Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Yoshi-P Signed Standard Edition Giveaway!

Comments

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,359
    Growing up Final Fantasy was my escape. My home wasn't pleasant for many unpleasant reasons, and like many 'geeky/nerdy' people school wasn't a thrill either. No matter how poor people acted toward me, I always had my Final Fantasy waiting for me. The music from this series still to this day can calm me down better than anything else. It was my minds home. It was my coping mechanism. Through Final Fantasy I held my sanity. And later in life, at college, through a shared love of Final Fantasy I met my fiancé. Final Fantasy to me is no fantasy at all. It's not just the stuff of dreams, but of hope itself.
  • mortelissmorteliss Member Posts: 4
    final fantasy is my life!!!

<a href="http://www.enjin.com/"; alt="swtor guild hosting"><

• YitsuniYitsuni Member Posts: 1
    To me, Final Fantasy as a series was the hard work of the people who put the time and effort to make the imagination and ideas come to life in which we as spectators get to experience the hardships and the lifeline of the company. For me to play Final Fantasy allowed me to play the life's work of another person and what they wanted us as society to see what they wanted to see in their minds. The series itself manifested and spreaded throughout the world in which we all share the unique experience that this game has given us. So if I could really describe Final Fantasy as a series, I would describe it as an infinite idea that will keep on manifesting into the future generations in which one day will live in a world just as Final Fantasy will attend it to be.
  • VirynViryn Member UncommonPosts: 2

Final Fantasy, to me, is all about memories.  That's an odd word choice so I'll explain...

Some of my earliest memories pertaining to video games revolve around the original Final Fantasy on the NES.  My father would often work late when I was young so my mother and I would spend time together playing NES.  When Final Fantasy came out, I would control the controller and move around the game world and she would open up the big pamphlet with enemy stats that came with the game and we would go at it together.  We did this for the first couple Final Fantasy games and had a blast doing so.

Over the years I grew up and spent less time with mom but Final Fantasy games continued to come out.  I would play them alone and sometimes if she was around she would check in and see how the series was progressing (always saying how she missed the old ones) and I would scoff and get back to whatever the current release was.  

Push forward a bunch of years, I'm almost 30 - about to have my first kid - and I'm still playing Final Fantasy games.  The series has always been a part of my gaming life and it's to this day one of my favorite franchises in gaming both for the merit of it's games and the memories it elicits.  

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

FF is my own little miracle.

I played most of the titles and counted each game as one of the best rpgs i had the pleasure to play but FF11 in particular has a special place in my heart.

After some unfortunate situations (cheating ex left dream job for her etc) i was in a point in live where i lost hope in the good of humanity (especially the female part) at that point FF11 offered me some get away place where i didnt have to worry too much about all that it also presented me with something very unexpected it gave me the chance to meet with the woman who would become my wife.

In a time where i didnt want anything to do with woman anymore FF11 gave me the present of finding the perfect woman for me we got to know each other while killing Gods just meet at the grand waterfalls at Misareaux Coast and finally made the step and meet in rl.

Shortly after i moved from Germany to America and we got married the inscription on our wedding rings has some reference to FF as well.

We just celebrated our 5th anniversary and could not be happier.

So i guess FF stands for happiness for me XD
  • neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336

Final Fantasy is the game that has made me dream as a child, the game that made me realize that power is pointless when abused. It was my initiation to RPGs, the concepts of magic and I would rather read the text in those games than read school material.  It is the proof that reinvention is always a possibility and that innovation is always worth trying.

The series has taught me that no matter who tries to shatter your dreams, you prove him wrong. No matter who puts you down, you can always rise above that. It taught me that facing problems passively is never the solution, that no matter what happens, you can always make things a little better than they are now, regardless of how aweful it has gotten.

However, what it has become now, a mindless copy of other products in a pursuit of money, what the game means to me doesn't matter as it is not longer about the series, only about profit. I learned that nothing is above corruption and that all good things do indeed come to an end. You can burn your signed copies as far as I care.

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

• coraphisecoraphise Member UncommonPosts: 11

To me, the Final Fantasy series means wonderful stories, beautiful art and fantastic soundtracks, all of which truly capture the imagination. The series has shown me over the years that things grow, things change but that things are still good. I've learned to adapt to the changes made over the years, which has helped me adapt as things change in my life as well.

The Final Fantasy series also helped instill in me an active imagination without which I suspect things would be very boring. I'd say the series (for me at least) is on par with a good sci-fi or fantasy novel.

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

Final Fantasy is my last journey, my last fantasy...

Playing it makes me want to hang myself.

Except I have a spare phoenix down.

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • bladeartsbladearts Member Posts: 7

Final Fantasy means adventure, high fantasy, and forging friendships to me. It's an amazing experience and I'm glad to have the chance to play the latest iteration in its unmasked glory.

They really outdone themselves this time. I'm very impressed.

• ClearHorizOnClearHorizOn Member Posts: 2
    Ive played Final Fantasy since i was a kid... Playing for the first time on the original Play Station was some of the most fun I have had on a console. I still remember staying up long nights with friends and family exploring the game and its content! I look forward to many more cherished memories.
  • KynmoreKynmore Member UncommonPosts: 66

Final Fantasy for me is my 5th grade year. 1990? 1991?

It's my and my friends sitting in our makeshiftden in a garage in Florida, with a scavenged rear-projector TV, an 5ft x 10 ft half-pipe oulled into the drive way, a fridge full of mountain dew, and so much good music. Monday - Friday, waiting for our parents to come get us after work. I had a few short stories i wrote for english class based on FF, and I may still have some art my friend did. 

I bought a PS1 for FF7, even though I had given up on console gaming for PC gaming. And was even more engrossed when FFTactics came out. When I play either FF or FFT on my iPhone, it's nothing but nostalgia.

Brrrflp!

• tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321

One word: Comradery

"Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades."

• Mange1Mange1 Member UncommonPosts: 266

Final Fantasy 7 was, simply put, my first "true" RPG.  Now mind you I had played earthbound on super nintendo but this game just blew my mind story wise.  I had never actually felt emotion for a game until the scene where Sephiroth kills Aerith.  From that point on I was hooked, I've played every Final Fantasy game from that point on with the exception of 9.

I have the time and hardware to get into FFXIV and that's why I am here now.

• andres78andres78 Member UncommonPosts: 2

FINAL= Ultimate, spectacular, Topnotch,  endless.

FANTASY= Out this world, amazing,  surreal. 

• DimoSupremoDimoSupremo Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Final Fantasy means a lot of things to me, adventure, excitement, wonder, but most importantly its memories. I started playing final fantasy when i was in elementary school. I met life long friends through that common interest. I remember whenever there was a final fantasy coming out around Christmas time, being so excited to unwrap it and play it Christmas morning. I remember the 100s of hours I clocked into the games, trying to complete it 100% , and the sweet victory when I finally beat Emerald Weapon in FF7. Most importantly though, I remember its how I met my wife. We both loved the series and met in college and really kicked it off from that common interest. As the years went on we enjoyed not only playing final fantasy together, but traveling out of state to see the Distant Worlds concert, as well as even having the organist at our wedding play the final fantasy main theme to her walking down the aisle. Final Fantasy will always hold a special place in my heart.
  • JaredKFanJaredKFan Member UncommonPosts: 22

Final Fantasy is the game series that got me hooked on RPGs in the first place.  I started with the original game for the NES back in the early 90s.  A friend of mine had a copy of the game and he guided me through it.  I was hooked instantly.  Since then I have played virtually every Final Fantasy game that exists, including the spin-offs.

Some of my friends also were interested in this type of game, and a select few I were able to covert into die-hard RPG fans simply through the magic that is Final Fantasy.  Each game is usually well-done and each has their own special qualities. I generally consider VI and VII to be the best RPGs that have ever been made. The stories in those two games were so good, almost like a well-written novel, really.

• mairicmairic Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Like a good book, FF has proven it will be around for the long haul and has a way of changing my perspective on my own world. Final Fantasy taught me that it is ok for a man to cry.
  • furnapsfurnaps Member UncommonPosts: 10
    I'm not going to try to butter up the judges here I never played a Final Fantasy game until FFXIV ARR and I was never really interested in trying any of them.. BUT I bought FFXIV ARR a few days ago and I have been hooked into the game ever since. Not only the game but the lore and the story.  I love lore in games its why I love the Witcher and Elder scroll series but I was naive to the fact that Final Fantasy had such a great story until I recently bought FFXIV ARR and played it. I would like to have a signature of anyone involved in making this great comeback game! 
  • TissmogiTissmogi Member Posts: 177

A moment of joy can last forever

like the memories of those that fought together

side by side like brothers and sisters

we forget our lives triviality

lost in Final Fantasy

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Final Fantasy.  You know how movies like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings inspire you and take you to a magic place filled with wonder?  Yeah, that's what Final Fantasy is to the video game world and has been to me since FF1 on the Nintendo.  Back when I would read Nintendo Power's guides on how to get through it, how to beat Tiamat, how to get the river boat so I could explore further and AIRSHIPS, omgosh!!!!! just makes me want one in real life.  Anyway, yeah I'm a Square fanboy and I even like the ones I didn't like, FFXII and FFXIII, ahem, they still have that "style" that is all FF.  Chocobos and Moogles forever!
  • IfiyrinIfiyrin Member Posts: 1
    Final Fantasy is a series that I grew up with, from playing VII on the Playstation, to begging to stay at my uncles house so I was able to play FFX when it first came out. Final Fantasy has had a massive impact on my life, from its compelling story to its amazing musical scores. It's brought me closer to my family and friends, Right now I'm typing this as we're playing XIII-2 together trying to see who can get the better Minions! Final Fantasy is an RPG, It's the RPG for me and it's the only one I'll need!
  • chivienchivien Member Posts: 16
    Final Fantasy is a dream
  • frealmsfrealms Member UncommonPosts: 24

How to put it...it is a series that tought me that a game can be art, with it's amazing soundtrack, well written plots and despite any graphical limitations, beautiful images to ilustrate it's most crucial moments.

You could end up talking all day long about it, but in the end what I find most interesting about the series as a whole is how it managed to carry on captivating players with it's iconic details despite always depicting a different tale.  Just like a good book, even knowing the end doesn't take away from the journey it provides.

• lordmayhemlordmayhem Member UncommonPosts: 7
    never play it before so i just wana try it.
  • Urchin83Urchin83 Member Posts: 1

I have played many of the Final Fantasy titles. They have always been entertaining and I have loved the stories. The music has always been great and the characters are memorable. But what really sticks out in my head is FFXI. I fell in love with that game.

The community there was amazing. I have never found more caring and more respect than I did int that game. The game was great the play was entertaining. But the people.  The people were incredible.

That is where I see FF going. As they have moved into the MMORPG market they have proven that bugs or not. Bumby starts or not. They create a place that lovers of the genre and lovers of the game and lovers of community can all find a place to be togther and share in an amazing story.

This discussion has been closed.