Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Returning player: slap in the face

Comments

• maxima29maxima29 Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by ignore_me

Originally posted by maxima29
    Yippy another "its not free enough thread". do people have any self respect anymore you people cry a video game is not free enough really? You can play multiple toons from 1-50!! That's pretty good if you ask me. If you play 3.5hrs a week and paid a whopping $15/month it would be less then $1/hr of entertainment. Oh but your counter is going to be its not worth a sub...well my response to you is if its not worth a sub and not free enough find a new game and stop crying.

It really seems to bother you that people hate this game so much. It's not your fault man, and you shouldn't feel responsible that others don't like the game. Bioware did this, not you, it's not your fault Will. It's not your fault.

Does it bother me grown adults hate a video game? Nope. Does it bother me that grown adults are so distraught about a video game they have spend almost two years bashing it? Nope. Does it bother me that grown adults hate a video so much they need to try and post misinformation on a website? Nope. So to answer you question bro no it does not bother me that these grown adults who hate a video game they DONT even play are so distraught they have wasted two years of their life passing misinformation bother me? Nope. But they may want to take a step back and sort out their priorities in life cause acting this way towards any video game is just not healthy. Its going to be a long few years for some of if you don't start moving on. Good luck bro hope you and the others can find something more important in your lives then hating a video game you don't play.
  • mrputtsmrputts Member UncommonPosts: 283

So you buy the game, and one month. Then you quit, and wait over a year to return. Now you are pissed because you feel entitled to something for free based solely on your 65 dollar investment a year and a half ago. 

What the hell makes you feel so god damn entitled. You got what you gave them money for. They owe you nothing special.

No if you payed the entire time they were sub you might have a case.

Ea is like a poo fingered midas ~ShakyMo

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Yippy another "its not free enough thread". do people have any self respect anymore you people cry a video game is not free enough really? You can play multiple toons from 1-50!! That's pretty good if you ask me. If you play 3.5hrs a week and paid a whopping $15/month it would be less then $1/hr of entertainment. Oh but your counter is going to be its not worth a sub...well my response to you is if its not worth a sub and not free enough find a new game and stop crying.

It really seems to bother you that people hate this game so much. It's not your fault man, and you shouldn't feel responsible that others don't like the game. Bioware did this, not you, it's not your fault Will. It's not your fault.

Does it bother me grown adults hate a video game? Nope. Does it bother me that grown adults are so distraught about a video game they have spend almost two years bashing it? Nope. Does it bother me that grown adults hate a video so much they need to try and post misinformation on a website? Nope. So to answer you question bro no it does not bother me that these grown adults who hate a video game they DONT even play are so distraught they have wasted two years of their life passing misinformation bother me? Nope. But they may want to take a step back and sort out their priorities in life cause acting this way towards any video game is just not healthy. Its going to be a long few years for some of if you don't start moving on. Good luck bro hope you and the others can find something more important in your lives then hating a video game you don't play.

I think the point is being missed here. You see, the grown adults would LOVE to just go on with their life's not hating on a video game. I am personally heavily invested in Path of Exile and Final Fantasy 14 ARR, those are my new homes (I also buy the content that comes out for TSW as a quick fancy). 

The problem here is that the game was very disappointing for a lot of people (myself included) and I would love to go about my life. However, I am signed up to Bioware (for Dragonage, Mass Effect news) and I am constantly spammed by them to come and 'play' their game SWTOR, to give it another chance, to hey, see if I would enjoy it again. After all, the game IS Star Wars and holds a lot of love for people. 

Like the recent mail I remember getting was something like "Hey, come and play the game again and experience the new xpac for free!" I was like, wow! sure I'll check that out. Only to find that what they really meant is that it's "free" if you sub. Well that's not free to me. It is a carefully worded email trying to coax you back into the game under false pretences. 

So yeah, people do hate on the game, I hate on the game as it is apparent that as a "free" user under their "free to play" system you are just not getting a quality service that would encourage you to invest with a sub. Yourself, as a subscriber don't have to worry about it but for potential new business, or returning business... it's not a friendly game to get back into. 

Originally posted by Tsumoro

I think the point is being missed here. You see, the grown adults would LOVE to just go on with their life's not hating on a video game. I am personally heavily invested in Path of Exile and Final Fantasy 14 ARR, those are my new homes (I also buy the content that comes out for TSW as a quick fancy). 

The problem here is that the game was very disappointing for a lot of people (myself included) and I would love to go about my life. However, I am signed up to Bioware (for Dragonage, Mass Effect news) and I am constantly spammed by them to come and 'play' their game SWTOR, to give it another chance, to hey, see if I would enjoy it again. After all, the game IS Star Wars and holds a lot of love for people. 

Like the recent mail I remember getting was something like "Hey, come and play the game again and experience the new xpac for free!" I was like, wow! sure I'll check that out. Only to find that what they really meant is that it's "free" if you sub. Well that's not free to me. It is a carefully worded email trying to coax you back into the game under false pretences. 

So yeah, people do hate on the game, I hate on the game as it is apparent that as a "free" user under their "free to play" system you are just not getting a quality service that would encourage you to invest with a sub. Yourself, as a subscriber don't have to worry about it but for potential new business, or returning business... it's not a friendly game to get back into. 

Hey I played ffxiv got my whm and stopped playing, I have my reasons but am mature enough to walk away without throwing a fit about it. As with your Email if you read it it did say free with a subscription so it was no hoax lie or trick. Your right I do pay and it cost me <$1/hr of entertainment a month to do so. There restrictions may be not what you or others like but you are playing the entire original game on multiple toon level 1-50 for free! I think that's a pretty good deal.
  • Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213
    Originally posted by mrputts

So you buy the game, and one month. Then you quit, and wait over a year to return. Now you are pissed because you feel entitled to something for free based solely on your 65 dollar investment a year and a half ago. 

What the hell makes you feel so god damn entitled. You got what you gave them money for. They owe you nothing special.

No if you payed the entire time they were sub you might have a case.

Yeah, it's completely stupid for people who supported the game at the beginning and actually paid for a box to expect to have some sort of advantage over someone who came along later and didn't pay for a box, right?

Bioware's F2P model says, "Yeah, we know you bought the game from the get-go, but what have you done for us lately? Thanks for the $60+ though, sucker!"

So no, no we do not 'have what we paid money for', as you put it.

Not that I really care. They lost me about 3 months in when they showed that they know absolutely nothing about class balance, content design, and running an MMO in general.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

You originally bought the game understanding that you would pay a subscription. When you return you are now upset that you don't get the full game without paying a subscription. The reality is that you can get the full game paying exactly what you had originally intended on paying. I see no issue with this.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

Originally posted by Swedish_Chef

Originally posted by mrputts
    So you buy the game, and one month. Then you quit, and wait over a year to return. Now you are pissed because you feel entitled to something for free based solely on your 65 dollar investment a year and a half ago.    What the hell makes you feel so god damn entitled. You got what you gave them money for. They owe you nothing special.   No if you payed the entire time they were sub you might have a case.

Yeah, it's completely stupid for people who supported the game at the beginning and actually paid for a box to expect to have some sort of advantage over someone who came along later and didn't pay for a box, right?

Bioware's F2P model says, "Yeah, we know you bought the game from the get-go, but what have you done for us lately? Thanks for the $60+ though, sucker!"

So no, no we do not 'have what we paid money for', as you put it.

Not that I really care. They lost me about 3 months in when they showed that they know absolutely nothing about class balance, content design, and running an MMO in general.

This is nothing new to f2p models. I played age on Conan from launch to godslayer. I stopped came back when it went f2p....guess what I can't get into khatia without either subbing or paying for a week of time in that zone. So guess what I didn't cry about I didn't throw out the I'm entitled BS chose one of the options the game gave me because that is what they offer. Don't like it move on its that simple.
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Illudo

When SWToR launched, I bought the box with the required one month sub and enjoyed it quite a bit, but decided to quit like the majority of the players back then. Reading the forums here about the new patch made me interested in starting again, so I went ahead and downloaded the game and logged in to create a new character.
    I wanted to roll a Chiss (species) Bounty Hunter, but this species is locked, only subscribers or cartel coin buyers can unlock this species. When the game was P2P this species was readily available for BH. For me this is just a slap in the face for a returning player, old subscriber. If you want people to play your game again, why would you create a barrier even before logging in to the actual world?

I understand that F2P players should be limited in their gameplay to some extent but even limiting character races that were available to you before is a bad move for returning players and for me personally it made me shut down the game again.
    Don't know if this has been discussed before but I really felt let down, it was a real surprise for me.

I just dont know what to say about this.

• FrostveinFrostvein Member UncommonPosts: 157

I don't think people realize that the pricing model can be talked about separately than the game.

Like/Hate the game, you should still be able to comment on their F2P model.

That said, it is terrible. Its very off-putting to new and former subscribers.

• SkaldirSkaldir Member UncommonPosts: 48

Originally posted by Blazer6992
    /slapWait till you see the other things that you can't do or have that was also available to you at the start. 

This is what I mean people, I understand limitations to F2P accounts or former subscribers but my point was that they put these limitations in place before you even log in (i.e. character creation).
    If you put dollar signs all over the screen before you even start playing, you might want to think about what's more to come, I think that's a very bad move for a company to do and just shows how desperate they are.

Originally posted by Frostvein

I don't think people realize that the pricing model can be talked about separately than the game. Like/Hate the game, you should still be able to comment on their F2P model. That said, it is terrible. Its very off-putting to new and former subscribers.

This is true and they have made a lot of changes to their f2p for example now f2p can buy spring at level ten with everyone else. The issue are those who cry its not free enough or expect 99% of the game to be free or be able to have 99% of the game because they are entitled because they bought the box and have not played since launch. The truth is your able to play multiple toons from 1-50. How is that not free enough for those who complain all day. So if game is not worth subbing to and its also not free enough to play multiple toons from 1-50 there can only be one reason to be posting.

Originally posted by Blazer6992
    /slapWait till you see the other things that you can't do or have that was also available to you at the start. 

This is what I mean people, I understand limitations to F2P accounts or former subscribers but my point was that they put these limitations in place before you even log in (i.e. character creation).
    If you put dollar signs all over the screen before you even start playing, you might want to think about what's more to come, I think that's a very bad move for a company to do and just shows how desperate they are.

1-50 multiple toons buddy that's pretty free. Oh you can't be a specific race? Oh to bad you wear a damn head piece 90% of the time! The only one who is desperate is you and the rest of the not free enough. I applaud them for not bowing down to the I'm entitled crowd.
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

You should expect multiple slaps in the face to returning to a MMO that has become F2P. That's how it is.

IF you have the credits you can buy a lot of the unlocks and it is somewhat bearable to play. Or you can sub like you used to and it plays about the same.

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329

Hey I played ffxiv got my whm and stopped playing, I have my reasons but am mature enough to walk away without throwing a fit about it. As with your Email if you read it it did say free with a subscription so it was no hoax lie or trick. Your right I do pay and it cost me <$1/hr of entertainment a month to do so. There restrictions may be not what you or others like but you are playing the entire original game on multiple toon level 1-50 for free! I think that's a pretty good deal.

Congratulations! If you are truly as mature as you say you should probably stop reading and posting on these forums.  As you will most likely be thoroughly disappointed and most definitely flamed and trolled until you no longer want to post anyway.

You have been warned!

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Probably the worst FTP system I've seen, perfect example for future games in how not to do it.

Game certainly isn't good enough to pay for so I just moved on to something else.

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522

Servers are busy, having fun and yes I'm subscribed.

Don't like the F2P? Then subscribe or don't play!

EA/Bioware owe nothing to you.  Speak with your wallet.

There are plenty of games out there that you can invest in and find something to enjoy.

Originally posted by f0dell54

Hey I played ffxiv got my whm and stopped playing, I have my reasons but am mature enough to walk away without throwing a fit about it. As with your Email if you read it it did say free with a subscription so it was no hoax lie or trick. Your right I do pay and it cost me <$1/hr of entertainment a month to do so. There restrictions may be not what you or others like but you are playing the entire original game on multiple toon level 1-50 for free! I think that's a pretty good deal. </b>Congratulations! If you are truly as mature as you say you should probably stop reading and posting on these forums.  As you will most likely be thoroughly disappointed and most definitely flamed and trolled until you no longer want to post anyway.You have been warned!

Thanks for the warning the haters/not free enough crowd already troll/flame me but its all good. Coming here is like walking into a Walmart its an instant moral booster. There are grown adults who hate a video game they don't play so much for two years now they have tried to bash it. My life could never get to that point where I'm that miserable over a video game.
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by TiamatRoar
    There's really no way Star Wars could win with that budget in its current state now.  I hope this is a lesson to other MMORPG developers to not blow the entire budget on cut scenes that everyone will view within the first few weeks in a game that's supposed to last years in order to return on its investment.

what current state?, are you actually playing the game now?, Probably no. The population is good in pretty much all the game servers, and they are making really a lot of money with the CC where 99.99% of the items there are cosmetics or unlocks for the F2P players and you can get them with in-game money, all of them. We still have content updates every 8 weeks or so, and the Space PvP combat as the new big update to the game coming soon, wich will bring really a lot of people back to the game. So about what state are you talking about?.   

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741

Wait... people are playing a game for free... then complaining that they are not getting enough for free?

I understand that the "Free Mode" SWTOR is very restrictive.... but it's free!

"It's not free enough" Support the game if you enjoy it.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

This whole thread is stupid.

"I want something for nothing!" Waaa.

"I didn't write the game, and I didn't support the game for any length of time, but I think the developers should give me something for free, because of my feelings!" Waa.

Grow up.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213
    Originally posted by lizardbones

This whole thread is stupid.

"I want something for nothing!" Waaa.

"I didn't write the game, and I didn't support the game for any length of time, but I think the developers should give me something for free, because of my feelings!" Waa.

Grow up.

Yes, except it isn't for nothing. It's expecting some consideration for the box price we paid. Just explain to me how it's fair that people who paid for the box get nothing over people who only pay the subscription fee.

Expecting goods & services in exchange for money sounds pretty 'grown up' to me.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Agreed
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

When SWToR launched, I bought the box with the required one month sub and enjoyed it quite a bit, but decided to quit like the majority of the players back then. Reading the forums here about the new patch made me interested in starting again, so I went ahead and downloaded the game and logged in to create a new character.
    I wanted to roll a Chiss (species) Bounty Hunter, but this species is locked, only subscribers or cartel coin buyers can unlock this species. When the game was P2P this species was readily available for BH. For me this is just a slap in the face for a returning player, old subscriber. If you want people to play your game again, why would you create a barrier even before logging in to the actual world? I understand that F2P players should be limited in their gameplay to some extent but even limiting character races that were available to you before is a bad move for returning players and for me personally it made me shut down the game again.
    Don't know if this has been discussed before but I really felt let down, it was a real surprise for me.

Umm.. subscribe if you want it?

I don't much care for SWTOR, but I don't see the point of this either. You had bought it when it was P2P, you wouldn't even have gotten in the game at all without a sub in the first place and now your complaining because your still need to pay in order to get everything?

• shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509

Yeah same here, bought the box and subbed for a few months, decided to go back during f2p and roll up a chiss and uninstalled out of disgust. I tried to give it a second chance because the first time around it was a great big old piece of TRASH, and this is how they plan to keep me around? By tossing me the same scraps they throw to the froobs? I think freaking not.

Edit: Oh, nevermind. For some reason I was under the impression that I'd still have to pay for the extra races even if I went premium. Well now I look like a douche, might give it another shot sometime.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Swedish_Chef
    No, you're not right. Explain how it's fair that people who PAID FOR A FUCKING BOX get nothing over somebody who just pays the sub fee? Go on, I'm listening. Explain how in the FUCK that's fair.Oh right, it ISN'T.Keep taking up the rear end from the corporations, 'buddy'.

Umm, you got it months before anyone got it free?