Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Yoshi-P Signed Standard Edition Giveaway!

Comments

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Final Fantasy is a series of landmarks in my gaming career. I can think of a Final Fantasy game and remember where I was, what I was doing at the time, what I was going through etc. Always brings back fond memories. FFXIV is making new ones.

• ArkebandArkeband Member Posts: 1

Final Fantasy represents the ultimate in both storytelling and iterative game design.

I jumped into the series with 8, and then worked my way backward through the 16 and 8 bit era titles - even having to use guides to get me through the Japanese versions if an English version did not exist.  My RPG roots began with Dragon Quest, and although that series will always be nostalgic, Final Fantasy took brave steps to break the mold and to become something truly different and special.

The developers of Final Fantasy are artists.  Every facet of a Final Fantasy game is considered with great care, and you can feel the love poured into every dungeon, town, or character.

What does Final Fantasy mean to me?  Its music invades my thoughts whether I am happy or sad - its characters inspire me to love my individuality - and its stories will live in me until I can pass them down to my children. 

It is why I became a programmer, to be able to one day impact someone else's life the way Final Fantasy impacted mine.

• ScarletgrimScarletgrim Member Posts: 1

When I was younger I wasn't social at all.  I didn't talk to anyone, I didn't go anywhere, and I was afraid of everything. My brother introduced me to FF X2, then FFXI.  I loved the story lines and how the characters were so confident and out going. It made me want to be that way to. I played FFXI for 6 years, I loved every moment, the story line, the community, the socialization. It taught me how to be a more out going person in the real world and to be more confident. FF got me going out and doing what I love! Making costumes and going to video game conventions, as well as making new friends who love what I love.  The music of it fills you with passion and enthusiasm as you go through the story line. Making you feel like you'r truely a part of it.

I'm glad to be a part of FFXIV, it teaches so much to its players. When I dream at night, I dream I am really in the game, because for me its like a second world I get to live in. A world where I can do almost anything I put my mind to.

• WorldOfWorkcraftWorldOfWorkcraft Member UncommonPosts: 2

A ballad for Final Fantasy:

A series that has taught me about life and love,

Showing me wonders from airships soaring above,

Teaching me wrong paths can forge a new goal,

Proving that close is still not finished in whole. 

Overcoming fears of darkness with the Warriors of Light,

Teaching my heart to jump like Kain at Golbez's sight,

Transforming like Terra, courageous and strong,

Appreciating music through Maria and Draco's song,

Willing to call for help like an Esper to war,

Realizing what true friendship is for,

Overcoming loss, through Aeris and Cloud,

Understanding with pain that tears are allowed.

Innovative thinking, a gun forged to a blade,

Improving my memory through SEED tests made,

Appreciating cuteness, a foreign concept to me,

Until I met Eiko and kind-hearted Vivi,

From Blitzball, learning that sports could be fun,

From Vana'diel that I'm not the only one,

In Ivalice I accepted all races and creeds,

Learning to love and hunt down people's needs,

With Ramza, learning to strategically think,

Trying new things yet remembering the link

That binds people together is a quest for what's right;

Good always wins even if the margin is tight.

<3 FF

• AmbroskiAmbroski Member Posts: 1

What does the Final Fantasy series mean to me?

Most people see videogames as a temporary form of entertainment and escape, but for me the Final Fantasy series is much more than that. As a kid, My life was filled with negativity due to many different circumstances that plagued my childhood, but the world of the Final Fantasy series was always there for me to unwind and take on a wondrous adventure filled with excitement. In an instant i would be instantaneously  teleported into the world as a valiant hero on a quest to slay the bad guys. The Final Fantasy also taught me many life lessons that i use to this day such as: It  doesn't matter how long or hard the journey(life) is, never give up because something great always waits you at the end.

To this day I'm thankful to the Series for always pushing me forward and teaching me to never give up when things are looking down. Instead of the Series just being a bunch of games, they were a safe haven along with a way of life that i will always remember and keep with me till the end of my days.

• SkavenapsSkavenaps Member UncommonPosts: 67

What means? For me, means level-up.

Every time i levelup in any game (pc or playing table rpg with my pals) my mind always play the teeteeree tee teetee! 

• AarakianeAarakiane Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Final Fantasy was one of the franchises that turned me into a gamer drove me to review and rate RPG/MMORPGs alike. Magic, swords, monsters, and battles? My 10-year-old self was completely sold. Ever since, I’ve been a devoted player, waiting with great anticipation for each major installment. Along the way, favorites have emerged, and others fall by the wayside in my memory. But through it all, I’ve respected that Square has managed to consistently try new things, even while maintaining a core identity to the franchise that has carried over from one game to the next.
  • IAmHaunteRIAmHaunteR Member Posts: 1

So cool! Might actually help my friend get into the game. He's been plagued with fear of online games. I suppose having him play WoW as his first MMO was my fault considering the community.

^Jesus these comments...

• borockborock Member Posts: 42
    Final Fantasy represents to me, the feeling of wonder. I was a younger child when I played Final Fantasy 7 (first FF game for me) and I was really the only child in the house that could appreciate its amazing story (I was the oldest). Final Fantasy teleports me to being a kid again. The intro music, the battle music, gil, potions, chocobo's. Its like going to Disneyland, but better. To me Final Fantasy is story telling at its best, and is a landmark in my gaming development. That feeling that the world was so huge in Final Fantasy 7, trying to figure out where to go and who to talk to next, was a blast and something I have experienced in every final fantasy game since!
  • mjlayaomjlayao Member Posts: 1

Final Fantasy to me, is a game that has fueled a childlike sense of wonder and amazement. 

Very rarely will every aspect of a game amaze me, the scenery, the game play, the music, and the story. FF represents a combonation of all the things I love in life.

More so, Final Fantasy represents friendship. I grew up somewhat socially awkward, Final Fantasy XI showed me the benefits of interacting with people, and while it was just a game, it showed me that I could go out and be a leader. I made friends on FFXI that I've now known longer than most local friends. Final Fantasy is a catalyst, something that sparks a reaction between people. Something that bonds us together under a shared interest. 

• sporkqueensporkqueen Member Posts: 1
    FFI was one of the first games I ever played, sitting on the couch next to my dad. As a grownup, I still get a childlike sense of glee when I can log in and stab things in the face and run around on my chocobo, and "Matoya's Cave" theme never fails to make me smile with nostalgia.
  • metalheadx90metalheadx90 Member Posts: 1

Final Fantasy for me is a game I will be thankful all my life, I wasn't a big fan of JRPGs until I started playing these games. I always critized them and never thought that I would like them the way I like them now.

Final Fantasy is a great piece of imagination, is a place where all the dreams we have are put on, is a great realm of big worlds, where you can go and forget about everything, is a new life, a one in which you can identify yourself, get lost on and feel free for the first time.

• nuku_vnuku_v Member Posts: 2
    Before Final Fantasy, I literally thought that all music in the world could go away and I would not care. I started with the very first and I grew up with final fantasy, with each sporting fantastic jingles for their time. Exposure to it got me to start listening to other sorts of things, and now I appreciate all music(Well, most), as well as remembering fondly the narratives behind them.
  • EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275
    Final Fantasy isn't what it used to be. Somewhere along the line, someone thought popstar female leads was a good idea. Don't get me started on Final Fantasy 13. This series is so fundamentally different from what made it a series in the first place, i doubt it will ever have the same pedigree it once did. Also, sweet a free copy! How nice considering monthly subscriptions begin next week...
    You guys worked hard to make this game and i love you for it, but damn it's a themepark and I'm burnt out on those.
  • MrBum21MrBum21 Member UncommonPosts: 405
    as a young gamer growing up in the 90s FF was my escape to another world.  It brought the great story of a book and the interaction of video games to the same realm.  That is what FF has always been to me, a way to bridge worlds.

the missing link in a chain of destruction.

All spelling and typographical errors are based soely on the fact that i just dont care. If you must point out my lack of atention to detail, please do it with a smile.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,672

As stated in other posts, I'll probably give the game a rest after finishing the story, I've other games to gear grind. Additionally, as I'm in the UK this is useless for me.

However!

If a copy did find it's way through my letterbox I would advertise it on ebay - thereby promoting the game to a wide audience.

The money made from this sale would in some part, go toward refunding my purchase of the original game - which was a pile of dog doo.

That is all - I will await events.....

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

I remember when FFVIII introduced me to the series. I was 11 years old when I discovered it and the ever silent and brooding Squall became one of my favorite characters in any videogame. It also introduced me to RPGs.

I was 13 when I picked up the 9th numbered entry. FFIX's Zidane was such a departure from FFVIII and was the first game to show me the vast flexibility that Square had for great story telling. It also had my favorite use of chocobos in the series; I loved hunting down those chocographs.

In high school, I was introduced to Zanarkand. FFX my favorite story in the series to date; it was first time a game actually made me cry. The score “To Zararkand” is still,imo, the greatest entry created by the legendary Nobuo Uematsu and still stirs up emotions to this day.

I was in my first year of college when FFXII showed me the best combat system I had yet to play in an RPG. Hunting down those Marks, especially killing Yiazamat, was one of the most satisfying feelings I’ve had on console.

Really, Final Fantasy wasn’t a game series. It was a pillar of my childhood.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• darkrain21darkrain21 Member UncommonPosts: 383
    Final Fantasy means Strength to me. Showing everyone that no matter the hardship you can climb it. It shows the darkness in some and the Light in others who are willing to stand against it. It shows to never back down to always stand for what you believe to be right. It shows that there is always a reason to pick yourself back up and continue on your path. So to me Final Fantasy helped give me this strength so it is my strength.
  • SoulCrafterSoulCrafter Member Posts: 1
    The Final Fantasy series is what cemented me to the world of gaming. I played a bunch of games before FF7, but none of them gave me the feeling FF7 did. It gave me a sense of wonder, and majesty that made me want more, and expected an epic tale when i played an RPG. I've played every final fantasy game to be released to the end. Whether i thought they were good, or bad, I finished them for the story. The Final Fantasy series was what jump started my imagination into the word of Fantasy RPG's. I would think about the stories obsessively, and wonder what they would come up with next. I would strive to be more like the main characters of the story every day, and to be as courageous as they were. Each game has different principles, but one thing in common. Fight for what you believe is good; no matter what.
  • MilanderMilander Member UncommonPosts: 178
    What the Final Fantasy series means to me? A large part of my childhood. Starting way back with FF1 for Nintendo, house spend sitting infront of the TV. Was also the game that my mother found a love for RPG games as well, and to which at *coughcough* years of youth, she still plays RPGs (even WoW) Which each new game the world became more detailed and alive, with a great story even if the visuals were 8bit. :) I consider the Final Fantasy series one of the reasons I'm so involved with the RPG 'world' (yes those pen and paper people) and my interest in witting for the genre

• CyberloserCyberloser Member UncommonPosts: 6
    The Final Fantasy series means a lot to me, for various reasons. I grew up with the series, and as the games matured and become more complex, so did I. The underlying themes and the lessons learned from these games, I've carried throughout my life so far. On the surface they might just seem fun and to parents like a waste of time, but there's so much to learn from live itself - even though it is with the use of fictional characters. The series also helped me learn English and taught me about Japanese culture too. So much so, that I made it a goal to visit Japan and find Squaresoft (at the time). That dream did come to pass, as I managed to get a full semester abroad to learn Japanese at Keio University in Tokyo. I will forever remain a fan and always look forward to the new innovations to come.

I didnt say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you!!!!

• bobbankbobbank Member Posts: 1

I was a freshman in college when FFVII came out.  I consider it one of the first titles to truly blur the distinction between video game, graphic novel and film.  To me, it was an entirely new form of entertainment, and a very memorable one.

The curious thing about this game is the way it drew people in, even those who weren’t gamers.  Friends and neighbors in my dormitory would gather in my room just to watch me play.  They all had favorite characters.  Even guys from the sports teams would sometimes visit.

But it was at home, over winter break, that I finished the game.  Even my parents couldn’t help but get caught up in it.  All rules about limiting playtime and going outside were suspended; after all, they needed to know how the story ended!  They dutifully watched each cut scene with me. 

I still remember the ending cinematic, with Red XIII roaring from a cliff above, overlooking the overgrown remains of Midgar.  There was something magical in that game, and the way it could draw people in.  And that is what the series means to me – this wonderful and undeniable sense of magic.

• ArramArram Member Posts: 1

Final Fantasy is many things to me.

Final Fantasy is Fun. It is Honor and Duty. It is Heroes and Villains. It is Victory and Defeat. It is Friendship and Family and Romance.

It is Loss.

Final Fantasy is Strength and Magic. It is Peace and War. It is Strategy and Tactics.  It is Darkness and Despair and Death. It is Wisdom and Light and Life. It is Failure.

It is Redemption.

Final Fantasy is Perseverance and Effort. It is Secrets and Memories. It Is Compassion and Love. It is Imagination and Reality. It is Disaster and Rebirth.

It is People.

It is Final Fantasy.

And it is Wonderful.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

The Final Fantasy series to me is about...well if a picture is worth a thousand words would this disqualify me:

As you can see, I've been playing FF for a very long time. It has always been a part of my gaming life in one shape or form. From the very first one I played on the NES to the lastest version on the PS3 and PC. With every new addition to the series I discover some new things and rediscover many old ones that never fail to bring a smile to my face. Whether it be moogles, chocobos, primals or hearing familiar tunes. I enjoy the core experience FF brings to both genres.

I've also inadvertently passed along my love for FF to both my daughters. They both started with FF X-2 but while my youngest is anticipating the release of Lightning Returns, my oldest is experiencing ARR with me. And now my wife has shown interest in joining my daughter and I in the land of Eorzea. So this would be the perfect opportunity to welcome her aboard if I win. What better way to experience all things FF than to do so with all the ones you love!

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• BuenaVista30BuenaVista30 Member Posts: 1

Final Fantasy is the heart of my imagination.  As an early teenager, In an otherwise grey part of my life, I was able to dissolve into the various installments of the series so completely that my problems in the world suddenly became worth dealing with.  It was, and always will be just a game, but the world inside that game is a place I feel like I really belong, and it hasn't always been easy to belong somewhere.

As I grew up, I always felt this need to make it known the things I was attracted to - cars, jobs, movies, music.   I felt like it was something that could define me in a way I wanted to be seen.   With the world of Final Fantasy, however, I never cared.  I still don't care.  In fact, I'm writing this now JUST for a chance at some autographed artwork.  I love this series enough, for so long, that it doesn't even matter what the world thinks - It's something nobody can ever take away.  For me, that's hard to come by.  I don't care how old I get, I will always have access to my childlike imagination as long as I can dream that there's materia in my veins.

This discussion has been closed.