It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
I want to make a short summary of situation with ArcheAge in Russia. As far as I know it, the similar situation may evolve with the European version of ArcheAge.
1. As far as many of you already know, I guess, Sep, 28 Russian developing company Mail.ru, which is responsible for localization of ArcheAge in Russia, announced "the future economy model" for Russian version of the game.
The main point of this "economy model" by Mail.ru is partial replacement of ingame currency (gold) for a new currency, named “Arch”. It’s expected to be two main currencies for different purposes in Archeage:
Common gold (as it’s well known in many MMORPGs, and ArcheAge itself – in Korea or Japan). As usually in other games player gets it through questing, mobs-hunting, selling items to NPC-sellers. New thing is that currency can’t be traded between characters and is needed ONLY to purchase things from NPC characters (for examples, craft-supplies, seeds etc.).
Arch. Arches are meant to become a new and main ingame trading currency. It’s the only currency for broker-trading, it’s the currency for taxes (for the houses, farms and other realty in the game), it’s even needed to enlarge your backpack. It’s the only currency, which can be traded between characters. There are just few ways to get arches:
That’s all. There are no other ways for arches to get into the game. At all.
Of course, in theory, you can get them through broker if your goods would be good enough for someone to buy it for real money.
As far as you see, the main way for arches to get into the game and the only way to buy smth from broker in this economic model is to buy arches directly from seller – Mail.ru company in Russia.
For now it’s already announced, that you also would be able to buy some things “non-affecting the game process” with arches: for example character remodeling, server transfer, or, for example, items for fast Labor Points regeneration (ofc., it doesn’t affect the game process at all). And it’s just the small part of what we already know.
The second point of the new f2p model, which will be implemented in Russia, is granting free accounts right to have realty – houses, farms etc. Free accounts can recover Labor Points (they have 500 LP max and recover 2 poins every 5 min; Premium Accounts have 3000 points and recover 5 point every 5 minutes). As far as you see, everyone can have unlimited accounts for accumulating Labor Points – even bots. Bots with farms.
2. Russian community had met this “new economic system” very poorly: noone wants to play another "Pay to win" game, when the only way to get the ingame currency is a donation.
Here is, for example, a vote poll -- "Will You play mail.ru game after this annoncement?". "Red" means "Yes", "Blue" means "No". And remember, that part of “yeses” are those who are ready to play obt or a first month just to see the game – no more (according to the comments).
3. Mail.ru stated that this policy is designed by XLGames and it's target audience is not only Russia, but all the world.
As MriN said from this source
1. The distribution model of AA created by XL Games, but not by mail.ru
2. This model considered as world model, not for Russia only
3. Not excluded possibility of two models same time p2p and f2p with prem, but in future.
Today Oct 3, the producers of Mail.ru made one more statement: there will not be any other payment system (other f2p or p2p system) in Russia, cause the position of XLGames is very strict:
one version for one region.
The only f2p model, which can be supported by XLGames in the future is an “arch-based” model as in Russia. Though XLGames offer every localization company a choice of p2p or f2p model. As far as producers of Mail.ru know, and as far as we may rely on their opinion, Trion didn’t choose the payment system yet.
Now, here are some thoughts about all the situation.
1. Mail.ru is an organization well-known among Russian gamers, which fail any project they get.
It is their business-model - to buy a successfull project, drain enogh money as quickly as it possible and close it. They've done same things with many projects, including MMOs (the most known in Europe, I guess, is "Allods Online"; for example a _part_ of best character gear, specifically items for gear improvement, in cash-shop of Allods Online which can’t be get ingame has a price of 1.300.000 Russian rubles = a little less than 30.000 EUR). That’s just for you to understand what means “donation” in games of Mail.ru
2. A huge number of Russians are going to play everywhere but not at Russia servers.
Really. We're tired of Russian publishers (especially of mail.ru), they produce crap products and turn into crap anything they can get. We don't trust them. We don't want to have any business with them. We will better learn Japan. Even if mail.ru will turn "anything back" (they already said there’s no way to do it) we're pretty sure they will wait us to gain some in a game and THEN will change game mechanics to enforce us to pay for every our move. Situation was the same with Allods Online, for example.
3. Euro release is the main place we're looking for.
Well, English is much easier to learn and speak than Japan or Korean and Europe/America communities are really more like us
So. Forget about mail.ru. Our main goal now -- to explain the situation to Trion. Because if they will make "arches" like mail.ru -- all the west archeage localization will be totally ruined.
What can You do?
1. Sign the petition. This is not for mail.ru. This is for Trion really. I do believe that European publisher may and will listen to his community (unlike it's usually in Russia).
2. Spread this information (not exactly this message) around Europe/NA player communities. Write to Trion forums/support/...
We -- all the western players -- need this game localized just from any publisher, and Trion's move is the last chance.
I will be glad to answer all your questions about f2p model of Archeage "for the world localization" - as far as we get information here.