual game that the context of this comic is pulled from. Is there one?

The reason I ask is because all this comic is doing is pushing the stereotype that cash shops are bad "pay to win" areas in games.   It may be common place in Korean MMOs and those of the East area, but not Western MMOs (well, admittedly I'm not sure about SW:TOR, LotRO, Champions, or STO).  

Probably  Runescape, since they introduced bonds, players can buy gold with real life money from other players. And banks are the most popular places in that game.

Originally posted by caiozet
    Originally posted by Siphaed

Probably  Runescape, since they introduced bonds, players can buy gold with real life money from other players. And banks are the most popular places in that game.

I think it's mainly EQ2 since that one is the latest... and earlier there was Tera's (but only under EME), and AoC has a similar since years (you can start at lvl50 with appropriate gear, and you can accumulate offline levels so with those you can jumpstart your brand new 50 towards the cap)

Edit: sorry, I forgot the first picture... with an option to buy it from the store via $$'s, that's EQ2 only (as far as I know)

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455

A true MMORPG should be like Paper N Pen RPGs used to be, and like Chess is. The fun is in playing the game, not in reaching an arbitrary target.

This comic does wonders in showing that getting end-game stuff, be it through money or through effort, is truly fruitless.

In games, it should be about the fun you have, not the destination.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Where's that EQ 2 "Doing a super awesome and great promotion" article again?

Although it's only 35 bucks to "win".

Hah..

• sadiegracesadiegrace Member Posts: 3

Now how many posers have I known...lmao

I don't get it.  Everyone rushes to level cap buys max everything then complains of boredom.