Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WildStar: Major Features Updated

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The latest WildStar Wednesday discusses some major tune ups a trio of features have undergone since the end of the last beta phase. Leveling up, ability load-outs and the quest system have received a lot of developer love lately.

Quest objectives are no longer listed as "Kill 6 Squirgs." Instead, you gain progress across a bar the more creatures you kill. I can already hear most of you saying "So what? Big deal! You just changed it visually so that you could mess with our minds, this doesn't actually change the fundamentals of questing." Well, sure, I guess the cynics could look at it that way, but the true benefit becomes clear once we add in two extra features:

• Creatures of varying difficulty can now count for more or less quest credit rather than every creature incrementing your kill count by one. Kill a Squirg? Maybe you earn 16% towards your quest objective. Take on a MEGASQUIRG DESTROYER™? Suddenly you've completed 40% of your quest with one badass kill.

• Open tagging is now in the game. See a dude or dudette having trouble with a critter? Run over to help them take it down, and you'll both gain XP, quest credit, and loot for it. Even if you're not grouped with them!

Read it all on the WildStar site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    hoping the game will launch in spring 2014 image
  • Homura235Homura235 Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Open tagging is the biggest (and most important) improvement. Not having this is just silly, so good going Carbine, that could have been a deal breaker. The ability loadouts and leveling up stuff are just fluff. Carbine doesn't need to make the game TOO easy, but I guess it makes sense. Gaining a new level is one of the most exciting aspects of an MMO so good move there. All in all, I am VERY excited for this game to come out! 
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    this is nice, a little bit of WoW..a lil bit of GW2...shouldnbt go wrong- unless they fall short on Lore n story telling.
  • SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    So.....basically they take an idea LOVED by players from Guild Wars 2 and adapt it to replace their otherwise archaic system?   Are we supposed to applaud or something?   Honestly, this was something of an "oh duh!" thing they should have done from the beginning.

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

Originally posted by Siphaed
    So.....basically they take an idea LOVED by players from Guild Wars 2 and adapt it to replace their otherwise archaic system?   Are we supposed to applaud or something?   Honestly, this was something of an "oh duh!" thing they should have done from the beginning.
    well since the game isnt out yet i would say it is still the beginning. at least they r making changes the players want before launch. name another company thats done that

just saw ur banner. didnt see u r a gw2 fanboi.

• MechanismMechanism Member UncommonPosts: 143

The open tagging is big but I really like to see QOL features like the ability loudout. However I didn't read anything about actually saving builds for future use which seems like an even more useful feature then just a sortable spellbook.

Also " Is it worth making the trek back to town to purchase new abilities from the ability vendor?"

I don't like the sound of that.

• SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548

Big difference is that now that feature will be in a hopefully good game, instead of a mediocre flop.

Not sure how I feel about open mob tagging yet, to me it encourages zerg gameplay instead of actual teamwork.  With open tagging there is also less communication between players.  With no open tagging players have to talk to each other and want to form groups.  I have formed so many groups with players when we were both on the same quest.  And we talked to each other instead of randomly zerging mobs.

Love the fact this game has multiple specs at launch.  Awesome.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Just.

Cant.

Get.

Past.

the Graphics.

Seriously wildstar, eqnext. get your shit together. I dont feel like playing a cartoon.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Sounds awesome.

• raskull789raskull789 Member Posts: 22
    I do. I love cartoony animation. Not too cartoony, but WoW, and now EQ Next is perfect. Games that try to make the game too realistic immediately lose appeal for me (Conan).
  • jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

Not really sure if I like the ability panel. Isn't finding out that kind stuff part of the game?

The quest system, or tracking, looks cool. Do we know if they will use map directions for quest objectives or something similar? Or will it just be the good old way: read the mission/quest and find it yourself?

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

instead of getting and delivering a quest for killing creatures, why not just getting a big exp bonus every time you kill say, 10 of a creature type?

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Team Fortress MMO.

And by this I mean that I am totally into this game. Gonna get a collectors edition as soon as the pre orders are up. :P

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Ive played the beta in this game and its nothing special. Its just like all the other MMO's out there.
  • funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by jazz.be

Not really sure if I like the ability panel. Isn't finding out that kind stuff part of the game?

The quest system, or tracking, looks cool. Do we know if they will use map directions for quest objectives or something similar? Or will it just be the good old way: read the mission/quest and find it yourself?

It has a quest tracker thingy. It points you where to go on mini map. MMO's are so easy and dumbed down these days.

• daemondaemon Member UncommonPosts: 680
    Originally posted by funcon
    Ive played the beta in this game and its nothing special. Its just like all the other MMO's out there.

I'll take your word for it... oh wait !

anyway they cant reinvent the wheel but a well done and polished game will do.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    This is really old news...like it was announced months ago..

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• neosapienceneosapience Member Posts: 164

So I'll be able to run around and tap a bunch of monsters, get quest credit, rewards and XP, all without actually doing anything?

Sweet.

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675
    Originally posted by neosapience

So I'll be able to run around and tap a bunch of monsters, get quest credit, rewards and XP, all without actually doing anything?

Sweet.

The state on their website that they have measures in place for people who just tag mobs and run to the next and tag it so on so forth.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by neosapience

Sweet.

no you won't

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• SkogSonSkogSon Member Posts: 59

Exiting!

Gimme gimme gimme XD

Free to live, Free to play!

• moravamorava Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Open tagging is now in the game. See a dude or dudette having trouble with a critter? Run over to help them take it down, and you'll both gain XP, quest credit, and loot for it. Even if you're not grouped with them!

I love you GW2 and what you did to improve other games.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

LOVE that they are adding open tagging. Now, if they could just do what GW2 does with resource nodes so that we would not have to fight over them.

Also very enthused with the Level Up changes. I never really understood all the facets that defined player characteristics/powers/skills etc. and the videos I have seen did not help. This new level up system seems much cleaner and clearer. 

The quest changes are meh to me. I do not mind killing x creatures. Having a number gives me a goal. The new system sounds interesting but not NEARLY as interesting as the open tagging and Level Up changes. Still, got to give Carbine credit for looking outside the box.

Carbine continues to impress. REALLY looking forward to this game.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by SoMuchMass

Big difference is that now that feature will be in a hopefully good game, instead of a mediocre flop.

Not sure how I feel about open mob tagging yet, to me it encourages zerg gameplay instead of actual teamwork.  With open tagging there is also less communication between players.  With no open tagging players have to talk to each other and want to form groups.  I have formed so many groups with players when we were both on the same quest.  And we talked to each other instead of randomly zerging mobs.

Completely disagree. Open tagging encourages player interaction. Someone just helped you - maybe they want to group? Personally I have had much more player contact playing open tagging games then the "do your own thing" games. 

• ZeGermanZeGerman Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Originally posted by tordurbar
    Originally posted by SoMuchMass

Completely disagree. Open tagging encourages player interaction. Someone just helped you - maybe they want to group? Personally I have had much more player contact playing open tagging games then the "do your own thing" games. 

I get what somuchmass is saying but the problem is those days of MMORPGs are over, yes in the early wow and everquest era you really did form spontaneous groups trying to beat content, but MMO's have become so solo friendly these days that it just doesnt happen anymore, the mentality of the player base is that if have to be able to do it without a party and thus the only way to encourage cooperative play is with something like open tagging.

This is not about the ideal solution its about fixing a problem inherent to the modern mmo community.  I would love to see people go back to the older philosophies that made MMO's more challenging and multiplayer centric but i don't see it happening with the modern community, too much of a dammage for solo and grind content.