Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] EverQuest II: Will You Answer the Hero’s Call?

Comments

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by Zorgo

Talk about glass half empty philosophy.

Look at it this way - everyone who feels that modern mmo's provide no challenge - having to master a lvl 85 toon without being eased into it may pose an interest to someone who wants their game to not be in easy mode.

But I agree. This likely does appeal more to existing players than new players. And I agree - they have monetized it for profit.....almost like they're running some sort of hybrid/f2p business model. The nerve.

They heavily monetize on it, as they gonna charge 35 bucks per heroic character.

It´s only appealing for the veteran players who already have one ore more chars and seen the 1-85 content!

As New player it would be stupid to buy such a character, as you will be skipping the best content this game has to offer.

Vanilla EQ2 and Desert of Flames, Kingdom of Sky, Echoes of Faydwer and Rise of Kunark contain the best content the game has to offer. It has the best quests, stories and lore in the game. Some really awesome Heroic and Heritage questlines.

After that, it all went downhill With mehh content really. I really didn´t enjoy the 80+ content much at all. Full of daily repeatable crap quests and very few storyline quests.

So if I were a New player, I would rather invest the 35 bucks in the Age of Discovery feature expansion pack and get a Mercenary and duo the heroic lvl 1 - 85 content, heroic and Heritage quests and other fantastic storylines. Which you can easily do now With MC and Legendary gear.

Much more fun, then buying an insta lvl85 character and be overwhelmed by 4 full hotbars and start into subpar content With a class you know nothing about.

But that´s just my 2 cents.

You conveniently left out the group of players that isnt new players or veterans.  Reutnring players (that probably dont want to play catchup to their friends and guildies) .  Which is the obvious target for this.  

And this is the exact type of thing that should be monetized anyway.  They also have over the course of the last year removed every major restriction from f2p.  God forbid they try to replace the income they are forgoing elsewhere.

• KoroshiyaKoroshiya Member UncommonPosts: 265

it's an 85 in legi gear give me a break people.  You act like the sky is falling.

I would wager a bet that some of you just need to be upset about "something" and this is your "something" for this month.

“The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off , why should I. Light up the darkness” – Bob Marley

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

I've returned to MMO's several times over the years and one thing I find myself doing over and over is deleting characters in the mid levels, alts I didn't play very often. Why would I do it? Simply because I felt the need to re-learn how to play them, properly.

These offers of instant max level characters have never been of interest to me because, as already pointed out, you have no idea how to play the character. You can sit and read all the skill and abilities but without that playtime and experience of when to use certain skills, how to get the best out of your character, it's pointless. You're basically no use to anyone and in some cases you're a liability.

It's as bad as buying a char off Ebay, and we all know how players treat people who do that.

• darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581

sadly everquest 2 is not very simple on their abilities and there terminology is lacking of detail of what things does on their abilities... as the people such as I who never gotten a character up to max level or purchases any of the expansions, the game needs to be more simple for us to understand...

Everquest 2 also lack some newbie guides and guides on how to become effecient for your class, no matter how much I search up, I've end up finding out of date guides that don't work, and people telling me to go follow someone elses build, but that too lack so much information that i need.

This is one the reason why i stick to world of warcraft, is that world of warcraft is simple to understand, there is shit-tons of resources for me to follow to get to know what my character does, what abilities i should use on a rotation, what my abilties does, how to gear up my character, and what are these stats and how do they work...

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    associated soe video
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I wonder if they could just eliminate lvls in this game altogether. With this feature cheapening any feeling of accomplishment. It would be a monumental task...possibly put a lot more into the AA system to use that for character building. At least all the content could be viable or at least challenging.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    This new trend of offering high level characters is so dumb. Instead of doing something stupid and totally ruining their games why don't they actually update the leveling content and make it worthwhile?
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    Originally posted by Vannor
    This new trend of offering high level characters is so dumb. Instead of doing something stupid and totally ruining their games why don't they actually update the leveling content and make it worthwhile?

How would updating the leveling content fix the fact that the game is extremely top heavy?  you could make it the best content in mmorpg history and it would still be the same 5 people in each zone doing it that there are now.  

It is an impossibility to revitalize lower level content in a 9 year old game.  It will never happen no matter what they do.  WoW revamped their old content with cataclysm and they did an amazing job with it.   Tons of memorable quest lines with either great storytelling, great humor, or in many cases both.  nobody cared.  They just try to get to max level as fast as possible.  Blizzard considers revamping the content one of the biggest mistakes they have made, because that time would have been better spent on max level content.

I enjoy the leveling process and am not even considering using the free heroic character, but I dont think its 'dumb', i think its a great idea (although i would have used level 80).  It will draw some people back into the game.  many people choose to power level anyway so the whole 'wont know how to play class' isnt that relevant.  And the people that dont pl are usually soloing because low level groups are non existent.  And soloing you only use a fraction of your abilities so you still have to learn your character at max level anyway.

There will certainly be some people in shock at the eq2 ability bloat though.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by JeroKane

New or casual players can be overwhelmed by the size of the world and this system allows them to get right in and join their friends.

Ehmm lol. And have them creating Instant lvl85 characters won´t overwhelm them?

They won´t even know how to play said character!

They will have 4 hotbars filled With skills, abilities, buffs, debuffs, etc and have no Clue what and how to use them.

Not to mention all the AA and Heroic AA.  Having an AA template doesn´t change that. As they still don´t know the idea and Choices behind it.

These Instant lvl85 characters will be far more overwhelming for New players then the vast world to Level a New character in. Which used to be what the game was all about. Leveling up characters through an amazing and huge world filled With great content and story and lore. /shrug

They should just come and say the truth!

The primary reason is not New players, but the existing players who have leveled up a couple chars and want some more and just dont feel like leveling anymore and just buy straigh lvl85 chars With "real" cash!

That´s the REAL reason behind it!  And not because of New players.

It´s just another cash cow item targeted at the veteran playerbase. /shrug

Actually they wont be overwhelmed. They introduced CATs in a recent patch which give you 3 predetermined AA setups. One for solo, one for groups and one for PvP. These are designed to be easy to play specs rather than optimal. They are all instantly filled out for you and go all the way up to max AA.

They also have laid out all the hotbars in a logical order, and if you do the trial characters it gives these skills to you over time so you arent overwhelmed.

They have also put the characters in the world at the start of the Destiny of Velious questline, which is very linear.

They honestly couldnt have made it any easier for new players if they tried. Its no more confusing than making a brand new character and getting 10 AA at level 10.

Everquest 2 is a game that requires out of game research, or lots of in game playing around with meters. Theres no way they can make it easier for people. Regardless of what level they start at. Also the skills and strategies you use while leveling are completely redundant when you start grouping.  

Existing players just powerlevel their alts or use plat to powerlevel. My last alt took about 6 hours to get to max and AA level thanks to my friends Shadowknight. If someone wants to spend $35 instead, who cares? Theres no challenge in leveling anymore.

If people want to see the lower level content, they can Chronomentor. Its not like the content is locked off from them to never see again.

Is it a cash grab? Yeah sure, everything is with SoE. But it (along with the armor restriction removal) has already injected new / old blood into the game. If bypassing old solo content gets more people into the game, and gives SoE more revenue, I don't see how that is a bad thing.

Originally posted by Vannor

Because its a large waste of resources that could be better spent on max level content that the current playerbase desires.

Originally posted by darkedone02

sadly everquest 2 is not very simple on their abilities and there terminology is lacking of detail of what things does on their abilities... as the people such as I who never gotten a character up to max level or purchases any of the expansions, the game needs to be more simple for us to understand...

Everquest 2 also lack some newbie guides and guides on how to become effecient for your class, no matter how much I search up, I've end up finding out of date guides that don't work, and people telling me to go follow someone elses build, but that too lack so much information that i need.

This is one the reason why i stick to world of warcraft, is that world of warcraft is simple to understand, there is shit-tons of resources for me to follow to get to know what my character does, what abilities i should use on a rotation, what my abilties does, how to gear up my character, and what are these stats and how do they work...

EQ2 stats are pretty self explainatory, if you bother to read what they do in the tool tips. Likewise most characters can be played with 1 to 4 supermacros.  Just put all your abilities in a macro based on damage, threat or heal priority. 

There are only a handful of situational skills.  

Not sure when the last time you played, but most skills got detailed descriptions around the TSO era. As long as you read what they do its pretty easy to comprehend.

• Riposte.ThisRiposte.This Member Posts: 192
    lol, wtf experience old content? This game has no one to experience the old content with, and even when people join the game, or make a new character they just get power leveled to max level and never really pay attention to their spells etc anyways. End game is really all that there is left to this game, and it sucks because I personally love EQ2.

Killing dragons is my shit

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401

This is not what would get me back into the game.

I've tried to get into it again, but, it's way to easy. All content that used to have a requirement of a group is soloable and the soloable content you walk over with your eyes closed.

So, what I would like to play is the EQ2 that once was released. That difficulty including corpse runs and all. Give that back to me and I will come back.

Currently, all new created characters don't need to group at all, but, if they did, I believe that the game would come alive again.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

My only thought is......what in the world are those fuzzy wings on the character in the picture.. 

Ugh...

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    Originally posted by zellmer

My only thought is......what in the world are those fuzzy wings on the character in the picture.. 

Ugh...

...thats his cape flapping behind him while in flight.

• vzerovvzerov Member Posts: 125
    Originally posted by Dauzqul
    This does not make me want to play. What would, however, make me play is an eq2 version of the eq1 progression server.

This, old eq and old eq2 were both better, they got nged, sadly.

• VandalicaVandalica Member UncommonPosts: 4
    SOE and ProSiebenSat.1 Games after the theft of the DCUO especially by  ProSiebenSat.1 Games never with these companies. He wiped almost all appeals from his forum. And the problems are solved by the ban most players who complained.   ProSiebenSat.1 Games the worst company ever.
  • RogoshRogosh Member UncommonPosts: 208
    nOpe

"Its better to look ugly and win than pretty and lose"

Originally posted by Riposte.This
    lol, wtf experience old content? This game has no one to experience the old content with, and even when people join the game, or make a new character they just get power leveled to max level and never really pay attention to their spells etc anyways. End game is really all that there is left to this game, and it sucks because I personally love EQ2.

This is exactly why they did this.  No one levels the right way anymore.  Its all pling.  i find it disgusting, but it is what it is.

On AB (and probably freeport) if you work at it you can get groups sometimes for low/mid level stuff, but not reliably.  And forget about it on the rest of the servers.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Looks like SOE is getting desperate.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Epic fail...

Returned to the simple WoW, and could not even play my old level characters, because they had to much abbilities to remember...

The leveling process is the only way to learn how to play your character in games that cater dozens of spells and abbilities for every class.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Vandalica
    SOE and ProSiebenSat.1 Games after the theft of the DCUO especially by  ProSiebenSat.1 Games never with these companies. He wiped almost all appeals from his forum. And the problems are solved by the ban most players who complained.   ProSiebenSat.1 Games the worst company ever.

What did they do to DCUo?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Vandalica

What did they do to DCUo?

one Euro players experience

http://www.shelfabuse.com/column/dcuo/

it didnt go over well and  SOE acknowledged the DCUO problems

http://eq2wire.com/2012/08/17/prosiebensat-1-multiple-accounts-authenticators-and-remote-access/

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

The leveling process is the only way to learn how to play your character in games that cater dozens of spells and abbilities for every class.

this is 100% false.

In fact, in most games you play your character completely different while leveling and only use a fraction of your skills. EQ2 especially.

And you have more than enough gameplay time to learn a EQ2 heroic character before you hit max level.  Its just a LOT of reading abilities up front.

• quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234
    did they remove the stupid prestige gear limitation on ftp players ? cause thats what drove me off